Coordinator Prediction Thread (HCRE) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coordinator Prediction Thread (HCRE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That was one of the main reasons Edsall left. He couldn't get Hathaway to back him on having admissions loosen up on acceptance criteria for a few key recruits. I think he'll not only respect DB but appreciate how a professional AD with some guts--and the ear of Susan Herbst--operates. I believe DB will be very proactive and supportive of Edsall. He needs his first hire to be a success. Having lots of performance incentives built into the K and a $0 buyout after 3 years, opens up a lot of possibilities going forward.

Where are the contract details? I have seen them referenced a few times, but haven't seen the source (I am sure I just missed it).

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
That was one of the main reasons Edsall left. He couldn't get Hathaway to back him on having admissions loosen up on acceptance criteria for a few key recruits. I think he'll not only respect DB but appreciate how a professional AD with some guts--and the ear of Susan Herbst--operates. I believe DB will be very proactive and supportive of Edsall. He needs his first hire to be a success. Having lots of performance incentives built into the K and a $0 buyout after 3 years, opens up a lot of possibilities going forward.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
makes the most sense of anything out there and no...I am not kissing Nostical's arse.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Give me a motivated 35-45ish OC that has had some recent success (think JMU), that Randy can groom to take over in 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
Maybe Orlovsky would retire to be a QB coach for Edsall but if he can squeeze out another summer in the sun why would he?
with all the years of experience in the NFL I'd be bothered if he doesn't end up back in Storrs coaching... shame on UConn football if that doesn't happen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Tim Polask from ND St. Without even looking him up, I know his team can score a lot and if he can recruit talent to North Dakota I'm guessing he can sell ice to an Eskimo.

Looking over NDST's roster, 75 players came from MN/ND/WI.

Maybe the draw out there is the opportunity to play indoors...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Let's go get this kid!!!

Seems to have a nice arm and can break tackles in open field. OTOH, in pretty much every sequence, the defense is horrendous.

But probably better than Williams.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tim Polask from ND St. Without even looking him up, I know his team can score a lot and if he can recruit talent to North Dakota I'm guessing he can sell ice to an Eskimo.

Ever been to Fargo? That's exactly what he does. ;)

I kid of course. NDSU plays their home games in the 70 degree FargoDome.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ok, now that we've all come to grips that Randy Friggin' Edsall is coming back to lead our boys back into glory, who do we think he'll bring in as OC? Wondering who we could potentially target given money and given our issues right now (conference, geography, instability, recruiting problems, post-Diaco stuff...) I know FAU (Lane Kiffin's new gig) just hired Art Briles kid- Kendal Briles who was OC at Baylor. Kinda crazy, would love to see Randy bring in a higher profile up and coming OC who will develop these kids and take shots down the field. Here's a few options I came up with...

• Donnie Kirkpatrick- James Madison OC (FCS)
  • Tim Polask- North Dakota State OC (FCS)
  • Kirk Ciarrocca- Western Michigan OC
  • Frank Ponce (or) Shawn Clark- App. State Co-OC's
  • Kenny Endenfield- Troy OC
  • Tyson Helton- Western Kentucky OC
  • Brian Wright- Toledo OC
  • Frank Scelfo- Louisiana Tech OC

Other guys in Edsall's past...

• Gary Crowton- Stephen F. Austin OC (FCS)- was on Maryland staff under Edsall (2011)
  • Mike Locksley- Alabama Offensive Analyst- was on Maryland staff under Edsall as OC (2012-2015)

This is quite a list but my question is:
Do you know for a fact that these guys were responsible for the success of these teams offenses or maybe it was the HC that was really calling the plays?

Husky25

Reaction Score
If Orlovsky choose to retire from the least demanding job in Professional football, while making a virtual Brinks truckload of money, then I would welcome him as an offensive assistant. QB coach at best for the first year or two, not Offensive Coordinator just yet. However, when the team is working on shotgun plays out of their own end zone, Danny O is the last guy I want in the QB's ear. ;)

Which henceforth should be referred to as a Kessler:

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
This is quite a list but my question is:
Do you know for a fact that these guys were responsible for the success of these teams offenses or maybe it was the HC that was really calling the plays?
No, just ideas based on offensive success of each school.

Reaction Score
Yes Dan O for QB coach I hope and I mean hope Randy lets an OC let er rip
Playing in the NFL doesn't translate into bring a good coach. It would be a popular move but risky as you want a proven developer of talent at that position

Reaction Score
Playing in the NFL doesn't translate into bring a good coach. It would be a popular move but risky as you want a proven developer of talent at that position
Which is why it makes sense to bring DanO in in another coaching capacity that would also allow him to learn how to be a true QB coach behind the main guy. Keeps those UCONN ties in place from playing career to cosching.

Reaction Score

While I agree with this premise, I think it would be great to have Dan O on staff. Give him a chance to show what he can do. He has had a good mix of clipboard and playing time, which I see as more conducive to learning to teach than playing alone does.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Well that's good, because since Dan was drafted in the Spring of 2005 he's played in 27 total games. That means while he is technically an NFL player, he's worn a headset and held a clipboard for well over 86% of the games his teams have played since graduation. That indicates more of a coach, who happens to be able to throw the ball 40 yards to me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well that's good, because since Dan was drafted in the Spring of 2005 he's played in 27 total games. That means while he is technically an NFL player, he's worn a headset and held a clipboard for well over 86% of the games his teams have played since graduation. That indicates more of a coach, who happens to be able to throw the ball 40 yards to me.

And why do teams keep signing him to be the back up? ...Because he has demonstrated the ability to learn new offenses repeatedly which is a cerebral task.

Husky25

Reaction Score
And why do teams keep signing him to be the back up? ...Because he has demonstrated the ability to learn new offenses repeatedly which is a cerebral task.
To a point, yes, but if you look just a bit deeper, Jim Caldwell and Jim Bob Cooter must be comfortable with him as well. All 3 were in Indy and now with Detroit.

Dan will be a 34 year free agent next year and while I could see him reupping behind Matthews (provided Caldwell doesn't get the ax), he really doesn't have to put on another set of pads in his life. He's made just shy of $10 mil on NFL salary alone and has an estimated net worth of $2.4 Mil according to some sources. He's been in the League for 12 years and is fully vested in the NFLPA pension. Also because he's started the equivalent of less than a full season, the dude is presumably going to live long past the NFL norm...with a fully functioning brain and body intact.

Considering his recent Twitter activity, it would not be a shock to see him in Storrs within a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom