Copa Semifinals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Copa Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Final thought on Argentina and a lesson on how the USA needs to play. When Argentina loses the ball, on offense, they immediately press you to get the ball back. The result of the press will be either they get the ball back or they will foul you and prevent the defense from starting the counter attack. A nice benefit of this strategy is that the fouls do not occur on your side of the field and you don't deal with Messi free kicks.

Damn... I am pissed.

Reaction Score
One of the best free kicks I have ever seen from Messi and we faced a fully locked and loaded aFa with our B- team. Can't say I am surprised and hope we have a great showing in the next game. Bring in the young guns.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Final thought on Argentina and a lesson on how the USA needs to play. When Argentina loses the ball, on offense, they immediately press you to get the ball back. The result of the press will be either they get the ball back or they will foul you and prevent the defense from starting the counter attack. A nice benefit of this strategy is that the fouls do not occur on your side of the field and you don't deal with Messi free kicks.

Damn... I am pissed.

Yes, a strategy best employed by skillful, fast players. Not the three guys on you bench who are soon applying for AARP cards and who weren't fast when they were young.

Only one guy even tried it, Zardes.

Reaction Score
Still, the team had a successful tourney, especially if they win the next game. Hopefully we get a second shot at Columbia, a team that look very suspect .

Reaction Score
He's really emblematic of the limitations of MLS-based American players right now.

A lot of guys' games don't suffer when they move to MLS, but Bradley's has completely gone to hell.

Reaction Score
A lot of guys' games don't suffer when they move to MLS, but Bradley's has completely gone to hell.

In all honesty he was not that good at Roma, he started to show promise in the Bundesliga in his early years.

Reaction Score
Bradley was putrid. And really the lineup was awful with Wondo and Beckerman in there.

We might have had some actual shots on goal with Wood and Company, but Argentina was just so much better.

First goal was a bad play by Guzan.

Second goal came off a dumb foul by Wondo.

Forgot the third one, but Steve Birnbaum caused the 4th by turning over where he did.

Reaction Score
We did not play that bad, we just are not that good (compared to ARG). Once I saw Wondo and Beckerman in the game, I knew we were done. And Bradley has regressed where he should not be in the 11. Put Nagbe in the come September.

Reaction Score
A lot? Some yes, but a lot of players moving from top 5 leagues? Other than some designated players, again some not all guys moving from good leagues; especially from good European leagues. Again, example of a lot is a stretch.

Bradley's game evolved with Heerenven and Borussia Monchengladbach, hit a wall with Astin Villa, improved with Chievo and even with Roma despite less playing time, yet has gone nowhere forward with Toronto. Comforts of home (North America), good compensation, but arguably no improvement and apparent regression in quality.

Reaction Score
A lot? Some yes, but a lot of players moving from top 5 leagues? Other than some designated players, again some not all guys moving from good leagues; especially from good European leagues. Again, example of a lot is a stretch.

Bradley's game evolved with Heerenven and Borussia Monchengladbach, hit a wall with Astin Villa, improved with Chievo and even with Roma despite less playing time, yet has gone nowhere forward with Toronto. Comforts of home (North America), good compensation, but arguably no improvement and apparent regression in quality.

Jozy....

Jozy is done developing.

The whole Michael Bradley thing is kind of a bummer. The MLS people railed on Jurgen for the past two years, basically since Brazil over using him in a more forward role. So he gets moved back to holding role in this tournament and now he's reduced to receiving the ball from the centerbacks.

I think that in order to get the most out of Michael Bradley again, it won't happen until we go to a double pivot with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 where he is lined up next to a true #6 dmid. I think that having be the dmid and the box to box QB is too much for him.

The problem is that this is his role with Toronto and he's not exactly setting the world on fire there. So I'm not sure it's worth it to reengineer the entire system for MB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pulisic looked like he belonged, though a bit outmatched skill wise. Nagle also didn't embarrass himself.

You could tell the guys who are too slow of foot and mind to play at that level.

I would have liked to see what would of happened if everyone didn't panic with the ball like it was a live grenade. I haven't seen that many blind one touch passes from the US in a long time.

Missing Wood and Jones was cructial. Neither Bradley, Beckerman, or Wondolowski can cover the same amount of ground effectively. Zardes shining in Wood's role only makes that more obvious. My fears of no Wood, no goals, no chances for Dempsey came through in spades.

Reaction Score
Yes Argentina is very good with a world class offense. But we also made their defense look world class and they are not.
The USA offense was completely inept. You can probably trace that to Wood. But this continues to be a terrible team with first touches, many which are straight give aways. This is a team wide problem. So is just kicking the ball straight to defenders. Just awful. Good tournament overall. They will always be also rans until they learn how to value the ball.
At some point we need to sit Bradley. If only to get his attention. Like sending a guy to Triple A.

Reaction Score
Yes Argentina is very good with a world class offense. But we also made their defense look world class and they are not.
The USA offense was completely inept. You can probably trace that to Wood. But this continues to be a terrible team with first touches, many which are straight give aways. This is a team wide problem. So is just kicking the ball straight to defenders. Just awful. Good tournament overall. They will always be also rans until they learn how to value the ball.
At some point we need to sit Bradley. If only to get his attention. Like sending a guy to Triple A.

Disagree. Argentina's defense is very organized, they aren't Italy but they are damn good. And by starting Wondo and Beckerman we were basically playing two men down in possession.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bradley was putrid. And really the lineup was awful with Wondo and Beckerman in there.

Forgot the third one, but Steve Birnbaum caused the 4th by turning over where he did.
No, that one was on Bradley for the poor pass.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Argentina's defense is very organized, they aren't Italy but they are damn good. And by starting Wondo and Beckerman we were basically playing two men down in possession.
Venezuela gave them fits. They aren't much better than us.

Reaction Score
Pulisic looked like he belonged, though a bit outmatched skill wise. Nagle also didn't embarrass himself.

You could tell the guys who are too slow of foot and mind to play at that level.

I would have liked to see what would of happened if everyone didn't panic with the ball like it was a live grenade. I haven't seen that many blind one touch passes from the US in a long time.

Missing Wood and Jones was cructial. Neither Bradley, Beckerman, or Wondolowski can cover the same amount of ground effectively. Zardes shining in Wood's role only makes that more obvious. My fears of no Wood, no goals, no chances for Dempsey came through in spades.

This was a game that called for organization and possession. Wondo, Beckerman, Zardes and Zusi were not the right guys.

For some dumb reason JK sees Zardes as a wing player, even though he is a #9. Zardes would have been a better partner up top.

And Birnbaum! Wtf was that?

I still like Jurgen but that lineup was horrendous.

Reaction Score
Venezuela gave them fits. They aren't much better than us.

They play Argentina more often, and probably weren't missing three starters. Plus, no Beckerman.

Reaction Score
No, that one was on Bradley for the poor pass.

It still looked like he could have gotten to it. But as Landon noted, the passing and the touches were horrendous across the board.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yes, but you and @Palatine are both right. We made them look good by not presenting any threat. It was a terrible strategy. Italy can sit back and defend and run counters because you know damned well that their forwards and midfielders can torch your defense if you are caught too far forward. The reason we couldn't possess the ball was due to their relentless offensive pressure, which they could only manage due to the ineffectiveness of our offensive players.

Reaction Score
They play Argentina more often, and probably weren't missing three starters. Plus, no Beckerman.
I know you watch much more soccer than I do.

Still, we made it way to easy for them to play defense by constantly making ill-advised passes and unforced give aways. In a way it was impossible to tell if their defense was any good because our offense was so bad on its own.

Reaction Score
Yes, but you and @Palatine are both right. We made them look good by not presenting any threat. It was a terrible strategy. Italy can sit back and defend and run counters because you know damned well that their forwards and midfielders can torch your defense if you are caught too far forward. The reason we couldn't possess the ball was due to their relentless offensive pressure, which they could only manage due to the ineffectiveness of our offensive players.

Fair enough. When your two best midfielders are suspended games like yesterday can happen. And Beckerman really impaired things.

I know you watch much more soccer than I do.

Still, we made it way to easy for them to play defense by constantly making ill-advised passes and unforced give aways. In a way it was impossible to tell if their defense was any good because our offense was so bad on its own.

There was simply no excuse for the bad passing. Even with poor personnel selection.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fair enough. When your two best midfielders are suspended games like yesterday can happen. And Beckerman really impaired things.

There was simply no excuse for the bad passing. Even with poor personnel selection.

Yes, and your most dangerous forward in terms of getting behind the defense. Woods, Bedoya and Jones maybe keep that game at 2-0, and the U.S. at least notches a shot or two on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom