Can we please stop with "the way Edsall left" complaints. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can we please stop with "the way Edsall left" complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Time heals all wounds. Winning heals them faster. Even though I was hoping for a successful D-1 HC to step in and recruit a higher caliber athlete it looks like UConn just can't afford it so here's to hoping Edsall can do better this time around. Make this your "dream job" Randy.
Your BEST post so far re RE. If there is a UConn FB in our future then RE needs to succeed.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I am sure that 80% of the team knew Todman was going pro. I know I assumed he was gone. And it is not like making this type of announcement is a hardship - I am sure Jordan was thrilled to be announcing he was going to play in the NFL after a new years day bowl.

By not announcing before the game & during the game the build up was all about the team & the game. Not about a coach cashing in or a star RB who is going "to the next level".

If any of the players still feels mislead or lied to, I guess I get it, but they need to forgive and move on. For any fan that harbors ill will, I do not get it. Coaches leave all the time.

Reaction Score
Screw Diaco, but the story can be told from different perspectives, just as the story of Randy's exit can be. If you think something happened in the 3 weeks to get Diaco fired, more power to you; however, it is apparent to anyone with a brain, that they waited to be close enough to make it effective Jan. 2 so as to not have to pay more.

Your narrative above is not supported by the statements of AD Benedict. Benedict stated he had no intention of firing Diaco after the season ending game with Tulane. It was only after a couple of weeks of counsel with Diaco that AD Benedict determined a new direction was needed.

So what changed in the those few weeks (other than the reduced buy out)? It is an established fact Jerry Kill was brought in to interview for the OC position. It is also highly likely AD Benedict was using his former relationship with Kill at Minnesota to try and sell him. However, Diaco refuses to agree to hiring Kill as the OC and wanted to maintain complete control of all hirings.

Diaco's refusal to change and give a little is what lead to his firing now. This statement is supported by the known facts...or you can just make up your own narrative of Diaco's firing to support your argument.

Reaction Score
Edsall showed zero class. He acted like a piece of human garbage. Edsall cared about Edsalll and f#cked his players. Don't be fooled by the fact the players acted graciously, that doesn't excuse Edsall.

He also royally f#cked the program. A couple of decent seasons and I have no doubt that the winds of conference realignment would have landed us safely in the ACC or Big10. No doubt at all.

That being said, I am super pumped that he is back.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Edsall showed zero class. He acted like a piece of human garbage. Edsall cared about Edsalll and f#cked his players. Don't be fooled by the fact the players acted graciously, that doesn't excuse Edsall.

From such classy piece of like yourself.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Screw Diaco, but the story can be told from different perspectives, just as the story of Randy's exit can be. If you think something happened in the 3 weeks to get Diaco fired, more power to you; however, it is apparent to anyone with a brain, that they waited to be close enough to make it effective Jan. 2 so as to not have to pay more.
How do I type with no brain?

Why did they post the OC position - just to play along?

Why wasn't a hire made?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Your narrative above is not supported by the statements of AD Benedict. Benedict stated he had no intention of firing Diaco after the season ending game with Tulane. It was only after a couple of weeks of counsel with Diaco that AD Benedict determined a new direction was needed.

So what changed in the those few weeks (other than the reduced buy out)? It is an established fact Jerry Kill was brought in to interview for the OC position. It is also highly likely AD Benedict was using his former relationship with Kill at Minnesota to try and sell him. However, Diaco refuses to agree to hiring Kill as the OC and wanted to maintain complete control of all hirings.

Diaco's refusal to change and give a little is what lead to his firing now. This statement is supported by the known facts...or you can just make up your own narrative of Diaco's firing to support your argument.

And how do you know for sure that Diaco refused to hire Kill? Kill is now at a job making a LOT more than what UConn was paying their previous OC, so I am not 100% sure he was ever really going to come here, despite Benedict's sway.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Boom, apology made. This topic should NEVER come up again.

C

Chief00

It showed poor judgement and frankly a character flaw - but I am ready to move on.

Reaction Score
Ok, I think we can stop now! That was a great press conference, he couldn't of done any better than that IMO

Reaction Score
And how do you know for sure that Diaco refused to hire Kill? Kill is now at a job making a LOT more than what UConn was paying their previous OC, so I am not 100% sure he was ever really going to come here, despite Benedict's sway.
AD Benedict has stated on numerous occasions that firing a coach at the 3 year mark hurts a programs's long term hiring prospects. Most coaches are looking for a least a 4 year window to turn a programs around.

AD Benedict made it abundantly clear he wanted to bring Diaco back but he needed to see changes which would put UConn football back on course. Clearly Diaco did not show those changes or see the problems in the same manner as the AD.

As for Kill he clearly knows AD Benedict and he interviewed for the OC job at UConn. Kill subsequently interviewed at Rutgers and accepted the OC position. Obviously Kill was open to accepting an OC position and interviewed at UConn first. Also, it been well documented that Diaco was not in favor of the Kill hire and wanted to bring in someone else.

I suppose you can argue had Diaco approved the Kill hire, Kill still would have turned the job down but that is not really the point is it? The point is Diaco did not want to administer the changes AD Benedict thought needed to happen and so he was dismissed. Diaco may have been fired next year anyways but he forced UConn's hand this year.

Reaction Score
Lane Kiffen fired as Bama offensive coordinator. The FAU hire was too much of a distraction. He wasnt all in with the Tides NC game. Turns out Randy was pretty smart about not telling anyone he was leaving for Maryland.

Reaction Score
Don't care how he left, but am concerned about his record at UCONN. The fact he only beat one ranked team is a major concern. Will he bring UCONN back to respectability? Probably. If we want to be a regular in the top 25, is he the right coach? I am still in the wait and see mode like many of the fans here.

Reaction Score
Are you seriously pretending you would have not criticized Edsall for getting on the plane to Maryland had he not had Todman tell his teammates he was leaving? Or you just don't think people here notice how hypocritical you are?

Todman made it worse. It showed Edsall to be a complete hypocrite. Sure it would have been bad if he only left the team alone on the plane wondering what had happened. Yep, that could have been plenty bad.

Do you have a point?

BTW, calling me a hypocrite makes me wonder if you understand the definition of hypocrite. If you need to figure it out, you can start with Edsall's actions. They are the essence of hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
Todman made it worse. It showed Edsall to be a complete hypocrite. Sure it would have been bad if he only left the team alone on the plane wondering what had happened. Yep, that could have been plenty bad.

Do you have a point?

BTW, calling me a hypocrite makes me wonder if you understand the definition of hypocrite. If you need to figure it out, you can start with Edsall's actions. They are the essence of hypocrisy.
Maybe Randy should have told the team and told them that Maryland had demanded that he not break the news til their announcement at their press conference. He could have asked them not to tweet about it and I'm sure they would have kept it quiet. Yeah, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom