Chris Clarke (Committed to Virginia Tech) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Chris Clarke (Committed to Virginia Tech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
For the record, I think someone used the term 'tethered' to mean 'related'. ie. One of them commits to one place then the other will commit somewhere else, but when one commits, it makes a difference for the other. It was probably just a bad choice of term.

And also for the record, we just got a new crystal ball prediction for Clark from Jeff Ermann, whoever he is, a few hours ago. VTech got one earlier in the day from Tyler Mounce. Mounce has a better rank (I think derived from correct picks weighted for the length of time they had the pick).

Ermann also recently predicted Mack to UConn so he may be confused by the tethered term as well.

I think we get one of them and I really don't care which one. Stone and Mack, Stone and Clark - it's all good.

Reaction Score
I have to think a kid as confident and talented as Mack isn't going to sit on a situation like that. I'd doubt he wants to go to VCU so badly that he waits out some other kid's recruitment.

I agree with you. But the "hold off" idea was that KO reallys want Clarke and wants Mack to wait until we know what's going on. Not to wait off on committing to VCU. Just stating what the VCU people are convinced of. Maybe there's a grain of truth there or maybe they are as delusional as we all think. They did state that if Mack wants to go to a true "winner" then VCU is the only sensible choice totally discounting, you know, that we are the defending national champions while they got destroyed by Stephen F. Austin. I liked that one.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
I agree with you. Just stating what the VCU people are convinced of. Maybe there's a grain of truth there or maybe they are as delusional as we all think. They did state that if Mack wants to go to a true "winner" then VCU is the only sensible choice totally discounting, you know, that we are the defending national champions while they got destroyed by Stephen F. Austin. I liked that one.

Wasn't that the game with the 4-point play to force overtime? I guess that would be emotionally destroying at least.

KO was once in this sort of a thing with Travis Best, but we went with the "first to commit" route and KO jumped on it. As a result, I'd have a hard time picturing KO making someone wait who wanted to come. I could, however, see Mack on the verge of eliminating us and KO asking him to wait and see what Clarke does so Mack could re-evaluate where he fits in our plans. And the double visit this week may be to lay those plans out a little more in depth.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that the game with the 4-point play to force overtime? I guess that would be emotionally destroying at least.

KO was once in this sort of a thing with Travis Best, but we went with the "first to commit" route and KO jumped on it. As a result, I'd have a hard time picturing KO making someone wait who wanted to come. I could, however, see Mack on the verge of eliminating us and KO asking him to wait and see what Clarke does so Mack could re-evaluate where he fits in our plans. And the double visit this week may be to lay those plans out a little more in depth.

You're right on the SFA game... I was thinking of the previous year when Michigan took them behind the woodshed.

And the scenario you laid out makes perfect sense. I'm assuming we're out with Clarke as why would we be double teaming Mack this week?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
UCONN prediction for Clarke from Jeff Ermann
. I hope not. Save the scholarship. Love the kids motor but he's a 6'4 small forward who struggles shooting the ball. Not particularly a need for us.

Reaction Score
And the scenario you laid out makes perfect sense. I'm assuming we're out with Clarke as why would we be double teaming Mack this week?

Maybe we'd take both. They seem to be different types of player. Plus if you anticipate DHam being 1 or 2 and done we definitely have plenty of room for 2 6'5"-ish sophomore swingmen in 2016-17.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
. I hope not. Save the scholarship. Love the kids motor but he's a 6'4 small forward who struggles shooting the ball. Not particularly a need for us.

How can you hope we don't get a really good recruit with really good upside? I don't get it. It's not like we are Kentucky and just sit on a bunch of top 15 guys. You have no idea how this kid could turn out.

If we took this route, we wouldn't have taken guys like Okafor and Brimah. Yes I know they are bigs.

Reaction Score

Ridiculous...

First of all, I've never seen him listed at 6-4.

Secondly, I've seen videos where he looks like a decent shooter. When Roscoe Smith committed an article read that, ""Roscoe is a great 3-point shooter with tremendous range and accuracy," he said. "When UConn spreads the floor he'll have an opportunity to shoot the 3." (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4809450) so take whatever some recruiting expert says with a grain of salt and trust in KO. After seeing 3 years of Roscoe nobody in the universe would describe him as a great 3 point shooter. Yet that was what we were led to believe during his recruitment.

Thirdly, Clarke's generally ranked among the top 40-60 players in the country. You do not turn down talent like that.

Reaction Score
Not your best effort, Clarke is a great prospect and we would be lucky to have him. He has one of the best motors in the class, great athleticism and could be a lockdown defender right away.....there is seriously nothing to not like about his game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this board have a massive crush on Clarke a month or so ago, before Mack came along? And Jones before Clarke? It's more than fair to favor certain kids based on how well we anticipate them fitting the system, but sheesh the amount of fixation I've seen on whichever kid is the board's "Flavor of the Month" is a bit much.

caw

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this board have a massive crush on Clarke a month or so ago, before Mack came along? And Jones before Clarke? It's more than fair to favor certain kids based on how well we anticipate them fitting the system, but sheesh the amount of fixation I've seen on whichever kid is the board's "Flavor of the Month" is a bit much.

Or people have different preferences. I still prefer Clarke slightly but I'd take Mack or Jones if they said yes first. Homestly, UConn has two of the three recruits I have on my personal wish list in Adams and Enoch. Stone is the third. After that give me any one of Briscoe, Mack, Clarke or Jones with a slight preference for Clarke. However if Mack is Ollie's preference and he wants to commit this week, I'm on board. Any of the four could do well at UConn.

Reaction Score

No, you're definitely correct, and the depths people on this board people will go to project what little information they have on a kid always amuses me. That isn't to say their opinions are meaningless, because there are a lot of smart posters here that really do follow this stuff closely, but for the most part, none of us have the faintest of clues which of the three will turn out to be the better player.

Reaction Score
To look at any of the 3 via the internet and come up with "no particular need" for any of them is ridiculous. I mean we do laugh at times as the recruiting guru's rate these kids but when all of them are Top 60 players in the country pretty much unanimously, I'm guessing we'd be happy having any one of them sign on the dotted line.

Reaction Score
Cutting through all the talk what are the chances he picks u conn ? I know unless someone has inside information we are all guessing but my crystal ball said ------------. No idea.

Reaction Score
Cutting through all the talk what are the chances he picks u conn ? I know unless someone has inside information we are all guessing but my crystal ball said ------------. No idea.
Personally, I think we're going to miss out on any wing who decides to commit in the fall because I think guys look at our roster and see a lack of immediate playing time.

Reaction Score
Or people have different preferences. I still prefer Clarke slightly but I'd take Mack or Jones if they said yes first. Homestly, UConn has two of the three recruits I have on my personal wish list in Adams and Enoch. Stone is the third. After that give me any one of Briscoe, Mack, Clarke or Jones with a slight preference for Clarke. However if Mack is Ollie's preference and he wants to commit this week, I'm on board. Any of the four could do well at UConn.
I agree with this completely, except I have a slight preference for Mack. I'd be very happy with Jones or Clarke. Mostly I really, really, really want Stone.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think we're going to miss out on any wing who decides to commit in the fall because I think guys look at our roster and see a lack of immediate playing time.

Except, in Mack's case, we have as much playing time at the 2/3 as VCU. Look at VCU's roster.

UConn has Hamilton and Purvis at the 2/3, and one of those may be gone before the recruits step on campus, and both could be gone after the recruit's freshman year.

Meanwhile, VCU has Terry Larrier and Kenny Williams at those spots.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Mack chooses VCU and Clarke chooses us. The latter, pleasantly of course!

Reaction Score
Except, in Mack's case, we have as much playing time at the 2/3 as VCU. Look at VCU's roster.
UConn has Hamilton and Purvis at the 2/3, and one of those may be gone before the recruits step on campus, and both could be gone after the recruit's freshman year.
Meanwhile, VCU has Terry Larrier and Kenny Williams at those spots.
We played Samuel at the 2/3 last year so I'm counting him. Cassell Jr. has the size to do the same. Jalen Adams will play some at the 2 for sure. And while one or both of Purvis/Hamilton may be gone, it's pretty easy to see scenarios where they are both still around.

Reaction Score
We played Samuel at the 2/3 last year so I'm counting him. Cassell Jr. has the size to do the same. Jalen Adams will play some at the 2 for sure. And while one or both of Purvis/Hamilton may be gone, it's pretty easy to see scenarios where they are both still around.

I know our PGs can play the 2. But regardless, Clarke and Mack are not going to be competing with guys who can play the 1. You're going to have Hamilton or a SF/2 type out there at all times.

Williams and Larrier at VCU are actually pretty good players.

Reaction Score
Sorry, the link won't work just go to 247sports.com /Basketball recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member