CBS Sports - American Athletic Conference win total picks: Trust in Greg Ward Jr., Houston | The Boneyard

CBS Sports - American Athletic Conference win total picks: Trust in Greg Ward Jr., Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Expect nothing less from a UNC grad

American Athletic Conference win total picks: Trust in Greg Ward Jr., Houston

>>UConn, 5 (Over +100, Under -120): Knocking off Houston, at home in November, felt like a big moment for UConn under Bob Diaco. In this new and still fluid landscape of the AAC, UConn is starting to look like the team most likely to repeat that feat. Diaco and the Huskies are striving for more than that, but as an outsider it makes those cold afternoon kickoffs even more enticing. I'm predicting they'll get someone this year, but fall short of the postseason. Pick: Under<<

WTF is it w/ the media and the New England weather?? Bunch of flipping pansy azzes - put a cardigan on!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So he thinks we will have less wins than UCF? Really?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
So he thinks we will have less wins than UCF? Really?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I think UCF will be better than expected. That being said, look what happened to Oregon every time they played someone with big lines. They get dominated

Reaction Score
Expect nothing less from a UNC grad

American Athletic Conference win total picks: Trust in Greg Ward Jr., Houston

>>UConn, 5 (Over +100, Under -120): Knocking off Houston, at home in November, felt like a big moment for UConn under Bob Diaco. In this new and still fluid landscape of the AAC, UConn is starting to look like the team most likely to repeat that feat. Diaco and the Huskies are striving for more than that, but as an outsider it makes those cold afternoon kickoffs even more enticing. I'm predicting they'll get someone this year, but fall short of the postseason. Pick: Under<<

WTF is it w/ the media and the New England weather?? Bunch of flipping pansy azzes - put a cardigan on!

Let's not criticize the media on that statement! How many times over the last seventeen years has UConn fans suggested weather as being the "12 man on the field" when predicting a win over strong southern teams who are not use to playing in cold, rainy, windy , snowy New England weather that may occur late November/December. In fact I remember not too long ago when a Hartford TV meteorologist predicted a win over a good south Florida team because flurries/snow showers were predicted (the prediction was even replay on the jumbotron during a time out). UConn won a close game on a last second field goal that looked like it was blasting its way through a snow storm on the way to crossing the bar.

Reaction Score
Let's not criticize the media on that statement!.

We know it's a positive. I could be wrong but I didn't take it as a positive - I took it as snark. Like the multiple comments originating out of the "national media" talking heads. when discussing the UConn BIG12 possibilities and Texas etal not wanting to deal w/ "cold Thursday night kick-offs".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's not criticize the media on that statement! How many times over the last seventeen years has UConn fans suggested weather as being the "12 man on the field" when predicting a win over strong southern teams who are not use to playing in cold, rainy, windy , snowy New England weather that may occur late November/December. In fact I remember not too long ago when a Hartford TV meteorologist predicted a win over a good south Florida team because flurries/snow showers were predicted (the prediction was even replay on the jumbotron during a time out). UConn won a close game on a last second field goal that looked like it was blasting its way through a snow storm on the way to crossing the bar.

Ok, but that's what two games a year when it might be cold? It sure as hell isn't cold in CT in August, September or even most of October. Even then, snow is rare in November (and even December). If they came in January or February, that would be different.

The 5 win projection is asinine and biased. These tools simply don't believe we can play football.

Reaction Score
Ok, but that's what two games a year when it might be cold? It sure as hell isn't cold in CT in August, September or even most of October. Even then, snow is rare in November (and even December). If they came in January or February, that would be different.

The 5 win projection is asinine and biased. These tools simply don't believe we can play football.

50 degrees may not feel cold to us, but when you come from Texas or Florida, and "cold" to you is 70 degrees, then 50 is cold, but probably not a big deal, anything below 30 is freezing (literally, and figuratively), and can definitely impact the visiting team more than it MIGHT impact UConn.

That said, i think the prospects of road games against UConn is very, very low on the list of concerns when it comes to expansion. Very low.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Meh, Pasqualoni destroyed the program. Last year was a step forward but we still ended with a losing season. If Diaco get the guys winning, we will go from perennial underdog status to hot up and coming program status.

For my part, I like it when people underestimate us. It makes the victories just that much sweeter.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
50 degrees may not feel cold to us, but when you come from Texas or Florida, and "cold" to you is 70 degrees, then 50 is cold, but probably not a big deal, anything below 30 is freezing (literally, and figuratively), and can definitely impact the visiting team more than it MIGHT impact UConn.

That said, i think the prospects of road games against UConn is very, very low on the list of concerns when it comes to expansion. Very low.

This is extremely accurate FWIW. I still remember my first October at UConn (2011- when it snowed the week before Halloween) and couldn't believe what I got myself into. 50/40 degree temperatures in October had me calling home to mom complaining about the cold weather :p

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Good grief. Playing football in anything above 65 is too hot. Some wimpy southern fans may feel differently, but there aren't going to be any players bitching about 50 degrees, that's about ideal.

Do people complain about playing Big Ten teams? Most of them are colder than UConn.

Reaction Score
Good grief. Playing football in anything above 65 is too hot. Some wimpy southern fans may feel differently, but there aren't going to be any players bitching about 50 degrees, that's about ideal.

Do people complain about playing Big Ten teams? Most of them are colder than UConn.

Ignoring the obvious fact that UConn is not Michigan or even Minnesota, and that the AAC is not the B1G, when was the last time a P5 team from Texas, Florida, California, Arizona or Georgia played an out of conference game in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or even Ohio in November or December? I'll wait.

I always thought temperature was relative. I guess when I go to Florida in January and see people in leather jackets, hoodies, hats and gloves while it's 70 degrees and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt; I should tell them that, according to HuskyHawk, it's actually too hot to play football.

Are the sideline heaters only for the "wimpy southerners" on our team?

Good grief indeed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is a team on the rise...who will win less games than last year
Yeah his logic doesn't make sense. He also mentions the amount of young players coming back for UCF, as if we don't return a ton of young guys. I'd also argue the schedule this year is easier. Why would he bet that a team on the rise, returning a lot of talent, and playing an easier schedule, will win fewer games than last year?

Reaction Score
Well weather is relative I guess. I remember being in San Didgo in October and people wearing down jackets at night because it was "freezing" at 68. But the main reason those teams don't play here in November is that is the heat of conference/rival games. And with a few exceptions like the ConnFLict mostly involve regional opponents.

As for the prediction I think it's possible we are 7-5 even 8-4 if things break right. Our no league schedule is very winnable and if you add in a Tulane a Navy team that will be taking a step back, any of course the ConnFLict we should be in that range.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I grew up in Connecticut but have been in Texas for 30 years.

40 or 50 degrees has no impact on southern teams. Freezing rain, wind, and 30 degrees is a different story.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

You can't have it both ways. Either our football program sucks and you ought to be able to whip us anywhere the game is played, including on the moon, or you're a bunch of candy ass southern wimps who are wet pants scared to play UConn in a potential late Nov. blizzard or ice storm. Which is it?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I grew up in Connecticut but have been in Texas for 30 years.

40 or 50 degrees has no impact on southern teams. Freezing rain, wind, and 30 degrees is a different story.

It seemed to have an effect on Houston last year at the Rent. Those boys were huddled around their sideline heaters even early in the first quarter, when the temp was still in the mid 40's. It's a psychological advantage, no matter how hard the southern teams try to downplay it. I knew right then it was likely to be a game where we might gain the upper hand.

Reaction Score
You can't have it both ways. Either our football program sucks and you ought to be able to whip us anywhere the game is played, including on the moon, or you're a bunch of candy ass southern wimps who are wet pants scared to play UConn in a potential late Nov. blizzard or ice storm. Which is it?

It seemed to have an effect on Houston last year at the Rent. Those boys were huddled around their sideline heaters even early in the first quarter, when the temp was still in the mid 40's. It's a psychological advantage, no matter how hard the southern teams try to downplay it. I knew right then it was likely to be a game where we might gain the upper hand.
This is strange, even by boneyard standards.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Well weather is relative I guess. I remember being in San Didgo in October and people wearing down jackets at night because it was "freezing" at 68. .
The average annual day time high in San Diego is 69 degrees. Hard to believe anyone was wearing down jackets and freezing. Maybe up in LA

Reaction Score
Watching football at the Rent in 26-28 degrees, I get very cold, while skiing in the same temp I perspire profusely.its all a matter of what you are doing.

Standing around on the sidelines I would be close to the heater too.

Reaction Score
Watching football at the Rent in 26-28 degrees, I get very cold, while skiing in the same temp I perspire profusely.its all a matter of what you are doing.

Standing around on the sidelines I would be close to the heater too.

No doubt. I remember going to the whale bowl at the rent and I had ALL my snowboard gear on including layers, goggles, etc and I was still freezing. Yet, same gear @ Jay Peak it's like -5 with 40-50 mph wind and I'm fine.

Standing or sitting watching football in the cold is a whole different ball game. You're at least moving while skiing just like the players are. 7-10 minutes of not moving on a lift doesn't compare to 2-3 hrs at a football game. Man, that night was cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom