Carla Berube | The Boneyard

Carla Berube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think you are going to see more and more former players become effective coaches. It will be the good communicators who were tough and gritty players. None of what UConn does is a secret and according to Geno, most of the time he can't even give it away. Great job Carla!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
IMO Auriemma's coaching tree is remarkably sparce. The only successful college coaches to come from his teams are Rizzotti, Berube and Wendy Davis. Rizzotti seems to be treading water at Hartford and while Berube has been highly successful it has been on a very small stage (which I believe is exactly as she wants it). Elliott's w/l numbers are dismal and Caruso was fired after a less than stellar head coaching career.
There have been a handful of players taking assistant positions but I don't believe any of them got past that stage. Of the players still coaching as assistants, Ralph is probably the only one with a good shot at a HC job.

Reaction Score
Coaching is a very tough job..You need some good luck and no injuries.......Jen has no players now...........I think she might be looking for a new opportunity soon........Duke, BC, Penn State,

Reaction Score
I have seen it reported that there could be upwards to 30 WBB coaching
vacancies available after the season. If this is true, it may create a opportunity
for one or more of our asst. coaches to become head coaches.

I would not be surprised to see some top jobs open up. There are many good
coaches in WBB ready to move up to the high rent district.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
IMO Auriemma's coaching tree is remarkably sparce. The only successful college coaches to come from his teams are Rizzotti, Berube and Wendy Davis. Rizzotti seems to be treading water at Hartford and while Berube has been highly successful it has been on a very small stage (which I believe is exactly as she wants it). Elliott's w/l numbers are dismal and Caruso was fired after a less than stellar head coaching career.
There have been a handful of players taking assistant positions but I don't believe any of them got past that stage. Of the players still coaching as assistants, Ralph is probably the only one with a good shot at a HC job.
I'd give an "assist" to Geno for Tonya Cardoza at Temple.

I've never subscribed to the theory that great players automatically make good coaching candidates (which is why all the folks who mention DT as a potential successor to GA just befuddle me.) Coaching and playing are two different disciplines. I'm a pretty lousy fastpitch softball player. I'm a pretty good assistant coach. I'd be a poor head coach. They are three different things.

I think you're right in saying Shea is the best current candidate for a HC job - and it has nothing to do with her success as a player. She's been an assistant at two D1 programs - first at Pitt, where it was a weaker school in a tough conference, and then obviously at UConn where it's a powerful program outside of a "P5" conference. Good experience, knows the national scene, been in two different sorts of conferences, two different sorts of teams. Seems to have shown an ability to relate to a variety of potential recruits, alums, donors, admins, and perform a variety of coaching chores and duties.

I think that's a whole lot more important than how many points you scored as a 19 or 20 year old, at least when it comes to being a potential HC.

Reaction Score
Agree, I've said many times that Shea would be a good successor to Geno.

Reaction Score
Jen has 6 banners hanging in her area. Some bad luck lately. But I think better days are coming for her in the future. I hope.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting article came across my news feed, mentioning Berube:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...l-team-ever/FQi8Xkxkf8WykbvocviyTL/story.html

3. Oxford (1992-93)

Former University of Connecticut player Carla Berube is no stranger to perfect seasons. Before playing for the undefeated 1995 NCAA champion Huskies, Berube was on Oxford’s undefeated teams.

For two years, Oxford was unbeatable. The Pirates ended their perfect seasons with two Division 2 state championships.

Many things led to the Pirates’ victories, but one in particular was the prominence of Berube, who finished her career with 2,179 points.

“I feel very fortunate to have played for such a storied girls’ basketball team during the early ’90s,” said Berube, who is now the coach at Tufts. “Those were some really amazing years being able to play the game I love with my best friends and win championships on top of that.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd give an "assist" to Geno for Tonya Cardoza at Temple.

I've never subscribed to the theory that great players automatically make good coaching candidates (which is why all the folks who mention DT as a potential successor to GA just befuddle me.) Coaching and playing are two different disciplines. I'm a pretty lousy fastpitch softball player. I'm a pretty good assistant coach. I'd be a poor head coach. They are three different things.
Two words - Cindy Blodgett.

Reaction Score
Coaching is a very tough job..You need some good luck and no injuries..Jen has no players now......I think she might be looking for a new opportunity soon...Duke, BC, Penn State,
She would be lights out with the recruiting she could do at Duke.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One thing with Geno's tree is that being an assistant at Uconn is a pretty plush job and I think the environment is also pretty attractive. His assistants stick around for a long time so there aren't that many 'former assistants' out there on their own.

Reaction Score
Tonya Cardoza is definitely on Geno's coaching tree. This year might be a big one, I could see both Shea and Marisa getting a good job this time around. Not that I want this to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom