Champions League & Europa draws complete | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Champions League & Europa draws complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bad news for City fans. Kompany left the game in the 7th minute today, supposedly a re-injuring of his hamstring which kept him out earlier in the season. No bueno... That said, they are 0-0 (up 3-1 aggregate) in the 70th minute, so barring a disastrous final 20 minutes they are thru. Would like to see them get the win for coefficient points.

Atletico Madrid v PSV Eindhoven still 0-0 through 160 aggregated minutes of play. 20 minutes left in regular time, if scoreless they go to 30 minute "playoff" before PK's.

Reaction Score
And Atleti goes through via PKs, 7-6. It didn't look like PSV was going to miss, and Atleti's GK was not even close on most balls.

Reaction Score
Who has the better odds? Kasich wining the GOP nomination for President or Arsenal advancing past Barcelona today in the Champions League?

Reaction Score
Well, since Barca announced that Messi, Suarez, and Neymar are all playing, that puts Arsenal's odds on advancing about the same as Jeb Bush winning the GOP.

Arsenal starting XI: Ospina, Bellierin, Koscielny, Gabriel, Monreal, Elnemy, Flamini, Iwobi, Ozil, Alexis, and Welbeck.

Reaction Score
Wow... Muller heads in a HUGE equalizer in the final minute of added time make it 2-2. Referre blows the whistle maybe a minute later. They're in the 30 minute "overtime".

Barca goes thru 3-1 (5-1 agg)....Messi, Suarez, and Neymar each scoring a goal

Reaction Score
Wow, some great games this week. The final 8 draw is 7am Friday.

Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
Previous best: runners-up 1974, 2014
Quarter-final record: P7 W4 L3

Barcelona (ESP, holders)
Previous best: winners 1992, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2015
Quarter-final record: P17 W14 L3

Bayern München (GER)
Previous best: winners 1974, 1975, 1976, 2001, 2013
Quarter-final record: P26 W17 L9

Benfica (POR)
Previous best: winners 1961, 1962
Quarter-final record: P16 W8 L8

Manchester City (ENG)
Previous best: round of 16 2014, 2015
Quarter-final record: first appearance

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Previous best: semi-finals 1995
Quarter-final record: P4 W1 L3

Real Madrid (ESP)
Previous best: winners 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2014
Quarter-final record: P32 W26 L6

Wolfsburg (GER)
Previous best: group stage 2010
Quarter-final record: first appearance

Quarter-finals: matches 5/6 & 12/13 April
Semi-finals: draw 15 April, matches 26/27 April & 3/4 May
Final: Saturday 28 May, in Milan.

Reaction Score
Wow... Muller heads in a HUGE equalizer in the final minute of added time make it 2-2. Referre blows the whistle maybe a minute later. They're in the 30 minute "overtime".

Bayren did the EPL a favor, too, in dropping Juventus. With the loss, Serie A cannot bypass the Premiership in the UEFA league standings and thus the EPL will continue to send 4 teams into the Champions league.

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premi...secures-4-champions-league-places-for-2017-18

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Watching Barca is just a treat. That Suarez goal was just awesome, especially when watching real time.

Reaction Score
Bayren did the EPL a favor, too, in dropping Juventus. With the loss, Serie A cannot bypass the Premiership in the UEFA league standings and thus the EPL will continue to send 4 teams into the Champions league.

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premi...secures-4-champions-league-places-for-2017-18
adding to this, Lazio just lost at home to Sparta Prague 3-0, so all Italian teams are out of Europe. One of Liverpool/United is assured to advance, and Spurs are pretty much done (down 3-0 from 1st game). They are not starting Kane or Rose once again, and Eriksen is not even on the bench. Surprised Lloris is starting ahead of Vrom in net.

Also, CCV is on Spurs bench, and Pulisic is on Dortmund's bench. Could be fun if they were lined up against each other for the final 20-30 minutes.

Reaction Score
Pulisic entered the game in the 60th minute. CCV won't see the field (Spurs out of substitutions after pulling Davies early due to injury, and then Alli and Lamela mid 2nd half).
Dortmund up 2-1 in 76th minute.

It's all about the EPL from here on out for Tottenham!

Reaction Score
Pulisic entered the game in the 60th minute. CCV won't see the field (Spurs out of substitutions after pulling Davies early due to injury, and then Alli and Lamela mid 2nd half).
Dortmund up 2-1 in 76th minute.

It's all about the EPL from here on out for Tottenham!

I wish Arsenal did the same against Barcelona. Should have let the kids play in that game and focus on chasing down Leicester, even if the chance of doing so is very slight.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm a Liverpool fan because they played in The Rent. So to be consistent I should be pulling for Benefica. But where the Scoucers put on a show, Bene just went through the motions. Go Bayern!

Reaction Score
UCL & Europa QF pairings (home team from first leg listed first):

UCL
4/5 & 4/13 Barca v Atletico;
4/5 & 4/13 Bayern v Benfica
4/6 & 4/12 PSG v City
4/6 & 4/12 Wolfsburg v Real
Tough draw for Barca and Atletico to meet up now, could have seen this as a final. I predict Barca, Bayern, PSG, and Real advancing

Europa, all games 4/7 & 4/14
Villareal v Sparta Prague
Braga v Shakhtar
Dortmund v Liverpool
Ath. Bilbao v Sevilla

Wow, Dortmund v. former manager J. Klopp has some great story lines (worst possible draw for Liverpool)
I'm guessing it will be Villareal, Shakthar, Dortmund, and Sevilla.

This will most likely knock all EPL sides out of Europe.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Liverpool is really coming around, I can see them winning.

Reaction Score
Liverpool is really coming around, I can see them winning.
I'd love to see them go thru, win Europa (unless Spurs slip up and end p fisnishing 4th in EPL. If Liverpool wins Europa, they get the auto-bid to UCL, which bumps whoever finishes 4th in EPL out of the UCL spot and into Europa.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see them go thru, win Europa (unless Spurs slip up and end p fisnishing 4th in EPL. If Liverpool wins Europa, they get the auto-bid to UCL, which bumps whoever finishes 4th in EPL out of the UCL spot and into Europa.

That is not true anymore, Spain had 5 in the Champions league this year. No one gets screwed like Spurs did a few years ago when Chelsea won and didnt finish top 4.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Watching the game today the announcer said that Klopp really didn't care for Europa, he preferred the domestic games. But if the goal is the Champions League, isn't winning Europa their most realistic chance?

Reaction Score
Watching the game today the announcer said that Klopp really didn't care for Europa, he preferred the domestic games. But if the goal is the Champions League, isn't winning Europa their most realistic chance?
I'm guessing that is probably true for many managers. If not in the CL they'd prefer to be focused on league matches. Those Thursday games are tough to bounce back from for league play. It's a more $$ than not being in it, its exposure, but makes it challenging to perform at a high level week in and week out domestically.

And yes, Liverpools most realistic path to CL is winning Europa (especially after blowing a 2 goal lead and losing today). Should be interesting seeing the reactions when Klopp comes onto the field at Dortmund.

Reaction Score
Barca over Atletico: they're just too good. I really wanted to pick Atletico to win, but just can't. I think the only team that MIGHT stand a chance is Bayern.

Bayern over Benfica: that win over Juve was incredible to watch. They don't need to be at their best to beat Benfica, but looking past them could make the upset possible. Still won't happen.

PSG over City: this would be an insane matchup if Kompany and Otamendi were healthy. Since they aren't, I don't think City will be able to contain Zlatan, Cavani, et al.

Real over Wolfsburg: honestly wonder how good Wolfsburg could've been if they kept De Bruyne. Anyways, I'd put their chances of beating Real at less than five percent.

These will be titanic semifinals, should all the favorites win.

Villarreal over Sparta: clock strikes midnight on Cinderella. I underrated Villarreal last round, won't make the same mistake again.

Shakhtar over Braga: don't look now, but they got that easier draw I was talking about. Really wish Teixiera was still around.

Dortmund over Liverpool: I'll give Liverpool a fighting chance, but Tuchel's got the boys firing on all cylinders. Hope City can bring in Gundogan over the summer. One of the best box-to-box midfielders in the world.

Sevilla over Athletic: They're the better side, but like Liverpool Atheltic do have some chance of an upset. Konoplyanka scored an absolute screamer from some 30 yards out against Villarreal in La Liga last week.

Reaction Score
Barca over Atletico: they're just too good. I really wanted to pick Atletico to win, but just can't. I think the only team that MIGHT stand a chance is Bayern.

Bayern over Benfica: that win over Juve was incredible to watch. They don't need to be at their best to beat Benfica, but looking past them could make the upset possible. Still won't happen.

PSG over City: this would be an insane matchup if Kompany and Otamendi were healthy. Since they aren't, I don't think City will be able to contain Zlatan, Cavani, et al.

Real over Wolfsburg: honestly wonder how good Wolfsburg could've been if they kept De Bruyne. Anyways, I'd put their chances of beating Real at less than five percent.

These will be titanic semifinals, should all the favorites win.

Villarreal over Sparta: clock strikes midnight on Cinderella. I underrated Villarreal last round, won't make the same mistake again.

Shakhtar over Braga: don't look now, but they got that easier draw I was talking about. Really wish Teixiera was still around.

Dortmund over Liverpool: I'll give Liverpool a fighting chance, but Tuchel's got the boys firing on all cylinders. Hope City can bring in Gundogan over the summer. One of the best box-to-box midfielders in the world.

Sevilla over Athletic: They're the better side, but like Liverpool Atheltic do have some chance of an upset. Konoplyanka scored an absolute screamer from some 30 yards out against Villarreal in La Liga last week.

I'd be shocked if Otamendi isn't back for PSG, so it'll be him and Mangala for the CB's. Mangala does pretty well against bigger guys like Ibrahimovich generally, but I still think PSG is too good. It doesn't help that Sterling, De Bruyne, and Hart may very well not be healthy enough to play.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Barca is due a tumble (no team has won the CL in its current format two years in a row), and defensively-minded Atletico is their perfect opponent.
Atletico over Barca
PSG over City
Real over Wolfsburg
Bayern over Benfica

Reaction Score
About 60 minutes in and PSG leads Man City 2 to 1 while Wolfsburg leads Real 2 to 0, that is a big surprise.

Reaction Score
Big matches Tuesday and Wednesday.
The way City have been playing, I could see them advancing to the semi's, currently 2-2 (those 2 away goes are big).
Will not be surprised to see Real win by 3 or more v. Wolfsburg at Bernabeu.
Barca has been flat the past 2 weeks, win-less in league play the last 3 matches (2L's 1D), and holding a 1 goal leead over Atletico. No clue which side shows up Wednesday
Bayern should advance past Benfica, away. A draw or better does the trick.

I predict City, Real, Bayern, and Barca in the semi's.

Reaction Score
Big matches Tuesday and Wednesday.
The way City have been playing, I could see them advancing to the semi's, currently 2-2 (those 2 away goes are big).
Will not be surprised to see Real win by 3 or more v. Wolfsburg at Bernabeu.
Barca has been flat the past 2 weeks, win-less in league play the last 3 matches (2L's 1D), and holding a 1 goal leead over Atletico. No clue which side shows up Wednesday
Bayern should advance past Benfica, away. A draw or better does the trick.

I predict City, Real, Bayern, and Barca in the semi's.

If Wolfsburg can get an away goal, especially early, Real is going to be in a lot of trouble. With that much pressure on Real, I can see Cristiano Ronaldo reverting to the whining World Cup Ronaldo that I know and love versus the dominate La Liga Rdonaldo that I detest. Is Benzema fit for Real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom