Connecticut Sun Trades Kelsey Bone To Phoenix For Courtney WIlliams | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun Trades Kelsey Bone To Phoenix For Courtney WIlliams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Phoenix is shaking it up!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Courtney Williams as in SFU's Courtney Williams? I thought they should have picked her in the draft to begin with. Are they going for an all rookie roster?
Et

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It seems the Sun didn't get much in exchange for an All Star Center and what will PHX do with Bone?
I thought Phoenix was in good shape with Griner and Bass. I think that Courtney can be very good in this league, but she didn't play much for Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Another move by The Sun that makes no sense. They now have five first round picks fron the 2016 draft. Let's see what happens. Any other franchise would be a winner by next year. Coaches are gong and players are going, yet the GM stays. Why????

They wonder why they cannot draw even 6000 people?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really strange move. Bone may not be a perfect fit, but CT now has no true power post player having traded the two good ones they had. It is hard to find those players and a team can be badly exposed without one. I like Courtney and think she can be a good player down the road in this league - I can see a Tiff Hayes sort of development for her. But CT now has lots of power forwards and no post players.

Reaction Score
Maybe there's a part 2 coming up, parceling another G (like Bentley I hope) and some of those draft picks for a true Center?
I was not a fan of Bentley & Bone so I'm happy one is gone, but I figured something was coming from some of Coach Miller's postgame comments the last couple of games. About it'd be nice to have players run the plays that were called during timeouts.
I never thought of Bentley & Bone as "team players"! Remember the picture of Bentley sitting on the bench with a towel over her head for the whole 2nd 1/2 after going 5 for 15 in 1st 1/2. Most of the starters were benched with her!
Tuck & Jones right now share the C position?
I am not a fan of Sun GM Chris Sienko! I e-mailed 3-4 times each year to tell him how bad his hire of Anne Donovan was!
He never should have fired Mike T. but if he did he should have a great replacement named the next day! Instead he waited over 2 months to hire AD, most likely the last name on his list!

Reaction Score
As others have said here, I am not a fan of Sienko. He should not have fired Mike T. But I was hoping his subsequent blunders were mostly a result of Anne Donovan's influence. This move, it seems is going to be hard to recover from. She was definitely a powerful player and I don't think a team can succeed without toughness inside. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a basketball team that was successful without toughness inside.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The upcoming Sun-Mercury game in a few days just got a bit more interesting. Griner and Bone might combine for 40+ pts.

You need to get your butt out of Krispy Kreme and on to the court. ;)

Well I have the height of a PG.... but the girth of a G ( the NFL variety :oops: ) ....... and truth be told.. I havent been in a Krispy Kreme in years... Donut World has my heart... and stomach ..... just look at the menu and you can see why :eek:

donut world

But in all your minutes you were really great!

Well I'm a true team player :p

Reaction Score
What an odd trade. Surely they could've gotten more for Bone, at least they should have gotten Isabelle Harrison as well.

How happy will Bone be regulated to a backup? She's not starting over Dupree, and Phoenix likes to play Bonner at the 4 (sometimes). Griner will probably get 30 minutes too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a basketball team that was successful without toughness inside.
Maybe Seattle with Sue and Lauren?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I would be totally on board with this if we hadn't given away Elizabeth Williams. That may be the biggest mistake of this "administration" and it just got magnified 10-fold. Can Jonquel Jones and Henry-Morello fill this gap? Not this year for sure and unless JJ starts hitting the weight room and playing a stronger game, not in the next couple years either.

It is not my intent to beat Kelsey up headed out the door. I was a big supporter of hers and think she has the talent to be an elite true center in the W. Her mid range game and low post size was something the Sun really need from the post. She should be a guaranteed double-double every night. But...

Because chemistry has been such an issue here, and because Coach Miller puts such a big emphasis on UConn-like team behaviors, I watch players and their interactions very closely during shoot-arounds, warm-ups and on the bench. Kelsey does not conform to what the team does during warm-ups. She lays on her stomach on the court watching the rest of the team in lay-up lines and then at some point joins in. This does not appear to be special stretching or back exercises. She hangs back when the team goes to the bench to start the game and then sprints in with hand-slaps down the line. She does not greet the opposing team at center court like the rest of her team. She hangs back underneath the basket removing and stowing her necklace and then striding to the circle to jump at the last minute. I am not an X's and O's guy, but I don't think Miller likes the ball to move around well on offense and then stick in Kelsey's hands and she maneuvers, back to the basket, one-on-one (not denying she's pretty good at this when she can finish, but it seems to stall everything). All of this (and there's more) comes off as an air of self-importance and not a team-first attitude. It's "I've got to be me", rather than "We've got to be us".

Sad to say, our other All-Star, Alex Bentley may be heading down the same road. Another extremely talented player who, when things are going well has a great personality and positive demeanor, but when the going gets tough can become Alex on he bench with a towel over her head. Getting Courtney Williams may be the first step on Alex's road out of Uncasville.

I actually feel bad for both Kelsey and Alex because they don't get how important this kind of thing is. Great teams know, and they cultivate, the winning team-first culture. I feel most sad for the long time season ticket holders who, in seemingly diminishing numbers, come to the Arena and watch the Sun push the reset button over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom