Clark Among 14 Invited to April U.S.A. Training Camp | The Boneyard

Clark Among 14 Invited to April U.S.A. Training Camp

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
According to a piece in the Athletic (attached for those with subscriptions), here are the invitees:

Team USA training camp roster​

Reaction Score
Two names that aren't on this list that I would expect to see in Paris: Phee and AT. This means that there should be at least four cuts coming from that list of 14.

Two others who could be in the mix: Allisha Gray and Brionna Jones

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Two names that aren't on this list that I would expect to see in Paris: Phee and AT. This means that there should be at least four cuts coming from that list of 14.

Two others who could be in the mix: Allisha Gray and Brionna Jones
Could the U.S.A. Committee take one or two of the "cuts" and place them on the 3x3 team (need 4 for that)?
Or, are they keeping that totally separate? (I bring up because Gray, Young and Plum were all on the Gold Medal team last time around. Could an Ionescu, for instance, be a 3-bee candidate if not on the 5x5 team?

Reaction Score
Could the U.S.A. Committee take one or two of the "cuts" and place them on the 3x3 team (need 4 for that)?
Or, are they keeping that totally separate? (I bring up because Gray, Young and Plum were all on the Gold Medal team last time around. Could an Ionescu, for instance, be a 3-bee candidate if not on the 5x5 team?
I believe they're separate, but 3x3 can get some of those girls to participate in 3x3 tournaments to accumulate more points for roster consideration.

I hear ya re Ionescu and 3x3, but while she's not my fave, I can acknowledge that she's outperformed one very prominent name on that 14-player list in just about every setting that the two of them have been in together since October 2023.

Reaction Score
According to a piece in the Athletic (attached for those with subscriptions), here are the invitees:

Team USA training camp roster​

Interested in the plan if Clark is playing in the final four that weekend.

Reaction Score
Kahleah Copper will also be in the mix but is overseas during this camp.
I knew I was forgetting someone! Kah's pretty close to being a lock herself. So that's five potential cuts that would need to be made from the initial list of 14.

Reaction Score
Jackie Young has been one of the best guards in the W the past couple of seasons. Especially now that she added a 3 point shot. Plus she's a really solid defender. I hope she can finally secure a spot, but it will be tough.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Napheesa Collier and Moriah Jefferson in the list ..:p

Reactions: mmt

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If you were to go by the comments of the two previous coaches Auriemma (admittedly biased) and Staley (objective in this particular matter), there would be a different college player invited.

Reaction Score
I still don’t understand Atkins being in this mix. I just don’t see what coaches see in her. And that is why I’m not a coach i guess.

Kinda disagree. A lot of the roster is offense first. Someone has to do the dirty work.

Reaction Score
If you were to go by the comments of the two previous coaches Auriemma (admittedly biased) and Staley (objective in this particular matter), there would be a different college player invited.
I'm not even sure she's ready to be a star from Day 1 in the WNBA, let alone play for the national team. Not going to get many Big Ten refs at the next level.

Reaction Score
Kinda disagree. A lot of the roster is offense first. Someone has to do the dirty work.
A'ja, Stewie, Jewell, Jackie, Aliyah, and BG are all well-known two-way players. Shakira is a defensive-minded player. You also have Phee, AT, and Kah--all two-way talents. I agree with those who are puzzled by Ariel's continued inclusion.

Reaction Score
A'ja, Stewie, Jewell, Jackie, Aliyah, and BG are all well-known two-way players. Shakira is a defensive-minded player. You also have Phee, AT, and Kah--all two-way talents. I agree with those who are puzzled by Ariel's continued inclusion.
I believe in the past the US team included certain starting guards that were defensive liabilities. They often needed Atkins on the floor to compensate for them. The level of defense shown in the teams Worlds revealed that that was not the case anymore. That team showed that you could put a really good offensive team on the floor without sacrificing defense.

I still cannot understand why fans do not give Chelsea Gray the credit for playing very good defense that she deserves. I remember before the last Olympic games fans had her as a defensive liability along with Bird, DT and S.Diggens. She has an elite spatial awareness ( good defensive positioning ) very quick feet, very quick hands and that along with length are the necessary defensive tools needed. She also excells in playing off the ball help defense.

I suspect she is underrated because most fans adher to stereotypes and she does not fit tha image. Due to her size the percieve her as slow. They should watch her in the skills compettions where the keep track of time.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I still don’t understand Atkins being in this mix. I just don’t see what coaches see in her. And that is why I’m not a coach i guess.
Agree. When she was first selected, her floor was pretty high and -- with all due respect -- was playing with some pretty darn good players alongside her (hello, EDD). However, have not seen that many steps toward the ceiling in a few years and I'm not sure her current level is U.S.A. Team-level.

Plus, as noted, there are a number of very good two-way players on that list and others who might get calls, from Copper and Loyd to Young and Gray. We'll see....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom