Chances that season ticket count will be above 30,000? | The Boneyard

Chances that season ticket count will be above 30,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In spite of certain negative forces out there, and going by the home slate this year, I really think UConn can get above 30k for season tickets. If you look at the correlation between a perceived successful season and the strength of the home schedule, it looks like a quality schedule stands pretty firmly with "success".

With Maryland, Michigan, Louisville and Rutgers all scheduled to come, if UConn can't market this, then it will be difficult once the full home slate of the AAC kicks in. I know the tix renewal end in a couple of weeks. Hopefully if the numbers are strong in the meantime the UCONN SID can start sending out the positive #'s, and really ramp up demand with the hype that a schedule like this deserves. We normally don't hear official numbers until the middle of summer, but if someone is smart, they'd let the world know that a UCONN ticket is a hot commodity.

2002 11,300 (Memorial Stadium)
2003 24,000
2004 28,000
2005 32,000 Buffalo, Liberty, Syracuse, Rutgers, USF, Louisville
2006 30,000 URI, Wake Forest, Navy, Army, WVU, Pitt, Cincy
2007 26,000 Maine, Temple, Akron, Louisville, USF, Rutgers, Syracuse
2008 28,000 Hofstra, UVA, Baylor, Cincy, WVU, Pitt
2009 25,000 UNC, URI, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse, USF
2010 25,500 Texas Southern, Buffalo, Vandy, WVU, Pitt, Cincy
2011 25,000 Fordham, Iowa State, WMU, USF, Louisville, Rutgers
2012 23,000 UMass, NC State, Buffalo, Temple, Pitt, Cincy

Reaction Score
Nice chart, we have our 16 seats again since the beginning. Lets hope we put a watchable product on the field. I know the kids/players are up for it now if only the coaches make it happen.

Reaction Score
I don't think the question is whether or not we will sell 30 thousand season tix, pretty sure we'll get there thanks to the Mich faithful. The real question is whether we will have 30 thousand fans in the stands for the South Florida game through the Memphis game. That, I don't have as much confidence in.

Reaction Score
If we do not fill our 25,00 seat stadium at least half the time we are going nowhere friends.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
In spite of certain negative forces out there, and going by the home slate this year, I really think UConn can get above 30k for season tickets. If you look at the correlation between a perceived successful season and the strength of the home schedule, it looks like a quality schedule stands pretty firmly with "success".

With Maryland, Michigan, Louisville and Rutgers all scheduled to come, if UConn can't market this, then it will be difficult once the full home slate of the AAC kicks in. I know the tix renewal end in a couple of weeks. Hopefully if the numbers are strong in the meantime the UCONN SID can start sending out the positive #'s, and really ramp up demand with the hype that a schedule like this deserves. We normally don't hear official numbers until the middle of summer, but if someone is smart, they'd let the world know that a UCONN ticket is a hot commodity.

2003 24,000
2004 28,000

I think that the attendance is a direct result of two factors - 1- How is the tesm playing (wins - losses) - and 2- Quality of the teams on the home schedule - I think that the chart reflects those two factors very well. (and by quality of the teams - I mean the perception of the teams - not necessarily their actual performance)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That chart has a very strong correlation to the economy as well. 2005 was also the 3rd year of the first 3-year cycle - so you had all the original 3-year participants who jumped on tickets as well as new buyers. When 2006 hit, some of the original crew decided that outdoor games weren't so comfy or they didn't need as many tickets. My impression has been that the number of "extras" groups have bought has gone down since the early years. That will probably rise a little this season due to the quality of the schedule - I know our group has a few more tickets this year and the report from the ticket office was positive. We also used to have "sellouts" with lots of empty seats - the stadium has filled in better since the early days. I had thought our attendance was similar to the national trend due to HDTV etc, but the article below shows that college/NFL attendance has been relatively stable over the past several years. http://winthropintelligence.com/2012/12/31/football-attendance-comparing-the-nfl-and-ncaa/
http://winthropintelligence.com/2012/12/31/football-attendance-comparing-the-nfl-and-ncaa/

Reaction Score
It can be tough. I buy 4 for the fam but usually only come with 2. I can afford it but people that have kids that have activities are bound to waste some money. Can't be in two places at once and can't plan around it either.

That chart doesn't paint as dire a picture as the mood of some of our BYers.

Reaction Score
The gradual decline is not influenced by wins and loses. You guys are missing the big picture. People who once supported all UCONN sports and had money gradually moved away. In 5 years I will do the same. Look at the empty seats for basketball - 10 years ago that would have never happened. Alums are not staying around. High paying jobs are not here - so alum are not here (or not as many).

UCONN has never done anything to overcome this malaise. It is tied in with the economic malaise of the state. Kids are moving to Austin or New York or Charleston and not coming back to East Hartford. Would you?

We have had 10 years of graduating classes since D1 began. I would have thought that kids would migrate back and at this point would have replaced us old fogies who are gradually migrating south. We never captured that market. I think that the hotel complex on site would be the best step in hosting alums to come to games and stay for the weekend.

Despite the schedule and even if the team is markedly better, we have peaked in interest here. The numbers are in front of us. Can we sell out 50% of the games with the best schedule ever? I hope so.

It survives on Alum participation and so far that has not happened.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The gradual decline is not influenced by wins and loses. You guys are missing the big picture. People who once supported all UCONN sports and had money gradually moved away. In 5 years I will do the same. Look at the empty seats for basketball - 10 years ago that would have never happened. Alums are not staying around. High paying jobs are not here - so alum are not here (or not as many).

UCONN has never done anything to overcome this malaise. It is tied in with the economic malaise of the state. Kids are moving to Austin or New York or Charleston and not coming back to East Hartford. Would you?

We have had 10 years of graduating classes since D1 began. I would have thought that kids would migrate back and at this point would have replaced us old fogies who are gradually migrating south. We never captured that market. I think that the hotel complex on site would be the best step in hosting alums to come to games and stay for the weekend.

Despite the schedule and even if the team is markedly better, we have peaked in interest here. The numbers are in front of us. Can we sell out 50% of the games with the best schedule ever? I hope so.

Meh, that's a lot of doom & gloom. We have not peaked in interest. CT sports fans are spoiled brats. This team is going to have to make a splash nationally to gain some extra momentum. The sellouts from the early days had scores of empty seats, those seats have filled in over the years. 2014 will be a challenge, but hopefully we'll have an ACC or B1G invite down the road that should further build interest and the fanbase.

Reaction Score
We've lost some momentum after 2010. I don't think there is anything denying that. Winning goes a long way to addressing that........a very long way. P blew it last season and as a result he will enter this season with a very good chance of being unemployed right after this season ends.

And I truly believe he has no one to blame but himself for that. He had to watch the defense last season and realize it was enormously talented and then he let his OC ride a 160 LB RB into the ground. Now he has one hell of a schedule to address and 4 of last year's defenders waiting for calls from the NFL. Made his own bed...........

Reaction Score
Its a downer but reality unfortunately, at least for this state. I am somebody who has been to every game and every spring game, and I am just so disappointed as to why there are scores of empty seats. I was really demoralized at the NC State game last year - among others.

Don't put the cart before the horse. We get fans we get in. We get no fans, we get no invite. If we continue the 20,000 season ticket years then I do not see much hope. Other teams survive in bad years, It's not the record - just demographics unfortunately.

But hope springs eternal. I am excited about the schedule and the team. Weist looks to be the guy that gets us out of this mess. Ill be there next Saturday rain or shine.

U

UConn9604

I find it interesting that we had a huge bump after the 2007 Big East title but actually lost season ticket holders after the 2010 Big East title.

Reaction Score
We have to encourage others to go to football games. Tell them we need people pack the stadium to get into a MUCH better conference. There are people out there who never went and are interested.

Reaction Score
Not with Coach Ozymandias on the sideline. UConn football will not be able to turn that corner until he is gone.

Reaction Score
a shelley reference gets you style points. We'll know by the USF game if the pasture gates should be opened and the paddock prepared. This is a crazy world we live in though, and for some reason it's a fitting way for pasqualoni to be revealed, finally. Win towson, md and michigan and be a hero, rightfully showing the naysayers how dumb they were. Lose to md and michigan, and the dynamic duo becomes a footnote. This is year three, the talking will be done.

Not with Coach Ozymandias on the sideline. UConn football will not be anle to turn that corner until he is gone.

Reaction Score
a shelley reference gets you style points. We'll know by the USF game if the pasture gates should be opened and the paddock prepared. This is a crazy world we live in though, and for some reason it's a fitting way for pasqualoni to be revealed, finally. Win towson, md and michigan and be a hero, rightfully showing the naysayers how dumb they were. Lose to md and michigan, and the dynamic duo becomes a footnote. This is year three, the talking will be done.

Oh... he wasn't referring to the superhero? ;)

Reaction Score

The only question in my mind, is how soon the the Boneyard Contest to guess the day Pasqualoni cleans out his office starts.

Reaction Score

2003 24,000
2004 28,000

Ok... 30K this year, only if UConn hired the ghost of Bear Bryant and we have for home games Bama, LSU, Texas , OSU and UCLA. Since they are NOT on the schedule, and PP is our head coach (Who will not be mistaken for BEAR) I doubt it!!

Reaction Score

I agree with you on people moving out, but I won't give you why (since this is not THE CESSPOOL)

Reaction Score
I think the economy, a coaching staff with their style of play and seemingly lack of enthusiasm, no marketing plan, and lack of winning have depressed attendance. We have a good home schedule this year, but the coaching staff is not getting the fan base excited about the team after watching the worst FBS offenses over the past 2 years. I do think we will have a big uptick in season tickets this year because of the schedule, though.

As for the economy, it is really sad what has happened to Connecticut over the years, but I don't think it is the prime driver of football and basketball attendance. Still, lot's of UConn alums have relocated out of the area due to a lack of good jobs in Connecticut which I'm sure hasn't helped attendance.

Reaction Score
Consider this. Out of all of the almuni out there...there are only 12,000 dues paying members of the Alumni Association. With the election coming up for the national board, you wouldn't even believe the paltry number of votes it will take to win (6 of the 12 on the slate get in). The apathy problem isn't only about football.

Reaction Score
Consider this. Out of all of the almuni out there...there are only 12,000 dues paying members of the Alumni Association. With the election coming up for the national board, you wouldn't even believe the paltry number of votes it will take to win (6 of the 12 on the slate get in). The apathy problem isn't only about football.
Paltry endowment too. Hopefully this adminstration will begin to turn many of these issues around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom