College basketball's top 20 breakout players for the 2016-17 season | The Boneyard

College basketball's top 20 breakout players for the 2016-17 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Jalen Adams, UConn
Vitals: 6-3 | Point Guard | Sophomore

Will have the reigns on UConn's offense. He was one of the best freshmen in the AAC last season. Adams' defense -- both on-ball and patrolling the lanes -- is very good. I'm expecting an assist rate north of 25 percent, too. UConn's flying juuuuust a little bit on the radar right now. Adams might negate that fact within the season's first two weeks.

Is that supposed to be "under" and not "on"?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I mean, it makes no sense grammatically, or I should say it's definitely not a common phrase, but I wonder if he meant "on people's radar, but barely" until Adams breaks out nationally?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Jalen Adams, UConn
Vitals: 6-3 | Point Guard | Sophomore

Will have the reigns on UConn's offense. He was one of the best freshmen in the AAC last season. Adams' defense -- both on-ball and patrolling the lanes -- is very good. I'm expecting an assist rate north of 25 percent, too. UConn's flying juuuuust a little bit on the radar right now. Adams might negate that fact within the season's first two weeks.

Is that supposed to be "under" and not "on"?
And it's supposed to be "reins" not "reigns.'

Reaction Score
While I doubt its going to be the case, there is a chance Jalen may not even be our best guard on the team. I'm speaking about Purvis.

Furthermore he may not even be our best overall player. Again I expect Jalen to be the Man, but we've got some candidates on this squad. Imagine if Larrier comes through, or even Facey (with a mid range jumper and rebound domination). And 'IF' Brimah has an NBA type improvement, look out!

Anyway this is Jalen's time and I really believe he gets the keys on day 1. He can handle it, and I'm so glad he's ours.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And it's supposed to be "Adams's" not "Adams'"

My daughter and I long ago settled on calling this "the dumbening up of America."

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

My daughter and I long ago settled on calling this "the dumbening up of America."
Klnr3fY.gif

Reaction Score

The other ones actually impact the meaning... This one is just style guide pedantry.

Reaction Score

The writer's use of "Adams' " is correct. His name is not Adam. Jeez.

However, I trust he will have a great year.

Reaction Score
The writer's use of "Adams' " is correct. His name is not Adam. Jeez.

However, I trust he will have a great year.
The way he wrote was possessive of the plural of Adam. Possessive of the singular Adams is Adams's.

Reaction Score
While I doubt its going to be the case, there is a chance Jalen may not even be our best guard on the team. I'm speaking about Purvis.

Furthermore he may not even be our best overall player. Again I expect Jalen to be the Man, but we've got some candidates on this squad. Imagine if Larrier comes through, or even Facey (with a mid range jumper and rebound domination). And 'IF' Brimah has an NBA type improvement, look out!

Anyway this is Jalen's time and I really believe he gets the keys on day 1. He can handle it, and I'm so glad he's ours.

It's far from far-fetched to think that Rodney will be our best player. In fact, I would bet on that being the case.

There are a lot of guys on this team, though, who could emerge as our best player. Could be Jalen. Could be Brimah. Might even be a real dark horse like Durham or Larrier. A lot of unknowns.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Furthermore he may not even be our best overall player. Again I expect Jalen to be the Man, but we've got some candidates on this squad. Imagine if Larrier comes through, or even Facey (with a mid range jumper and rebound domination).

Ive read this a few times and just want to be clear...are you saying you think Facey could be our best player? I would be absolutely stunned if this happened. If we were to rank the players in order of most likely to be the best player on the team, Facey would be much closer to the bottom than the top.

Reaction Score
Ive read this a few times and just want to be clear...are you saying you think Facey could be our best player? I would be absolutely stunned if this happened. If we were to rank the players in order of most likely to be the best player on the team, Facey would be much closer to the bottom than the top.
The imagination (i.e. dream) being if he rebounds like hell and has a mid range O game, this team would be outstanding. In other words just saying team wise we would then have multiple contenders which make us formidable.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It can be done either way. Style guides differ.

Seriously? And I'm not questioning you so much as the style guides. I'd love to see the style guide and read the reasoning.
If you were doing the individual possessives for my partner Franz and me, wouldn't it be Franz's and Hans's?
If Hans' would be acceptable, then why not Franz'?
Or I would think that Hans' would refer to the possessive of Han Solo and Han Groo.

So why would it be different for Jalen Adams, whose name is not a plural and with the letter "s?"

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Seriously? And I'm not questioning you so much as the style guides. I'd love to see the style guide and read the reasoning.
If you were doing the individual possessives for my partner Franz and me, wouldn't it be Franz's and Hans's?
If Hans' would be acceptable, then why not Franz'?
Or I would think that Hans' would refer to the possessive of Han Solo and Han Groo.

So why would it be different for Jalen Adams, whose name is not a plural and with the letter "s?"

Seriously. Google it. There are a number of sites tackling it. Guides have different rules (e.g., it depends on whether the s has an s or z sound) and exceptions (e.g., for biblical names like Moses). I spent way too much time trying to prove my way (I generally would add the s after an apostrophe) was right before I had to admit I couldn't.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Seriously. Google it. There are a number of sites tackling it. Guides have different rules (e.g., it depends on whether the s has an s or z sound) and exceptions (e.g., for biblical names like Moses). I spent way too much time trying to prove my way (I generally would add the s after an apostrophe) was right before I had to admit I couldn't.

And man, at the end of the day? Doesn't matter a lick.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

For now, I'll take your word for and wonder how it can be so. Is it like "regardless" and "irregardless*coming to mean the same thing and be equally OK? What's next, "it's" being recognized as the possessive of "it?"

Reaction Score
Good rule of thumb....

Noun? Add an "s" after the apostrophe.

Proper noun? Don't.

That, my friends, is pedantry.

Isn't it the other way around?

"The puppies' water bowls were all knocked over."

"Jalen Adams's mom came to the game yesterday."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online