Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did I say there haven't been worse?

Maybe he's turned it around for good but it isn't like there weren't respectedp voices pointing out the disappointments just 2 weeks ago.

He settled on a team - maybe he's learning.

Which respected voices?

He settled on a team after trial and error.

We went through the same gyration last cycle. Everyone freaked out and then we won the Hex.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which respected voices?

He settled on a team after trial and error.

We went through the same gyration last cycle. Everyone freaked out and then we won the Hex.

Serrano is the google monkey but I don't think he spends much time on the soccer board.

If all of the constant changes and playing guys out of position was to make a run in this tourney then kudos to him.

This was a great result for him even if they get drilled next week - it he wins the hex again then I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

Reaction Score
We're not beating the Argies.

But since we actually have to put the best lineup out there...JK has almost no choice but to start Nagbe.

There is no choice between Beckerman and Nagbe. Beckerman is a dmid, and Nagbe is either box to box or the attacking mid.

Zardes should start next to Dempsey if this is a 4-4-2.

Pulisic will play for sure since we'll need a goal or two late.

Reaction Score
Serrano is the google monkey but I don't think he spends much time on the soccer board.

If all of the constant changes and playing guys out of position was to make a run in this tourney then kudos to him.

This was a great result for him even if they get drilled next week - it he wins the hex again then I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

The lack of a google monkey doesn't negate the burden of proof:)

It's called trying to get the best 11 players in every lineup.

I know this is difficult for people to understand, but in international soccer players often play different positions.

I was just watching Croatia and Rakitic was playing striker. He plays a different position for Barcelona got sure. If people would bother to look, they would see that this sort of thing is common..

Also, I don't care what happens in friendlies. They don't matter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LOL. Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

If you want to waste the limited number of attacking possession we'll get vs. Argentina, by all means don't listen. Both of his non PK goals were scored exactly how I said they would.

We were a actually lucky to hold on last night. Ecuador missed a number of free headers in the box.

Reaction Score

But since we actually have to put the best lineup out there...JK has almost no choice but to start Nagbe.

There is no choice between Beckerman and Nagbe. Beckerman is a dmid, and Nagbe is either box to box or the attacking mid.

The choice between Beckerman and Nagbe exists because they are playing alongside Bradley. You play Beckerman and he's behind Bradley, with Bradley playing more forward than he has this tourney. You want to play Nagbe, he plays in front of Bradley.

Reaction Score
The choice between Beckerman and Nagbe exists because they are playing alongside Bradley. You play Beckerman and he's behind Bradley, with Bradley playing more forward than he has this tourney. You want to play Nagbe, he plays in front of Bradley.

It doesn't exist. They aren't competing for the same spot. They aren't like for like.

Bradley is going to be the pivot. Beckerman would imply a double pivot.

Putting in Beckerman would put Bradley in the box to box role. And frankly Bradley has been a little better than putrid.

Even if it is a 4-4-2, it won't be an empty bucket. It will be a diamond with Nagbe in the hole or on the outside.

Reaction Score
Not so sure how once again aggressively playing for and achieving a lead in the first half, then adding to the lead against a solid, aggressive, physical albeit cheap shot at times opponent and holding on to win connotes luck, but the US also had its' own close misses during the game. Ya win, ya win, and we won. End of story, not so different than a March Madness win-and-advance scenario.

Next up, Venezuela, or Argentina. Given the anticipated physical nature of the semi-final opponent, acknowledged rising Bundesliga player or not, it won't surprise for the 19 year Pulisic (sp?) not to start. Right or wrong, somehow Klinsmann's track record is to use Zusi amd Beckerman. Maybe Hr Klinsmann goes for it, includes Nagbe and Pulisic in the starting lineup. Wouldn't bet on it, but certainly don't want to see Wondolowski miss another sitter from 3 feet again, or a few as he is wrought to inexplicably pull out of his bag of tricks.

Not a bad summary: USA beat Ecuador in battle of Seattle to reach Copa América semi-final

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Was that also Dempsey's fault, while watching from the sidelines?

No, but his being subbed out when we need guys to fall back and defend also supports the Dempsey needs to stay in the box theory. All of his great moments occur within 10 feet of the penalty spot. How am I the only one who sees this. He's perfect for that role and should embrace it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I just noticed our semifinal opponent plays us on 3 days rest vs. our 5. There might be some hope after all.

Reaction Score
Team has nothing to lose, play Nagbe, leave Beasley at left back, move Johnson up to mid, try to stretch aFa out. Try to get a goal on a set piece. Tall task, aFa really playing well, they will dispense of Venezuela fairly easily IMO

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yeah I think the only silver lining in the whole Yellow card mess is that our back line is still intact. I think Besler showed he can and should start on that back line. Keep him there and put Yedlin back there. Move Fabian up to his club position in the midfield and add Nagbe. Done.

I've not been big on Zardes and his goals haven't been overly jaw dropping but they're goals. He's been solid this tournament so keep him in. I think we'll miss Wood a lot but there's nothing we can do.

I'd love to have Pulisic out there but you can't trot out a 19 year old against Argentina in one of the biggest matches in recent US history and expect him to be able to perform and not be nervous. I think he'll be a great sub for us if Zardes isn't cutting it or Dempsey is gassed, but I can't see him starting yet. Has he even started a game yet for the USMNT?

Just my thoughts and we'll see what JK does....

Reaction Score

Have to agree, plus Pulisic is only 17. Could you imagine lining up across from the greatest player on the planet at 17??

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah I think the only silver lining in the whole Yellow card mess is that our back line is still intact. I think Besler showed he can and should start on that back line. Keep him there and put Yedlin back there. Move Fabian up to his club position in the midfield and add Nagbe. Done.

This gets my vote.

Reaction Score
Have to agree, plus Pulisic is only 17. Could you imagine lining up across from the greatest player on the planet at 17??

I agree in principle. But when we look at what is available we may not have a choice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Reaction Score
I think Vargas just scored again for Chile.... He went all Diamond Ferri on El Tri, what a shame.

Reaction Score
Vargas will be scoring goals in that game for as many years as Jordan Todman will be running up the middle against Pitt.

As talented as Mexico's team is, apparently it's just another generation of football players who when the going gets touch, collapse. Class act by the fans though throwing things on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom