Coaching Candidates per The Courant | The Boneyard

Coaching Candidates per The Courant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...hing-candidates-1001-20130930,0,4413543.story

UConn Ties
Rob Ambrose, Towson head coach: Former UConn offensive coordinator, came back to Rentschler and beat the Huskies in Week 1
Joe Moorhead, Fordham head coach: Another former UConn offensive coordinator, his team is 5-0 in the Patriot League this season.

Norries Wilson, Rutgers running back coach: Former UConn assistant left to become Columbia head coach and was fired after six seasons. Interviewed for Buffalo job by then-AD Warde Manuel in 2005.
T.J. Weist, UConn offensive coordinator: High energy, first-year assistant could get some consideration if the Huskies offensive improves the rest of the season.
Hank Hughes, UConn defensive coordinator: Interviewed for the job after Edsall left; in his 13th season at UConn.
Head Coaches
Dave Clawson, Bowling Green: Former Fordham and Richmond coach also spent one season as Tennessee's offensive coordinator.
Pete Lembo, Ball State: Former Lehigh and Elon coach is considered a candidate for bigger job after leading team to a 9-win season last year and a 4-1 start this season.
Matt Campbell, Toledo: At 33, the youngest coach in FBS. Led team to a 9-4 record in his first full season in 2012.
Ron English, Eastern Michigan: Former Michigan assistant whose time in Ann Arbor overlapped with Warde Manuel's tenure in the athletic department, English is just 11-41 in four-plus seasons and his reputation is bit a tarnished.
Turner Gill, Liberty: He has a history with Manuel, who hired him to coach Buffalo. Gill led the Bulls to an 8-win season in 2008, but he spent two tough seasons at Kansas and was fired after going 5-19. He is 9-7 in one-plus season at Liberty.
Assistant Coaches
Kirby Smart, Alabama defensive coordinator: Perhaps the hottest name in the country and seeimingly would have his pick of premium jobs.
Mario Cristobal, Alabama offensive line coach: Former head coach of Florida International was once a rising star in the coaching world, but he was fired by FIU after 3-9 record in 2012. Former Rutgers assistant also played and coached at Miami.
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State defensive coordinator: Like Smart, a highly regarded coordinator and assistant head coach. Another assistant who figures to get a look from some major programs.
Chad Morris, Clemson offensive coordinator: Was a candidate for head coaching jobs with South Florida and North Carolina State and his name has been floated as Mack Brown's replacement in Texas.
Scott Frost, Oregon offensive coordinator: A Chip Kelly protege, Frost, 38, is considered a rising star and could attract attention for jobs all over the country. Played at Stanford and Nebraska, where he could be a candidate if the head coaching job is vacant.
Bob Diaco, Notre Dame defensive coordinator: A highly-regarded defensive coach who followedBrian Kelly from Cincinnati to Notre Dame in 2010. Won the Broyles Award as the top assistant in the country in 2012.
D.J. Durkin, Florida defensive coordinator: Former Stanford assistant, has coached under botherJim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer.
Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator: Just 42, he's been an assistant at Clemson and Oklahoma. He played at Kansas State.
Mark D'Onofrio, Miami defensive coordinator: Was a candidate for the head job at Temple afterSteve Addazio left for Boston College last year. Coached at Temple under Al Golden before following Golden to Miami.
Frank Wilson, LSU running back coach and recruiting coordinator: Has the reputation as one of the best recruiters in the country, has coached at Tennessee, Southern Miss, and Ole Miss.
Scot Loeffler, Virginia Tech offensive coordinator: Has coached at Auburn, Temple, Florida and Michigan, where he played quarterback. Another Michigan connection.
NFL Types
Eric Mangini, 49ers consultant: Hartford native and Wesleyan graduate was head coach of Jetsand Browns after serving as assistant with the Patriots. No college experience.
Josh McDaniel: Patriots offensive coordinator: Former Denver Broncos head coach has little college experience (graduate assistant at Michigan State), but he's considered a bright mind and is aBill Belichick protege.
Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator: New Jersey native coached under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and was a candidate for the Penn State job that went to former Patriots assistant Bill O'Brien.
And A Few Others
Lane Kiffin: Fired by Southern Cal Sunday, he's available. He's also a lightning rod and his track record isn't so good.
Mark Whipple: Former New Haven and UMass coach was a finalist for the job when Pasqualoni was hired. Has a long career in the NFL and in college, but isn't coaching this year.
Bobby Petrino: The former Atlanta Falcons, Louisville and Arkansas coach is serving time at Western Kentucky after losing the Arkansas job when a story surfaced about his inappropriate relationship with a female employee.
Kevin Gilbride, Giants assistant: The North Haven native and Southern Connecticut graduate was a candidate for the UConn job in 1998. stant: North Haven native and Southern Connecticut graduate was a finalist for the UConn job in 1998. Randy Edsall got the job over Gilbride and Wisconsin assistant Brad Childress.

Reaction Score
My eye goes to Pete Lembo.

Yes: a total non-entity. But, at both Elon and now Ball State, he took woeful Programs (1 or 2 win previous years) and quickly turned them to 9 win teams. And, they are good this year. When he coached at Rentschler (yes we played Lehigh), they were a broad innovative offense that ran the ball well. With far less talent.

I like the idea of Josh McDaniel.

Reaction Score
Some of these are legit.....others not so much. Ron English? Really?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Cross the bottom 7 off the list immediately. NFL types with no recent college experience need not apply. Kiffin is a non-starter from the gun.

Reaction Score
I see three names I like:

Petrino, Moorehead and Lembo.

I really don't like Gill, Whip, Kiffin, Wilson or Ambrose.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy's list is as follows:

Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette — If Manuel opts for a young, up-and-coming small school coach, this could be the guy. Hudspeth, 44, was highly successful at North Alabama before taking the Louisiana-Lafayette job, where he went 9-4 in each of his first two seasons.
Cam Cameron, LSU—Might be a stretch, but perhaps Cameron, the former head coach of the Miami Dolphins and current offensive coordinator at LSU, wants to become the head guy again. Also important to know: Cameron was on the Michigan staff as a quarterbacks/wide receivers coach during Manuel’s playing days. The UConn job could serve as a springboard for Cameron, 52, to land a high-major gig within a few years.
Calvin Magee, Arizona — A former offensive coordinator at Michigan, the 50-year-old Magee currently serves the associate head coach for Rich Rodriguez. He’s a former NFL player and a 1996 graduate of South Florida, so he presumably has strong ties in an important state. But he’s a student of the spread option attack, which may not be ideal in Storrs.
Rob Ambrose, Towson — Ex-UConn players would love this. Ambrose, the Huskies offensive coordinator from 2005-08, has assembled a legitimate FCS contender in Towson. Of course, the Tigers’ 33-18 win over UConn in the opener was the beginning of the end for Pasqualoni.
Turner Gill, Liberty — Manuel’s big hire at Buffalo paid major dividends. It seems unlikely, but maybe he’ll go to Gill once again.
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State — I didn’t come up with this one myself. CBSSports.com writer Bruce Feldman tweeted that Narduzzi, the Spartans’ 47-year-old defensive coordinator, should be atop Manuel’s list.
Greg Schiano, Tampa Bay Buccaneers — It’s looking like Schiano will be out of a job by January. Problem is, the Huskies probably can’t wait that long to tab their next coach (also, Schiano underachieved at Rutgers. Great recruits, never won anything).
Brett Favre, Somewhere in Mississippi — This list needed at least one outrageous suggestion. So there ya go.

Reaction Score
My eye goes to Pete Lembo.

Yes: a total non-entity. But, at both Elon and now Ball State, he took woeful Programs (1 or 2 win previous years) and quickly turned them to 9 win teams. And, they are good this year. When he coached at Rentschler (yes we played Lehigh), they were a broad innovative offense that ran the ball well. With far less talent.

I like the idea of Josh McDaniel.

I'm on board the Lembo bandwagon as well. Would be an excellent choice imo.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From the list, my favorites are:​
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State defensive coordinator: Like Smart, a highly regarded coordinator and assistant head coach. Another assistant who figures to get a look from some major programs.
Chad Morris, Clemson offensive coordinator: Was a candidate for head coaching jobs with South Florida and North Carolina State and his name has been floated as Mack Brown's replacement in Texas.
Scott Frost, Oregon offensive coordinator: A Chip Kelly protege, Frost, 38, is considered a rising star and could attract attention for jobs all over the country. Played at Stanford and Nebraska, where he could be a candidate if the head coaching job is vacant.
Pete Lembo, Ball State: Former Lehigh and Elon coach is considered a candidate for bigger job after leading team to a 9-win season last year and a 4-1 start this season.
Frank Wilson, LSU running back coach and recruiting coordinator: Has the reputation as one of the best recruiters in the country, has coached at Tennessee, Southern Miss, and Ole Miss.
Eric Mangini, 49ers consultant: Hartford native and Wesleyan graduate was head coach of Jetsand Browns after serving as assistant with thePatriots. No college experience.
Josh McDaniel: Patriots offensive coordinator: Former Denver Broncos head coach has little college experience (graduate assistant at Michigan State), but he's considered a bright mind and is aBill Belichick protege.
Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator: New Jersey native coached under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and was a candidate for the Penn State job that went to former Patriots assistant Bill O'Brien.
I also like (from Kevin Duffy):
Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette — If Manuel opts for a young, up-and-coming small school coach, this could be the guy. Hudspeth, 44, was highly successful at North Alabama before taking the Louisiana-Lafayette job, where he went 9-4 in each of his first two seasons.
Cam Cameron, LSU—Might be a stretch, but perhaps Cameron, the former head coach of the Miami Dolphins and current offensive coordinator at LSU, wants to become the head guy again. Also important to know: Cameron was on the Michigan staff as a quarterbacks/wide receivers coach during Manuel’s playing days. The UConn job could serve as a springboard for Cameron, 52, to land a high-major gig within a few years.

And I'd consider Greg Schiano if he is fired by Tampa.

Reaction Score
If ex huskies really like Ambrose I can get on that bandwagon. It would be a symbolic restoration of the Edsall regime which looks really good right now. That could be a low risk pick for Warde, Ambrose is young, knows CT, and is highly successful at his current gig.

Reaction Score
There's no arguing what Ambrose has done at Towson but he has a rep as a jerk. I want this program to be sold on every level. That starts with a coach that wins the love of the fans.

Reaction Score
Let's whittle this down. A LOT. Interim won't get job unless they go 7-2 or better.
No previous ties to UConn and Manuel are HIGHLY desirable. Connecticut ties should almost be a negative this time around. Mangini? Gilbride? you gotta be kidding me
Youth - 35-50 -- is key. Assistants at high elite P5s (Alabama, etc. ) are reaches. . .
Another factor is Sue and Warde might be inclined to move the national needle given the low number of minority head coaches. So plenty more out there beyond Wilson not mentioned on list.

Dave Clawson, Bowling Green:
Pete Lembo, Ball State:
Matt Campbell, Toledo:
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State defensive coordinator
Chad Morris, Clemson offensive coordinator:
Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator:J
Mark D'Onofrio, Miami defensive coordinator:
Frank Wilson, LSU running back coach and recruiting coordinator:
Scot Loeffler, Virginia Tech offensive coordinator:
Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Considering that Roman is considered one of the top, if not <i> the </i> top candidate for the USC job, you can probably remove him from the list.

Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy:
Brett Favre, Somewhere in Mississippi — This list needed at least one outrageous suggestion. So there ya go.

This is awesome. I love the idea, except it would take him like 4 years to decide!!

that was too easy, i know.

Reaction Score
There's no arguing what Ambrose has done at Towson but he has a rep as a jerk. I want this program to be sold on every level. That starts with a coach that wins the love of the fans.

Calhoun was kind of a jerk, too. Just sayin'.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If ex huskies really like Ambrose I can get on that bandwagon. It would be a symbolic restoration of the Edsall regime which looks really good right now. That could be a low risk pick for Warde, Ambrose is young, knows CT, and is highly successful at his current gig.

I have really turned around (positively) on Ambrose. He has really revitalized Towson, and obviously would be familiar with the challenges in coaching at UConn.

Reaction Score
Like Narduzzi for his Big Ten ties. Ambrose would be nice too. Definitely stay the heck out of the NFL. Completely different game. Fitting square pegs into rounds - already been there done that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
is Josh McDaniel even a legit possibility? That would be interesting.

O'Brien left last year for Penn State. Josh needs to polish his resume after not being ready for the Denver job (which Bill B evidently thought when he got it). Since then, did a nice job as OC for the Rams and is back with the Pats. Bill B has maybe 2-3 more years, if he leaves when Brady does as predicted. Is Josh better positioned for the Pats job if he stays as OC or runs the ship in Storrs?

I think UConn has to at least give him a call.

Reaction Score
Feel like Turner Gil had his shot with a BCS program with a top 10 Basketball program and it didn't work.

Reaction Score
I think the key position(s) to look at when in regards to the UConn HC position is the direction of USC's coaching search and if Texas and Nebraska opens up as well by the end of the year (both complete possibilities).

Depending on who/if those programs hire new HCs that that start a chain reaction that can result in a dozen or so teams looking for new HCs- which will keep top candidates holding out longer and longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom