Can't shake the personal impact of the destruction | The Boneyard

Can't shake the personal impact of the destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
of one of the greatest entities in the history of sports(not just college hoops). If I started to recall all of the memories and experiences just for me associated with the Big East Conference(not just those involving the Huskies); and you came back repeatedly to that thread, I would still be writing a week from now. I'm sure any one of you could easily say the same thing. I still have hope that the league can resurrect itself in some form that is even better than what we have all known throughout the years. But, right now, for the sake of money( in some quarters, apparently, there is never enough), this is all destined to go away. To describe it as tragic is completely inadequate. To ask us to live with and accept it is unconscionable.

big-east-logo.jpg

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

Reaction Score
It makes me so freaking sad and angry. The Big East was my favorite thing in sports and honestly College bball just isn't the same for me anymore. I basically just root like crazy for UConn and could care less about any of the other teams.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ironically, the Big East was destroyed by the ACC's weakness.

For all the talk about it, the ACC has not been a particularly good athletic conference on the field - go back and look at their results both prior to and after the first raid. By the numbers, the ACC should have been looking at losing their BCS spot prior to the first raid. In any event, their performance was underwhelming, even in comparison to the Big East. But, perhaps in part due to their relationship to ABC/ESPN, perception has always held them in higher regard than their performance earned them. And with that perception came money and with money came power.

Obviously tired of seeing the Big East declared the best hoop conference while they were suffering through three-bid years, the ACC used that power and money to raid the Big East a second time - if you're looking to bolster a football conference, you don't go after Syracuse and Pittsburgh. And then they raided it a third time for Notre Dame. And a fourth time for Louisville.

They sucked so we got destroyed. Welcome to college sports.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East made a deal with the devil in Miami. Miami's athletic program was out of control from the minute they joined the conference, and Miami's borderline death penalty status, together with BCU's gambling scandal and Rutgers' and Temple's all around crappiness, killed the Big East in its TV contract in the late 90's. The lousy TV contract led to the 2003 raid, which led to another lousy TV contract which led to another raid. Big East, R.I.P.

It the 2003 TV contract was one year shorter, the Big East would have been raiding the ACC.

A deal with the devil is never worth the price.

Reaction Score
The Big East made a deal with the devil in Miami. Miami's athletic program was out of control from the minute they joined the conference, and Miami's borderline death penalty status, together with BCU's gambling scandal and Rutgers' and Temple's all around crappiness, killed the Big East in its TV contract in the late 90's. The lousy TV contract led to the 2003 raid, which led to another lousy TV contract which led to another raid. Big East, R.I.P.

It the 2003 TV contract was one year shorter, the Big East would have been raiding the ACC.

A deal with the devil is never worth the price.
That year difference seems to presume Trained_Geese would have let someone else be in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom