Classy Rutgers fans - | The Boneyard

Classy Rutgers fans -

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
NOT
Our seats are right behind the visitor's bench. During the 1st half four women (parents?) in 'Scarlet Red' started the razzing of UConn players on the foul line. No biggie but it caught the attention of the student section - about 20 feet from them. A large group of students just turned & looked at them. At that time one of classy moms just flipped the students the bird.

I hope they enjoyed the ride home.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn said:
Shocked. Absolutely SHOCKED. I have never heard UConn fans razz a player at the free throw line nor ever seen one flip the bird.
. Wait until monday for the latter one. They *are* playing the Cardinals, after all...

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Shocked. Absolutely SHOCKED. I have never heard UConn fans razz a player at the free throw line nor ever seen one flip the bird.

I've never seen a UConn player's mother flip anyone the bird. Students (or me), well that's another matter.

Reaction Score
C'mon folks we are talk'n Rutgers here, New Jersey! She could have just had a strong penchant for flashing her IQ or their way of saying your number one! Thus a compliment. It's all in how you perceive it.
Example.
Dear Grand-daughter,
The other day I went up to our local Christian book store and saw a ‘Honk if you love Jesus’ bumper sticker .. I was feeling particularly sassy that day because I had just come from a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting. So, I bought the sticker and put it on my bumper. Boy, am I glad I did; what an uplifting experience that followed.
I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection, just lost in thought about the Lord and how good he is, and I didn’t notice that the light had changed. It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn’t honked, I’d never have noticed.. I found that lots of people love Jesus! While I was sitting there, the guy behind started honking like crazy, and then he leaned out of his window and screamed, ‘For the love of God!’ ‘Go! Go! Go! , GO!’ What an exuberant cheerleader he was for Jesus! Everyone started honking! I just leaned out my window and started waving and smiling at all those loving people. I even honked my horn a few times to share in the love!
There must have been a man from Florida back there because I heard him yelling something about a sunny beach. I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. I asked my young teenage grandson in the back seat what that meant. He said it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign or something. Well, I have never met anyone from Hawaii , so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign right back. My grandson burst out laughing. Why even he was enjoying this religious experience!!
A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but this is when I noticed the light had changed. So, grinning, I waved at all my brothers and sisters, and drove on through the intersection. I noticed that I was the only car that got through the intersection before the light changed again and felt kind of sad that I had to leave them after all the love we had shared.. So I slowed the car down, leaned out the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time as I drove away. Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!!
Will write again soon,
Love, Grandma

Reaction Score
Rutgers fans are pretty bad year in and year out. I have plenty of examples I could share from my time at UCONN... and years after of going to games where Rutgers fans were present... but what you are referencing today sounds tame for what they are known for.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Born miserable and stay miserable.
Remember the live in a state where they charge a toll for you to live and the governor won't let you cross the GWB. There is a lot of misery.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I can only say I traveled to many away games and found most folks at every arena pleasant and classy - the only exception were isolated Duke and UConn fans. Not most, not many.

But there have been UConn fans who IMHO crossed the line just as much as the Rutgers folks (probably not parents) crossed the line. Perhaps I and most Rutgers fans were treated with respect because we (personally) NEVER said anything negative about the opponent except for "miss" which my wife would shout at a free throw ("rebound red" for the 2nd of 2).

I resent characterization of all Rutgers fans a certain way, but will admit that, reading the RU message board, you only hear about what jerks UConn fans are. I repeat - I have seen some that were, but they were ultimately a small minority.

And in my experience, only a small group of RU fans are. But if you want to believe it of all, feel free.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can only say I traveled to many away games and found most folks at every arena pleasant and classy - the only exception were isolated Duke and UConn fans. Not most, not many.

But there have been UConn fans who IMHO crossed the line just as much as the Rutgers folks (probably not parents) crossed the line. Perhaps I and most Rutgers fans were treated with respect because we (personally) NEVER said anything negative about the opponent except for "miss" which my wife would shout at a free throw ("rebound red" for the 2nd of 2).

I resent characterization of all Rutgers fans a certain way, but will admit that, reading the RU message board, you only hear about what jerks UConn fans are. I repeat - I have seen some that were, but they were ultimately a small minority.

And in my experience, only a small group of RU fans are. But if you want to believe it of all, feel free.

When and where did you come across an unpleasant Duke fan (in person) ? :eek: I cant imagine a Duke WCBB fan being unpleasant and classy... (in person) . :eek:

I will admit that I was hoping to see some unpleasant RU and UCONN fans during the 2008 regional final .... But sadly... I didnt witness any fistfights, taunting, or anything of that sort.. and left the Coliseum a bit disappointed in that respect. :oops:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
suddenly everyone is sooooo classy... please, * happens geesh!

stop assuming you're at church or a funeral, go to your local high school games and see some of the stuff that the "fans" do... or those little league games

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Remember the live in a state where they charge a toll for you to live and the governor won't let you cross the GWB. There is a lot of misery.
Actually I believe that was crossing the bridge to get into Jersey, so actually he was doing everyone a favor. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I will admit that I was hoping to see some unpleasant RU and UCONN fans during the 2008 regional final .... But sadly... I didnt witness any fistfights, taunting, or anything of that sort.. and left the Coliseum a bit disappointed in that respect. :oops:
You would think they could put on a better show.

Reaction Score
That type attitude starts at the top at RU and when its no longer aloud, then you will see a different type attitude. Good luck traveling to the Big 10 next season....The 2 some what local games in conference next season with be MD and Penn State.....All the rest are all plane rides...The crouds of 3000 this seson will become 1500 next year.....

Reaction Score
NOT
Our seats are right behind the visitor's bench. During the 1st half four women (parents?) in 'Scarlet Red' started the razzing of UConn players on the foul line. No biggie but it caught the attention of the student section - about 20 feet from them. A large group of students just turned & looked at them. At that time one of classy moms just flipped the students the bird.

Same as the coach... never fails to start that full-court press with 2 minutes left and down by 40.

Reaction Score
Oh Pooh, I used to go to Foxboro and watch the Pat.s. Every game covered in beer and thrown food, as well as always being on at least the fringe of a fist fight. Well maybe that was because Steve Grogan brought out the best in us. Rutgers is tame.

Reaction Score
NOT

The mom you are referring to is from Philly and I believe she went to the same charm school as Geno.;) She is actually pretty funny, but from personal observation, I don't think she would take crap from anybody.

I was at the game yesterday and there were some not so classy UConn fans sitting near the RU fan section. Listening to a 60 something man shouting insults at your coach for most of the game is not pleasant, especially as it was done to bait our fans into retaliating (which no one did). I was a bit surprised, as my experience with UConn fans throughout the years has been pretty positive. Truly classy fans are not only gracious losers, but gracious winners.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

You should read the UCONN - Rutgers game thread on the Rutgers board to see how classy those Rutgers fans are - even on the internet

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well lucky for both fanbases that you guys wont have to deal with each other much longer ;)

Reaction Score
The series has to die. Fans are fans, but there is some obvious bad blood. I read the forum and many RU folks are good people, but some are not so good. UConn fans can be pretty sorry as well. Past history with CVS will not fade with many UConn fans any time in the future. We discussed it to death right here on this forum.
Geno's dominance seems to be hard to forgive for many RU faithful. At least CVS seemed to handle the fan abuse ok and even managed to throw us a bone with some off handed complements and deferred to Geno. I kinda thought it was her way of offering an olive branch (kinda). She is kinda classy in her own way.
Last night I watched a huskies team that was off the charts. RU was humiliated. Good for UConn bad for RU. Not UConn's fault, but RU should temper their expectations a bit. Personally I think it's a blessing to be on the court with UConn at all. Not because they are UConn, but because they are just that good. This kind of thing does not come along too many times in anyone's lifetimes.
We are lucky it's us and not (Oh Goodness!) Tennessee. I sure would hate to get smashed by 50 points by Tennessee. I can kinda see how RU may feel, but would never take anything away from the lady huskies. (I'm a husky fan :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom