College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!! | The Boneyard

College Fans Contacting Recruits on Social Media: STOP IT!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have noticed an uptick in fans contacting recruits once they announce their college lists.........and no,not just UConn either........I've seen similar ND, Louisville, MD, Tenn, South Carolina, Ohio State, Florida State, UCLA and Washington tweets among many others....................apparently the recruits are enjoying it because they are retweeting these messages on their twitter pages..................doubt that it's helpful and could potentially be harmful

Raul comments on this:

1. Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 21h21 hours ago
    Noticed a UConn fan recently tweeting at many UConn WBB prospects. Do people like him really think they're helping their school doing that?

Recruiting Game: Social media adds new dimension

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you're just retweeting the recruits tweet with information.. I see nothing wrong with that. The media does it all of the time and that's what retweets are for.

My issue is when a player tweets a list of schools and gets bombarded with "Come to Notre Dame, Maryland's coach sucks" or "Don't go to SC, they haven't won anything and never will".. or this one fan in particular on twitter who happens to be a UCONN diehard that replies "Come to UCONN".. "Are you coming to UCONN?".. "Will you please visit UCONN?".. "When are you coming to UCONN?".. "Please commit to UCONN?" to every one of their tweets. This fan literally replies up to 10 times to the same tweet. I'm sure other schools have diehards that do this too.. but being that you guys probably keep up with UCONN recruits on twitter you'll know the fan I'm alluding to.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you're wondering what I'm talking about.. here is a perfect example.

Reaction Score
I have noticed an uptick in fans contacting recruits once they announce their college lists....and no,not just UConn either...I've seen similar ND, Louisville, MD, Tenn, South Carolina, Ohio State, Florida State, UCLA and Washington tweets among many others.....apparently the recruits are enjoying it because they are retweeting these messages on their twitter pages...doubt that it's helpful and could potentially be harmful

Raul comments on this:

1. Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 21h21 hours ago
    Noticed a UConn fan recently tweeting at many UConn WBB prospects. Do people like him really think they're helping their school doing that?

Recruiting Game: Social media adds new dimension
Sorry to say you're peeing into the wind on this one.

Reaction Score
If you're just retweeting the recruits tweet with information.. I see nothing wrong with that. The media does it all of the time and that's what retweets are for.

My issue is when a player tweets a list of schools and gets bombarded with "Come to Notre Dame, Maryland's coach sucks" or "Don't go to SC, they haven't won anything and never will".. or this one fan in particular on twitter who happens to be a UCONN diehard that replies "Come to UCONN".. "Are you coming to UCONN?".. "Will you please visit UCONN?".. "When are you coming to UCONN?".. "Please commit to UCONN?" to every one of their tweets. This fan literally replies up to 10 times to the same tweet. I'm sure other schools have diehards that do this too.. but being that you guys probably keep up with UCONN recruits on twitter you'll know the fan I'm alluding to.

Agreed........I retweet what recruits tweet if it is in regards to their recruiting stance but I have never tried to contact a recruit and I actually don't even officially follow them on twitter............I understand that some fanatics are just trying to reach out to their favorite player but it's really not helpful

Reaction Score
If you're wondering what I'm talking about.. here is a perfect example.

that's one of the guys I'm referring to..........there's one other UConn guy that is equally enthusiastic......thought about contacting them directly to tell them to stop but doubt it would help

Reaction Score
Here's a few more:

Falista Clockhart.‏@DizzyDEEzle
@CharliC_14 come play for a great coach in former Olympian @dawnstaley.. 14,000 loyal fans per game, post friendly offense, WNBA top pick..
Christyn Williams Retweeted
Btoff49 ‏@btoff49 Aug 5
Btoff49 Retweeted Christyn Williams

All us Hog fans in Las Vegas hoping they will introduce you as 'former 4 time All-American at Arkansas”.

Christyn Williams Retweeted
Brandon Witcher ‏@theREALbwitcher Jul 31Nashville, TN
Brandon Witcher Retweeted Christyn Williams

Come on over to Knoxville! @LadyVol_Hoops is ready and waiting! #ladyvols

Reaction Score
so is the NCAA going to repeal the first amendment on the internet

The NCAA could care less about the First Amendment in this case.........as others on this board have said and as hard as it is to believe, it is a violation of NCAA recruiting rules to have a fan (considered a booster) contact a recruit............yes, doubt it can really be enforced since fans from every top school do it but why take a chance...........

Reaction Score
Agreed...I retweet what recruits tweet if it is in regards to their recruiting stance but I have never tried to contact a recruit and I actually don't even officially follow them on twitter..I understand that some fanatics are just trying to reach out to their favorite player but it's really not helpful
You have made a case for HONOR not contacting potential recruits--everyone does not have respect for the HONOR system.
So tell us:
1. If I as a Uconn fan contact a Diamond De Shileds (not mis-spelled) the NCAA or UConn or the AAC can't do anything to me--it's Social Media open to all!!
2. What responsibility does UConn or Geno have for the actions I may display?
3. Since this is the NCAA with their set of ethics and guided by self made rules they don't follow rules of evidence

4.. That would be an interesting court case, in the real legal system.
So Charlie tell us why is this a no no!!

Reaction Score
You have made a case for HONOR not contacting potential recruits--everyone does not have respect for the HONOR system.

Frankly, when I first read that it was an NCAA violation on this board I thought people were just kidding but somebody actually posted the rule so it is legit...........why your run of the mill fan is considered a booster is beyond me..........as far as I'm concerned, contacting recruits directly in order to "persuade" them to enroll at your school is simply obnoxious and ineffective never mind the rules aspect!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So tell us:
1. If I as a Uconn fan contact a Diamond De Shileds (not mis-spelled) the NCAA or UConn or the AAC can't do anything to me--it's Social Media open to all!!
3. Since this is the NCAA with their set of ethics and guided by self made rules they don't follow rules of evidence

Because the NCAA doesn't give a toss about a legal case against you or any other fan doing something that is clearly legal, as is giving money to an athlete (as long as it is below tax limits, or setting them up with a willing companion for the evening. What they do care about is a ton of rules they have in place about undue influence on HS kids looking at scholarship offers by 'boosters' for any of the schools involved and they have a very broad definition of what a booster is. The students are also barred from signing contracts with agents or making a profit from participating in their sport prior to completing their athletic eligibility which are all clearly legal actions, but doing so makes them ineligible to compete in NCAA sanctioned events.

They will not be coming against you, or some booster, but all NCAA schools belong to an association and have agreed to abide by the rules imposed by the association on their athletic competitions - so they will go after the school and by association, at the potential recruit. They can ban a school from offering an athletic scholarship to a particular student and if the school defies that ban (as they have a legal right to do, they can sanction the school from participation in NCAA competition which by agreeing to the be a member of the association they have agreed to be governed by. Some of the rules of the association impose standards for behavior for the school's fans and a responsibility of the school to police those fans to the best of their ability. And the proceedings of the association are not subject to the same standards as exist in a court of law, and the laws of this country recognize that those standards do not need to - check out deflate gate for a case in point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Frankly, when I first read that it was an NCAA violation on this board I thought people were just kidding but somebody actually posted the rule so it is legit......why your run of the mill fan is considered a booster is beyond me.....as far as I'm concerned, contacting recruits directly in order to "persuade" them to enroll at your school is simply obnoxious and ineffective never mind the rules aspect!!!
The reason for that is how do you define a 'run of the mill fan'. They have a very broad definition, because all it takes is someone to be a 'fan-atic' and a little more stupidity than the person sitting next to them at the game to do something inappropriate - buy the player or recruit a meal, or introduce him or her to a really nice friend with loose morals, or invite them to a special party, or ... And the rules are so broad because they cover real actual inappropriate actions by some really stupid people.

Reaction Score
So tell us:
!

It's a university's job to control its boosters. And no the NCAA can't do anything to you, so it will punish the university instead.

Reaction Score
It's a university's job to control its boosters. And no the NCAA can't do anything to you, so it will punish the university instead.
Obviously they couldn't do anything to me---that's always a given. What have they actually done to Universities/teams resulting from the fans contacting potential recruits via Social Media, which is omni-present!! What have the actually done. Not the threat of doing that is important.

Reaction Score
The reason for that is how do you define a 'run of the mill fan'. They have a very broad definition, because all it takes is someone to be a 'fan-atic' and a little more stupidity than the person sitting next to them at the game to do something inappropriate - buy the player or recruit a meal, or introduce him or her to a really nice friend with loose morals, or invite them to a special party, or ... And the rules are so broad because they cover real actual inappropriate actions by some really stupid people.

Yes but they are RULES! The real question is what have the NCAA actually done to a University resulting from the actions of a fan sitting in the comfort of their home??? Threats are great--actions are even more so.
The real problem as I see it is as you carefully defined---the stupid fan or the aggressive, criminally bent other team fan. If a Podunk U fan masks as a Outhouse U fan and contacts a dozen potential recruits via omni-present Social Media--what can the NCAA ACTUALLY Do to either U??

If the NCAA has actually sanctioned, taken away scholarships, or post season play--because of Social Media contact --I'm sure someone on the Boneyard has that case history..

Reaction Score
Because the NCAA doesn't give a toss about a legal case against you or any other fan doing something that is clearly legal, as is giving money to an athlete (as long as it is below tax limits, or setting them up with a willing companion for the evening. What they do care about is a ton of rules they have in place about undue influence on HS kids looking at scholarship offers by 'boosters' for any of the schools involved and they have a very broad definition of what a booster is. The students are also barred from signing contracts with agents or making a profit from participating in their sport prior to completing their athletic eligibility which are all clearly legal actions, but doing so makes them ineligible to compete in NCAA sanctioned events.

They will not be coming against you, or some booster, but all NCAA schools belong to an association and have agreed to abide by the rules imposed by the association on their athletic competitions - so they will go after the school and by association, at the potential recruit. They can ban a school from offering an athletic scholarship to a particular student and if the school defies that ban (as they have a legal right to do, they can sanction the school from participation in NCAA competition which by agreeing to the be a member of the association they have agreed to be governed by. Some of the rules of the association impose standards for behavior for the school's fans and a responsibility of the school to police those fans to the best of their ability. And the proceedings of the association are not subject to the same standards as exist in a court of law, and the laws of this country recognize that those standards do not need to - check out deflate gate for a case in point.

Rules are only rules. And Rules are only as good as the enforcement. The NCAA with NC appears to be a paper tiger.
So the 10 dollar question is: with the vast knowledge here on the Boneyard someone must know of a case where a College/School/University was sanctioned (seriously) for a Fans or someone posing as a Fan to discredit another team--for Fan Contact via Social Media to a potential recruit????
It is a given that the NCAA has RULES--but have they shown the teeth??

Reaction Score
Rules are only rules. And Rules are only as good as the enforcement. The NCAA with NC appears to be a paper tiger.
So the 10 dollar question is: with the vast knowledge here on the Boneyard someone must know of a case where a College/School/University was sanctioned (seriously) for a Fans or someone posing as a Fan to discredit another team--for Fan Contact via Social Media to a potential recruit????
It is a given that the NCAA has RULES--but have they shown the teeth??

Thanks great stuff---I have a follow up further on in this thread ---it was so good I repeated it (by mistake).

Reaction Score
This is going to get interesting. At some point I believe the NCAA will try to apply the same rules they have for written communication (I have absolutely no idea what they are, but I am sure they have them) to social media. Is that practical? We won't know until they try it, I suppose. I have no idea if they have sanctioned anyone or any school for "inappropriate" written communication and frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up. ;)

Reaction Score
Frankly, when I first read that it was an NCAA violation on this board I thought people were just kidding but somebody actually posted the rule so it is legit......why your run of the mill fan is considered a booster is beyond me.....as far as I'm concerned, contacting recruits directly in order to "persuade" them to enroll at your school is simply obnoxious and ineffective never mind the rules aspect!!!
Booster to me --has always meant someone who; usually is an alum, gives or assist in the giving of large sums of money.

A number of years ago the Arkansas football team had a nice kid, very talented, that the local utility gave a non existent job and a car to. Lots of talk, lots of smoke,
but to my memory nothing happened to the nice kid or UArk.

So with all the huff an puff of the NCAA--what school/university been sanctioned; kept from post season or recruiting because a fan contacted a potential recruit via Social media.
Geno/Christine's holding of Social Media during season is designed to keep the kid or the team from getting into some --TV media circus..

Reaction Score
The NCAA could care less about the First Amendment in this case....as others on this board have said and as hard as it is to believe, it is a violation of NCAA recruiting rules to have a fan (considered a booster) contact a recruit..yes, doubt it can really be enforced since fans from every top school do it but why take a chance......
All RULES and LAWs are valid until they are tested. It's like my mother said ---you can't do it--then I did--

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Some schools require a "fee" to purchase certain season tickets in certain areas (usually the better seating sections). These fee's are paid to the university as donations. At this point, YOU ARE A BOOSTER. Contact with a recruit as a booster is never aloud. If you are unsure of where you stand, just don't do it. These recruits have too much attention to handle. Grown adults begging recruits to commit is just plain wrong. Leave the recruiting to the school and it's coaches. It's better for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom