Cinci's AD hire help with move to big 12? | The Boneyard

Cinci's AD hire help with move to big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Cinci hired former Colorado AD. Obviously connected to his peers from when Colorado was in big 12. I would think it only helps Cinci with making a move.

Reaction Score
Cinci hired former Colorado AD. Obviously connected to his peers from when Colorado was in big 12. I would think it only helps Cinci with making a move.
Not if TT has a vote after Tommy Tuberville left them at the altar.

Reaction Score
I heard that Texas didn't take too kindly to the ex-Colorado AD, who was responsible for Colorado's move to the PAC.

No Texas support means no Big 12 invite...

Reaction Score

Worked under Jurich @ CSU.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
TomGroeschen5:23pm via TweetDeck
Bohn said league situation is #1 priority: 'I've lived it myself' (while at Colorado.

TomGroeschen5:23pm via TweetDeck
President Ono: Fact that Bohn was AD at 3 programs, connections make UC 'very fortunate' to have him

In an interview with the Associated Press, UConn athletic director Warde Manuel is done trying to get UConn out of a conference and is more focused on winning it.
Here’s Manuel to the AP:
“I’ve been done,” Manuel said. “If my focus is always looking outside this organization and what we’re doing, we’re not going to maintain the success that we’ve had.”
For the full AP story check out: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9452292/ad-says-uconn-huskies-done-chasing-other-conferences

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This guy is a dud - Cincy blew it.

Reaction Score
In an interview with the Associated Press, UConn athletic director Warde Manuel is done trying to get UConn out of a conference and is more focused on winning it.
Here’s Manuel to the AP:
“I’ve been done,” Manuel said. “If my focus is always looking outside this organization and what we’re doing, we’re not going to maintain the success that we’ve had.”
For the full AP story check out: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9452292/ad-says-uconn-huskies-done-chasing-other-conferences

That article's from July 2013. I'm hoping that was just an out-of-frustration-at-the-time type comment. As an AD (working in the best interest of UCONN athletics), he should be able to multitask and work to better both our current athletics and any future conference options.

Reaction Score
That article's from July 2013. I'm hoping that was just an out-of-frustration-at-the-time type comment. As an AD (working in the best interest of UCONN athletics), he should be able to multitask and work to better both our current athletics and any future conference options.

Compare and contrast.

Reaction Score
Compare and contrast.

First hour of job sound bytes are meaningless in the long term.

Think - "This is my dream job." and "We will put up a fence around the state for recruiting" type comment. Say what people want to hear.

Reaction Score
Well, Warde interviewed for the Vtech job. He would be on the first P5 train out of Storrs if that opportunity arose. Getting out of the AACk has never been a public priority for this administration. Or the last administration. This AD might be a lightweight, but they hired him with the clear intention of getting out of this horrendous conference. I have no idea if this guy will help, but at least they stated that's a key part of his job description.

But hey, Tulane and Tulsa are coming soon. So that's pretty awesome

Reaction Score
Well, Warde interviewed for the Vtech job. He would be on the first P5 train out of Storrs if that opportunity arose. Getting out of the AACk has never been a public priority for this administration. Or the last administration. This AD might be a lightweight, but they hired him with the clear intention of getting out of this horrendous conference. I have no idea if this guy will help, but at least they stated that's a key part of his job description.

LOL. Clueless.

Reaction Score

Except Warde didn't interview for the VaTech job.

But hey, way to be a troll.

Reaction Score

Wow. This new Cincinnati AD was announced by the Cincinnati President as hired to help Cincinnati get into another conference. The Cincinnati President basically says that the most striking accomplishment on this guy's resume is having led Colorado into the PAC12.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cincinnati-hires-former-colorado-ad-mike-bohn

I guess that gives us a good idea what President Ono at Cincinnati thinks of the American Athletic Conference. This looks like Louisville all over again to me. Maybe the Big XII will take them.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Cinci is definitely Louisville-Jurich-Hyper-Style vocal about . I think Susan is trying to keep underwraps - she wants to control the message - not look desperate. I really hope she has something up her sleeve. @UConn Insider ?

Reaction Score
Wow. This new Cincinnati AD was announced by the Cincinnati President as hired to help Cincinnati get into another conference. The Cincinnati President basically says that the most striking accomplishment on this guy's resume is having led Colorado into the PAC12.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cincinnati-hires-former-colorado-ad-mike-bohn

I guess that gives us a good idea what President Ono at Cincinnati thinks of the American Athletic Conference. This looks like Louisville all over again to me. Maybe the Big XII will take them.

Nothing wrong with what they are doing. UCONN does not fit with schools in the AAC either. We are just waiting for the right time. I hope our president and AD are actively working to get out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Are you surprised?

These guys were in the best basketball conference in the country and were routinely in the mix for a BCS bowl....and now they're in the American.

I still think the Big 12 f---ed up by not taking West Virginia, Louisville and Cincy in one fell swoop. They're individually stronger than most Big 12 schools and collectively a nice eastern wing.

Last edited:

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I don't think there is any question that he was hired to 1) get UC into a better conference and 2) get UC a new basketball facility.

President Ono is clearly aware of how important conference affiliation is to the university as a whole. UC has developed into a top 25 research institution and getting into the ACC (I don't care for the Big 12) would only help that further.

The ACC is clearly trying to get a pod system set up and they may need more schools to complete it + get a TV network...(at least that is my hope, lol)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's funny how Cincinnati's public lobbying has been met with, mostly, public acceptance. Meanwhile, when UCONN lobbied a few years ago, we were labeled as a bunch of spoiled little brats who hadn't "earned" a spot yet. I can't wait until UCONN gets out of the AAC so I don't have to pay any more attention to this nonsense.

Reaction Score
Except Warde didn't interview for the VaTech job.

But hey, way to be a troll.
Look, neither you nor I know whether or not WM interviewed for this job. Sure he didn't interview face-to-face....but I do believe he has an agent...and did his agent talk about his interest...we will never know...Bu reports went out that he showed interest and I believe as in my opinion that he was interested. UConn is on the outside! Randy Edsall was looking every year, GT, and other opportunities, he got to UM and so many people were surprised, but I wasn't....I was surprised only by the manner in which he left. But certainly my grudges to Randy Edsall ended with the start of PP's second season. So WM is looking and his now toting the party line...Why??? Because this is what he has to sell. Follow the money and opinion will fade and the facts will show themselves. We as fans will have to make the best of UConn's situation. My suggestion be creative! And pick a school in the P5...as a fan, I see our coaches doing this, I see the AD doing this. So why not a fan ---edit sarcasm!!!

Reaction Score
Cinci is definitely Louisville-Jurich-Hyper-Style vocal about . I think Susan is trying to keep underwraps - she wants to control the message - not look desperate. I really hope she has something up her sleeve. @UConn Insider ?

Interesting -- my take was that Jurich wasn't the hyper-vocal AD. Wasn't that the whole premise of not paying as much of an exit fee? Because they "played ball" with the Big East, and kept their intention of leaving under wraps (but stating it only on Conference Calls) and not signing a formal intent to leave document?

Cincy seems desperate. I think Manuel is doing it better by stating outwardly they aren't looking, but knowing full well that realignment positioning is going on in the behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom