College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nan--You chastised me, rightly, for comments about Diamond DeShields, and if I'm not mistaken about speaking about a team member (UC) that wasn't, as I believed, performing up to stuff. Never thinking the kids would be reading this. Obviously, it was something I would never say face to face with them--I have a bit more decency. Jeeze
Point is --since you know FACTUALLY that the Kids read this--it is only fair you occasionally remind us of that FACT -- BEFORE the FACT---and keep some of us from making fools of ourselves--while the UConn WBB is in our minds we are not always thinking of their presence on the Boneyard.
but we expect 16 yr old kids to be mature 24/7/365

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I can state with absolute certainty that parents and some players read the Boneyard. I know this because I spoke with a number of parents in Indy this year. The 'yard is also read by state and some national media writers, recruits, various bloggers, some AAU and/or high school coaches.... You just never know.

Nan, when I first joined the BY, I came from a couple of other boards that were "free fire zones." It was a big change, and the adjustment wasn't immediate. I thought back then that you were perhaps a bit of a control freak; a helicopter, or a mother hen.

Now, years later, it is very clear to me that UConn is a unique WBB program, and the BY is a unique fan board. It plays to a somewhat atypical audience. It requires a different level and type of management. I really appreciate all you do for us. The days of "free fire" boards, if not over, should be over. The risks are too high, and the rewards are too small.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
but we expect 16 yr old kids to be mature 24/7/365
I really don't think so--but it sure appears that way--it's called the HUMAN condition--we expect more from others than ourselves.
Some kids are mature at 16 (whatever Mature really means)---in some cultures it only means OLD--I'm mature!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So UCONN players actually read this forum ??

hmmmmmm......

to a player who shall remain nameless

come back.jpg

Reaction Score
No, what they do is contact the admin of the site to get the pertinent details.

And do the admins release the personal information of it's posters upon request? I may be wrong but I don't remember seeing anything in the board rules that says that the admins are free to dispense private information about their posters. I can understand if it involved a criminal investigation but the NCAA is a private party and has no more right to this information than I. Does this mean I can get anyone's name, email, etc. merely by asking?

I support the position that college athletes and their families have a right to privacy and I am uncomfortable with the idea of trying to contact them directly. But as soon as colleges put turnstiles at the door and started charging admission they turned college athletics into a multi-billion dollar business and is it really so strange that some fans consider the celebrities of this business public figures?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And do the admins release the personal information of it's posters upon request? I may be wrong but I don't remember seeing anything in the board rules that says that the admins are free to dispense private information about their posters. I can understand if it involved a criminal investigation but the NCAA is a private party and has no more right to this information than I. Does this mean I can get anyone's name, email, etc. merely by asking?

I support the position that college athletes and their families have a right to privacy and I am uncomfortable with the idea of trying to contact them directly. But as soon as colleges put turnstiles at the door and started charging admission they turned college athletics into a multi-billion dollar business and is it really so strange that some fans consider the celebrities of this business public figures?

Unless specifically stated, there is no 'right to privacy' inherent in any message board that you post on, just as there is no privacy guarantee on anything else on-line - every purchase you make on the internet unless specifically identified is recorded by the seller and likely sold on as 'database' information for other sellers - that is why email addresses fill up quickly with unsolicited offers - political parties and charities being the worst offenders! When breaches of truly confidential information do occur, there is very little legal recourse for the individuals and generally there remedy is a voluntary action by the entity that was breached as part of a PR effort to beg for your forgiveness. Data mining being a business that is huge in the connected world.

On your second paragraph, yes I agree, it is a minefield, but it has nothing to do with the turnstiles - it has to do with fandom. As soon as the competition is open to the public whether charged or not, it becomes an issue. But like hiring security to protect both the fans and the athletes during the competition, the schools do try to provide other levels of security as well. As with every other part of our society, it can never be perfect, but responsible fans, like responsible citizens, need to be part of that protection.

Reaction Score
Unless specifically stated, there is no 'right to privacy' inherent in any message board that you post on, just as there is no privacy guarantee on anything else on-line - every purchase you make on the internet unless specifically identified is recorded by the seller and likely sold on as 'database' information for other sellers - that is why email addresses fill up quickly with unsolicited offers - political parties and charities being the worst offenders! When breaches of truly confidential information do occur, there is very little legal recourse for the individuals and generally there remedy is a voluntary action by the entity that was breached as part of a PR effort to beg for your forgiveness. Data mining being a business that is huge in the connected world.

On your second paragraph, yes I agree, it is a minefield, but it has nothing to do with the turnstiles - it has to do with fandom. As soon as the competition is open to the public whether charged or not, it becomes an issue. But like hiring security to protect both the fans and the athletes during the competition, the schools do try to provide other levels of security as well. As with every other part of our society, it can never be perfect, but responsible fans, like responsible citizens, need to be part of that protection.

Data mining isn't new--just the area which is mined. The internet makes it almost a gift. If you want Privacy you can stay off the internet or buy top flight SECURITY program/apps

The second highlighted is the one that bugs me---No matter who you are or where you are--no one will ever protect you more effectively than your self--know who you correspond with, where you are, --there are 100 other things you should do to protect YOURSELF--still, people sue others for not doing what they don't do for themselves--(usually if they survive)..

Today Security is a real pain in the butt---but I wouldn't want it any other way. I thank security guards and Homeland folks at the airport--even when delayed--I still breath because they do their jobs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I too have issues with PRIVACY being usurped. If in doing what the NCAA thinks is essential to protect College players or potential recruits that creates a Personal Privacy matter for you--you can sue everyone and every outlet involve, often even if you think you signed away that right. But just the act of investigating and discussing your contacts (if ever there is one) does not violate your privacy--. In the stone age--lawyers would not take a case of little merit--or that you could not show definitely how you were damaged--but it is a new world, even with lawyers.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No, I do not give out personal info to anyone outside law enforcement. What I do is take contact info then PM the poster with that info. I pass on any message but that's it. If the poster wants ignore the message, I won't do anything further.

Having said that, if anyone is breaking a law, threatening, or harassing posters, I will absolutely comply with requests from law enforcement for contact info.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, when I first joined the BY, I came from a couple of other boards that were "free fire zones." It was a big change, and the adjustment wasn't immediate. I thought back then that you were perhaps a bit of a control freak; a helicopter, or a mother hen.

Now, years later, it is very clear to me that UConn is a unique WBB program, and the BY is a unique fan board. It plays to a somewhat atypical audience. It requires a different level and type of management. I really appreciate all you do for us. The days of "free fire" boards, if not over, should be over. The risks are too high, and the rewards are too small.

Go Huskies!
My philosophy is that you can say just about anything but there's no need to be insulting or obnoxious to get the message across. I never understood why some people need to take a pugnacious stance in discussions. I appreciate that the vast majority of folks here can discuss topics like adults.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She retweeted this Orange photo op and one could hardly blame her. All our youngsters have grown up in a media and internet besotted "culture" in which the icons are those who have abandoned cultural norms - like clothes - in order to first gain and then retain notoriety. This just looks like harmless fun when measured against that. I do find counterproductive and repugnant the fans who tweet flat out begging. The other day one recruit put out a request that people stop and when she knows she'll tell everyone. Right on.

I hope the recruits do appreciate that the perceived power they have goes poof as soon as they commit, because they become captive to the NCAA's and conference transfer rules.

Reaction Score
Texas has moved ahead of UConn in volume of fan/social media interactions....the players don't seem to mind and the NCAA couldn't possibly go after all the fans..so it continues....

The NCAA doesnt need to go after individual fans. It just tells the school: get your boosters in line, or else.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Texas has moved ahead of UConn in volume of fan/social media interactions....the players don't seem to mind and the NCAA couldn't possibly go after all the fans..so it continues.....

Carol Polumbo‏@CarolPolumbo
Hey @iball_crzy Meg, we are hooked on you. #HookEm. Burnt orange is the best fall color. Dab it!#TexasWomensBasketball

Cs6dXx6UIAAeZFG.jpg

Cs6dXyHUEAAYfUL.jpg

Wow, you see this kind of pandering in the men's sports... and was always glad that you didn't see this in women's sports. So long to that idea!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No, what they do is contact the admin of the site to get the pertinent details.

Most boosters (an inconsistently applied term as determined by a capricious NCAA) that get into trouble are turned in by fans of opposing teams. It's the other teams' fans that scour bulletin boards looking for violations, then convince their school to file a complaint. As a previous poster has said, two thirds of the SEC complaint against UConn was comprised of posts from the Boneyard. It cost UConn hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire a compliance lawyer to respond to the complaint. The program's and university's reputations were hurt - as well as the reputations of unfairly accused players and parents - because a couple posters on the Boneyard couldn't contain their exuberance.

Maybe fans will get away with defying the NCAA rules but why would they put UConn at risk? Remember, Geno's program was turned in for giving French fries to a recruit, for heaven's sake.

DON'T "HELP" UCONN RECRUIT! It's against NCAA rules and the UConn Compliance Office has asked us, the Boneyard specifically, to stay out of the process. This after the great French fry/cardboard sign/phantom trip from Russia to Atlanta/Boneyard bragging fiasco of a few years ago. Don't give the whackadoos (you know who I'm taking about) any ammunition.

Do you really know the actual names of everyone on this board. And which schools they support ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My philosophy is that you can say just about anything but there's no need to be insulting or obnoxious to get the message across. I never understood why some people need to take a pugnacious stance in discussions. I appreciate that the vast majority of folks here can discuss topics like adults.
And it is the active participation and 'policing' by you and the other moderators that keeps the standards here high - for which most of us thank you. This is the only sports board I actively participate in because it is generally very polite, keeps extraneous stuff to a minimum and separated from the WCBB threads, and does not devolve into tit for tat threads that go on endlessly.
When new posters start up, there is usually a certain learning curve required for them to conform to the high standards - they either come around or leave (or are banned I suspect.)

Great job.

[I know there are a few really interesting posters who we have lost over the years because of the rules and the enforcement of them - always sort to see those folks leave, but the alternative is a lot of extra work for the mods, or likely a descent into the realm of those 'other' sports forums.]

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can state with absolute certainty that parents and some players read the Boneyard. I know this because I spoke with a number of parents in Indy this year. The 'yard is also read by state and some national media writers, recruits, various bloggers, some AAU and/or high school coaches. I, personally, got interviewed by Morley Safer for the 60 Minutes show on the UConn women's program years ago but ended up on the editing room floor. But the 60 Minutes folks got my name from reading the Boneyard. You just never know.
Wait. They read the Boneyard and didn't want to interview me??? :eek:
Shocked, I'm shocked.

im_shocked.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Texas has moved ahead of UConn in volume of fan/social media interactions....the players don't seem to mind and the NCAA couldn't possibly go after all the fans..so it continues.....

Carol Polumbo‏@CarolPolumbo
Hey @iball_crzy Meg, we are hooked on you. #HookEm. Burnt orange is the best fall color. Dab it!#TexasWomensBasketball

Carol Polumbo is the lead managing partner at a firm in Austin. You'd think she'd realize what she's doing is a recruiting violation.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Folks a while back Tenn filed a 37 page NCAA violation against UConn. Except for a minor phone call it was thrown out. Many teams would like nothing more then to see UConn destroyed so they can get more recruits and level the playing field. DONT LET IT BE YOU that screws up this team that Geno and his coaching staff have worked so hard to build for over 20 years tand make it a dynasty. We have something really great dont let you be the one to destroy it. Back off the social media and dont worry about what other fans from other teams do. Dont let it be you. We went through Hell and it was worse for Geno and the University. Back off and enjoy what we've got here with UConn Womens BB. Please we've been through it once we dont need it again and we dont need any post saying well what about this and what about that. Just Dont Do It.

Go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul