Conference re-alignment sucked, but UConn Football is in the right place to earn their ticket out | The Boneyard

Conference re-alignment sucked, but UConn Football is in the right place to earn their ticket out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/6/22/8714351/report-american-actually-rising

Great read, an accurate and fair perspective with just a hint of optimism... perfect for this time of year. It actually made me proud to be a Uconn football fan! I did get a kick out of this line
Undeterred by what was clearly an uphill battle, Randy Edsall's Huskies matured quickly, reaching a consistently solid level. It felt almost boring at the time.
It seems like it's been forever since we were complaining about Randy's vanilla offense. What I wouldn't give to go back to the glory years...

Getting back isn't an insurmountable task. This was a refreshing article, I look forward to more like it. Plus, gotta love the Seinfeld joke!

Reaction Score
This reminds me of something that has been nagging at me. What if the AAC can become one of the "p6?" Obviously, if this is UConn's long-term landing spot this would be awesome. However, I'd even welcome it if we moved on to anther conference (I personally think the B1G is the best fit with the most "peer institutions."). Let the AAC recruit like-minded institutions and let them have a seat at the grown up table. Even if we stay in the AAC, that obviously works for me. I'm sure that works for UConn adminstration too.

Reaction Score
Honestly the AAC should be going all in on getting Boise State, BYU and Marshall as members.

If you can take anything away from how the ACC destroyed the Big East it's you need to weaken your competition and cannibalize other conferences.

Taking Boise State away from the Mountain West eliminates that conference as a competitor moving forward. Same deal RE: Marshall and CUSA.

If this place is going to be our home for a while we need to make damn sure it's the best of the G5.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is one flaw in the is article. For most teams the AAC, was a step up. Not so for UConn. The AAC is not a good place to be for it's FB program. The money shift alone is enough to hit the panic button and in the regional rivals all finding homes in the P5 and it's any port in a storm time.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
There is one flaw in the is article. For most teams the AAC, was a step up. Not so for UConn. The AAC is not a good place to be for it's FB program. The money shift alone is enough to hit the panic button and in the regional rivals all finding homes in the P5 and it's any port in a storm time.
Eh... with how good the rest of our AD is, if we started going 10-2 in this conference every year, we'd find a home in the B1G or ACC. We can earn our way out, we just have to win some damn football games.

Reaction Score
I have 2 thoughts. First I don't ever ever want to see UConn AAC and right place ever ever ever used in the same sentence again. 2nd I still think that we are really the best fit for the ACC. All our traditional rivals, geographically perfect academically we fit and honestly the basketball priority is us too. We'd be at best an awkward fit in the Big institutionally and athletically.

Reaction Score
Honestly the AAC should be going all in on getting Boise State, BYU and Marshall as members.

If you can take anything away from how the ACC destroyed the Big East it's you need to weaken your competition and cannibalize other conferences.

Taking Boise State away from the Mountain West eliminates that conference as a competitor moving forward. Same deal RE: Marshall and CUSA.

If this place is going to be our home for a while we need to make damn sure it's the best of the G5.

Boise State is not joining the American. They already had to negotiate exit fees for the last go around. BYU wants into the Big XII but may end up settling for the Mountain State Conference or possibly the American where they have scheduled a number of games. Like Navy Independence is getting difficult. Marshall seems like a huge stretch. UCONN spends 50 Million more on athletics than Marshall. If they were looking to CUSA again, Old Dominion might be a better choice.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/05/22/3196950/boise-state-american-athletic.html

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Take the first four that accept:

BYU, Boise, Colorado State, SDSU, Fresno, Air Force.

But we'd have to deal from a position of strength. It may take 5-10 years for the AAC to solidify its position as the #6 conference.

Reaction Score
thoughts:
  • BYU will end up in the Mountain West with Boise, Air Force, Utah St(a rival and they have some kind of trophy similar to keg of nails), Nevada, SD St. and a biennial trip to Hawaii. Now who wouldn't want to go to ...HAWAII!!!! for their conference championship game?
  • Any more expansion or defection replacements in the AAC will be North of the Mason Dixon
  • The only way UConn may end up in the ACC will be because other schools have left for the SEC and/or the B1G. UCONN IS NOT WANTED IN THE ACC. How many times do they have to be overlooked before some of you get it? If they were wanted they would have been added before Pitt and Louisville. Only way they get added will be a desperate damage control maneuver.

Reaction Score
Then we may be screwed because we bring zero that the Big Ten cares about. Eyeballs? Nope. Tradition? Nope. Major market? No again. We best hope the AAC makes it if you don't think we're on the shortlist for a spot in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Boise State is not joining the American. They already had to negotiate exit fees for the last go around. BYU wants into the Big XII but may end up settling for the Mountain State Conference or possibly the American where they have scheduled a number of games. Like Navy Independence is getting difficult. Marshall seems like a huge stretch. UCONN spends 50 Million more on athletics than Marshall. If they were looking to CUSA again, Old Dominion might be a better choice.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/05/22/3196950/boise-state-american-athletic.html
C Carl - you are right on. I "bumped into" a big time Marshall booster. He said Marshall wants to get into the AAC. He said Marshall has excellent attendence, they travel well but he also said the reality is Marshall doesn't bring any media exposure/potential media upside for the AAC. He admitted Marshall in AAC is a stretch. Looking at what I just typed, it sounds like Marshall is similar to ECU who IS in the AAC.

Reaction Score
thoughts:
  • BYU will end up in the Mountain West with Boise, Air Force, Utah St(a rival and they have some kind of trophy similar to keg of nails), Nevada, SD St. and a biennial trip to Hawaii. Now who wouldn't want to go to ...HAWAII!!!! for their conference championship game?
  • Any more expansion or defection replacements in the AAC will be North of the Mason Dixon
  • The only way UConn may end up in the ACC will be because other schools have left for the SEC and/or the B1G. UCONN IS NOT WANTED IN THE ACC. How many times do they have to be overlooked before some of you get it? If they were wanted they would have been added before Pitt and Louisville. Only way they get added will be a desperate damage control maneuver.
Too bad some here seem to feel that way starry eyed !?! I like to think of it as the arrogant athletic entitlement conference...I wish I couldve liked your comment 4 times....reach up to BC/Cuse or PASS THEM? Which is preferable?

Reaction Score
Then we may be screwed because we bring zero that the Big Ten cares about. Eyeballs? Nope. Tradition? Nope. Major market? No again. We best hope the AAC makes it if you don't think we're on the shortlist for a spot in the ACC.
Wow, that's not even close to accurate. The Connecticut market is a top 35 media market and situated next to the largest. Connecticut has one of the highest HHIs in the country, making it an advertiser's dream. UConn is the state's flagship university and a Top 20 ranked national university. The school is the most successful men's college basketball program in the last 20 years. It has the top women's basketball program of all time. It has one of the top soccer programs in the country. It was founded over 125 years ago and has PLENTY of historic relevance and tradition. It is perfect for the B1G in every essential way.

Reaction Score
For all the bitching we do about the AAC we have been shiiiety in football and have not won a men's hoops or baseball conference title yet. Granted a men's national championship was sweet but we really need to raise performance all round to justify the bitching

Reaction Score
For all the bitching we do about the AAC we have been shiiiety in football and have not won a men's hoops or baseball conference title yet. Granted a men's national championship was sweet but we really need to raise performance all round to justify the bitching
If you're posting this were doomed. you Jeff Hathaway for the most unimaginative football hire in history you boob.

Reaction Score
C Carl - you are right on. I "bumped into" a big time Marshall booster. He said Marshall wants to get into the AAC. He said Marshall has excellent attendence, they travel well but he also said the reality is Marshall doesn't bring any media exposure/potential media upside for the AAC. He admitted Marshall in AAC is a stretch. Looking at what I just typed, it sounds like Marshall is similar to ECU who IS in the AAC.

ECU is actually a surprisingly good athletic program. They have a beautiful football stadium and draw 50,000 per game. They regularly beat North Carolina North Carolina State and VA Tech in football. They are part of the North Carolina school system. ECU is actually larger than the University of North Carolina.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
ECU is actually a surprisingly good athletic program. They have a beautiful football stadium and draw 50,000 per game. They regularly beat North Carolina North Carolina State and VA Tech in football. They are part of the North Carolina school system. ECU is actually larger than the University of North Carolina.

Something tells me that if we were in the NE-10, you would be saying the same thing about U. of New Haven.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
Something tells me that if we were in the NE-10, you would be saying the same thing about U. of New Haven.

Lol

Reaction Score
That section of the country "Va's/Carolina's" have great fans and their growing...can't think of many I'd rather see than Marshall!?!ECU is in a good place right here in the AAC "for now"!! Remember little old SMU in the seventies? The Pony Express? Whodathunk then they would fall off the face of the FB map then?

Reaction Score
That section of the country "Va's/Carolina's" have great fans and their growing...can't think of many I'd rather see than Marshall!?!ECU is in a good place right here in the AAC "for now"!! Remember little old SMU in the seventies? The Pony Express? Whodathunk then they would fall off the face of the FB map then?
Well, the death penalty for cheating sorta helped that fall.

Reaction Score
If you're posting this were doomed. you Jeff Hathaway for the most unimaginative football hire in history you boob.
I was also concerned when I read this post, but it didn't really say anything about CR. It is just a factual statement than we have not been stellar in all sports in the AAC. But we were told previously that winning doesn't matter in CR. We were also let to believe from this poster that a lifeboat for UConn athletics was on the way by a reliable source at the spring game. So it is difficult to read anything into it.

Reaction Score
No, we're totally still on the map for the next line of realignment. Diaco better succeed for the sake of the football program. Even if he fails, we're still on the map. I've been wondering why the **** we hired another defensive-minded coach. The rest of the conference seems to be smarter with football right now.

The only reason I can think of another defensive-minded coach is to get more players in the NFL. We've had success getting players on defense playing in the NFL more than offense.

Last edited:

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
No, we're totally still on the map for the next line of realignment. Diaco better succeed for the sake of the football program. Even if he fails, we're still on the map. I've been wondering why the **** we hired another defensive-minded coach. The rest of the conference seems to be smarter with football right now.

The only reason I can think of another defensive-minded coach is to get more players in the NFL. We've had success getting players on defense playing in the NFL more than offense.

Hiring a coach is meant to pick the CEO of the team, for program administration. They are chosen for how they will run the whole show, not for how they will manage the offense or defense. They may a style of play on either side of the ball that they advertise, but I am not sure any coach can survive without delegation.

By hiring a first time head coach, we inherit the challenge that said coach will probably stumble on the side of the ball that they are not used to. So HCBD is growing in the role and has hopefully learned to get an offense coordinator that can fit the coaching team but also have strength to manage a side of the ball he's not used to. He strikes me a guy that will do the same.

I guess you can ask that of Warde, did you hire a coach for the program or to make NFL defenders?

Reaction Score

Haha, seriously SM, admit it, ECU, is nice surprise. Actually around 27,000 go to ECU vs. 29,000 to Chapel Hill. All part of the University of North Carolina system. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina

Check out article below.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...-th-straight-acc-win-north-carolina/15833579/

Next time UCONN plays in Greenville, check out the stadium and you may
change the way you think about the Pirates! Sometimes I think some of you guys just don't want the illegitimate children (could have used another word)!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member