Chief's Briefs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Reaction Score
No offense, but I don't think citing Enoch being able to smoothly run between the two ends of a basketball court as signs of big man development. It's more about what he's doing once he gets near the basket that I'm worried about

Do you have eyes?

Watch Enoch hands and feet ... he is getting better thinking things through AND he has always had exceptionally quick hands for a big guy. Do not get smug. Enoch still has a great way to go ... however, he has some natural tools that we don't see in most other kids that have gone through UConn in the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
What's the hump? Adding Hami means we may finish over .500 and have the longest of long shots to win the conference tournament, and that's about it. There just isn't enough other talent on the team as it currently stands. Adams is the only legitimate NBA prospect. Our frontcourt is two projects who haven't panned out yet (or at all) and a highly rated freshman with two bad knees who plays scared. Vital and Jackson aren't bad players, but Vital didn't crack the top 100 recruits for a reason and Jackson is a confidence player with zero confidence. Rodney is a great kid but a historic bust. In what way would Hami get us over the hump?
w
What's the hump? Adding Hami means we may finish over .500 and have the longest of long shots to win the conference tournament, and that's about it. There just isn't enough other talent on the team as it currently stands. Adams is the only legitimate NBA prospect. Our frontcourt is two projects who haven't panned out yet (or at all) and a highly rated freshman with two bad knees who plays scared. Vital and Jackson aren't bad players, but Vital didn't crack the top 100 recruits for a reason and Jackson is a confidence player with zero confidence. Rodney is a great kid but a historic bust. In what way would Hami get us over the hump?
We've got a few humps to get over.

Reaction Score
Do you have eyes?

Watch Enoch hands and feet ... he is getting better thinking things through AND he has always had exceptionally quick hands for a big guy. Do not get smug. Enoch still has a great way to go ... however, he has some natural tools that we don't see in most other kids that have gone through UConn in the last 20 years.

Asking if I have eyes and then imploring me not to get smug is kind of hypocritical and not really necessary to the discussion. I do have eyes, by the way, and I see Enoch as a guy who has some natural physical tools but uses them intelligently only a few times a game. He's still lost on D and he lacks the confidence on offense to truly utilize his gifts. I won't speak for you, but I think this board overrates Enoch because he's a local kid, he looks the part of a dominant big man, and the rest of our frontcourt is so bad, but, though he's young for his age, he didn't quite make the leap between freshman and sophomore years that I thought he'd make, especially with his international experience

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We have enough to win some of these games but right now we just don't do much of anything right. Our players can't make plays, our coaches can't coach us over the hump, the refs do us no favors. Why do I hold out hope we can put together a run in our conference tournament?

We got 10 weeks

pj

Reaction Score

The perimeter is hugely improved. With Jalen and Hami you have two key pieces, excellent PG and excellent scorer. Rodney can be more sparing in his shot taking and contribute defense. CV moves to spot minutes.

Then Brimah and Facey make a decent frontcourt. Brimah is a defensive stopper who was able to win a championship. Facey has progressed and can play a role. With luck Enoch, Durham, and Vance step up by the tourney to add some depth.

I'm not saying it's a great team, but it's competitive in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Steve has replaced AO as the best poser evert to don a UConn uniform imo. Maybe it's the camera angle but it appears to me that he moves out to the player who is shooting about 2 seconds after that player shoots. I don't think anyone in college bb has a more beautiful statue of liberty pose than Steve.

And anyone who doesn't think the coaches develop the bigs has missed the development of Steve getting back from the offensive basket to the defensive basket. He had the giddy up hitch we all saw from Alex last year but that's gone now and he hustles really well back to defend. Alex never got rid of the giddy up. Now if they can only get his reflexes to move quicker on defensive plays, next year could be an upgrade.

You're comparing Enoch to a guy who made a Final Four all tournament team? Seriously, wtf is the matter with you. AO as a sophomore was 26,000 times as good as Enoch, whatever you think his faults were.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The problem with this team, besides the lack of depth, is that they are inconsistent, prone to regress to bad habits and lack the confidence to believe in themselves. The last is harder to prove, but it seems to me this team just finds ways to lose, and those ways are different game to game

Sadly. that is the best summary I have seen this year and I think we all are hoping for it to somehow end. When the seniors fail to show any consistent leadership by example it is harder for the younger players to "get it" and their is always breakdowns. At a certain point they have to "impose their will" against opponents. They have to believe they are capable of doing this, especially as a team that picks each other up. Belief and will go hand in hand. I'm not sure if it's me but I don't remember players in the past reacting against every single call that a ref makes when it doesn't go their way. Sometimes on a really bad call, yes. But the looks of disbelief. sarcastic smiles etc. on nearly every call that goes against Purvis or Brimah for example kind of puts the game into the officials hands instead of focusing on their own mistakes and not letting it get to you. Strength of will comes from within, not what is going your way outside of you. I don't want to pick on RP or AB because I think they bleeds blue but so many of the upper classmen lack that calm but sure confidence.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're comparing Enoch to a guy who made a Final Four all tournament team? Seriously, wtf is the matter with you. AO as a sophomore was 26,000 times as good as Enoch, whatever you think his faults were.
Did you really take that post as serious. WTF is the matter with you.;)

Reaction Score
Did you really take that post as serious. WTF is the matter with you.;)

Because we have posters who think AO is the damn antichrist for God's sake. And I don't keep a scorecard at work about which poster is constantly absurd about what issues.

Seriously -- if someone doesn't get sarcasm it's on the reader, not the poster. And I say that when people miss my sarcasm.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Because we have posters who think AO is the damn antichrist for God's sake. And I don't keep a scorecard at work about which poster is constantly absurd about what issues.

Seriously -- if someone doesn't get sarcasm it's on the reader, not the poster. And I say that when people miss my sarcasm.
It's all good. My sarcasm is sometimes mixed with some relative truth. I don't think AO was as good as some pointed out or as bad as others made him to be. But he was an important cog that resulted in a championship.

I thought the post you commented on was so over the top even those who don't keep scorecards would recognize it as such. I also recognize that on a good day we look at things differently than when we have a bad day. I was having a good day. I like Steve. He's young and talented on the offensive end. I hope he can develop on the defensive end. UConn will need him next season.

Reaction Score

He may very well be the Anti Christ but who would take Steve over him as soph's? C'mon fleudy doesn't drink enough to make a serious statement like that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He may very well be the Anti Christ but who would take Steve over him as soph's? C'mon fleudy doesn't drink enough to make a serious statement like that.
Not true about the drinking part. Although I don't need my feet to keep track of the number of times. :) I guess when it comes to super imbibing I can't claim to have ten toes in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Coach Miller has been working with AB on foul shooting. I don't know what to tell you - it is what it is.

Why do you lie about knowing what goes on during practices?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Coach Miller has been working with AB on foul shooting. I don't know what to tell you - it is what it is.

Even if this were true, you are asserting that Brimah's changed form (and poor performance) at the FT line is attributable to Miller, without recognizing that Miller could be trying to help Brimah return to form (literally and figuratively).

I've blamed the coaching staff for Brimah's nosedive at the line, but I don't believe for one second that they told him to do what he's doing, unless he has some lingering physical issue that is preventing him from shooting with both hands.

C

Chief00

Even if this were true, you are asserting that Brimah's changed form (and poor performance) at the FT line is attributable to Miller, without recognizing that Miller could be trying to help Brimah return to form (literally and figuratively).

I've blamed the coaching staff for Brimah's nosedive at the line, but I don't believe for one second that they told him to do what he's doing, unless he has some lingering physical issue that is preventing him from shooting with both hands.

It is true that Miller coaches his FTs. I never said they told him to short arm shots and skip various progressions at line or to use this new crazy form. Just said who was coaching him. People don't read accurately and make ridiculous charges.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It is true that Miller coaches his FTs. I never said they told him to short arm shots and skip various progressions at line or to use this new crazy form. Just said who was coaching him. People don't read accurately and make ridiculous charges.

Question by ucp990411: "Why in the world did Brimah change his form on shooting free throws? Can someone answer that question?"

Answer by you: "Glen Miller has been working with him."

I'm a litigator. If I were to put you on the stand and you were to deny accusing Miller of being responsible for AB's poor FT form, I'd impeach you with your quoted statement. You'd be toast.

C

Chief00

Question by ucp990411: "Why in the world did Brimah change his form on shooting free throws? Can someone answer that question?"

Answer by you: "Glen Miller has been working with him."

I'm a litigator. If I were to put you on the stand and you were to deny accusing Miller of being responsible for AB's poor FT form, I'd impeach you with your quoted statement. You'd be toast.

Quite frankly, I don't care who you are. Glen Miller has been working on his foul shooting with him - why don't you call him to the stand and ask him? Obviously, the results are not what he was hoping for but it doesn't change that truth of who has been working with him.
Chief00 set the record straight.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I don't care who you are. Glen Miller has been working on his foul shooting with him - why don't you call him to the stand and ask him? Obviously, the results are not what he was hoping for but it doesn't change that truth.

I'll move to strike as nonresponsive.

Reaction Score
You just don't like the answer - because it's reality.

Again, I have to wonder if there are people in your life that you can actually communicate with. It seems unlikely. You're comic relief and I'm glad you post inanity like your "2-3 zone and recruiting" thing but it's also a little bit sad to watch.

C

Chief00

Again, I have to wonder if there are people in your life that you can actually communicate with. It seems unlikely. You're comic relief and I'm glad you post inanity like your "2-3 zone and recruiting" thing but it's also a little bit sad to watch.
I continue to think some posters here understand the culture Calhoun built and how he put teams together, however not everyone. Calhoun had a sense of urgency but he took the long view on principle and wouldn't compromise. Man to man in the half court, take a guy out in the first half with 2 fouls and use a quick hook early in the season to get the players attention. He also had a tested formula for what he was looking for in putting together a team. I know KO has some of these same principles; but they are held less so by certain others on his staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom