College coaching turnover | The Boneyard

College coaching turnover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amazing stats.

Considering a full recruiting cycle to be 4 years......of the 125 major coaching jobs in the country, in the last recruiting cycle, 84 coaches have changed jobs. 84 out of 125 programs in one cycle.

Now - if you consider a red-shirt year in the recruiting cycle and make it 5 years?

96 of 125 programs in the country have had a head coaching change in a single recruiting cycle.

All recruits, prospects, family members need to be aware of this kind of stuff.

If you're a division 1-A football prospect, chances are your going to have different coaches during your athletic career in college.

That's why - when it comes to recruiting, it is - more than ever, as it always has been, about the players - and not the coaches.

Players need to go where they want to be with the other players that are going to be there. Recruiting is not about a coach selling themselves, it's about getting a player excited to go to school, and take the field, with other students/athletes that they will be in the trenches with.

Players build programs. Not coaches. Players build programs.

I"m looking forward to the class of 2013, joining the players that are working to build this program to it's next level of success, and welcome every graduating player to the world of a UConn alumni. Blue blood forever.

Signing day a few weeks away.

Reaction Score
Amazing stats.

Considering a full recruiting cycle to be 4 years......of the 125 major coaching jobs in the country, in the last recruiting cycle, 84 coaches have changed jobs. 84 out of 125 programs in one cycle.

Now - if you consider a red-shirt year in the recruiting cycle and make it 5 years?

96 of 125 programs in the country have had a head coaching change in a single recruiting cycle.

All recruits, prospects, family members need to be aware of this kind of stuff.

If you're a division 1-A football prospect, chances are your going to have different coaches during your athletic career in college.

That's why - when it comes to recruiting, it is - more than ever, as it always has been, about the players - and not the coaches.

Players need to go where they want to be with the other players that are going to be there. Recruiting is not about a coach selling themselves, it's about getting a player excited to go to school, and take the field, with other students/athletes that they will be in the trenches with.

Players build programs. Not coaches. Players build programs.

I"m looking forward to the class of 2013, joining the players that are working to build this program to it's next level of success, and welcome every graduating player to the world of a UConn alumni. Blue blood forever.

Signing day a few weeks away.

Players do not build programs, coaches do. Coaches mold players into the program, successful programs build solid players. It's about coaching, I've always said there's very little difference between a 2 star and a 4 star guy. A 2 star guy will preform like a 4 star athlete in the right program and system.

Reaction Score
Players do not build programs, coaches do. Coaches mold players into the program, successful programs build solid players. It's about coaching, I've always said there's very little difference between a 2 star and a 4 star guy. A 2 star guy will preform like a 4 star athlete in the right program and system.

Players build programs. Coaches just drive the bus for a while. Recruiting stars make money for websites.

Reaction Score
Players build programs. Coaches just drive the bus for a while. Recruiting stars make money for websites.

Absolutely wrong Carl.

When you go to work, do the employees run the company or does management? How can you expect 18 to 22 year old kids, KIDS, to know enough to succeed? Trust me Carl, it's a losing argument. These young adults need the coaching and guidance to help them grow and develop. It's the coaches and AD's that build a successful program, the athletes are part of that success, but the coaches get the credit and rightfully so. Take Nick Saban away from Bama and see how far they drop.

Reaction Score
To any recruits reading, to any recruits families and friends reading.......players build programs. We fans of UConn football, are looking forward to the next class of program builders to come in and start adding to the foundation.

Coaching staffs come and go, and come and go frequently. Look at the link I posted. Players come, and players that make it through to graduation, are Huskies forever, and players are the ones that have to drag themselves out of bed to class, and get out on the practice fields, and sweat and bleed.

Coaches are indeed important, I'm not saying they're not, but they also come and go in big time college football.

For the record, again to any recruits, prospects, families reading.

UConn football has a 110+ year history. The past two years of mediocre 5-7 football, have been particularly harsh, becuase since the late 1970s, at each level of competition we've been at, we've been regular winners. We're under .500 all time over 110 years+......but well over .500 for the past 3 decades.

To date - the 1986 class, has the highest overall 5-year win percentage, and two conference titles (no bowls in 1-AA). The 2007 class, has the second highest winning percentage over 5 years, and also has two conference championships (three bowls and a BCS game). THe 1994 class, has the third highest winnign percentage, one conference championship, and to date, owns the only 10 win season in UConn history.

We'll see how the 2013 class turns out.

Reaction Score
wow, that list just confirms that we are going in a lousy direction.

It went from a couple changes per year during the late 90's
to a few per year in the 2000's
to 20+ per year the last couple years

interesting, and a bit frightening

Reaction Score
wow, that list just confirms that we are going in a lousy direction.

It went from a couple changes per year during the late 90's
to a few per year in the 2000's
to 20+ per year the last couple years

interesting, and a bit frightening

Don't misinterpret what that list is. It's a list of all the current head coaches in 1-A, matched up with the length of tenure at their individual program, by date of hire.

What the list really says is that over the past 10 years, the median hire date for current division 1-A head coaches as of Jan. 11, 2013, over the entire 125 programs, was around christmas 2010. Essentially two years ago. That's mind numbing, especially when you consider that the when head coaches change jobs, other coaches change jobs as well.

I look forward to the next crop of players coming in, as they work to improve the program from the ground up. The players they come in with, they are brothers, and will need to go through the program for each other, as brothers. That's what recruiting is all about. Building a family of players, from all walks of life, with a common goal.

Schiano at Rutgers was really good at it, but he was just so damn cheesy and cliche about how we went about it. Pasqualoni is pretty good at it too. The players that come in, are coming in to play for each other, and they all have that common bond.

Edsall was pretty good at it too, but Edsall just wasn't getting enough players with speed in recent years. I think in the next year, we're going to see a significant change in the overall team speed of this program, back to where we were a few years ago, but this time, with bigger and stronger players.

Reaction Score
Absolutely wrong Carl.

When you go to work, do the employees run the company or does management? How can you expect 18 to 22 year old kids, KIDS, to know enough to succeed? Trust me Carl, it's a losing argument. These young adults need the coaching and guidance to help them grow and develop. It's the coaches and AD's that build a successful program, the athletes are part of that success, but the coaches get the credit and rightfully so. Take Nick Saban away from Bama and see how far they drop.
You had me until the last sentence. Alabama will continue to be a top tier football school, long after Saban. Maybe not NC every year, but that is more on the players than the coach at the point. Talent makes a difference.

Reaction Score
You had me until the last sentence. Alabama will continue to be a top tier football school, long after Saban. Maybe not NC every year, but that is more on the players than the coach at the point. Talent makes a difference.

Where was Bama before Saban? Mike Shula coached Bama from 2006 to 2006 and never won an SEC title, my guess would be that a lot of high profile coaches would want that job, but success is never guaranteed, even for Bama.

Reaction Score
Carl, Chris Peterson's Boise St team was loaded with 2 star recruits and in 2007 Boise St beat an Oklahoma Sooner team that on paper had better athletes. Why? Because Peterson had a program and system in place that took advantage if the athletes skill set.

You can bark all you want about stats, it's about the program that develops talent, it's not the players driving the bus, that's just absurd.

Reaction Score
Coaches coach and players play. You can't separate one from the other when it comes to winning football games.

But players are what football programs are made of, not coaches, and in this day and age, more than ever.

Players need to be really comfortable with their school environment, and their classmates, if they're going to accept a scholarship to play football.

Historically, and even in the NFL today, players most often are wanting to go to be with the coaches that they are familiar with. Times are a-changing.

I really look forward to the 2013 class getting to work at UConn football and starting the grind. From what I can gather, this is a pretty tight group already, adn hopefully will get a little bit larger in the next few weeks.

I've said all I'm going to say on this.

Reaction Score
Coaches coach and players play. You can't separate one from the other when it comes to winning football games.

But players are what football programs are made of, not coaches, and in this day and age, more than ever.

Players need to be really comfortable with their school environment, and their classmates, if they're going to accept a scholarship to play football.

Historically, and even in the NFL today, players most often are wanting to go to be with the coaches that they are familiar with. Times are a-changing.

I really look forward to the 2013 class getting to work at UConn football and starting the grind. From what I can gather, this is a pretty tight group already, adn hopefully will get a little bit larger in the next few weeks.

I've said all I'm going to say on this.

You're reasoning is quite circular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member