Cochran v. Boyle v. Lagow | The Boneyard

Cochran v. Boyle v. Lagow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
For those of you who have seen both Cochran and Boyle play in person, how do you compare their styles, strengths/weaknesses, etc.?

Also, based on what you've seen from Lagow on video, how does he compare?

If this has been covered in a condensed manner elsewhere, please direct me. Thanks in advance.

pj

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any of them play in person. I'll just say that for quarterbacks, decision-making is the most critical skill and the pace and complexity of decisions increases rapidly as the quality of competition increases. This is one position where the difference in quality of play between Texas and Connecticut football makes a huge difference in preparedness to play BCS level football.

Another key characteristics of successful QBs is accuracy. This is critical in 7v7 competitions where reliably completing short passes enables steady marches down the field. (Speed of decision-making is also critical as there is a 4 second time limit in which the QB must throw.) Lagow won the Texas 7v7 competition so you know he is very accurate and a good, quick decision-maker. Someone reported that when he played at UConn's summer camp he didn't throw an incompletion. Don't know if it's true but if so it speaks to superb accuracy.

Cochran and Boyle have talent and have the potential to develop into good QBs, but they are both likely to be behind Lagow I would expect.

Reaction Score
I've only seen each of their film. I still maintain that to my eye, Lagow is clearly head and shoulders the most impressive. I would rate Cochran 2nd ahead of Boyle. I think the gap between Lagow and Cochran is much bigger than the gap between Cochran and Boyle. Of course I'm just a football junkie who doesn't do this for a living, so take this with a grain of salt.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Lagow is a more athletic Dan Marino, Cochran is Drew Brees and Boyle hasn't committed to UCONN yet so he is just Boyle, if he commits to UCONN he is Joe Montana.

I would settle for Bret Farve.

Reaction Score
2012 Boyle vs. Lagow MaxPreps stat comparison
2011 Cochran vs Boyle vs Lagow MaxPreps stat comparison

Unfortunately, you aren't able to compare players from two different seasons. Numbers-wise, Cochran's senior season is significantly better then both Boyle and Lagow. I will post more later.

Reaction Score
I saw Cochran play twice and Boyle once.
Cochran is an extremely accurate passer. Masuk ran a spread and he had a nice rhythm going. Checked off his primary guy. Smart.
Boyle seems to have a stronger arm and throws a prettier long ball. A little more athletic than CC.
It depends what TJW wants from his QB. Neither is a runner.
Of course, all 3 games were blowouts and they didnt throw many 2nd half passes.

It should be interesting.

Reaction Score
I saw Cochran play twice and Boyle once.
Cochran is an extremely accurate passer. Masuk ran a spread and he had a nice rhythm going. Checked off his primary guy. Smart.
Boyle seems to have a stronger arm and throws a prettier long ball. A little more athletic than CC.
It depends what TJW wants from his QB. Neither is a runner.
Of course, all 3 games were blowouts and they didnt throw many 2nd half passes.

It should be interesting.
Watched CC play in HS championship game, and his team was beaten pretty good. He didn't look very good either. Same at Spring game. Threw a few good passes, but not enough to say he was anywhere near CW's ability. Watched Boyle in games on tv, and he had good and bad. He was bad vs. Hand, and decent vs. NFA. Just the fact that Lagow is 6'6 is a huge plus, as is Boyle's 6'4. Casey is always going to have to be 100% to get a chance.

Reaction Score
Watched CC play in HS championship game, and his team was beaten pretty good. He didn't look very good either. Same at Spring game. Threw a few good passes, but not enough to say he was anywhere near CW's ability. Watched Boyle in games on tv, and he had good and bad. He was bad vs. Hand, and decent vs. NFA. Just the fact that Lagow is 6'6 is a huge plus, as is Boyle's 6'4. Casey is always going to have to be 100% to get a chance.

I'm pretty sure Cochran's played in two state title games in his life and he's won both of them. Once as a freshman and once as a junior.

Reaction Score
2012 Boyle vs. Lagow MaxPreps stat comparison
2011 Cochran vs Boyle vs Lagow MaxPreps stat comparison

Unfortunately, you aren't able to compare players from two different seasons. Numbers-wise, Cochran's senior season is significantly better then both Boyle and Lagow. I will post more later.
Could not find the stat for playing in arguably the toughest public school district in the nation. :) The end of the race is all that ever matters.

Reaction Score
I saw Cochran play a few times in high school. Ran out of the gun a lot. I think coming up to UConn and running offense from under center was an adjustment. He seems much more comfortable out of the shotgun. That even showed in the spring game. I wouldn't hold the Hand game against him (I was at that one too), the Hand defense was super physical and dominated Masuk that game. One game is not an indicator. I saw New Britain dominate Kory Sheets and Bloomfield to the tune of 55-0 and Mr. Sheets did just fine at Purdue. I saw Boyle play vs Greenwich. Real strong arm, better runner than Cochran - at least in that game. But he also had a much more physical running offense than Cochran at Masuk. Boyle looked like he could throw it 50 yds without much effort. Not as accurate at times though as Cochran I'd say.
And yes, Casey won a state title with New London after replacing Jordan Reed as a freshman and won another as a junior with Masuk.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Could not find the stat for playing in arguably the toughest public school district in the nation. :) The end of the race is all that ever matters.

Connecticut can't wait for Richard to arrive in Storrs. His comments the other day about competition suggest he's exactly the type of student athlete we need to recruit.

Reaction Score
There's no question about the competition Richard faced. That's also what scares me. He threw 8 TDs, 6 INTs, and had 71 rushes for -1 yard against D1 players in high school. That doesn't get me excited, just yet. It tell me two things...Either he is not as good a runner as everyone seems to think or he took way too many sacks. We're not playing in 7 v 7 tournaments here. We want to play in bowl games. I look forward to seeing him come in and compete for the starting job. We need it desperately. If he can bring some OL from TX that would be great too. I love his confidence, but it's what happens between the white lines that wins games.

pj

Reaction Score
There's no question about the competition Richard faced. That's also what scares me. He threw 8 TDs, 6 INTs, and had 71 rushes for -1 yard against D1 players in high school. That doesn't get me excited, just yet. It tell me two things...Either he is not as good a runner as everyone seems to think or he took way too many sacks. We're not playing in 7 v 7 tournaments here. We want to play in bowl games. I look forward to seeing him come in and compete for the starting job. We need it desperately. If he can bring some OL from TX that would be great too. I love his confidence, but it's what happens between the white lines that wins games.

I don't get it Kris, how can that scare you. He did creditably well against high-level football competition. His 7v7 performance suggests what can be done with an appropriate supporting cast. His high school team focused on the running game, presumably that tells you something about a weakness either in the receiving corps or pass protection. He was on a mediocre (5-6) team facing the toughest high school defenses in the country. Boyle by comparison was on one of the strongest teams in the state, quality players all over the team, playing against weak competition. Nevertheless in the direct statistical comparison to Boyle, Lagow had only 6% fewer yards passing on 14% fewer attempts and 25% fewer INTs. Not a big difference, but Lagow had more yards per attempt and fewer INTs per attempt with a weaker balance of strength on his team vs the defense. Stylistic differences can have a big effect on the TD/INT ratio. Lagow had 11 running TDs, Boyle 4; add those to the passing TDs and the comparison looks a lot closer. If you're a running team and you always run in the red zone, the QB is not going to pile up the passing TDs. If you're a running team and most passing plays are in obvious passing situations, the INT total tends to get run up (see Whitmer this year). It's pretty good to only have 6 INTs. If you're a running team and you only pass in obvious passing situations, it's pretty creditable to end up with -1 yards rushing. Whitmer had 61 rushing attempts for -161 yards. Does this make Whitmer an awful QB? No, it tells us more about the quality of his offensive line and whether the defense was able to predict a passing play.

I don't get how anyone can look at their resumes and think Boyle is better.

Reaction Score

Or he had a really bad offensive line and that led to a lot of sacks which hurt his rushing numbers.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I don't get it Kris, how can that scare you. He did creditably well against high-level football competition. His 7v7 performance suggests what can be done with an appropriate supporting cast. His high school team focused on the running game, presumably that tells you something about a weakness either in the receiving corps or pass protection. He was on a mediocre (5-6) team facing the toughest high school defenses in the country. Boyle by comparison was on one of the strongest teams in the state, quality players all over the team, playing against weak competition. Nevertheless in the direct statistical comparison to Boyle, Lagow had only 6% fewer yards passing on 14% fewer attempts and 25% fewer INTs. Not a big difference, but Lagow had more yards per attempt and fewer INTs per attempt with a weaker balance of strength on his team vs the defense. Stylistic differences can have a big effect on the TD/INT ratio. Lagow had 11 running TDs, Boyle 4; add those to the passing TDs and the comparison looks a lot closer. If you're a running team and you always run in the red zone, the QB is not going to pile up the passing TDs. If you're a running team and most passing plays are in obvious passing situations, the INT total tends to get run up (see Whitmer this year). It's pretty good to only have 6 INTs. If you're a running team and you only pass in obvious passing situations, it's pretty creditable to end up with -1 yards rushing. Whitmer had 61 rushing attempts for -161 yards. Does this make Whitmer an awful QB? No, it tells us more about the quality of his offensive line and whether the defense was able to predict a passing play.

The more the merrier. May the best man win.

Havent seen either of them play, so I have no clue who is better.

But I'm pretty sure kris1 is related to Boyle. Or Cochran. Or Chandler.

Reaction Score

Nowhere in that post did I say Boyle was better. I have seen Boyle a number of time and feel he can compete for the job in 2013 or 2014. When I watch film on Lagow, I got the impression that he was extremely talented and very athletic. When I looked at his numbers, they told a different story. I guess I expected numbers similar to Boyle's with more rushing yards. Yes, he had 11 rushing TDs, likely short run based on his rushing totals per game. I'm not saying Boyle or Cochran are better then Lagow, but I'm not give Lagow the keys just yet. I think he has an edge based on the league he played in but I wouldn't count Boyle or Cochran out. They'll compete for tge job. We don't play 7v7 last I checked.

And "YES" Whitmer stunk.

And no I'm not related to Boyle or Cochran. I'll admit, that was funny though. I follow CTHSFB closely and have seen them enough to give my opinion on both. I can only base Lagow's potential on what I've read, video I've seen, and stats. So take my opinion on him with a grain of salt. It'll all play out in the Fall.

Reaction Score
Soon enough, it will camp time again, time to weed out all weaklings and non hackers, we do no look down on people from different regions, race, creed, or experience. They are equally worthless,until they prove themselves worthy to take the field.

(paraphrased from Master Gunnery Seargent Hartman)

Reaction Score
Three picks were balls that went through the receivers hand and were tipped to the dback, two were end of half 70+ yard heaves, the remainder he owns trying to squeeze in a tight window. At a real 6'6" he sees everything, it is not an exaggerated. He was actually relieved after Uconn got the last commit because he felt loyalty in part because the coaches were calling and he would not talk. Now the coach that recruited him is gone, a new OC is in place, they have a QB that they obviously think can compete or they could have spent that money towards an OL position to protect the QB and perhaps not need as many, and if he wanted to he could think about other options and not feel bad if he moved on. He has an offer from Uconn, they did not tell him he could look around even when they new they had another recruit, he has not been told by other programs they did not have a place for him and so he chose Uconn by default, and he genuinely seemed relieved when he knew there was a new QB and said it made no impact on his decision towards Uconn. I told him he could hang up his cleats and not play and I would have fewer sleepless before night games and he made it very clear that was not an option. But the thing people do not realize is that for 90% of the time these rating companies were not allowed to talk to him and I screened everything and actually told one rating company to keep their reporter away from my son. He might be a little under rated, we will see. He does not need a scholarship to attend the college of his choice and now that Uconn has a QB and the dead time is here I think he is happier because, to put it in a gamblers way, he is the only one at the table who has not placed his cards on the table and he feels he is holding the winning hand.

Reaction Score
I can't tell you how excited I am that Richard is coming to CT! Texas is nationally known for QB's and he has distinguished himself in a very tough football environment. His physical attributes are something we haven't had since Dan O. I think he will be a great one for us before all is said and done. But having said that, I am most excited that as a program we have several quality QBs who will compete for the starting role. That's something we haven't had. We've only ever been able to have one or two QB's ready to play and start at any time but I believe this group is the best we've ever had and will be solid in leading our offense. Whether Richard starts or red-shirts this year he is going to add a lot to our program going forward. Both he and Boyle will be at a decided dis-advantage to make the two deep because of arriving in summer camp but both bring the element of height and vision which can help a QB tremendously so I see them having an advantage in the following year's competition.

Reaction Score
Three picks were balls that went through the receivers hand and were tipped to the dback, two were end of half 70+ yard heaves, the remainder he owns trying to squeeze in a tight window. At a real 6'6" he sees everything, it is not an exaggerated. He was actually relieved after Uconn got the last commit because he felt loyalty in part because the coaches were calling and he would not talk. Now the coach that recruited him is gone, a new OC is in place, they have a QB that they obviously think can compete or they could have spent that money towards an OL position to protect the QB and perhaps not need as many, and if he wanted to he could think about other options and not feel bad if he moved on. He has an offer from Uconn, they did not tell him he could look around even when they new they had another recruit, he has not been told by other programs they did not have a place for him and so he chose Uconn by default, and he genuinely seemed relieved when he knew there was a new QB and said it made no impact on his decision towards Uconn. I told him he could hang up his cleats and not play and I would have fewer sleepless before night games and he made it very clear that was not an option. But the thing people do not realize is that for 90% of the time these rating companies were not allowed to talk to him and I screened everything and actually told one rating company to keep their reporter away from my son. He might be a little under rated, we will see. He does not need a scholarship to attend the college of his choice and now that Uconn has a QB and the dead time is here I think he is happier because, to put it in a gamblers way, he is the only one at the table who has not placed his cards on the table and he feels he is holding the winning hand.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the kid's footwork, but hey - since it's dead time, I'll share a story. There was a discussion a while back around here, about what program that us diehards would like to see UConn match up against, either the for the first, time, or for a rematch.....or maybe it was a discussion about our most memorable game? Yeah, I think that was it - what was the most memorable game I think was the discussion. Or maybe worst loss? Whatever - we were talkign about games......Wait...I remember now - it was a best win/worst loss discussion. My pick was SMU. Worst loss. This was before the whole conference started, and I remember thinking we'd never get a rematch. But that's changed.

As is often the case with me, I don't really remember the wins that much, but losses stick to me like glue. In 1989, we had SMU on the schedule, second week of the season in September. We had a really good team in the late 80's. We were 1-AA then, (having officially gone from small college division 1, to division 1-AA, when it was established in the late 1970s (long, long discussion there.......) but the choice was made, we went 1-AA, and we actually did pretty well under Tom Jackson in the 80s. (Joe Paterno guy).

Matchups with 1-A programs, were very much looked forward to, even if it was SMU, in the first year back after the death penalty. I won't rehash the game. Simple blurb. Up by 30-14 with five minutes to go in the game. Lose 31-30 on the XP with no time on the clock. Huge kick in the nuts. We went on to win our own conference that season, I believe set a record that still stands having played (and won) the longest OT game ever later in the year....yankee conference rules. You'd be surprised some of the football names come out of UConn in the 1980s, both coaches and players.

Now - so you know - this was the same year that UConn basketball rose on the national scene under Jim Calhoun. The Big EAst conference was dominating in basketball, and UConn was part of it. Tate George last second shot over Clemson...HUGE. (there was no Big East football conference yet). Husky Mania - ruled the 3+ million residents of Connecticut. 1-AA football, was important to oh....about 15,000 fans, the players families and girlfriends, the band, and the players themselves. (UConn Football was an afterthought in CT in 1989 - Yale v Harvard was the biggest draw. Times have changed in teh decades since)

So move on to the early 1990s. I'm in florida with my future wife and some of her friends from CT, in 1992 I believe, her friends had gone to small school in NY, other places, and she wanted me to make an impression - you know women. All were "Huskymaniacs". Loved UConn hoops. None of her friends knew me at all. We took in a spring training game in West Palm. Atlanta Braves - when Deion Sanders was playing. Met him - funny guy. Signed autograph with dollar sign for S in Sanders of course. So we're sitting out in the outfield, watching and talking and it turns out the group of people sitting next to us, were from Texas - SMU folks. We get to talking and they find out we're from Connecticut, and I'm from UConn.

They get all happy, and tell all of us how great our team was in 1989, and how psyched they were to beat us, and got all happy about it. THe hair was raising on my neck, but my wife either punched me, or was kicking me and squeezing my hand, and I said nothing. Her friends - now - remember - basketball nuts, not UConn people, were agreeing - happily - yeah it was a great year for US - we did great!! I left things unsaid.

later, after we had left, I think it was final four time, or something, we were watching college basketball at a resturant/bar, and my wife's friends all get to talking about the group we had met at the baseball game, and reminiscing the 1989 uconn b-ball season (it was called the "Dream Season" up here). None of them remembered losing to SMU, or could even remember playing them, and just kind of moved on in the discussion.

I wanted to kick everybody's ass, but my wife kept me quiet. I had to make impressions. To this day, I don't think any of them really know how pissed off I was at them that day. :)

In the past 24 years, football has changed dramatically at UConn. I don't know if you've personally visited campus yet, but I think, when I read that you say that your son fell in love with UConn, that it's very easy to believe. As for basketball, we've become a three time national champion. We've won multiple national titles in pretty much all the sports we compete. We are no where near, YET, discussions regarding winning national titles in Football, but we're a multiple conference title winner in the last two conferences we've been in, and I'm more than sure we'll be competiting for titles in this new conference that extends into Texas now. We've lined up against the best of the best, and competed, and won. We will continue to do so.

Welcome to UConn Country.

Reaction Score
Mr. Lagow,

I just want to say Thank You for your participation on the board. Despite whatever conference issues that UConn may have right now, I firmly believe that the future for the university, both academically and for athletics, remains bright and underappreciated by most.

From what can be read, you've taken the time and made the effort to raise a great kid. My hope is that UConn is a mutually rewarding experience.

Reaction Score
So here's my question, does the skill set of either of the guys or Casey trump a year in the system? Are they good enough to push Whitmer out of the starting spot? What does everyone think the 2 deep will be?

Whitmer #1. Cochran #2. Boyle vs. Lagow (alphabetically placed) will battle for the #3 QB. #4. Will be the scout team QB.

McCummings, and however the new OC, wants to use his skill set, will be the wildcard. I just don't see him able to compete in the basics of pro-set offense and drop back passing with the others though.

Huge battle for #3 and #4, because my guess is the carrot that will be dangled, is that the #3 guy will get to be on the travel squads and dress and prepare with the starting team week to week.

That's my prediction.

Reaction Score
I appreciate that and will simply say there are a ton of QB's out there that are 6'2.5" and through the recruiting process they grow to 6'4" or more. Richard stood at 6'6" and started slumping down when measured after a doctor's physical showed him at 6'6.5" because he was afraid programs would think a QB taller than 6'5" could not move. He can scoot and ran a laser timed 4.88 at Under Armour's. His coach this year told him to start running out of bounds and quit lowering his shoulder and taking on guys, he rarely followed that direction. There is one 40 time that stuck with him that he ran at an event three days after being released for activities after a broken ankle his junior season. I told him not to run the forty at the event and he did it anyway and was not close to being ready. It was a mistake and he did not choose to attend many events because he was focused on working to get ready for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom