College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
that's one of the guys I'm referring to.....there's one other UConn guy that is equally enthusiastic.thought about contacting them directly to tell them to stop but doubt it would help

You probably should. It's annoying to me.. and I'm a bystander. Maybe the recruit sees it differently but better safe than sorry right..

Reaction Score
The reason for that is how do you define a 'run of the mill fan'. They have a very broad definition, because all it takes is someone to be a 'fan-atic' and a little more stupidity than the person sitting next to them at the game to do something inappropriate - buy the player or recruit a meal, or introduce him or her to a really nice friend with loose morals, or invite them to a special party, or ... And the rules are so broad because they cover real actual inappropriate actions by some really stupid people.
Every "inappropriate action" you list has been accomplished recently by a number of big time schools.
I don't remember much in the way of "sanctions". As you know the one thing that cannot be legislated/ruled out/ruled against is human stupidity--or ignorance. If not for those attributes many of us would not have been born.
The old SWC at one time was a hot bed of money speaks--lots of money thrown around. But what is interesting is none of them were sanctions for using the Internet Social Media (it hadn't been invented).

Reaction Score
The NCAA could care less about the First Amendment in this case....as others on this board have said and as hard as it is to believe, it is a violation of NCAA recruiting rules to have a fan (considered a booster) contact a recruit..yes, doubt it can really be enforced since fans from every top school do it but why take a chance......[/QUOTe

The NCAA does nothing to violate a fans First Amendment rights. The agreement with the schools defines the procedures under which a Student Athlete may be contacted. The NCAA has no vehicle to sanction a fan or booster whose actions are within legal norms.

Reaction Score
Booster to me --has always meant someone who; usually is an alum, gives or assist in the giving of large sums of money.

A number of years ago the Arkansas football team had a nice kid, very talented, that the local utility gave a non existent job and a car to. Lots of talk, lots of smoke,
but to my memory nothing happened to the nice kid or UArk.

So with all the huff an puff of the NCAA--what school/university been sanctioned; kept from post season or recruiting because a fan contacted a potential recruit via Social media.
Geno/Christine's holding of Social Media during season is designed to keep the kid or the team from getting into some --TV media circus..
If you ever buy season tickets, they consider you a booster, so just about everyone according to the NCAA is a booster. Another one of the thousands of idiotic rules the NCAA has, as Jay Bilas has said the rule-book needs to be burned, and start over.

Reaction Score
If you ever buy season tickets, they consider you a booster, so just about everyone according to the NCAA is a booster. Another one of the thousands of idiotic rules the NCAA has, as Jay Bilas has said the rule-book needs to be burned, and start over.

I said to me what a booster meant--and it still does. If the NCAA in their list of word meanings defines Booster that way--that's ok and those that buy season tickets (because they pay a fee to the University beyond that fee (called a donation to make you some level depending upon the "donation" paid) for good seats) that almost meets my definition. Booster it would appear means some one who boost (not the street meaning of boosting) big money in the athletic department coffers.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sign of the times, I guess. Social media contact is a violation, but UNC fabricating bogus credit hours for athletes mostly isn't. Social media can be regulated by the NCAA (it supposes), but "institutional control" is beyond control. Got it.

So let me give it a last try. I have edited out the illegal bits. I think.

Hey ________, you should come and play basketball here at ____! We have the best coach in the known universe, coach _______ . Our team really IS a team, and plays like it. You will become the best player you can be, and you will graduate with a quality degree. We won't promise you a national championship, but if you work hard, you will have a real shot at one. Do you know what your friends will say then? Wow, _______, that is just _____ amazing! Gee, twelve of 'em!

There. I think that disguises things sufficiently.

Reaction Score
I would say for UConn fans not to take any chances since the NCAA will jump all over us at the slightest sign of a violation. Whether that's from coach having an inadvertent five minute phone conversation with a 7th grade baseball player or failing to meet an academic standard during a season when said academic standard didn't yet exist, or now a random fan tweeting a potential recruit. If you see a girl playing basketball, don't look at her, certainly don't talk to or message her on social media, just simply run the hell away as fast as your legs can take you to avoid any appearance of booster tampering or impropriety. The way some of these rules are written are vague and open to interpretation, and the only interpretation that matters is the one by the NCAA COI whose definitions of punishable infraction and severity are a function of the school in question.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Isn't it the height of egotistical presumption to think that a teen-aged girl who is good enough at the sport to be sought after by major basketball powers could have her decision swayed by a dumb-ass tweet? I mean, c'mon! Migawd, they KNOW that UConn has won 11 NCs including the last four. They KNOW the situations at Duke and UT and everywhere else! I am betting that they read fan boards and form their own conclusions. The whole thing is silly to the max, with no possible positive results and some posssible, if unlikely, negative ones. Sheesh! Grow a brain!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Isn't it the height of egotistical presumption to think that a teen-aged girl who is good enough at the sport to be sought after by major basketball powers could have her decision swayed by a dumb-ass tweet? I mean, c'mon! Migawd, they KNOW that UConn has won 11 NCs including the last four. They KNOW the situations at Duke and UT and everywhere else! I am betting that they read fan boards and form their own conclusions. The whole thing is silly to the max, with no possible positive results and some posssible, if unlikely, negative ones. Sheesh! Grow a brain!
that's why people should leave them alone cause they look "creepy" bothering them knowing that it will have no effect. #strangerdanger

Reaction Score
I would say for UConn fans not to take any chances since the NCAA will jump all over us at the slightest sign of a violation. Whether that's from coach having an inadvertent five minute phone conversation with a 7th grade baseball player
What made this even more ridiculous is that it wasn't "inadvertent": Geno first cleared it with UConn's NCAA compliance person!

I dunno. I recently happened onto a twitter account (clicked on someone's link, didn't "follow" her) of a 16 year old who just tweeted that she had limited her potential schools, and saw how many alums/fans from those schools tweeted her encouragement. I think, frankly, no one has/could have control of this anymore. For a number of reasons, I really dislike everything about young people representing themselves this way on social media and older people responding. I agree with DaddyChoc: it is creepy and a lot of other things, too. But liking/disliking is one thing; controlling it seems no longer possible, and I don't know how the NCAA can possibly enforce compliance.

Reaction Score
What made this even more ridiculous is that it wasn't "inadvertent": Geno first cleared it with UConn's NCAA compliance person!

I dunno. I recently happened onto a twitter account (clicked on someone's link, didn't "follow" her) of a 16 year old who just tweeted that she had limited her potential schools, and saw how many alums/fans from those schools tweeted her encouragement. I think, frankly, no one has/could have control of this anymore. For a number of reasons, I really dislike everything about young people representing themselves this way on social media and older people responding. I agree with DaddyChoc: it is creepy and a lot of other things, too. But liking/disliking is one thing; controlling it seems no longer possible, and I don't know how the NCAA can possibly enforce compliance.

Actually Geno called someone else not aware that the player was there and that person put the player on the phone without Geno asking to talk to her.

Reaction Score
Actually Geno called someone else not aware that the player was there and that person put the player on the phone without Geno asking to talk to her.
This is what I remember:
"Over the last 24 hours, the University of Connecticut, the American Athletic Conference and the NCAA have been working together to determine whether a violation occurred when head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma spoke with Mo'ne Davis over the phone during the 2014 Little League World Series," Manuel said in a statement. "The NCAA has determined a secondary rules violation of bylaw 13.1.3.1 did occur and while UConn accepts this decision, we do not agree with it.

"Prior to attempting to reach Davis, Coach Auriemma checked with the UConn compliance department and was advised such a call would be permissible since Davis is not considered a prospective student-athlete by the NCAA and the call was to be congratulatory rather than recruiting in nature.
NCAA Hits UConn With Violation For Geno's Call To Mo'ne Davis

Reaction Score

I raised a bunch of teenaged daughter (and I escaped unscathed) Now all professional from pretty fair Universities. They are intelligent. But to have expected them to know what's happening in NC--and a few were involved with WBB-gives them too much credit. They actually had very busy lives out side of sports or academia.
But I'd bet a buffalo nickle that if you as a Uconn fan contacted them about going to Uconn it would seriously inflate their egos and probably drive them to make wrong choices.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This is what I remember:
"Over the last 24 hours, the University of Connecticut, the American Athletic Conference and the NCAA have been working together to determine whether a violation occurred when head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma spoke with Mo'ne Davis over the phone during the 2014 Little League World Series," Manuel said in a statement. "The NCAA has determined a secondary rules violation of bylaw 13.1.3.1 did occur and while UConn accepts this decision, we do not agree with it.

"Prior to attempting to reach Davis, Coach Auriemma checked with the UConn compliance department and was advised such a call would be permissible since Davis is not considered a prospective student-athlete by the NCAA and the call was to be congratulatory rather than recruiting in nature.
NCAA Hits UConn With Violation For Geno's Call To Mo'ne Davis

Of all the many asinine things the NCAA has done, this one belongs on the top shelf in their pantheon of stupidity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A lot of interesting dialog here. I think the best thing a recruit can do is get off of social media......completely. Unfortunately, for most of them, it's part of their social being and personality. Most of them don't feel they could live without it. I would guess the percentage of teenagers that have cellphones, and indulge in at least one (usually several) social media outlet is very high, like 95-98%.

It's interesting that there are fans, boosters or whatever you want to call them, think that they can persuade a recruit to go to a particular college or university by bombarding them with tweets, etc. I would not be surprised if a recruit was turned off by the constant barrage of said tweeters, boosters, etc., that become down right obnoxious.

You don't miss something you never had. I don't do social media, and life is good!!! I know I'm missing out on a lot of news and information, but that's OK.
I don't have " the need to know" mind set. I'm a Trekkie, but I would never dress up (like a character), and go to a science fiction convention.

No disrespect to those that do. I'm too old for that. I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but not THAT much. I joined face book (under an assumed name of course) so that I could sign-on to various chat rooms. Believe it or not, but Carnac is not my real name. LOL Just a name/character I chose because I realized I could have some fun with it! :eek:

I visit the boneyard daily for entertainment and information only, and because I get news about the UConn women's program here I can't/won't get anywhere else. :cool:
The UConn women's basketball program is NEVER mentioned out here in the Southern California media market by any of the local outlets.

This is UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans country, especially in football. We have a lot of small state colleges and universities in the southland. These two are the only MAJOR universities in the area that are recognized nationally. Now that the Rams are back (yeaaa!!), We have a professional franchise in every major sport. Unfortunately, the UCLA & USC women's basketball programs get very little media attention, very little. The men's programs get the bulk of media coverage. :(

Reaction Score
Of all the many asinine things the NCAA has done, this one belongs on the top shelf in their pantheon of stupidity.

true, is the NCAA going to investigate BigBird, find his or her IP address, try to determine the actual name of the poster, then go through every list of booster club donations , only to find out they are not associated with the school they are promoting

I think not

Reaction Score
true, is the NCAA going to investigate BigBird, find his or her IP address, try to determine the actual name of the poster, then go through every list of booster club donations , only to find out they are not associated with the school they are promoting

I think not

I wonder, is Big Bird a Louisville Cardinal or a South Carolina Gamecock booster?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You don't miss something you never had. I don't do social media, and life is good!!! I know I'm missing out on a lot of news and information, but that's OK.
I don't have " the need to know" mind set. I'm a Trekkie, but I would never dress up (like a character), and go to a science fiction convention.

No disrespect to those that do. I'm too old for that. I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but not THAT much. I joined face book (under an assumed name of course) so that I could sign-on to various chat rooms. Believe it or not, but Carnac is not my real name. LOL Just a name/character I chose because I realized I could have some fun with it! :eek:

I visit the boneyard daily for entertainment and information only, and because I get news about the UConn women's program here I can't/won't get anywhere else. :cool:
The UConn women's basketball program is NEVER mentioned out here in the Southern California media market by any of the local outlets.
I think the Boneyard logo can be added to the picture below... you can easily say "message boards" are social media, they all do the same thing. (create profile, post topics, share info, post pics, share videos, "like" comments etc.)

social-media-logos-100339762-orig.jpg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I think not
The NCAA doesn't punish the individual, they punish the university.

The university, when possible, tries to find and punish the individual. At the very least, advise the individual to cease whatever they are doing. And yes, I know of a few minor incidents; interestingly, what they were followed with was a "lecture" from compliance to the fans, either at a fan club meeting or by e-mail to season ticket holders / donors.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think the Boneyard logo can be added to the picture below... you can easily say "message boards" are social media, they all do the same thing. (create profile, post topics, share info, post pics, share videos, "like" comments etc.)

social-media-logos-100339762-orig.jpg

Yes, I guess you could add the BY logo. I don't do any of those. The "Boneyard" is the only message board I frequent. I have a life. I don't really have the time/interest to troll other boards.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
tweets from Twitter, videos from YouTube... posted here all fall "social media" #access #view #read

just my opinion

everyone has a life, a simple comfortable life allows you to "troll" the World Wide Web... it ok to be apart of "social media" its not a crime

emails, newspapers are under MY umbrella as social media IMO

we eat, sleep, take showers, watch tv, walk the dogs, bathe our elderly parents, paint the basement etc..... and still have "time" to be "social"

nice chatting with you buddy, Go Huskies :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA