Cole Hamels to Boston rumor | The Boneyard

Cole Hamels to Boston rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A sports reporter friend of mine insists Hamels to Boston is all but a done deal. He has been good on his scoops in the past. We will see.

Reaction Score
A sports reporter friend of mine insists Hamels to Boston is all but a done deal. He has been good on his scoops in the past. We will see.
The Red Sox interest has certainly been rumored for months. However, Hamels is virtually the same age as Lester, who the Sox were hesitant to give a long-term deal like the one that Hamels has (through 2019 with vesting option for 2020). Lester also would have just cost $$, while taking on Hamels long-term big $$$ contract will also cost young talent in trade. It should be interesting.

Reaction Score
True.

But what Hamels has remaining 4/90 is about what they wanted to give Lester, who will likely get like 6/140 or something. If happens...see who they have to give up....

Reaction Score
You're right. I thought he was signed through 2019 with an option for 2020, but I was off by a year. He's signed through 2018 at $22.5M each with a $20M option (5/$110M) for 2019 or a $6M buyout (4/$96M).

Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan I could only hope they trade for Hamels and don't sign Lester.......win - win

Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan I could only hope they trade for Hamels and don't sign Lester..win - win
I agree it would be a win-win for the Yankees. The sox would seriously weaken their player pool and the Yankees will sign Lester. As I stated in the thread on "The Sox Off-season", they should avoid a mega-trade, sign an available free agent and hang on to their prospects. However, I am convinced that they will do something stupid in an attempt to show the fans that they care. It is interesting to note that 3 of the remaining four teams in the playoffs have been built primarily with home grown talent.

Reaction Score
It is interesting to note that 3 of the remaining four teams in the playoffs have been built primarily with home grown talent.

True this year but that is pretty rare these days. Usually it is a combo of some homegrown talent plus some high end FAs that pay off...and also using other homegrown talent to trade for helpful pieces.

Reaction Score
True this year but that is pretty rare these days. Usually it is a combo of some homegrown talent plus some high end FAs that pay off...and also using other homegrown talent to trade for helpful pieces.

It's so difficult now and it's also crazy NOT to trade away talented kids for veteran impact guys like Hamels. I mean you guys probably could've gotten a nice player in exchange for Middleton a couple of years ago and now look! I thought he'd be a stud as well as Boagarts who we don't know about yet either. Take the impact guys NOW when you can get them, hell with "potential".

Reaction Score
Sign Lester and trade for Hamels!

There's a good chance neither will happen, but that would be one hell of an offseason no?

Bogaerts has shown good OBP as opposed to Middlebrooks who was always a swing and miss guy.

Xander had some struggles for sure, but hitting what, 13 HR as a 21 y/o SS isn't too bad. Usually you'll see a kid go through a few ups and downs, I expect him to come back with a much better 2015. I also wouldn't trade Mookie at all. I would protect him even stronger than Xander.

So if you can get a package for Swihart, Barnes and Ranaudo...something like that, I'd make a run at Hamels. Swihart is regarded as the #1 or #2 catching prospect in the minors. Barnes and Ranaudo may end up as 3-5 starters in the AL but maybe 2-4 in the NL...especially Barnes who is more of a swing and miss guy than Ranaudo.

Reaction Score

There's a good chance neither will happen, but that would be one hell of an offseason no?

Bogaerts has shown good OBP as opposed to Middlebrooks who was always a swing and miss guy.

Xander had some struggles for sure, but hitting what, 13 HR as a 21 y/o SS isn't too bad. Usually you'll see a kid go through a few ups and downs, I expect him to come back with a much better 2015. I also wouldn't trade Mookie at all. I would protect him even stronger than Xander.

So if you can get a package for Swihart, Barnes and Ranaudo...something like that, I'd make a run at Hamels. Swihart is regarded as the #1 or #2 catching prospect in the minors. Barnes and Ranaudo may end up as 3-5 starters in the AL but maybe 2-4 in the NL...especially Barnes who is more of a swing and miss guy than Ranaudo.

Agree on Mookie, the kid looks like a player and I like the way he swings the bat - not many holes in his swing. I also like Boagarts but much like Middlebrooks (who i used as a hockey name above wtf) he wasn't as good a hitter as I thought, next year will tell more. As far as Holt, he came back to earth but I think he's a nice bench guy. If you can get anything for Barnes or Ranaudo jump on it.

Reaction Score
The word is the pitcher they got from Baltimore in the Adam Miller deal....Eduardo Rodriguez....is a future potential ace.

Reaction Score

Agree on Mookie and Bogaerts but I would add Swihart to the list of players I wouldn't trade. Swihart is just as good defensively as Vazquez and is a better hitter. He could be our next Varitek. I would be willing to trade any two of Ranaudo, Barnes, De La Rosa, Webster and Workman. Garin Cecchini is another that may be expendable if they put Mookie on third. Of course I would trade Middlebrooks but you would not get much for him.

There are still a bunch of very good prospects further down in the system including pitchers Henry Owens and Brian Johnson. Also position players Sean Coyle, Travis Shaw, Reid Gragnani and Manuel Margot.

I think the future is bright but would rather suffer through another rough year than mortgage the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree on Mookie and Bogaerts but I would add Swihart to the list of players I wouldn't trade. Swihart is just as good defensively as Vazquez and is a better hitter. He could be our next Varitek. I would be willing to trade any two of Ranaudo, Barnes, De La Rosa, Webster and Workman. Garin Cecchini is another that may be expendable if they put Mookie on third. Of course I would trade Middlebrooks but you would not get much for him.

There are still a bunch of very good prospects further down in the system including pitchers Henry Owens and Brian Johnson. Also position players Sean Coyle, Travis Shaw, Reid Gragnani and Manuel Margot.

I think the future is bright but would rather suffer through another rough year than mortgage the future.

Mookie cannot play third. In fact, he was moved to second because he didn't have the arm for SS. Gammons agrees with you they won't trade Bogaerts or Swihart and adds Owens to the list. He doesn't think Mookie is untouchable. Here is what I think, you can't trade Mookie until you see if Pedroia can really be what he was or 90% of it.

They may try to get Hamels, but it would be stupid, given his inflated salary and the prospects needed. Making a push for Lester would make more sense, or trying to get someone else younger via a trade. I think the targets will be unexpected.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Cespedes is someone they may move.

I hope not but if they do .... get pitching.

Reaction Score
I think I'd rather see them deal Cespedes than Mookie. Mookie has the potential to be a star and their lead-off hitter for the future. He has a very good on base percentage and can steal bases. He is also a very good fielder who can play multiple positions. Cespedes has great power and a cannon for an arm but has never seen a pitch he doesn't like and doesn't seem to be interested in playing the field. I think the Sox should look carefully at why the A's thought he was expendable.

Reaction Score
I agree it would be a win-win for the Yankees. The sox would seriously weaken their player pool and the Yankees will sign Lester. As I stated in the thread on "The Sox Off-season", they should avoid a mega-trade, sign an available free agent and hang on to their prospects. However, I am convinced that they will do something stupid in an attempt to show the fans that they care. It is interesting to note that 3 of the remaining four teams in the playoffs have been built primarily with home grown talent.
There are too many prospects to keep them all. The Sox can trade away a few prospects and still have plenty of home grown talent. The problem is that very few of the Sox prospects appear to be front on the rotation starters at this point (haven't seen Owens).They may have a strong upside but the Sox need dependable pitching right now. They need to sign a front of the rotation starter (Hamels or Lester, preferably Lester) and another proven starter. Please no Shields!

Reaction Score
Here's my ideal scenario. Bite the bullet and sign Lester. Give him five years if necessary. He is a Red Sox icon and it would be demoralizing to see him on the Yankees. I think he could be valuable out of the pen as he ages. Sign the Panda. They need a good defensive third baseman who can hit and they need someone with a little character. Trade Cespedes and two of Workman, De La Rosa, Webster or Barnes for a decent pitcher. Their lineup would be Betts, Pedroia, the Panda, Otiz, Napoli, Bogaerts, Castillo, Craig/Victorino/Nava, Vazquez. They would still have all of their prospects and a bright future.

Reaction Score
Here's my ideal scenario. Bite the bullet and sign Lester. Give him five years if necessary. He is a Red Sox icon and it would be demoralizing to see him on the Yankees. I think he could be valuable out of the pen as he ages. Sign the Panda. They need a good defensive third baseman who can hit and they need someone with a little character. Trade Cespedes and two of Workman, De La Rosa, Webster or Barnes for a decent pitcher. Their lineup would be Betts, Pedroia, the Panda, Otiz, Napoli, Bogaerts, Castillo, Craig/Victorino/Nava, Vazquez. They would still have all of their prospects and a bright future.
Sounds good but I don't think the Sox will get back much for Cespedes since he only has 1 year remaining on his contract. I may have been one of the few who held out hope for Middlebrooks but I'm joining the rest who would like to dump him. Even though he is LH, give me the Panda and Lester.

Reaction Score
Sounds good but I don't think the Sox will get back much for Cespedes since he only has 1 year remaining on his contract. I may have been one of the few who held out hope for Middlebrooks but I'm joining the rest who would like to dump him. Even though he is LH, give me the Panda and Lester.

Love the Panda he's a baseball player. Nice hitter, solid swing and a good fielder. He'd look good in pinstripes - can I interest you in a 40 year old veteran, ex-MVP with raisin balls to play 3rd for you to open up some space on our roster?

Reaction Score
Love the Panda he's a baseball player. Nice hitter, solid swing and a good fielder. He'd look good in pinstripes - can I interest you in a 40 year old veteran, ex-MVP with raisin balls to play 3rd for you to open up some space on our roster?
I really wanted that 40 year old ass injecting ex-MVP when the Yankees signed him. Now, not so much.:)

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is going to seriously consider taking Arod. The smartest thing the Yankees could do would be to quietly buy him out and bid him farewell. He will always be remembered for his brilliance in negotiating his final contract with the Yankees and a Steinbrenner legacy.

Reaction Score
It's so difficult now and it's also crazy NOT to trade away talented kids for veteran impact guys like Hamels. I mean you guys probably could've gotten a nice player in exchange for Middleton a couple of years ago and now look! I thought he'd be a stud as well as Boagarts who we don't know about yet either. Take the impact guys NOW when you can get them, hell with "potential".

That's the Yankees fans mindset since they can operate like no other franchise. They more or less have unlimited funds and a built in economic and demographic advantage no other franchise can compete with.

You don't trade away 18-20 years of cost controlled prospects for 4 years of an expensive pitcher. It's not the smart baseball business move. Normal franchises become crippled from those types of moves while the Yankees just keep chugging along as they can take the hit if it doesn't work out.

Xander is one of the highest valued trade assets in baseball. His age skills cost and playing a premium position make him more valuable to the Sox then in a trade. Trading him creates a hole at SS and SS are very expensive on the open market

Reaction Score
That's the Yankees fans mindset since they can operate like no other franchise. They more or less have unlimited funds and a built in economic and demographic advantage no other franchise can compete with.

You don't trade away 18-20 years of cost controlled prospects for 4 years of an expensive pitcher. It's not the smart baseball business move. Normal franchises become crippled from those types of moves while the Yankees just keep chugging along as they can take the hit if it doesn't work out.

Xander is one of the highest valued trade assets in baseball. His age skills cost and playing a premium position make him more valuable to the Sox then in a trade. Trading him creates a hole at SS and SS are very expensive on the open market

You're a dope! " Yankees mindset" shows how young and stupid you actually are - nice job!! You would've said that about Middlebrooks too a couple years ago too dopey how's that working for you GM? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom