Class analyzed-Kudos to staff | The Boneyard

Class analyzed-Kudos to staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very good article, wish they would have said that college expansion is far from over and that uconn will most certainly be in a safer conference, but overall very encouraging write up.

Reaction Score
Some good info on there but sloppy article. I mean if the big east keeps its BCS bid? Also he copy and pasted the same snippet about facilities and sending players to the NFL twice? Better than nothing, but come on man.

Reaction Score
Some good info on there but sloppy article. I mean if the big east keeps its BCS bid? Also he copy and pasted the same snippet about facilities and sending players to the NFL twice? Better than nothing, but come on man.

Yeah, I caught that too, but the article was positive about uconn and recruiting, you have to give him that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i find it amazing that u guys read him/hc. do any of u actually pay for that paper also or just read online?

Reaction Score
i find it amazing that u guys read him/hc. do any of u actually pay for that paper also or just read online?
Why? I simply want every tid bit of UConn I can get. Do you have the same sentiments for the New Haven Register? Middletown Press? What other papers should people not be reading?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why? I simply want every tid bit of UConn I can get. Do you have the same sentiments for the New Haven Register? Middletown Press? What other papers should people not be reading?

I dont read any of them daily or even weekly. I will only read something if its linked in a thread here and has something interesting being argued or talked about. I think that most of the writers have no knowledge of what they cover passed a little league/high school level. Almost all of them point out things that are easy eye catchers and only challenge thongs or wuestion substance after fans do so its ok as they wernt first. I have heard better bball game breakdowns of actual substance from posters here than any writer. In fball, its just a joke. Duffy and spb are the only 2 i will even give effort credit 2. The recruiting stuff from everyone is ususlly late or somewhat wrong. They have small time issues like twitter pages not being seperate for the beat and personal or they write like i do here grammar wise. Those are things that hs students with that type of job can easily figure out and do correctly. There is a extremely pompous attitude among the clan and the reason noone points is because theres not another legit school to compare locally. Bc barely get covered. Pc umass and everyone else are mot uconn scale so the clan sees themselves as the biggest and best. Meanwhile in the rest of the country resl writers are breaking down why the wvu 2ndary wad bad and the coach got fired or why next season the houston marketing. In the ad will double in size blah blah.

Every where else they see competitors schools and all they do is keep each other competitive and somewhat credible. Here there is no challenge. Nyc is nyc so the clan has mo worries about ppl leaving a knicks or mets beat job for uconn. Do u think any cincy beat writers are tosu fans? Possible but do they post tosu cheers on there cincy beat feed? Do they have bad grammar? That would be kne hell of a drag out right? The buckeye fan beat writes for cincy but cant write. Yea tosu grads are dumb and so yadayada.

Between beat writers i dont read and recruit dites i dont pAy for, i see a lot of wasted $ and time reading. Bettween whats free out there and what can be found easily i make my due. I post on here a lot. I enjoy talking uconn and hrlping keep ppl informed with my findings. But if i didnt post here and just did my research for my own uconn pleasure i would prob sprnd 20 minutes a day total to get the 5to10 things i do daily to find uconn stuff.

Now what happens if i do that and start my own blog thingy. Consiering what recruit sites get and whst beat writers make, theres a pretty penny in between there somewhere right? I would use word dock and write like my diplomas sat im capable. I would have a serious news feed and so on. So what the heck is that actudlly worth? Could i get media passes and really turn it up and go all out? Prob could in time, or it could ne as simple ad having a blog and writing stuff a couple nights a week. Either way, i would love to know which beat writer could better.

How much are those guys worth? Those papers must be getting a ton of website hits or however that stuff works. How the heck do they pay thst bill basically. I mean i asume a writer makes at least 35k right? Throw in travel and other stuff so the paper is in it 40k. Does a uconn beat writer really make the paper $??? How so? Every one of them has issues and none of them can get a hold of a large % of the fanbase because of that. Maybe im just a kid who should shut up, but where there is smoke for years eventually some one needs to buy a gallon of gas and a lighter.

Honest question. How much would u pay for uconn info and opinions? What info is important u get and whats the substance u would pay for?

One of the issues in this state the first decade of bcs for us was we had nobody who got the big boy culture. We the fans learned and taught it on our own. Tailgating, trips and blue shirts etc etc. the ad was a dam shame. With the hundreds of things i and others complain about one thing quietly stands out as pure gold in all of this. Whats that????

Our beat writers jobs are uconn and whats going on. I have necer seen a total group of people be more oblivious to the culture lacking and issues then this group. Hell its so baf here is a example ghats hard to type without losing my mind. Dez is a cuse fan and he already knows about p and gdl the college saga part 1. U know where im going with that.

How many writers went to the nd, michigan or usce games? Did they atleast watch them on tv? If so either wAy big boy Shot was on display from fanbase and operations standpoints. Im not talking on the field. Those writes should return from those tupes of trips yelli g about xyz and this is what uconn should be diing and heres where we need to go next. No they went and ate and yucked it up. All show no substance. None of them pressured the ad and the ad got away with murder. Now we have what we have today. Ill stop but can go on for days.

Reaction Score
Honest question. How much would u pay for uconn info and opinions? What info is important u get and whats the substance u would pay for?

In depth recruiting news, and team positional breakdowns. Most of that stuff makes its way on to this board for free. I used to pay for Rivals, Scout, and ESPN insider. The only thing I pay for now is Rivals, and that is mostly for routine/tradition purposes. Overall the quality of the recruiting articles on the paysites is terrible.

Reaction Score
Can we get back to the next 4 days?
We need an OT and another OG. And a CB. And a DT.
Boyle and Laray Smith would be nice additions, but I like what we have coming in there.

Reaction Score
I think there are some positive indications regarding the recruiting this staff has done. They seem to be landing some kids they have heavily targeted.

That said, those getting excitied about having a 60th ranked class versys a 80th ranked class......I think you a looking for a disctinction without a difference. These star systems are far from perfect. Let's hope there are some Jordan Todmans, Reggie McClains, Kendal Reyes.....two stars in these classes. The other thing I see is this class is loaded with TEs, DEs and inside LBs which has me scratching my head a bit and by the numbers we need at least one and possibly two more quality OL recruits. We really need a RB in this class to step up right away.

Reaction Score
I think there are some positive indications regarding the recruiting this staff has done. They seem to be landing some kids they have heavily targeted.

That said, those getting excitied about having a 60th ranked class versys a 80th ranked class......I think you a looking for a disctinction without a difference. These star systems are far from perfect. Let's hope there are some Jordan Todmans, Reggie McClains, Kendal Reyes.....two stars in these classes. The other thing I see is this class is loaded with TEs, DEs and inside LBs which has me scratching my head a bit and by the numbers we need at least one and possibly two more quality OL recruits. We really need a RB in this class to step up right away.
I'm not sure we need a RB to step up right away although getting smith would be a plus. We still haven't seen what Joe Williams can do and Josh Marriner seems like a very good RB. But the OLine still is the concern and the place of greatest need. Is Bennett coming back? Are the two red-shirts Levy and Rugg ready to play? Can Mateas and Brockeloh contribute? Samra, Gifford, Paull ready to contribute? Can Clax give us a Sherman-like FB push to spring our RB's? This is a good recruiting class and we certainly did way better with QB's than we have in the past, but whatever else happens WE HAVE TO FIX THE OLINE ISSUES. This pretty much derailed our season because we couldn't run the ball reliably and had to resort to a risky passing game. If we have some degree of stability and strength on the OLine like we often had in past years, we should be able to run some very good offense with the skill players we have. We may be able to finally get some balance in the offense that we have been striving for but not achieving for several years.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we need a RB to step up right away although getting smith would be a plus. We still haven't seen what Joe Williams can do and Josh Marriner seems like a very good RB. But the OLine still is the concern and the place of greatest need. Is Bennett coming back? Are the two red-shirts Levy and Rugg ready to play? Can Mateas and Brockeloh contribute? Samra, Gifford, Paull ready to contribute? Can Clax give us a Sherman-like FB push to spring our RB's? This is a good recruiting class and we certainly did way better with QB's than we have in the past, but whatever else happens WE HAVE TO FIX THE OLINE ISSUES. This pretty much derailed our season because we couldn't run the ball reliably and had to resort to a risky passing game. If we have some degree of stability and strength on the OLine like we often had in past years, we should be able to run some very good offense with the skill players we have. We may be able to finally get some balance in the offense that we have been striving for but not achieving for several years.

THIS!! And it scares me that GDL gets to 100% focus on them.

Reaction Score
We all have seen the GDL OC experiment fail. I'm not certain that it would have been a complete failure if our OLine was not in bad shape last two years, but we don't know for sure. Although I don't have a lot of confidence in him as the OC, I actually think he might do the job as the OLine coach if he and Weist see eye to eye and are on the same page. My biggest problem with these guys was them not evaluating what our players could do well and sticking with plays that didn't work. I feel that Weist will do much better with that and probably the system they run will be more suited to the strengths and weaknesses we have. I'm not saying we should have had a superior offense last year, but someone needed to filter out the stuff that didn't work so they could focus on the stuff that did. If Weist can do a good job at that and GDL can commit to supporting that effort instead of the reverse it might actually work out pretty well. We do have talent and the coaches need to utilize it correctly so they can succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom