Coaches Poll - ND Still Gets 1 First Place Vote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaches Poll - ND Still Gets 1 First Place Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just because I think they're better doesn't mean everyone else should. That's their opinion and I respect that. If Jewel Loyd and Kayla have big games they can beat ANYONE in this league. Notre Dame isn't afraid of Uconn and majority of their team has beaten Uconn multiple times. Also, don't forget about their QUEEN of a coach. Matter of fact I'm not to sure if Uconn is a 10 point favor, more like 9 :)
ND may not be afraid of UConn right now but if they face UConn it will be their worst NiteMare. UConn lost to ND last season with a hurt team. When they got healthy UConn beat ND by 15+ in the FF with Diggins. This year UConn is much better and I will say it here. Barring injuries and just crazy foul discrepancies UConn is 20 pts better then ND. UConn is powerful at every position and has the length to make the game difficult for McBride and Lloyd. Inside its no contest.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Great quiet motivation for a team with great pride. They believe in themselves, they will fight tooth and nail to force that last voter to concede UCONN is the best.

I, also, believe this team would love to be the team to give Geno his 9th NC. It would be something they would share for ever.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Great quiet motivation for a team with great pride. They believe in themselves, they will fight tooth and nail to force that last voter to concede UCONN is the best.

I, also, believe this team would love to be the team to give Geno his 9th NC. It would be something they would share for ever.
No way, Ice. Geno said this team does not like to share, and they would all be wanting to hog the Cloud 9 trophy to themselves.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No way, Ice. Geno said this team does not like to share, and they would all be wanting to hog the Cloud 9 trophy to themselves.
They don't like to share outside the family.

Reaction Score
ND may not be afraid of UConn right now but if they face UConn it will be their worst NiteMare. UConn lost to ND last season with a hurt team. When they got healthy UConn beat ND by 15+ in the FF with Diggins. This year UConn is much better and I will say it here. Barring injuries and just crazy foul discrepancies UConn is 20 pts better then ND. UConn is powerful at every position and has the length to make the game difficult for McBride and Lloyd. Inside its no contest.
Would it be their worst nightmare? I dont think so, honestly IF the two meets each other in the NC game I believe it will be a single digit game. Rivalry game with both teams fighting to finish the season perfect. I don't think there's one player on Uconn that can guard Kayla Mcbribe. You cant stop players like Kayla and Stewart, can just hope to contain them... QUE the "you're an idiot" posts.

Reaction Score
UConn lost to ND last season with a hurt team. .
I looked back at all 4 games last year and I believe Uconn was fully healthy every game played? The difference was Breanna hit her inner EDD in the tournament games. I understand you're an Uconn fan, but give respect where its due. Notre Dame beat you guys 3 times last year while yall were healthy, but this year is a new season and I'm ready to see two healthy perfect teams play each other.

Reaction Score
I believe Kentucky is last year's Louisville. They can probably beat almost anybody and lose to almost anybody. UCONN vs. Kentucky would be an interesting game if Kentucky is on. If they're off then it is just another 30 point win. But it might be a fun game to watch.

51 TO GO

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I looked back at all 4 games last year and I believe Uconn was fully healthy every game played? The difference was Breanna hit her inner EDD in the tournament games. I understand you're an Uconn fan, but give respect where its due. Notre Dame beat you guys 3 times last year while yall were healthy, but this year is a new season and I'm ready to see two healthy perfect teams play each other.
We should definitely give ND all credit in the three losses. And yes, UConn did battle through all the issues in the fourth meet-up, but to say that UConn was "fully healthy" in any of the games is a little clueless even for a Duke fan. Banks was able to play in only the first game, Doty was a very limited version of her younger self for most of the season, Dolson was hobbled by a painful feet and lower leg injuries in the second half of the season, and Hartley had an ankle injury that limited her abilities for much of the season until a decent run in the later part of the NCAA tournament. Stewart had a lower calf injury that kept her out of the first tourney game, though I'm not sure she was affected for any ND games.

So yeah, there were some bodies on the floor, but to use the term "fully healthy" is one that would earn a guffaw from the UConn trainers. The Huskies did fight through them to take the NC though, and that's what counts. You can never use the injuries as an excuse, even if you're a Duke fan.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
KML was hurt and Bria was hurt most of the season. Breanna MoJeff and Tuck were still inexperienced freshman.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria was playing on a bad wheel all last year. It completely altered her abilities on the court. Yes, but everyone of those games could have easily gone the opposite way. The game with the largest point spread was in the third overtime. Not one was a clear ND knockout. Worse than than that a couple were games UCONN had the lead with moments to go and let slip away. They were a team without the experience of closing out a win.

Reaction Score
We should definitely give ND all credit in the three losses. And yes, UConn did battle through all the issues in the fourth meet-up, but to say that UConn was "fully healthy" in any of the games is a little clueless even for a Duke fan. Banks was able to play in only the first game, Doty was a very limited version of her younger self for most of the season, Dolson was hobbled by a painful feet and lower leg injuries in the second half of the season, and Hartley had an ankle injury that limited her abilities for much of the season until a decent run in the later part of the NCAA tournament. Stewart had a lower calf injury that kept her out of the first tourney game, though I'm not sure she was affected for any ND games.

So yeah, there were some bodies on the floor, but to use the term "fully healthy" is one that would earn a guffaw from the UConn trainers. The Huskies did fight through them to take the NC though, and that's what counts. You can never use the injuries as an excuse, even if you're a Duke fan.
I apologize. I forgot all about the Bria Hartley ankle injury last year. Doty was spectacular her first 2 seasons but it's safe to say she was a shell of herself last season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When all is said and done . ND will have to outscore UConn and they wont. They will have to get inside on UConn and they wont. They will have to defend UConn one on one and they cant. They will have to out rebound UConn and they wont. Two things ND will do. If they make it to the finals....they will (1) show up and (2) lose by double digets.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I apologize. I forgot all about the Bria Hartley ankle injury last year. Doty was spectacular her first 2 seasons but it's safe to say she was a shell of herself last season.
Part of the process for any team is to learn how to adjust to the injuries and ailments that will definitely occur for every team in every season. UConn at least learned something from the earlier ND games about how they could beat the Irish with what they had despite the limitations. One thing that should be remembered for the "can a team beat another four times in a season" discussions is that teams do learn and make adjustments for both strategy and personnel reasons, and a 21 point blowout like ND suffered in 2011 can turn into a win later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom