Copa America Centenario - US Hosting | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario - US Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How did Haiti qualify for this tourney?
I think it was by invitation.
Haiti beat Trinidad & Tobago in a "play-in" game 1-0 back in January to qualify.
Panama beat Cuba 4-0 in their "play-in" game to qualify.
US (as the host), Mexico, CR, and Jamaica were invited

Reaction Score
I have 4 tickets to the Bolivia v Chile game tomorrow at Gillette. Looking to unload them. Lower level seats, willing to take less than face value. Inbox me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL if Columbia and CR strike up some kind of deal to screw us.

That's going to be hard to do. If U.S. wins, they are in. If we tie, especially not 0-0, we are in pretty good shape. CR would need to win by 3 goals because of our goal differential...that will look fishy for a team that has been shut out so far. Even if they win by 2, it goes to goals scored and we'd prevail, especially if we tie 1-1- or 2-2.

Tiebreakers

If two or more teams are tied after group play is finished, the first tiebreaker is goal-difference (the team's goals scored minus its goals allowed). If teams' goal difference is equal, the second tiebreaker is goals scored. If teams are still tied, then head-to-head results are used to break the tie. If all that fails, lots will be drawn to determine which team(s) advance.

Reaction Score
That's going to be hard to do. If U.S. wins, they are in. If we tie, especially not 0-0, we are in pretty good shape. CR would need to win by 3 goals because of our goal differential...that will look fishy for a team that has been shut out so far. Even if they win by 2, it goes to goals scored and we'd prevail, especially if we tie 1-1- or 2-2.

Tiebreakers

If two or more teams are tied after group play is finished, the first tiebreaker is goal-difference (the team's goals scored minus its goals allowed). If teams' goal difference is equal, the second tiebreaker is goals scored. If teams are still tied, then head-to-head results are used to break the tie. If all that fails, lots will be drawn to determine which team(s) advance.

It's even more extreme than that, isn't it?

We have a GD of +2
CR has a GD of -4

If we draw, our GD doesn't change, and CR needs to improve not by 2 or 3 goals, but by 6(!) goals.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's even more extreme than that, isn't it?

We have a GD of +2
CR has a GD of -4

If we draw, our GD doesn't change, and CR needs to improve not by 2 or 3 goals, but by 6(!) goals.

Yes, I forgot their -4 and was just looking at ours. Essentially a draw gets us in, although I think we will win.

Reaction Score
Colombia is not losing by 6 or more goals to CR. Too many soccer officials have already been indicted and arrested for anyone involved to allow that to happen. If it did happen, Colombia would fly back after the tournament with empty seats on the plane.

We only need a draw. I expect to win both because we should win and because Paraguay is out with a draw and in probably in with a win, so they will have to push the play, allowing us the same kind of gaping holes between the midfielders and the backs that we exploited against CR.

Reaction Score
Ecuador v Peru ... showed us all innocents US fans the high excitement of a draw. That was pretty incredible.

Reaction Score
Last night's game was like watching hockey. Two teams scrapping up and down the field. Final group matches should offer some fantastic battles.

Just saw Suarez may be out for the tournament. Too bad

Reaction Score
Last night's game was like watching hockey. Two teams scrapping up and down the field. Final group matches should offer some fantastic battles.

Just saw Suarez may be out for the tournament. Too bad

Uruguay may noit even advance, shocking

Reaction Score
Mexico vs Jamaica ?????????????? Are you kidding me???????

First, Blake the Husky is playing great But my God, the ref. The 63 minute non penalty is OUTRAGEOUS. Actually the play in the first half was also a penalty. The ref should never put a foot on the field.

EDIT: Probably a third non penalty call.

Reaction Score
Uruguay being out will hurt the prestige of this tournament a bit.

Reaction Score
If I were a big fan of Jamaica soccer I'd be pissed. The refereeing in that game was terrible. As mentioned above, one obvious missed PK call, and another close/could have gone either way non-call. Beyond that though, Jamaica really only has themselves to blame. They had enough point blank opportunities that were either poorly played and resulted in no shot, hit hard but right at Ochoa, deflected, or Ochoa made a couple nice stops. IMO, they deserved a draw, but is what it is. Fun game to watch for casual fans though.

As for Mexico and their group stage draw (geographically speaking).... this might as well be a home tournament for them. Uruguay in Arizona, Jamaica in LA, and then Venezuela in Houston. All border states with massive Mexican populations.
Props to their fans tho, they are showing up in force and creating an Azteca like environment.

Reaction Score
The group stage is just over 50% complete, so still a lot of games to be played, but the QF's are shaping up to be:
Colombia v Ecuador in Seattle (assuming Ecuador beats Haiti and Brazil beats or draws v Peru)
Argentina v Venezuela or Mexico in Foxborough (whoever is the runner up of Mex-Ven)
the two winners of the games above will play in Houston
Brazil v USA or Paraguay in East Rutherford (whoever finishes 2nd between US-Par)
Mexico or Venezuela v Chile in Santa Clara (whoever wins group of Mex-Ven)
these winners will play in Chicago

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
All Hail Messi....that Free kick was sick....to score a hat trick when coming on in the 62' is just insane.

Reaction Score
Stuff of legends. The crowd is chanting Messi, Messi, he comes on the pitch and produces.

Reaction Score
Yedlin tossed, wonderful, perfect timing in such a huge game.Gad

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This game is getting out of control...Ref is losing control of the game it seems

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Aside from letting his man split the CB's, Brooks played a perfect game. A lot better since the Gold Cup in is positioning and awareness. If he and Cameron can play together like that, we've found our center backs for Russia.

The entire back line aside from Yedlin's occasional lapse have been excellent. Jones has been a monster and Bedoya has also played really well in all three games.

Guzan made four huge saves tonight. If you are a US fan, you can't ask for a much better performance after they went a man down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom