Canada (Kia Nurse) v Turkey @ Noon | The Boneyard

Canada (Kia Nurse) v Turkey @ Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
is it streaming now? I just tried but got what looked like a news feed. Maybe it's half time?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rough half for canada. They must have set a record for most shot clock violations in a half. Canada is not that talented but how 'bout using some ball screens to get some shooters open? Shows just how bad Australia is. Turkey is a good but not great team by any stretch.

Nurse hasn't made a shot. Missed an easy lay-up on a nice back-door play. At the end of the half she tried some ill-advised drives to the basket but hard to blame the kid trying to make something happen with Canada scoring 13 points in the half. She's a tough kid who plays hard and doesn't hang her head when things aren't going well, which surely is the case in this game. She'll be a good player with the talent surrounding her at Uconn. Biggest question is her ability to make perimeter shots.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Hey Cat, my feed is not working, can you tell me how Nirra is doing?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hey Cat, my feed is not working, can you tell me how Nirra is doing?

Didn't do much. Most of the Canadian players looked over-matched in this game. Great experience for Nurse, Fields and Hamblin. Nurse scored 4 points and grabbed 4 rebounds.

Canada and Turkey are in the same group at the World Championships so maybe the Canadian coach didn't want to show too much. Kidding, of course. I expect France and Turkey to come out of that group with Canada having a chance to play its way into the medal round.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Thanks Cat. I saw very little but I was not impressed with Canadas flow. Plouffe did not look like the same player she was at Utah!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks Cat. I saw very little but I was not impressed with Canadas flow. Plouffe did not look like the same player she was at Utah!!

Canada had to work so hard to score and it's not like Turkey is that big and athletic. Early in yesterday's game against Australia Kia Nurse came off a high ball screen and hit an open mid-range jumper (a much better shot for her than 3-pointers). That was it for yesterday's game and I didn't see one in today's game. Looked like Canada was running a motion offense which produced few open shots and lots of shot clock violations. The game against Team USA on Sept 15 should be over quickly.

G

genosguy

Rough half for canada. They must have set a record for most shot clock violations in a half. Canada is not that talented but how 'bout using some ball screens to get some shooters open? Shows just how bad Australia is. Turkey is a good but not great team by any stretch.

Nurse hasn't made a shot. Missed an easy lay-up on a nice back-door play. At the end of the half she tried some ill-advised drives to the basket but hard to blame the kid trying to make something happen with Canada scoring 13 points in the half. She's a tough kid who plays hard and doesn't hang her head when things aren't going well, which surely is the case in this game. She'll be a good player with the talent surrounding her at Uconn. Biggest question is her ability to make perimeter shots.
Kia Nurse is really good or Geno wouldn't waste his valuable time. The real question is how well will Kia work with Geno's coaching--my bet she'll be a contender for PG. But she has lots of competition. What's unfair here, in judging her, is that her teammates back home at UConn are not getting the once over this kid is getting. Yep--I do drink the Geno gator aid

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is really good or Geno wouldn't waste his valuable time. The real question is how well will Kia work with Geno's coaching--my bet she'll be a contender for PG. But she has lots of competition. What's unfair here, in judging her, is that her teammates back home at UConn are not getting the once over this kid is getting. Yep--I do drink the Geno gator aid

UConn Cat wasn't really "judging" Nurse's play, just reporting the facts. UConn Cat did have this to say about Nurse "She's a tough kid who plays hard and doesn't hang her head when things aren't going well, which surely is the case in this game. She'll be a good player with the talent surrounding her at Uconn".
Hardly a condemnation.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Cats assessment was pretty much on the money IMO.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Canada lost to Brazil 65-56 this morning. Nurse scored 6 points and grabbed 2 rebounds. For the 3-game tournament, Nurse scored 19 points and grabbed 10 boards.

Some observations on her game: It's easy to forget Kia is 17 years old playing against older, more experienced international players. She's in this situation because she's mature enough to handle it. She never looked overwhelmed and shouldn't be overwhelmed playing on college basketball's biggest stage. The experience she is gaining will far exceed anything others have gained playing AAU ball.

She has good size and above-average speed; she handles the ball well and seems to enjoy playing defense. She shoots well from mid-range, and not as well on 3-pointers. The FIBA 3-point line is farther from the hoop than the 3-point line in college so that might help her shooting at UConn. She's an aggressive, physical player who is not afraid to mix it up and is willing to set screens to get her teammates open. When Canada's offense broke down Nurse often would take the ball to the hoop without much success. I'm sure she was trying to draw contact and get to the foul line. She'll learn when it's good to do that.

Nurse will be playing with a lot more talent at UConn than she's currently playing with on Team Canada. She should be a very good player at UConn. How good and how much she plays as a freshman will depend on her ability to make shots.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just to wrap this thread up, Turkey won the tournament with an 84-80 OT win over Australia. Turkey was led by its 6-4 center who scored 32 points (3-6 on 3-pointers). I've not read how Cambage did though it sounds like she struggled to guard Turkey's center. Rachel Jarry led Australia in scoring. BTW, Lara Sanders, formerly LaToya Pringle (UNC Tarheel), plays for Turkey and had a solid game.

Reaction Score
Canada lost to Brazil 65-56 this morning. Nurse scored 6 points and grabbed 2 rebounds. For the 3-game tournament, Nurse scored 19 points and grabbed 10 boards.

Some observations on her game: It's easy to forget Kia is 17 years old playing against older, more experienced international players. She's in this situation because she's mature enough to handle it. She never looked overwhelmed and shouldn't be overwhelmed playing on college basketball's biggest stage. The experience she is gaining will far exceed anything others have gained playing AAU ball.

She has good size and above-average speed; she handles the ball well and seems to enjoy playing defense. She shoots well from mid-range, and not as well on 3-pointers. The FIBA 3-point line is farther from the hoop than the 3-point line in college so that might help her shooting at UConn. She's an aggressive, physical player who is not afraid to mix it up and is willing to set screens to get her teammates open. When Canada's offense broke down Nurse often would take the ball to the hoop without much success. I'm sure she was trying to draw contact and get to the foul line. She'll learn when it's good to do that.

Nurse will be playing with a lot more talent at UConn than she's currently playing with on Team Canada. She should be a very good player at UConn. How good and how much she plays as a freshman will depend on her ability to make shots.

UCC: while reading your post to my wife, I commented to her that you seem like such a solid person and a clear thinker; and I added how pleasing it is to sense that you appear to be a person first and a gender (or an age, or a color, or a nationality, or an income bracket, or a hyphen, or a political party partisan, etc. ad nauseam) second. If I'm correct in that assessment, I send a tip of the cap. Nice to see people taking small but important steps toward re-uniting our once united states and nation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just to wrap this thread up, Turkey won the tournament with an 84-80 OT win over Australia. Turkey was led by its 6-4 center who scored 32 points (3-6 on 3-pointers). I've not read how Cambage did though it sounds like she struggled to guard Turkey's center. Rachel Jarry led Australia in scoring. BTW, Lara Sanders, formerly LaToya Pringle (UNC Tarheel), plays for Turkey and had a solid game.
she changed her name or was that a typo/misprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom