Can we please stop with "the way Edsall left" complaints. | The Boneyard

Can we please stop with "the way Edsall left" complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of all the things to be upset with regarding the hire of RE, the way he left should not be one of them.So let's review that scenario one more time:

1. The University of Maryland, I'm sure wanted to "announce" Randy Edsall as their new head coach.
They wanted to be the ones who broke the news, not some Twitter happy players.

2. Had they broken the story before the Fiesta Bowl, Randy Edsall probably wouldn't have been allowed to coach UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl, as is the usual practice when coaches move on to other programs.

3. Just a guess here, but pretty sure RE wanted to be on the sidelines with the Huskies against Oklahoma and asked Maryland for some help in the timing. Sure, just don't tell anyone.

Therefore:

4. The only way for him to coach that game, in the Twitter, text and Facebook era, was to keep his intentions secret until he was on campus at Maryland the next day. Otherwise, the Terrapin Nation probably would have demanded that he be named immediately after they offered, even if it prevented him from coachng in the Fiesta Bowl (besides that was UConn's decision). Possibly his deal depended on that shroud of secrecy.

5. Hence, he left a bunch of grown men (not Cub Scouts) to fly to Maryland soon after the end of the game. Guessing the players understood the nature of this business and handled it more like grown ups than the fans. Again, this is a business and it's played by big boys, so why did he get crucified by UConn fans?

So while there is a lot to be upset about with Randy's return (for example, if Nobel Thomas was coming back, he be a downfield blocker with 26 receptions rather than 101), how he left is not one of them.

Reaction Score
Of all the things to be upset with regarding the hire of RE, the way he left should not be one of them.So let's review that scenario one more time:

1. The University of Maryland, I'm sure wanted to "announce" Randy Edsall as their new head coach.

2. Had they broken the story before the Fiesta Bowl, Randy Edsall probably wouldn't have been allowed to coach UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl, as is the usual practice when coaches move on to other programs.

3. Just a guess here, but pretty sure RE wanted to be on the sidelines with the Huskies against Oklahoma and asked Maryland for some help in the timing. Sure, just don't tell anyone.

Therefore:

4. The only way for him to coach that game, in the Twitter, text and Facebook era, was to keep his intentions secret until he was on campus at Maryland the next day. Otherwise, the Terrapin Nation probably would have demanded that he be named immediately after they offered, even if it prevented him from coachng in the Fiesta Bowl (besides that was UConn's decision). Possibly his deal depended on that shroud of secrecy.

5. Hence, he left a bunch of grown men (not Cub Scouts) to fly to Maryland soon after the end of the game. Guessing the players understood the nature of this business and handled it more like grown ups than the fans. Again, this is a business and it's played by big boys, so why did he get crucified by UConn fans?

So while there is a lot to be upset about with Randy's return (for example, if Nobel Thomas was coming back, he be a downfield blocker with 26 receptions rather than 101), how he left is not one of them.

Well said

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
This is a different take on this. Pretty deep. Maybe I was more upset about Randy leaving me than leaving the team.
Therapy time....again in the Boneyard.
Good post, although I still don't really like the way he left.

Reaction Score
I really don't care about how he left. Plenty of coaches have done worse.

I care whether he can be successful again here. And I have serious doubts.

Reaction Score

Therefore:

TDH, no problem with your thread but you should understand the way he left exposed a character flaw many had not seen. Randy was always a strait shooter and nobody can argue how well he handled the Jazz situation. It is obvious to even marginal college football fans when a coach is moving on it has to be kept secret for a myriad of reasons for a period of time. The toe stub that pizzed off most I am sure was making Todman say he was moving on post game and not doing the same himself. At that point he lost his credibility of we are one.
I am over it and will move on, for others I can see how he lost their trust. Coach is simply another word for teacher, he had his worst teaching moment in that locker room and many only remember the low points. You as a proclaimed UConn football fan have to put on your big boy pants and realize that complaint will fade to the bottom of the pile of all the others you will see here in the next few years. Complaining about complaints on this forum? ;) :confused: Head bang

Reaction Score
I've plenty of angst over this hire, mainly because it's hard to capture lightning in a bottle twice. I do however think we had a fun, unique situation with him here. After Dan, we always seemed to be missing the qb component. He figures that out along with producing the type players he had at other positions, then every year we'll be in contention in the AAC. I will definitely be 100% behind this come national signing day. It's just taking me a bit to warm up.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Therefore:

First....nice to read a TDH post about something other than UConn's need for offense ;) (which by the way I agree with)

Second...I agree...how he left is meaningless in the scheme of things.

Lastly, your comment about Thomas reminded me about RE's quirks...like why it took so long for Easley to get on the field....or that he has never faked a field goal (wait...that night be a good quirk).

Reaction Score

Therefore:

Can we please stop with the threads demanding there be no more "The way Edall left" threads? No one has put a gun to your head and made you click on those threads. So why do you insist on telling people what to do?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
What stuck with me is how he made Todman tell the team he was leaving but the team found out he was leaving in the newspaper

And Uconn's admin just waited for 3 weeks until the day after christmas to dick over their coach for $2million via phone call. It cuts both ways. It was far from the worst exit in sports history (Petrino from the Falcons akd Kiffinfrom Tenn).

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
First....nice to read a TDH post about something other than UConn's need for offense ;) (which by the way I agree with)

Second...I agree...how he left is meaningless in the scheme of things.

Lastly, your comment about Thomas reminded me about RE's quirks...like why it took so long for Easley to get on the field....or that he has never faked a field goal (wait...that night be a good quirk).

Yes, but has he ever fake faked a field goal?

Reaction Score
Can we please stop with the threads demanding there be no more "The way Edall left" threads? No one has put a gun to your head and made you click on those threads. So why do you insist on telling people what to do?
How about you go . . . Oh wait, that would be me telling people what to do again, huh? Let the whining about how he left continue.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
And Uconn's admin just waited for 3 weeks until the day after christmas to dick over their coach for $2million via phone call. It cuts both ways. It was far from the worst exit in sports history (Petrino from the Falcons akd Kiffinfrom Tenn).
How exactly did UConn dick over Diaco - because of the three weeks - are you Mrs Golic?

Did it occur to you that something may have occurred during those three weeks that forced the AD's hand?

Diaco dicked over the program

Reaction Score
It. Just. Doesnt. Even. Matter. Anymore.
Agreed - all he has to do is win, bring us back to respectability nationally, and handle his team, the media, and himself honorably. I think he can do it. Time will tell.

Reaction Score

Therefore:

Edsall showed zero class. He acted like a piece of human garbage. Edsall cared about Edsalll and f#cked his players. Don't be fooled by the fact the players acted graciously, that doesn't excuse Edsall.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
How exactly did UConn dick over Diaco - because of the three weeks - are you Mrs Golic?

Did it occur to you that something may have occurred during those three weeks that forced the AD's hand?

Diaco dicked over the program

Screw Diaco, but the story can be told from different perspectives, just as the story of Randy's exit can be. If you think something happened in the 3 weeks to get Diaco fired, more power to you; however, it is apparent to anyone with a brain, that they waited to be close enough to make it effective Jan. 2 so as to not have to pay more.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Edsall showed zero class. He acted like a piece of human garbage. Edsall cared about Edsalll and f#cked his players. Don't be fooled by the fact the players acted graciously, that doesn't excuse Edsall.

man. No, he did not act like "human garbage". That is for people like Aaron Hernandez. Come on man. I've already given 2 examples of much worse exits in this thread even.

Reaction Score
Agreed - all he has to do is win, bring us back to respectability nationally, and handle his team, the media, and himself honorably. I think he can do it. Time will tell.
Time heals all wounds. Winning heals them faster. Even though I was hoping for a successful D-1 HC to step in and recruit a higher caliber athlete it looks like UConn just can't afford it so here's to hoping Edsall can do better this time around. Make this your "dream job" Randy.

Reaction Score
man. No, he did not act like "human garbage". That is for people like Aaron Hernandez. Come on man. I've already given 2 examples of much worse exits in this thread even.
He made Jordan Todman stand in front of the entire team and say he was leaving early. He did this after lecturing Todman about his responsibility to his teammates.

Then within hours, he didn't show up for the flight home leaving the players to wonder where he was, if he was okay, and then they learned he had run out on them by tweeet.

That pretty much a garbage move. Who cares if other people were worse. That's not the point.

Reaction Score
He made Jordan Todman stand in front of the entire team and say he was leaving early. He did this after lecturing Todman about his responsibility to his teammates.

Then within hours, he didn't show up for the flight home leaving the players to wonder where he was, if he was okay, and then they learned he had run out on them by tweeet.

That pretty much a garbage move. Who cares if other people were worse. That's not the point.

Are you seriously pretending you would have not criticized Edsall for getting on the plane to Maryland had he not had Todman tell his teammates he was leaving? Or you just don't think people here notice how hypocritical you are?

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

It was classless, yes. I bet he regrets it. He didn't "F" his players any more than any other coach who has left their program, everything else is just about people's feelings. Who cares?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

Are you seriously pretending you would have not criticized Edsall for getting on the plane to Maryland had he not had Todman tell his teammates he was leaving? Or you just don't think people here notice how hypocritical you are?

Also, were you in the room? Was JT pushed up and surprised by what HCRE was doing? Or, maybe, was that something that the two of them had discussed previously and JT was given an opportunity?

I don't remember the details about it and wasn't there, I just see the vitrol that folks have about HCRE for that moment in time. If anyone has that detail I would be glad to be enlightened.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wasn't this already addressed in the press release?

I mostly agree that fans need to move on, but even Edsall admitted that the situation could have been handled better. I don't care one way or the other, but if I had my druthers, I'd would have preferred he fly back to CT with the team. It's not like Maryland and Connecticut are on opposite sides of the country. The flight time from Phoenix is negligible and it's only an hour from BDL to BWI. It just looked bad.

To be honest, I'm more upset with Edsall's departure because it left the responsibility to fill the roll with Jeff Hathaway, who was about to duckked it up. Yes, there is the benefit of hindsight, but you didn't have to be Nostradamus beforehand to see that coming.

If memory serves, Didn't the search committee recommended Mark Whipple, and Hathaway went against them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom