Cinci/Ville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cinci/Ville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He'll be kicking himself over that TO call... Not wrong - not right. it's what's in your gut.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He'll be kicking himself over that TO call... Not wrong - not right. it's what's in your gut.

It is the wrong call. Statistically the kicker is about 4% more successful after the 'icing' than without calling a timeout.

It's stupid. It's bush league. You pull that , you deserve to lose.

Not killing the messenger, but this is probably one of the things I hate the most about football.

Reaction Score
It is the wrong call. Statistically the kicker is about 4% more successful after the 'icing' than without calling a timeout.

Not killing the messenger, but this is probably one of the things I hate the most about football.

You're going to break my balls over a 4% margin? Whatever...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I saw that happen in another game a week or two ago, can't remember which one it was...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Haha, the kid said "defer" instead of "defense" at the coin toss.

He's well coached. If you call defense to start a game the other team will get the ball both halves.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Agreed. Just terrible. Thankfully they improved college basketball on the crap
falling out of bounds.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Saw #CINCYvsUL was #2 trending topic in America on Twitter just now.

Nice showing by the Big East.

Edit: "Cincy" and "Cincinnati" were 6 and 7 respectively.

Yet people complain about playing on non-traditional days.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You're going to break my balls over a 4% margin? Whatever...

I specifically said I'm not killing the messenger. I was just making an observation about something I really hate in football.

I'm just saying there's absolutely no sense in doing it and the statistics back it up. It's just flat out stupid and I would love to hear the justification for doing it.

Reaction Score
Saw that - my bad for the snap... And it appears to be somewhere between .03% and 2.4%. In the NFL w/ pros.

"Nick Stamms of STATS, Inc., produced another study that examined every pressure kick (those in the final two minutes of the game) from 1991 to 2005. It showed a 71.7 percent success rate for non-iced kicks versus 72 percent for iced kicks. (Coaches seeing this will say — to borrow a Jim Carrey line — "So you're telling me I've got a chance!")

According to a 2010 report in the Wall Street Journal, from 2000 to 2010 NFL kickers converted 77.3 percent of their field goal attempts in the final two minutes or in overtime when no timeout was called. When a timeout was called, kickers converted 79.7 percent."

I wouldn't have called it just because of the weather... The margin of error for a clean snap was there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But when did the stupid trend of icing
at the last second start - certainly doesn't go back to 1991.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yet people complain about playing on non-traditional days.

Agreed. I love the added exposure. I bet damn near every bar in America had this game on tonight.

The non-traditional days make you the only game in town and ESPN gives you the platform to be seen by everyone in America.

Sort of a side note but maybe I'm being too naive but I don't think the NFL will be playing Thursday Nite's every single week of the season every year in the future either. If they are serious at all about player safety, having these guys on 4 days rest just isn't an option. That leaves another non-traditional night for college football for the Big East to take advantage of.

Reaction Score
But when did the stupid trend of icing
at the last second start - certainly doesn't go back to 1991.

Uncle... Not really that important. If it happens @ UConn game, I'll know in my heart what you two would have called ;) But would would PP do?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Saw that - my bad for the snap... And it appears to be somewhere between .03% and 2.4%. In the NFL w/ pros.

No worries - I probably came off a bit confrontational too. The last second timeout just burns me ass haha. Didn't mean to direct that at you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uncle... Not really that important. If it happens @ UConn game, I'll know in my heart what you two would have called ;) But would would PP do?

I just hate it from an competition standpoint. Go for it on 4th and short - line up and block a kick, etc. I hate the end of basketball games. I'd give college teams 1 time out in the first half and 2 in the second half. The entertainment value would rise immensely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As for PP i was so blind with rage at the Temple game I don't remember if he called time out or not. I feel like they may have as I was walking down the stairs at the snap.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the stats icing anything over fifty makes sense just because of the challenge of the distance. No

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Generally when coaches ice kickers they are making a huge mistake because they allow the kicker to get a practice kick under exact field conditions, from the exact distance and location on the field, with the exact pressure from the crowd. They either make that first kick and build confidence or they miss it and make an adjustment. If you give any athlete two chances to perform the same exact task on consecutive plays, they will be more likely to succeed the second time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I saw that happen in another game a week or two ago, can't remember which one it was...
Dolphins-Jets about a month ago. Dolphins blocked the FG attempt in OT but their coach called a timeout. Jets lined up again and made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom