College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't punish the individual, they punish the university.

The university, when possible, tries to find and punish the individual. At the very least, advise the individual to cease whatever they are doing. And yes, I know of a few minor incidents; interestingly, what they were followed with was a "lecture" from compliance to the fans, either at a fan club meeting or by e-mail to season ticket holders / donors.

Again, identifying the poster is not easy. The NCAA cannot punish anyone until they identify the culprit . If someone says go to a school, they are not necessarily an "official booster" .

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if you're not a student of the school... its just silly, and "creepy"

its just "basketball" to us but for them its a life-changing event that should be thoroughly looked at be the student and family.

sadly some of these players enjoy the "social-media" life

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont know why any fan would want to contact a potential recruit. The last thing I would want is fans nagging me or asking me where I wanted to go to school etc etc. For me it would be a turn off. What do you have to offer them? You cant buy them anything or give them money thats a big time NCAA violation. If a recruit is interested in UConn and contacts you then you better refer them to Geno.

This is why I try to never be negative on this board. It could influence their decision. Some comments Ive read on this board about recruits and their playtime make me cringe. This is Geno and the coaching staffs job. They are the professionals in recruiting and building the team and they have alot more information then this board has.

How would you like some inexperienced person stepping in and doing something to screw up your job.

Hey I understand fans want to be fans and want the very best for their team. Please leave the recruiting to the coaching staff. The last thing we is a NCAA investigation. Look at the comments on this board about schools being investigated? Would you want that for UConn because of you?

Reaction Score
I dont know why any fan would want to contact a potential recruit. The last thing I would want is fans nagging me or asking me where I wanted to go to school etc etc. For me it would be a turn off. What do you have to offer them? You cant buy them anything or give them money thats a big time NCAA violation. If a recruit is interested in UConn and contacts you then you better refer them to Geno.

This is why I try to never be negative on this board. It could influence their decision. Some comments Ive read on this board about recruits and their playtime make me cringe. This is Geno and the coaching staffs job. They are the professionals in recruiting and building the team and they have alot more information then this board has.

Look at the comments on this board about schools being investigated? Would you want that for UConn because of you?

Do you know whether recruits or current players actually read the comments on this board? I would be interested to know because if they do, perhaps that would temper some of the comments that are made here.

Reaction Score
Actually Geno called someone else not aware that the player was there and that person put the player on the phone without Geno asking to talk to her.

bags27 said:
This is what I remember:
"Over the last 24 hours, the University of Connecticut, the American Athletic Conference and the NCAA have been working together to determine whether a violation occurred when head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma spoke with Mo'ne Davis over the phone during the 2014 Little League World Series," Manuel said in a statement. "The NCAA has determined a secondary rules violation of bylaw 13.1.3.1 did occur and while UConn accepts this decision, we do not agree with it.

"Prior to attempting to reach Davis, Coach Auriemma checked with the UConn compliance department and was advised such a call would be permissible since Davis is not considered a prospective student-athlete by the NCAA and the call was to be congratulatory rather than recruiting in nature.
NCAA Hits UConn With Violation For Geno's Call To Mo'ne Davis

CajunHusky reply:
from the same article:
"... even though it was not Auriemma's intent to speak directly to Davis, the fact that he initiated the call simply to express support and congratulations obviously did not sit well with NCAA compliance"

"Before her team's semifinal game against Nevada, which Davis started, Auriemma placed a call to the Little League's administrative office, on behalf of a request from the Philadelphia 76ers, to say hello......"

"The conversation between Auriemma and Davis was witnessed by those in the Little League's administrative office, where Davis was standing when the call came in. It was reported that nothing more than small talk took place between Davis and the Hall of Fame coach, who encouraged her to get a few hits."

Reaction Score
I think the Boneyard logo can be added to the picture below... you can easily say "message boards" are social media, they all do the same thing. (create profile, post topics, share info, post pics, share videos, "like" comments etc.)

social-media-logos-100339762-orig.jpg

Without question Message boards, like the Boneyard, while at times anti-social--they are definitely SOCIAL media--people of like interests converge--while it's not necessary on the standard Social Media --they too congregate on specific topics. There are several UConn and Uconn WBB Facebook specific sites.The Key is that no one on the Boneyard can directly use that means to contact a Student Athlete--I'm sure any attempt would be deleted.

However, no one has Quoted me so I haven't seen any feedback on my request to know if the NCAA has in fact sanctioned or threatened to sanction any College/School/University who they have the agreement with for fans contacting potential recruits????? If no threats have come from the NCAA apparently they know it's not possible to police Social Media.

Reaction Score
A lot of interesting dialog here. I think the best thing a recruit can do is get off of social media.completely. Unfortunately, for most of them, it's part of their social being and personality. Most of them don't feel they could live without it. I would guess the percentage of teenagers that have cellphones, and indulge in at least one (usually several) social media outlet is very high, like 95-98%.

It's interesting that there are fans, boosters or whatever you want to call them, think that they can persuade a recruit to go to a particular college or university by bombarding them with tweets, etc. I would not be surprised if a recruit was turned off by the constant barrage of said tweeters, boosters, etc., that become down right obnoxious.

You don't miss something you never had. I don't do social media, and life is good!!! I know I'm missing out on a lot of news and information, but that's OK.
I don't have " the need to know" mind set. I'm a Trekkie, but I would never dress up (like a character), and go to a science fiction convention.

No disrespect to those that do. I'm too old for that. I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but not THAT much. I joined face book (under an assumed name of course) so that I could sign-on to various chat rooms. Believe it or not, but Carnac is not my real name. LOL Just a name/character I chose because I realized I could have some fun with it! :eek:

I visit the boneyard daily for entertainment and information only, and because I get news about the UConn women's program here I can't/won't get anywhere else. :cool:
The UConn women's basketball program is NEVER mentioned out here in the Southern California media market by any of the local outlets.

This is UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans country, especially in football. We have a lot of small state colleges and universities in the southland. These two are the only MAJOR universities in the area that are recognized nationally. Now that the Rams are back (yeaaa!!), We have a professional franchise in every major sport. Unfortunately, the UCLA & USC women's basketball programs get very little media attention, very little. The men's programs get the bulk of media coverage. :(

Apparently Geno and Christine agree with your "get off of Social Media" for their players! They prohibit the use of Social Media during the Season--for obvious reasons--it keeps the kids, the team , Geno/staff/Admin from protecting them from a ravaging Media who are greater NITPICKERS than those on the BY. A single word can be reworked to a point that Uconn would be spending more time fending off than practicing..

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I wonder, is Big Bird a Louisville Cardinal or a South Carolina Gamecock booster?

I am a proud graduate of Illinois State University. Our teams are called The Redbirds. I am a large human. I will leave it to you to unravel the rest of the moniker mystery. :)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Apparently Geno and Christine agree with your "get off of Social Media" for their players! They prohibit the use of Social Media during the Season--for obvious reasons--it keeps the kids, the team , Geno/staff/Admin from protecting them from a ravaging Media who are greater NITPICKERS than those on the BY. A single word can be reworked to a point that Uconn would be spending more time fending off than practicing..

As important perhaps, is that is encourages athletes and others within the program to actually be in each other's presence and have real conversations. A wise coach, like ours, would pretty quickly surmise the greater value of that communication as a key part of team building.

Reaction Score
As important perhaps, is that is encourages athletes and others within the program to actually be in each other's presence and have real conversations. A wise coach, like ours, would pretty quickly surmise the greater value of that communication as a key part of team building.

Bigbird ---I had to read your posting three times--I guess I'm reading challenged. I agree with each and every word--Damn it!! I can't nit pick on anything.
I was watching a News group speaking about tweeting and why the nasty stuff can't/isn't being said face to face. That's even true with email but in Tweeting etc you get to diss a much larger audience.

Reaction Score
I am a proud graduate of Illinois State University. Our teams are called The Redbirds. I am a large human. I will leave it to you to unravel the rest of the moniker mystery. :)
I think I got it you are one of the Munkins--who turned green as they entered OZ. I'm really good at unraveling clues.. I'm so good my teachers were always testing my intelligence!! I was a standout!!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I think I got it you are one of the Munkins--who turned green as they entered OZ. I'm really good at unraveling clues.. I'm so good my teachers were always testing my intelligence!! I was a standout!!

Ugh. You found me out. Drat.

"They gave me an intelligence test; the results were negative."

Reaction Score

I'm thinking Kansas Jayhawk, Iowa Hawkeye, Boston College Eagle or Virginia Tech Hokiebird

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Do you know whether recruits or current players actually read the comments on this board? I would be interested to know because if they do, perhaps that would temper some of the comments that are made here.
I know for a fact in the past AAU coaches, parents, recruits, and friends of recruits have read this board and they all have their own opinions. They come on here to see what fans are saying about the recruits.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
true, is the NCAA going to investigate BigBird, find his or her IP address, try to determine the actual name of the poster, then go through every list of booster club donations , only to find out they are not associated with the school they are promoting

I think not
No, what they do is contact the admin of the site to get the pertinent details.

Most boosters (an inconsistently applied term as determined by a capricious NCAA) that get into trouble are turned in by fans of opposing teams. It's the other teams' fans that scour bulletin boards looking for violations, then convince their school to file a complaint. As a previous poster has said, two thirds of the SEC complaint against UConn was comprised of posts from the Boneyard. It cost UConn hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire a compliance lawyer to respond to the complaint. The program's and university's reputations were hurt - as well as the reputations of unfairly accused players and parents - because a couple posters on the Boneyard couldn't contain their exuberance.

Maybe fans will get away with defying the NCAA rules but why would they put UConn at risk? Remember, Geno's program was turned in for giving French fries to a recruit, for heaven's sake.

DON'T "HELP" UCONN RECRUIT! It's against NCAA rules and the UConn Compliance Office has asked us, the Boneyard specifically, to stay out of the process. This after the great French fry/cardboard sign/phantom trip from Russia to Atlanta/Boneyard bragging fiasco of a few years ago. Don't give the whackadoos (you know who I'm taking about) any ammunition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, what they do is contact the admin of the site and get the pertinent details. And most boosters that get into trouble are turned in by fans of opposing teams. It's the other teams' fans that scour bulletin boards looking for violations, then convince their school to file a complaint. As a previous poster has said, two thirds of the SEC complaint against UConn was comprised of posts from the Boneyard. It cost UConn hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire a compliance lawyer to respond to the complaint and the program also hurt the university's reputation - and the reputation of unfairly accused players and parents - because a couple posters on the Boneyard couldn't contain their exuberance.

I'm not aware of anybody currently on this board that has contacted recruits..........there are however three folks who seem to be consistently doing this that consider themselves UConn fans.............as I've said there are others doing this that are fans of ND, SC, Tenn, Ohio St, MD, Louisville, Baylor, UT, UWash, etc so there's plenty of violators out there representing all of the big teams out there..............

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not aware of anybody currently on this board that has contacted recruits.....there are however three folks who seem to be consistently doing this that consider themselves UConn fans...as I've said there are others doing this that are fans of ND, SC, Tenn, Ohio St, MD, Louisville, Baylor, UT, UWash, etc so there's plenty of violators out there representing all of the big teams out there....
Charlie.... they're not UConn! When you're on Top everyone try to find a way to knock you do. Its easier when your own helps "the enemy"

I just don't understand how a few is trying to justify the problem of bothering recruits. #scary #sad #creepy #getalife

Reaction Score
Charlie.... they're not UConn! When you're on Top everyone try to find a way to knock you do. Its easier when your own helps "the enemy"

I just don't understand how a few is trying to justify the problem of bothering recruits. #scary #sad #creepy #getalife

I would guess that these folks are totally unaware that what they are doing is wrong..........from their viewpoint they are just encouraging a great basketball player to enroll in their favorite school whether it be UConn or Notre Dame etc

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I would guess that these folks are totally unaware that what they are doing is wrong.....from their viewpoint they are just encouraging a great basketball player to enroll in their favorite school whether it be UConn or Notre Dame etc
very possible

but the ones in this current thread are pushing back as well, an "Admin" chimed in and explained to us how the school contacts them after the NCAA contacts the school... doesnt get any more simple than that.

and if you want to help go on Twitter and let the "unaware" know as well... help your favorite team

Reaction Score
very possible

but the ones in this current thread are pushing back as well, an "Admin" chimed in and explained to us how the school contacts them after the NCAA contacts the school... doesnt get any more simple than that.

and if you want to help go on Twitter and let the "unaware" know as well... help your favorite team

I've been holding off contacting these people as I am libertarian by nature but perhaps I will send them a friendly reminder........if Admin wants to handle this I will pass on the guilty party's addresses

Reaction Score
bags27 said:
This is what I remember:
"Over the last 24 hours, the University of Connecticut, the American Athletic Conference and the NCAA have been working together to determine whether a violation occurred when head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma spoke with Mo'ne Davis over the phone during the 2014 Little League World Series," Manuel said in a statement. "The NCAA has determined a secondary rules violation of bylaw 13.1.3.1 did occur and while UConn accepts this decision, we do not agree with it.

"Prior to attempting to reach Davis, Coach Auriemma checked with the UConn compliance department and was advised such a call would be permissible since Davis is not considered a prospective student-athlete by the NCAA and the call was to be congratulatory rather than recruiting in nature.
NCAA Hits UConn With Violation For Geno's Call To Mo'ne Davis

CajunHusky reply:
from the same article:
"... even though it was not Auriemma's intent to speak directly to Davis, the fact that he initiated the call simply to express support and congratulations obviously did not sit well with NCAA compliance"

"Before her team's semifinal game against Nevada, which Davis started, Auriemma placed a call to the Little League's administrative office, on behalf of a request from the Philadelphia 76ers, to say hello."

"The conversation between Auriemma and Davis was witnessed by those in the Little League's administrative office, where Davis was standing when the call came in. It was reported that nothing more than small talk took place between Davis and the Hall of Fame coach, who encouraged her to get a few hits."

Smoke and no fire---The smoke was because Geno , a head coach contacted a kid who stated she wanted to be a guard at Uconn, to congrat her for winning Little league BaseBall World Series--
Stupid noise, ignorant people denigrating the call, poorly informed media--mucha ado about nothing--that noise faded into the ether plasma.
But that was a phone call --not social media...

Reaction Score

Over they years Geno has stated --he does not read (at the time) fans comments in the courant--
but in media interviews, the Geno show CPTV or WFSB or others, reaction, while not directly mentioning, to the comments was clear . Either he or someone who relayed the comments to him reads the Boneyard, the Courant sports (reader comments).
Geno's kids are not prohibited from reading the Boneyard nor the newpaper sports sections--you can be a bit more that sure that some of them are reading that now.
If I were Gabby, KLS, Collier, and the new kids--I'd think I was pretty good after reading the Boneyard.

It is more than fair to say--they do read--and comments should be tempered --negative comments--keep the positive comments coming--it is alway good to know people think your are pretty good.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Over they years Geno has stated --he does not read (at the time) fans comments in the courant--
but in media interviews, the Geno show CPTV or WFSB or others, reaction, while not directly mentioning, to the comments was clear . Either he or someone who relayed the comments to him reads the Boneyard, the Courant sports (reader comments).
Geno's kids are not prohibited from reading the Boneyard nor the newpaper sports sections--you can be a bit more that sure that some of them are reading that now.
If I were Gabby, KLS, Collier, and the new kids--I'd think I was pretty good after reading the Boneyard.

It is more than fair to say--they do read--and comments should be tempered --negative comments--keep the positive comments coming--it is alway good to know people think your are pretty good.
I can state with absolute certainty that parents and some players read the Boneyard. I know this because I spoke with a number of parents in Indy this year. The 'yard is also read by state and some national media writers, recruits, various bloggers, some AAU and/or high school coaches. I, personally, got interviewed by Morley Safer for the 60 Minutes show on the UConn women's program years ago but ended up on the editing room floor. But the 60 Minutes folks got my name from reading the Boneyard. You just never know.

Reaction Score
I can state with absolute certainty that parents and some players read the Boneyard. I know this because I spoke with a number of parents in Indy this year. The 'yard is also read by state and some national media writers, recruits, various bloggers, some AAU and/or high school coaches. I, personally, got interviewed by Morley Safer for the 60 Minutes show on the UConn women's program years ago but ended up on the editing room floor. But the 60 Minutes folks got my name from reading the Boneyard. You just never know.

Nan--You chastised me, rightly, for comments about Diamond DeShields, and if I'm not mistaken about speaking about a team member (UC) that wasn't, as I believed, performing up to stuff. Never thinking the kids would be reading this. Obviously, it was something I would never say face to face with them--I have a bit more decency. Jeeze
Point is --since you know FACTUALLY that the Kids read this--it is only fair you occasionally remind us of that FACT -- BEFORE the FACT---and keep some of us from making fools of ourselves--while the UConn WBB is in our minds we are not always thinking of their presence on the Boneyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom