Cashman's pitching record | The Boneyard

Cashman's pitching record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looks like he got fleeced on the Pineda for Jesus trade.

Since he became GM he has signed or traded for such flops as Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa, A.J. Burnett, Jeff Weaver, Kevin Brown, Hideki Irabu, Denny Neagle, Javy Vazquez(twice), Damaso Marte, Jose Contreras, Kyle Farnsworth, Jarret Wright, Mark Wohlers, Al Leiter, Jon Lieber, Jay Witasick, Kenny Rogers and Armando Benitez.

He has traded away Eric Milton, Tyler Clippard, Ian Kennedy and Ted Lilly.

On his watch golden arms Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes have not developed as planned.

Not a very good track record.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Since he became GM he has signed or traded for such flops as Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa, A.J. Burnett, Jeff Weaver, Kevin Brown, Hideki Irabu, Denny Neagle, Javy Vazquez(twice), Damaso Marte, Jose Contreras, Kyle Farnsworth, Jarret Wright, Mark Wohlers, Al Leiter, Jon Lieber, Jay Witasick, Kenny Rogers and Armando Benitez.

On his watch golden arms Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes have not developed as planned.

Not a very good track record.

Not every team can draft at the top for several years because they sucked for so long and get #1 draft choice for pitching. You win some you lose some.

Reaction Score
Not every team can draft at the top for several years because they sucked for so long and get #1 draft choice for pitching. You win some you lose some.

So you think Cashman has done a good job?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So you think Cashman has done a good job?

You can go around to all teams and point out the bad trades. It's not an exact science.

And some are forced on Cashman by dumb ownership.

Overall, I think he's done ok. I'm not the kind of fan that is unhappy with how the Yanks have done since Cashman has been GM. I only want a chance to win every year. Playoffs are usually a crapshoot.

Reaction Score

You are seriously reaching with some of these. Leiber was 14-8 in his one season as a Yank. Benitez pitched 9 innings for them till Cashman traded him. Al Leiter was just taking a chance, I think they traded a bag of balls for him. Witasick pitched 40 innings for them.

Brian Cashman wasn't even the GM when they got Kenny Rodgers.

The ones traded away: Milton has a career 5 ERA, Tyler Clippard you have to be kidding me and Kennedy was traded along with Jackson for Granderson. I think every Yankee fan is happy with Granderson.

Reaction Score
Hey, I'm just trying to take the heat off my boy Bobby V. here!

Reaction Score
Way, way too early to draw any conclusions on the Montero-Pineda trade. Has Cashman done a great job w/ pitching? I think he's done OK, given his constraints. As mentioned, he doesn't draft #1 like some teams, cough. And for years he was overruled by George and his Tampa buddies. They also had no use for the minor leagues and that tied a hand behind his back. Since getting real GM power, he's concentrated on pitching and catching in the minors, hence the ability to trade a guy like Montero with good depth still in the system, and he's got some very good prospects on the verge, like Banuelos and Betances. And Robertson has been a rock in the bullpen

Reaction Score
Way, way too early to draw any conclusions on the Montero-Pineda trade.

True. Pineda has a ton of talent. I get the feeling that Seattle knew he had spent the winter eating donuts on his couch, though.

Reaction Score
True. Pineda has a ton of talent. I get the feeling that Seattle knew he had spent the winter eating donuts on his couch, though.

I think they didn't like his arm motion. Past elbow injuries and now shoulder problems. Again, why trade a future 22 year old ace in a small market, under team control for 6 years for a DH?

Reaction Score
Way, way too early to draw any conclusions on the Montero-Pineda trade. Has Cashman done a great job w/ pitching? I think he's done OK, given his constraints. As mentioned, he doesn't draft #1 like some teams, cough. And for years he was overruled by George and his Tampa buddies. They also had no use for the minor leagues and that tied a hand behind his back. Since getting real GM power, he's concentrated on pitching and catching in the minors, hence the ability to trade a guy like Montero with good depth still in the system, and he's got some very good prospects on the verge, like Banuelos and Betances. And Robertson has been a rock in the bullpen

I like the constraints bit, good stuff. The Yanks out spend the comp. in the international market for latin pitchers who you pointed out they now may or may not have some good ones. That is a pretty big hammer to swing.

The draft is a crap shoot (see Brian Taylor) and for the record the Rays got Price as the first overall pick, Shields in the 16th round, Niemann in the first, Hellickson in the 4th, Davis in the 3rd and Matt Moore in the 8th. Scouting has more to do with ther Rays success then draft postion.

Cashman had three young pitchers who arrived at about the same time. Joba he has screwed up beyond repair. He traded a former minor league pitcher of the year who now looks to be a top 12 pitcher in baseball. Hughes is now trying to hold on to a spot holding off a 40 year old who hasn't pitched in 18 months.

Lets keep an eye on Kuroda he is a guy Cashman targeted. Good matchup vs Texas tonight.

If I owned the Yanks, Cashman and his poor judgement would be gone.

Reaction Score
I like the constraints bit, good stuff. The Yanks out spend the comp. in the international market for latin pitchers who you pointed out they now may or may not have some good ones. That is a pretty big hammer to swing.

The draft is a crap shoot (see Brian Taylor) and for the record the Rays got Price as the first overall pick, Shields in the 16th round, Niemann in the first, Hellickson in the 4th, Davis in the 3rd and Matt Moore in the 8th. Scouting has more to do with ther Rays success then draft postion.

Cashman had three young pitchers who arrived at about the same time. Joba he has screwed up beyond repair. He traded a former minor league pitcher of the year who now looks to be a top 12 pitcher in baseball. Hughes is now trying to hold on to a spot holding off a 40 year old who hasn't pitched in 18 months.

Lets keep an eye on Kuroda he is a guy Cashman targeted. Good matchup vs Texas tonight.

If I owned the Yanks, Cashman and his poor judgement would be gone.

Give me a break - constraints obviously didn't concern budget, but operational freedom. Some of the pitcher you mentioned were acquired against his recommendation, and as mentioned, forget any of your draft picks - George would have traded them all, before they hit the majors, for an over-the-hill 36 year old. Kuroda was signed strictly as a one year stop-gap. If that seems unreasonable, consider your DH's Damon and Matsui.

Reaction Score
Tampa's DH is Luke Scott. Matsui is more for injury insurance and a bench bat. And stop gps are better served as a DH then a #2 starter.

I understand Kuroda is on a one year deal but Cashman targeted him when other guys were out there like Edwin Jackson, Roy Oswalt and the more expensive Buehrle, CJ Wilson and Darvish. Kuroda and Pineda are Cashman guys and i'm very interested how they will make out in the band boxes of the AL east.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Any conclusions on the Pineda trade are the ramblings of someone reaching. The Pineda-Montero trade was a good one. Always take the pitcher.

Bad outcomes do not invalidate good process. And, by the way, it's four months into the trade.

Hey, sink, can you find me the last time the Yankees traded a position player prospect and it came back to bite them in the ass? I'll wait here. Gonna take you a long while.

zls44

Reaction Score
Great performance by Kuroda last night. That's a win 9 times out of 10.

Cashman is one of the top 5 GM's in baseball. The attacks on his judgement always have been, and continue to be, completely asinine. Once Tampa finally gave him full control over player development, the Yankees went from a crap farm system to one of the top ones in baseball, DESPITE drafting from the basement of the first round- WHEN THEY HAD a first round pick.

Remember how everyone thought the Yankees were insane to draft Bichette Jr. so early? And for being so high on Gerrit Cole? Hmm?

Who's laughing now?

Reaction Score
Any conclusions on the Pineda trade are the ramblings of someone reaching. The Pineda-Montero trade was a good one. Always take the pitcher.

Bad outcomes do not invalidate good process. And, by the way, it's four months into the trade.

Hey, sink, can you find me the last time the Yankees traded a position player prospect and it came back to bite them in the ass? I'll wait here. Gonna take you a long while.

How about Jay Buhner, Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall. As for recently Jose Tabata for Xavier Nady.

My good friend Cali has told me that Jesus is a Piazza-Manny type bat, pretty good chance that Pineda is damaged goods. Does MLB have a return policy?

Reaction Score
Great performance by Kuroda last night. That's a win 9 times out of 10.

Cashman is one of the top 5 GM's in baseball. The attacks on his judgement always have been, and continue to be, completely asinine. Once Tampa finally gave him full control over player development, the Yankees went from a crap farm system to one of the top ones in baseball, DESPITE drafting from the basement of the first round- WHEN THEY HAD a first round pick.

Remember how everyone thought the Yankees were insane to draft Bichette Jr. so early? And for being so high on Gerrit Cole? Hmm?

Who's laughing now?

Lets get some MLB production before we do a victory lap.

Kuroda numbers looked great last night. If this Yu Darvish is the real deal Texas will be a beast to beat in a playoff series.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

He effectively passed on Santana who has not pitched a whole lot of innings for the Mets. He went all out for Sabathia, who has been the ace of the Yankee staff, pitching a ton of innings.
I think Cashman has been much better than OK, just based on those two decisions.

Reaction Score
He effectively passed on Santana who has not pitched a whole lot of innings for the Mets. He went all out for Sabathia, who has been the ace of the Yankee staff, pitching a ton of innings.
I think Cashman has been much better than OK, just based on those two decisions.

You get credit for who you don't sign? How about not signing Cliff Lee? For the record Santana has been a Met for 3 years and pitched 600 innings. Want to see a guy who didn't get many innings on a FA deal check out Pavano in NY.

My cat would have signed CC. Cashman got him because the Yanks offered the most cash.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You get credit for who you don't sign? How about not signing Cliff Lee? For the record Santana has been a Met for 3 years and pitched 600 innings. Want to see a guy who didn't get many innings on a FA deal check out Pavano in NY.

My cat would have signed CC. Cashman got him because the Yanks offered the most cash.

Of course you get credit for who you don't sign. Santana had a terrific first season with 234 innings. But his last 3 years, he pitched 162, 199 and ZERO innings. Or did you forget he was out all last year?

Cliff Lee? Yanks made a great offer. He turned it down for Philadephia. That is Cashman's fault?

zls44

Reaction Score
How about Jay Buhner, Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall. As for recently Jose Tabata for Xavier Nady.

My good friend Cali has told me that Jesus is a Piazza-Manny type bat, pretty good chance that Pineda is damaged goods. Does MLB have a return policy?

Wow, so you bring up a trade in 1991(ish) and...really? Tabata? The guy was a mental headcase. Jose Tabata would have added nothing the Yankees didn't have.

Thanks for completely proving my point.

Reaction Score
Wow, so you bring up a trade in 1991(ish) and...really? Tabata? The guy was a mental headcase. Jose Tabata would have added nothing the Yankees didn't have.

Thanks for completely proving my point.

Jose Tabata does have 8 HR and 56 RBI's in 800 ABs.;)

Reaction Score
Yes DD I did forget Santana was out last year, my mistake.

Jose Tabata is 23 keep an eye on him.

Sorry to hear about Pineda who could of saw that coming?

Reaction Score
Yes DD I did forget Santana was out last year, my mistake.

Jose Tabata is 23 keep an eye on him.

Sorry to hear about Pineda who could of saw that coming?

I think they signed Tabata to a 6 year contract that keeps going up so I hope they are right.

Pineda, what can you do? I didn't want them to trade Montero, especially after this. He is young so hopefully he comes back healthy.

zls44

Reaction Score
Angel Campos and Gaby Sanchez are both tearing it up at lower levels. Keep an eye on them.

A lot of this is making short-term judgements on long-term moves. It's a natural reaction, but it's still not very logical. I mean, Bryce Harper is struggling at AAA. I think he'll be ok.

Reaction Score
Angel Campos and Gaby Sanchez are both tearing it up at lower levels. Keep an eye on them.

I know you mean Gary. I think he was the reason that they traded Jesus. Has his hitting ability but is a much better defender at his point of development. Yanks have set themselves up at catcher very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom