Champions League Round of 16 (and some Europa round of 32 matches) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Champions League Round of 16 (and some Europa round of 32 matches)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pretty exciting final 5 minutes of Arsenal v Monaco (I turned it on in the 89th minute). Monaco was up 2-0, Chamberlain with a great goal in 90+1 minutes reduce it to 2-1, Monaco scores in the final seconds on a perfect counter attacl to make it a 3-1 final for Monaco.

Leverkusen tops Atletico 1-0 at home.

A loss and gave up 3 away goals at home!? I'll respond as soon as I calm down enough not to throw my TV out the window. Damn, I need to commiserate with my good fried Cap Morgan.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A loss and gave up 3 away goals at home!? I'll respond as soon as I calm down enough not to throw my TV out the window. Damn, I need to commiserate with my good fried Cap Morgan.
Completely disgusting. Even when we get a good draw we screw it up. :mad:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Down go Liverpool and Spurs. Only Everton left in Europe and likely just Chelsea left in Champions league after this round. Premier crashing and burning this week. Yikes!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why can't Everton score 7 goals in two games in league. The season has been an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
Why can't Everton score 7 goals in two games in league. The season has been an embarrassment.

Because they don't play Young Boys in league. I think if they had to play Besiktas or Fiorentina they would have been eliminated in either case.

Reaction Score
After Sundays League Cup final, Spurs will be 100% focused on EPL matches.... and the way they've played lately they will need to be to have even the slimmest of chances to crack top 4. They amaze me. Beat Chelsea and Arsenal, then lose or draw to likes of Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham, and Fiorentino. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Hoping to see at least 2nd half of Chelsea v PSG this afternoon 1-1 heading to Stamford Bridge, should be a great game.
I didn't see any of yesterdays UCL games, but looks like it was goals galore, 11 combined in the 2 games. Schalke almost clawed back to get past Real but Real and Porto advance to the quarters

Reaction Score
Bayern handling their business, up 2-0 at half over Shakthtar Donetsk (and up 2-0 aggregate). Donestk down to 10 men as Kucher took down Gotze in the box at the 3 minute mark. Muller converted the PK, Boateng added another goal in the 34th minute.

Chelsea and PSG are scoreless at the half (aggregate is 1-1, so Chelsea currently has the advantage w/ the one away goal). I didn't see it, but Ibrahimovic got a straight red card in the 32nd minute, so the Parisians are playing a man down the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Bayern handling their business, up 2-0 at half over Shakthtar Donetsk (and up 2-0 aggregate). Donestk down to 10 men as Kucher took down Gotze in the box at the 3 minute mark. Muller converted the PK, Boateng added another goal in the 34th minute.

Chelsea and PSG are scoreless at the half (aggregate is 1-1, so Chelsea currently has the advantage w/ the one away goal). I didn't see it, but Ibrahimovic got a straight red card in the 32nd minute, so the Parisians are playing a man down the rest of the way.

...and Chelsea is out after drawing 2 to 2 against a 10 man PSG team at home due to away goals. I can't stand Chelsea; but, not sure if its a good thing that no EPL teams are likely to make it to the semi's. Plus, as a guy who has seen a Lyon match to two, I have no love for PSG either.

Reaction Score
Ya, the EPL is proving out to be not on par with La Liga, Series A, Bundesliga, and French League 1... This season at least, probably the past few seasons.

I caught the final 10 minutes of Chelsea-PSG, then the recap highlights. Greats ending,but apparently not a great game for the most part (according to the studio "experts"). PSG w/ a late equalizer to go to the added 30 minutes, and another late equalizers to win on away goals.

Reaction Score
Ya, the EPL is proving out to be not on par with La Liga, Series A, Bundesliga, and French League 1... This season at least, probably the past few seasons.

I caught the final 10 minutes of Chelsea-PSG, then the recap highlights. Greats ending,but apparently not a great game for the most part (according to the studio "experts"). PSG w/ a late equalizer to go to the added 30 minutes, and another late equalizers to win on away goals.

and a yet another bad case of a referee's questionable calls determining the outcome of the game. Both coaches were complaining about Bjorn Kuipers. The guy looked out of his league in this match and as a result, the match was not attractive. Maybe one day FIFA will do something.

Reaction Score
and a yet another bad case of a referee's questionable calls determining the outcome of the game. Both coaches were complaining about Bjorn Kuipers. The guy looked out of his league in this match and as a result, the match was not attractive. Maybe one day FIFA will do something.
Agreed. That ref was especially terrible. From what I watched, and the recap Fox Soccer provided, sounds like PSG get the rawest end of the stick on the calls, but the guy was inept towards both team. He completely lost control early and never got it back. Ibrahmovich straight red was iffy (definitely a yellow, red was borderline) but late 2nd half a Chelsea player (forget who) just detroyed a PSG player with a similar and even more severe tackle and he only recieved the yellow. There was a lot of action away from the ball with elbows and pull downs. Bad game by the officials and a very dirty game by both teams.

Reaction Score
I was home sick and saw the whole game. I don't even think Zlatan's move was a yellow. But at first it felt like that bad call had ruined the game. I think Mourinho's conservative tactics came back to bite him. Just no excuse to not win the game with a man advantage for so long.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Mourinho's conservative tactics came back to bite him. Just no excuse to not win the game with a man advantage for so long.
I laugh in Mourinho's general direction. :D

Reaction Score
Gunners making it interesting. Up 2-0 very late, 3-3 on aggregate but behind in away goals. They've got about 2 minutes of regular time and whatever added time to get their 3rd goal and advance.

Reaction Score
5 minutes added time...plenty of time and the Gunners are pressing.

Reaction Score
aaaand the EPL is down to 1 team in UCL, with City vsiting Barca tomorrow, already down 2-1 from the first leg.
Everton still alive in Europa, starting a 2 game series v. Dynamo Kiev Thursday.

Reaction Score
aaaand the EPL is down to 1 team in UCL, with City vsiting Barca tomorrow, already down 2-1 from the first leg.
Everton still alive in Europa, starting a 2 game series v. Dynamo Kiev Thursday.

Gunners gave it a good try; but, it was too big of a hole to climb out of on the road. Makes that home loss, and loss is a generous word, even more depressing. At least Arsenal is 7 points ahead of the Spurs in the EPL :)

Reaction Score
Days like yesterday are why I think the away goals rule is dumb.

The whole concept is just flawed. Soccer largely becomes a much less perfect contest after 90 minutes. Most games that go to extra time go to penalty kicks. I got it.

But if you lose your home leg 5-0 and win the away leg 6-1 you lose. That makes no sense to me.

I would love to see them run a tournament without the rule to see the difference.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Days like yesterday are why I think the away goals rule is dumb.

The whole concept is just flawed. Soccer largely becomes a much less perfect contest after 90 minutes. Most games that go to extra time go to penalty kicks. I got it.

But if you lose your home leg 5-0 and win the away leg 6-1 you lose. That makes no sense to me.

I would love to see them run a tournament without the rule to see the difference.
No, you'd win. 6-6 aggregate and you have 6 away goals to 5.

I like the away goals rule. Makes it more interesting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gunners gave it a good try; but, it was too big of a hole to climb out of on the road. Makes that home loss, and loss is a generous word, even more depressing. At least Arsenal is 7 points ahead of the Spurs in the EPL :)
Ended just the way I figured it would. We'd win 2-0, but it would just be short of progressing. I guess now we can concentrate on the EPL top 4 (3, 2?) and the FA Cup.

Reaction Score
No, you'd win. 6-6 aggregate and you have 6 away goals to 5.

I like the away goals rule. Makes it more interesting.

Noted. It's still bizarre. I don't think it makes it interesting, because it affects play too much. In the first leg, once the away team scores the first goal the play changes.

Another stupid example is from the MLS playoffs last year. Seattle and Dallas play in Dallas to a 1-1 draw. The next game is 0-0. I think it's dumb to have a system where two teams can play two games and one team doesn't have to even win to advance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Noted. It's still bizarre. I don't think it makes it interesting, because it affects play too much. In the first leg, once the away team scores the first goal the play changes.

Another stupid example is from the MLS playoffs last year. Seattle and Dallas play in Dallas to a 1-1 draw. The next game is 0-0. I think it's dumb to have a system where two teams can play two games and one team doesn't have to even win to advance.
What's the difference between winning one and losing one AND tying two (drawing two ;)) ? It's only used when there is a tie after the two games. It's just a tie-breaker. You prefer a coin toss? KFTM?

By affecting play, I think it makes it MORE interesting.

Reaction Score
What's the difference between winning one and losing one AND tying two (drawing two ;)) ? It's only used when there is a tie after the two games. It's just a tie-breaker. You prefer a coin toss? KFTM?

By affecting play, I think it makes it MORE interesting.

It's interesting but in a really contrived sort of way.

Because when you "win" something. There should be a team that actually wins a game. I don't think it makes it more interesting, because what ends up always happening is that the home team plays conservative or worse and the away team attacks.

Even worse, you get really cynical tactics like the away team scoring all of one goal in the first leg and then they just shut down completely. Boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom