Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
CtABNKpUsAAnpx6.jpg

Charli is one of the Top Players in 2018 and from Texas: charli-collier

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This picture is proof positive that being a college coach is now a full time 12 month a year job. You cannot rest on your laurels. Everyday you're on the recruiting trail. Personal contacts and visits have proven to be the best way to let a potential recruit know that you are interested in them.

Collier, a 6'4" Post - Barbers Hill HS, Texas (rated #1 in the 2018 class by Prospect Nation) ), has no less than 30 + division programs vying for a commitment. Make no mistake about it. She IS a coveted BIG. You can imagine the amount of contact and recruiting mail she receives on a DAILY basis.

She would be a great addition to the UConn program. When it comes down to player recruitment, when you snooze, you lose. :confused:

Reaction Score
This picture is proof positive that being a college coach is now a full time 12 month a year job. You cannot rest on your laurels. Everyday you're on the recruiting trail. Personal contacts and visits have proven to be the best way to let a potential recruit know that you are interested in them.

Collier, a 6'4" Post - Barbers Hill HS, Texas (rated #1 in the 2018 class by Prospect Nation) ), has no less than 30 + division programs vying for a commitment. Make no mistake about it. She IS a coveted BIG. You can imagine the amount of contact and recruiting mail she receives on a DAILY basis.

She would be a great addition to the UConn program. When it comes down to player recruitment, when you snooze, you lose. :confused:
No kidding that Geno is always on the go. It's amazing really to think how little time out of the year he actually spends on campus. The good news here is that coach shows no sign of slowing down even with such a hectic schedule.

Reaction Score
Watching the amazing NFL game last night in which the Pats took apart the Texans and listening to the announcers saying that they were at the Pats' practice, and Bill Belichick is just as enthusiastic and energetic as ever, it's easy to see the comparison to Geno, who still seems to be loving every part of it, and obviously believes that he will coach the entering class of '18 through its graduation 4 years later.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno just happened to have this article with him:

Associated Press announces WNBA awards for 2016 season

Or maybe this article and photo:

UConn Basketball Powerhouse a Presence in Rio - UConn Today

As fans and boosters of the UConn women's basketball program, we (UConn Nation) have a tendency to constantly beat the drum, yell and scream the rallying cry, and sing Geno's praises without fatigue.
In reality, Geno does not need our help or praises. His incomparable record speaks for itself. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Potential recruits don't have to listen to us constantly hail Caesar. They don't have to read the newspaper, or watch Sports Center to see how UConn is doing.

They don't have to wonder who is the dominant program in WCBB is at the moment. A brief glace at the current national standings will tell them that. If they are mature enough to understand what it means to represent YOUR country in the world Olympic games, an understand and apprieciate the skill level and dedication it takes to be chosen as one of the twelve team members. Then this picture will tell them all they need to know about Geno and his program at UConn. No words need be spoken. Take heed you young would-be recruits. The eyes do not lie!!

A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Charli is one of the Top Players in 2018 and from Texas: charli-collier

Noticing the trophies on top of and in case behind them, I'll wager that the Collier home is full of trophies, ribbons, plaques and awards received/won by Charli over the last few years.

Reaction Score
Watching the amazing NFL game last night in which the Pats took apart the Texans and listening to the announcers saying that they were at the Pats' practice, and Bill Belichick is just as enthusiastic and energetic as ever, it's easy to see the comparison to Geno, who still seems to be loving every part of it, and obviously believes that he will coach the entering class of '18 through its graduation 4 years later.....

Leave it to bags to find a rainbow in every sky. It may be just wishful thinking that Geno will be around forever, but the need to leave the program in the best possible shape necessitates his remaining active in the recruiting process. I wonder what will happen when some kids he recruits find out that the Savior of Storrs is retiring when they show up as freshmen. Reality intrudes.

Reaction Score
I believe Geno is honest and will inform the recruit as his integrity is more important to him

Carnac

Reaction Score
As a reminder, Charli's father passed away this year. Hopefully, she will see the family atmosphere at UConn with the Godfather et al.

As I looked at this picture of Collier, Marissa and Geno, I reflected on you mentioning that she lost her father this year. The observation you made is very real. A warm and supportive family atmosphere will no doubt play a large part in choosing where she commits. It drove home the idea that during these home visits and other personal contacts (campus visits), it's crucial that the assistants form a strong personal bond with the recruit.
They
are they ones that the players interact with most on a daily basis. They are the ones the players go when any type of personal problems or issues arise.

In some programs, it's possible that the players are requested go directly to one of the assistants first. If they cannot handle the situation, then one of them goes to the head coach, who at that time may not be on campus, or may be tied up with administrative duties/commitments or meetings. Most coaches have "an open door " policy with their players, but still encourage the players to contact one of the assistants first to see if perhaps they can resolve the problem/concern. Head coaches do not wet-nurse the players when emotional/physical boo-boos arise, the assistants do. :oops:

Marissa is to collier: the same ethnicity (which may or may not mean anything), closer to her own age than Geno, CD or Shea. She also played center/post in college. She's been where Collier is going.
She understands and has experienced everything that she will be going through. Marissa would also be her position coach. We all know assistants do the bulk of personal contacts with recruits (phone calls, twitter messages, instagrams, e-mails, letters, etc.)

Campus buildings, facilities, presidents and teachers don't recruit players, the coaches do. Campus location (winter weather/distance from home), amenities and desired curriculum availability (Major) of course play a large part in the recruitment process, and of course the current roster depth at her position, that is huge. As you know, when a player decides to commit to a particular program, it's to the coaches and players. The overall campus atmosphere may play a part, but is seldom the ultimate deciding factor.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I know I am swimming upstream with this comment but Geno looks tired to me. I wish Geno would let the assistants recruit for a bit and give himself time to fully recharge his battery post Olympics.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I know I am swimming upstream with this comment but Geno looks tired to me. I wish Geno would let the assistants recruit for a bit and give himself time to fully recharge his battery post Olympics.

Visits to Megan, Christyn and Charli are what recharges Geno's batteries!.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom