Conference USA revenue plummets to $200,000 per school, per year | The Boneyard

Conference USA revenue plummets to $200,000 per school, per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I bet Marshall is kicking itself now. I wonder if Marshall will beg the MAC to take them back?

Once upon a time, Marshall was king of the MAC. Then the school moved to CUSA. Most of CUSA became the AAC and Marshall was left behind. Marshall used to have very short road trips to most MAC opponents and their fans traveled very well to away games. That was not possible in CUSA, but the extra money more than covered the teams travel expenses. Now, Marshall is left with the huge travel expenses in CUSA on only 25% of the MAC revenues.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You know... I bet this message board could almost afford to buy out the TV rights of the Sun Belt. These contracts are actually insane when you consider how little some of these schools are getting. The way this market keeps up you may see a lot of schools trying to get their rights back to sell locally.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it costs every one of the SEC schools 200k a game just for the buffets alone. CUSA schools can barely afford the McDonald's 2 for deal.

Reaction Score
Conference USA made a stupid mistake. ESPN asked CUSA to move some games to a weekday evening to allow for more prominent coverage on ESPN than would happen with only weekend games. CUSA refused. That probably cost them a couple hundred thousand dollars right there. CUSA was anticipating 400K-500K and ended up with 200K per school.

The MAC gets $800K per school and feature weekday games on the ESPN Networks. ESPN airs #MACtion games throughout the week and the MAC strategically utilizes this national exposure to its advantage.

Reaction Score
Wow!

I guess that I did not realize just how vast the gulf between the haves and have nots.

Both FSU and Bama will each make from their single neutral site match as much as the per team payout of all G5 conferences combined.

No wonder some of these programs take money to come play at a P5 home game without return. Michigan payed $1 million for Appalachian State to visit and Nebraska paid a million to FAU. Oklahoma payed $975,0000 to La Tech.

Reaction Score
When you see these type of numbers in black and white you really have to question why any conference outside of the AAC or MWC would even bother to stay at The FBS Level? They are far closer to the top of The FCS than they are to even the bottom of The P5. I'd wager many of the traditional power schools of The FCS such as Eastern Washington, Montana, or NDSU would clean the clocks of much of The G5 Roster. Why not drop back to FCS and play a regional schedule that makes financial sense for your AD?

These schools could immediately shave 20 scholarships off of their bottom line, with the possibility of 20 more if they want to make Title 9 cuts on the women's side. Yes this sucks for student athletes, but regular students shouldn't have to go broke subsidizing teams they clearly don't care about. Many of these schools draw under 20,000 people to their games on a regular basis, if they remain playing many of the same teams what difference does it make?

Most people aren't stupid, if your team is UMASS or FIU, you know that they aren't competing for the same thing as Alabama or Oklahoma. Why not make these teams' contests carry some actual value by integrating them into the FCS Playoff? I know that if I was a fan of one of these schools, I'd rather my team be able to play in a tournament of similar programs that actually crowns a champion on the field, as opposed to keeping my fingers crossed that our 8-9 win season will be good enough to play a 6-6 B1G Team in freaking Detroit over Christmas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know... I bet this message board could almost afford to buy out the TV rights of the Sun Belt. These contracts are actually insane when you consider how little some of these schools are getting. The way this market keeps up you may see a lot of schools trying to get their rights back to sell locally.
Terry Holland AD at ECU tried to get The American to do this. They chose instead to go with the "exposure" of ESPN. I don't know enough to say whether this has been good or bad for the league, but the concept has been around for quite a while for The American.

Reaction Score
The MAC is a regional conference. Conference USA and Sun Belt, not so much.

MAC - 6 schools in Ohio, 3 schools in Michigan, 1 each in Indiana, Illinois and New York.

Reaction Score
I couldn't understand why schools were fighting to be G5
The football money shared by G5 schools was over $80,000m last year
Schools like Umass are not in the loop but would kill to be.
In the last year 2014-2015
The Marshall athletic Dept was not in the red.

Due to a surplus in football and very small non football or basketball expenses.
Their revenue from football was larger than UConn's
At over $9000m.
The're the second most popular team in a smaller state than CT with a worse media rights deal. How could that be? Oh I forgot UConn has sucked for 5 years

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
When you see these type of numbers in black and white you really have to question why any conference outside of the AAC or MWC would even bother to stay at The FBS Level? They are far closer to the top of The FCS than they are to even the bottom of The P5. I'd wager many of the traditional power schools of The FCS such as Eastern Washington, Montana, or NDSU would clean the clocks of much of The G5 Roster. Why not drop back to FCS and play a regional schedule that makes financial sense for your AD?

These schools could immediately shave 20 scholarships off of their bottom line, with the possibility of 20 more if they want to make Title 9 cuts on the women's side. Yes this sucks for student athletes, but regular students shouldn't have to go broke subsidizing teams they clearly don't care about. Many of these schools draw under 20,000 people to their games on a regular basis, if they remain playing many of the same teams what difference does it make?

Most people aren't stupid, if your team is UMASS or FIU, you know that they aren't competing for the same thing as Alabama or Oklahoma. Why not make these teams' contests carry some actual value by integrating them into the FCS Playoff? I know that if I was a fan of one of these schools, I'd rather my team be able to play in a tournament of similar programs that actually crowns a champion on the field, as opposed to keeping my fingers crossed that our 8-9 win season will be good enough to play a 6-6 B1G Team in freaking Detroit over Christmas.
I've been saying this: NCAA D-1 football should break into three subdivisions instead of two: D1-A, D1-AA, D1-AAA. 1-A would be the P5, AAC, MWC, BYU, Army, and Notre Dame. 1-AA would be the MAC, C-USA, Sun Belt, and the four or five best current FCS conferences. 1-AAA would be the lower-tier FCS conferences.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The disparity in dollars is amazing. It really makes no sense. If Wake Forest is playing BC or NC State in football against a MAC or a Marshall team, I am watching the more entertaining game, 9 out of 10 times, that won't be the ACC game. Am I the anomaly?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That plan looks familiar.

It does - and those that are closer to the edge with no hope should take it. Those that can withstand a little sea sickness for a few years should be patient and see what happens.

The reason why nobody blinks and takes that path is because you can no longer recruit. $500k less and games available on TV? Or 500k more and can't recruit outside a 50 mile radius?

You worry about amounts of money that just don't matter.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It does - and those that are closer to the edge with no hope should take it. Those that can withstand a little sea sickness for a few years should be patient and see what happens.

The reason why nobody blinks and takes that path is because you can no longer recruit. $500k less and games available on TV? Or 500k more and can't recruit outside a 50 mile radius?

You worry about amounts of money that just don't matter.

How many CUSA recruits have P5 offers? 10%? The only recruits considering CUSA vs. P5 are 3*'s that are one of 3 or 4 at their position in the class and want playing time, or don't want to win 10 games during their college careers at Vandy or Kentucky. The TV exposure is not going to matter at all for them, and without going into a big detailed argument, there may be 1 or 2 more national games a year under the old deal vs. new deal, and by "national", I mean ESPNU at 9 pm on a Wednesday or 3:30 pm on Saturday against 10 other national games.

Finally, if the industry goes where I think it will go, ESPN will be buying some of that CUSA regional inventory.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How many CUSA recruits have P5 offers? 10%? The only recruits considering CUSA vs. P5 are 3*'s that are one of 3 or 4 at their position in the class and want playing time, or don't want to win 10 games during their college careers at Vandy or Kentucky. The TV exposure is not going to matter at all for them, and without going into a big detailed argument, there may be 1 or 2 more national games a year under the old deal vs. new deal, and by "national", I mean ESPNU at 9 pm on a Wednesday or 3:30 pm on Saturday against 10 other national games.

Finally, if the industry goes where I think it will go, ESPN will be buying some of that CUSA regional inventory.

They aren't recruiting against the P5. They are recruiting to be better than FCS teams. Schools like Marshall are recruiting to go 11-1 and end the season ranked.

The TV exposure is everything. It's the difference between being Arkansas State and New Hampshire.

You should check out the CUSA deal - there are four carriers and anything not on TV is on ESPN3. Do you really not get that is an advantage over Furman or South Carolina State?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
They aren't recruiting against the P5. They are recruiting to be better than FCS teams. Schools like Marshall are recruiting to go 11-1 and end the season ranked.

The TV exposure is everything. It's the difference between being Arkansas State and New Hampshire.

You should check out the CUSA deal - there are four carriers and anything not on TV is on ESPN3. Do you really not get that is an advantage over Furman or South Carolina State?
FCS has TV coverage once the playoffs start. So if you have a bad year, you don't get on TV. We all forget how special it was to be on ESPN back in the day. Now it is common place and if you ask the coaches, they love the exposure.

Dropping back to FCS is a financial death knell for any program. I give C- USA credit for trying BeIN sport and other options.

Reaction Score
The disparity in dollars is amazing. It really makes no sense. If Wake Forest is playing BC or NC State in football against a MAC or a Marshall team, I am watching the more entertaining game, 9 out of 10 times, that won't be the ACC game. Am I the anomaly?

Depends on your locale.....in the east/mid west...yeah, you watch the MAC team....in the south, probably not.

The MAC is really kind of captive fodder for the bigger boys of the Big Ten. They use the MAC for their powder puff games.

Ohio State is 25-0 against the MAC
Michigan is 22-1
Michigan State is 31-3
Penn State is 24-2
Wisconsin is 31-1

A combined 133-7 (about 95%) win ratio for these teams.

Reaction Score
Depends on your locale.....in the east/mid west...yeah, you watch the MAC team....in the south, probably not.

The MAC is really kind of captive fodder for the bigger boys of the Big Ten. They use the MAC for their powder puff games.

Ohio State is 25-0 against the MAC
Michigan is 22-1
Michigan State is 31-3
Penn State is 24-2
Wisconsin is 31-1

A combined 133-7 (about 95%) win ratio for these teams.

?

His post compared the bad ACC teams to the MAC. What does the B1G have to do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom