Chargers to LA | The Boneyard

Chargers to LA

Reaction Score
Chargers went from having one of the coolest logos to the worst.
c1-653wukaals-f.jpg

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty crazy that part of their solution is to play in a 30k MLS stadium for 2 seasons while the LA stadium is completed. The idea that UConn football could outdraw (I know, I know, the team needs to play better, people need to buy tickets and show up, etc) a sold out NFL game is hard to believe.

Reaction Score
San Diego Aztecs football fanbase just grew in size.

The XFL lives on in that logo.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My cousins are from San Diego and I was talking to them about this possible move. One cousin lives in LA now and said it would never draw well as most LA fans hate the Chargers. They are either Raider or Rams fans or they just don't care about football.

I think this move will blow up in the Chargers's ownerships face. Then again, when do owners give a crap whether fans come or not. They just care about their bottom dollar. Sad

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
My cousins are from San Diego and I was talking to them about this possible move. One cousin lives in LA now and said it would never draw well as most LA fans hate the Chargers. They are either Raider or Rams fans or they just don't care about football.

I think this move will blow up in the Chargers's ownerships face. Then again, when do owners give a crap whether fans come or not. They just care about their bottom dollar. Sad

about 1/3 of charger fans are in orange county. They'll still go. Hardcore from SD will go. They just need to pick up a sliver of the LA market

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
about 1/3 of charger fans are in orange county. They'll still go. Hardcore from SD will go. They just need to pick up a sliver of the LA market
Anytime the Raiders played in San Diego it was a home game easily. In LA RaiderNation is ten times the size. Very little love for the Chargers in LA bro, rebranding best option

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I know they're two different cities, obviously I'm not local (so I don't exactly know the relationship between LA and San Diego residents) and if my team moved I'd be incredibly upset, but LA is essentially right up the road from San Diego and the team is still accessible to fans. I mean it could be worse, just ask the people in St Louis (or Oakland). Playing at the Galaxy's field is laughable though.

Reaction Score
As a long time Rams fan, I hate this. I don't believe Chargers will ever threaten us as fair as being the better sports franchise but it does take away from full advantage of being in LA alone

Reaction Score
Sad. Old time franchise with some true NFL greats. The NFL slowly but surely is screwing itself. They talk a great game about the fans but really don't give a hoot. Pigs ultimately get slaughtered and the tide is already turning with shrinking viewership.

Reaction Score
Remember when LA had two football teams in the 80's and early 90's? How'd that all work out? With a city the size of LA the fandom should be there, especially for the almighty NFL. That said it just doesn't seem to be a city that cares about supporting 2 franchises. Its a Lakers and Dodgers Town. Get ready for media blackouts and handsome tarps in the upper decks.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Anytime the Raiders played in San Diego it was a home game easily. In LA RaiderNation is ten times the size. Very little love for the Chargers in LA bro, rebranding best option

Like a home game if you mean the Raider fan represented like the empty chairs in LA.

If you mean, the a majority of the bouchedags were Raider fans, you have a point.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I know they're two different cities, obviously I'm not local (so I don't exactly know the relationship between LA and San Diego residents) and if my team moved I'd be incredibly upset, but LA is essentially right up the road from San Diego and the team is still accessible to fans. I mean it could be worse, just ask the people in St Louis (or Oakland). Playing at the Galaxy's field is laughable though.

Yeah, and the Socal highways are terrific. This is a Sunday:

842866223_99e9aca874_o.0.0.jpeg

Reaction Score
Raiders should go to Newberry Springs. That would be awesome. Place looks like Tatooine of Star Wars.

But yes, they're gone to Vegas.

Reaction Score
So now we'll have a team in Las Vegas--and none in Oakland or San Diego. Oakland can blame the Raider's moving out on being, well, Oakland; a place Gertrude Stein described as "there's no there, there". As for San Diego, they can blame themselves. The city fathers (and mothers) refused to finance a big new stadium and the Chargers called their bluff. Say what you will about civic financial priorities and the like but once a city loses its NFL franchise (or can't get one--like Portland) it becomes diminished.

Reaction Score
Doesn't this also mean...

las-vegas-raiders-foo-rotz1jpg-cb2240d06fc9bd64.jpg

Probably. Owners only care about $$$$$$ from new stadiums & club suites/luxury boxes revenue.

The Raiders seem to have had enough of a national presence for decades that another move wouldn't hurt them or deter fan support. Can't really say the same for the Chargers. Although I hope they don't rebrand to some new "generic" team. NFL banks on its history, and the Chargers have been around since 1960. Oilers are already gone. They had a history. At least keep the nickname.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom