Coach SOS... | The Boneyard

Coach SOS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Just a thought: with the apparent uptick in recruiting UConn FB is experiencing, is it possible that Coach SOS was being 'held back' in the same way Moorhead and Ambrose were with the offense?

A lot of folks, myself included, have wished that SOS had moved on by now, but with the caliber of kids we're currently going after - and who are COMMITTING to us - you have to give credit where it's due.

So if this is the 'real' SOS in operation, then he can stay put 'for as long as UConn will have him'. Great start to the '13 class out of him!...

Reaction Score
This boards issue with SOS is not his role as the recruiting coordinator. The problem is the lack progress for the WRs which is his coaching role.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This boards issue with SOS is not his role as the recruiting coordinator. The problem is the lack progress for the WRs which is his coaching role.

Actually, there was plenty said about his recruiting, too. I remember seeing someone type up an entire breakdown of his recruiting attempts and successes over the past few years, highlighting how he has mostly failed.

For me, I certainly believe that there is a skill to recruiting, or more to the point, recruiting well. But I also acknowledge that there are so many things that factor into whether a kid will decide to go to your university, and the recruiter is only one slice of the pie. Public perception of the program and program stability, who the head coach is and how he behaves, perceived chances of getting to "the next level", etc., all weigh in on it. I try to temper my disappointment of a recruiter's failures and my excitement of a recruiter's successes due to those issues.

Reaction Score
Actually, there was plenty said about his recruiting, too. I remember seeing someone type up an entire breakdown of his recruiting attempts and successes over the past few years, highlighting how he has mostly failed.

not that it wasn't refutted by the actual facts

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
not that it wasn't refutted by the actual facts

Since this is nearly a triple negative, I have no idea what you're saying. "Not that it was not (shown to be not true) by the actual facts." Let me digest this and I'll get back to you...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think Jerry27 is saying that it wasn't shown by the actual facts to be true that Coach Sos was a bad recruiter. If that's what he was saying, then I agree!

Reaction Score
I think Jerry27 is saying that it wasn't shown by the actual facts to be true that Coach Sos was a bad recruiter. If that's what he was saying, then I agree!
I feel so much better now that my grammar was checked. You understood what was being said, I hope you feel better about yourself too. BTW discover the semicolon or add coordinating conjunctions in the future. Oh wait, I didn't spell out "by the way"! Damn me, damn me to hell!

Grammar...seriously!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I feel so much better now that my grammar was checked. You understood what was being said, I hope you feel better about yourself too. BTW discover the semicolon or add coordinating conjunctions in the future. Oh wait, I didn't spell out "by the way"! Damn me, damn me to hell!

Grammar...seriously!

Easy does it! I wasn't going after you at all. I really didn't understand what you were saying. It wasn't until this response that my guess was confirmed. "He said 'coordinating conjunctions'..." ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
[quote="Jerry27, post: 177361, member: 418"

Grammar...seriously![/quote]

By the way, I do apologize if it came off sounding like I was being "that guy", because that wasn't my intention. After reading my posts again, I should have made it more clear that I don't wish to be "that guy"...

Reaction Score
wow, i just read like 7 of the free recruiting articles on TOS and almost every single one had a kid raving about Sos. talking about how cool he is, stays in constant contact etc. Seems to me like hes a really valuable asset as a point man to the program, making contact, relating to recruits, and bringing them in to see the facilities. Hopefully this year we can continue closing the deal.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
wow, i just read like 7 of the free recruiting articles on TOS and almost every single one had a kid raving about Sos. talking about how cool he is, stays in constant contact etc. Seems to me like hes a really valuable asset as a point man to the program, making contact, relating to recruits, and bringing them in to see the facilities. Hopefully this year we can continue closing the deal.

exactly, so wtf changed is the question. the only thing i can think of that changed is the head coach, but by me saying that a war will start. anyway, for real i do want to know whats up with this...

Reaction Score
exactly, so wtf changed is the question. the only thing i can think of that changed is the head coach, but by me saying that a war will start. anyway, for real i do want to know whats up with this...

is this directed at me?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Man, I feel like you are trying to start a war by saying that something has....oh right. ;) Anyways, the way I look at it is one of three posibilities:
1) He's always been this good and well respected, but sometimes the recruits haven't bitten (or bit somewhere else, I guess)
2) He was being held back by the former head coach in some fashion (go after smaller fish? less fish??)
3) He is getting some sort of benefit by working with Coach P.

If I have to put my money somewhere, I think I would put it on #1. I'm guessing he is who he is, and that he was always liked by the people he recruited. But maybe it just hasn't translated into as much action as it is lately. There are a number of reasons why that might be, I guess...

Reaction Score
oh ya i get what your saying, i dunno my guess is like yours that P is a better closer. Imagine what he could have sold to recruits at junior day if Boise was coming to the Rent this year... makes me pissed that we couldnt just forward the WVU money to the broncos.

I this Sos has certain deficiencies (like teaching receivers to catch and run better routes to help out our Qbs), but all this love of him recently in the recruit world is making me glad we have him on our side.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The way I look at it is that Sos has been the recruiting coordinator for like what, 6 years? Coach P is somewhat respected for his recruiting prowess in the northeast, and a man that is a very good recruiter wouldn't keep someone at the helm of recruiting if he didn't think he was worth his salt. Last year, maybe, since we were in transition, and Coach P had enough on his plate to do. But not this year. The fact that he is still the recruiting coordinator speaks volumes to me about what Coach P thinks of him.

Keep in mind that Coach P isn't afraid to shake the Asst Coaches up a little bit. Foley is no longer the Offensive Line Coach, even though we have been Running Game U for about 10 years now...

Reaction Score
Until this class is signed, sealed and delivered jury is still out for me.

Reaction Score
[quote="Jerry27, post: 177361, member: 418"

Grammar...seriously!

By the way, I do apologize if it came off sounding like I was being "that guy", because that wasn't my intention. After reading my posts again, I should have made it more clear that I don't wish to be "that guy"...[/quote]

Sorry as well, I was a bit touchy yesterday, tired of seeing the MBB team play for 15 minutes a game and look disappointed at the end! Hey we can take the lead here better jack up an off balance three as fast as we can! Wait I think he wants to drive the lane, I better give him more room! ok rant over

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Until this class is signed, sealed and delivered jury is still out for me.
thats fine, i agree. until the end in the recruit world its not over with any kid. but so far you have to be atleast happy with whats happening. and just remember neally and his hs buddy are both coming north in august also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom