Claflin surprise | The Boneyard

Claflin surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This is so awesome. It's great to see the walkons treated well under this regime. Speaking as someone who walked on to the team under Pasqualoni (and subsequently left the team about 2 months after) I know how it can feel to not be treated well by the coaching staff as a walkon. Good for this young man and hopefully more athletes realize that you can walk on and produce here big time (see Easley, Marcus).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Always good to see something like this happen to a local kid.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
"Claflin Surprise" sounds like something dirty
Oh yeah.. I gave her the old Claflin Surprise man it was wild.

This is great to see for both the player and the program. The player for obvious reasons and the program because it gives more weight to the preferred walk-on offers Diaco has been giving out. A coach that stands by his word is somewhat of a rare commodity in today's game.

Reaction Score
This is so awesome. It's great to see the walkons treated well under this regime. Speaking as someone who walked on to the team under Pasqualoni (and subsequently left the team about 2 months after) I know how it can feel to not be treated well by the coaching staff as a walkon. Good for this young man and hopefully more athletes realize that you can walk on and produce here big time (see Easley, Marcus).
Drew care to share your feelings about Coach P and his trusty side kick George D.....in my opinion Diaco and his staff have done more for CT hs kids than Pasqualoni ever did....actively gives kids a shot to walk-on and earn a scholarship

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Drew care to share your feelings about Coach P and his trusty side kick George D.....in my opinion Diaco and his staff have done more for CT hs kids than Pasqualoni ever did....actively gives kids a shot to walk-on and earn a scholarship

Don't mean to derail the thread at all but I will say that what Diaco was saying last year regarding the team was accurate on almost every account. I walked on in the Fall of 2011. There seemed to be no team unity, people hung out with 2 or 3 other people. Walkons weren't allowed to eat in the facility with the team and the coaching staff was extremely abrasive/disrespectful to us. For the Iowa State game they didn't even let us stand on the sideline/dress for the game. Then at Monday morning's special teams film at 530am P unloaded on Teggart about how he'll never be an NFL kicker if he kicks like he did in the ISU game. I stayed on the team a little while longer and then left after it was apparent they would never give us regular treatment. We essentially were made to feel as though we weren't members of the team. Not that walkons are the superstars of the team but its really good to see Diaco rewarding so many of the hard working players like this.

This is the last I'll comment on this in this thread though. Would like to keep the attention to Claflin and the team. This is his moment. Congrats, kid.

Reaction Score
Great story! You just never know who will end up being a contributor on game day ... might as well use all 105!

Reaction Score
How excited do you think his parents are right now!!?? I bet he ran a 4.3 40 to get to his cell to share the news!! I interview college kids all the time, and very few have any ability to demonstrate work ethic and or the ability to overcome obstacles. Jeremy will not have that problem down the road. I predict the future is bright for this young man once he graduates. Just a great story all around!!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
It's not a real Claflin Surprise unless it's "tingley"

CLAF.jpg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I know the parents and they must be thrilled. It has been a long road for Jeremy and this is the validation. What a great feel good story.

Reaction Score
i went to the season tix holder cookout and this guy with big hair who I didn't recognize comes over to my oldest kid and asks him if he wants to do the bean bag game.

The guy played with my kid for probably 15 minutes. No one was around, it was just my kid and this UConn player I didn't know.

Turns out after watching that video above it was Claflin.

Nice to see good things happen to good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom