Can UConn win its next 16 games? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can UConn win its next 16 games?

Reaction Score
Well, now we know. Yes, they can win 16. And we also know they are the best team this year in wcbb. But for fear of offending mojo, I won't say that. :rolleyes: They could lose; the best team does not always win. The best team did not win that Stanford game in 2014. But if you bet against them, make sure it's monopoly money.

So let's renew the question. Can Uconn win the NEXT 16 games? I say, "Yes"!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It was interesting to go back in time, to read our comments. Most of us were spot on in our assessments and observations about the team's short term future.
As close as most of us were, none of us saw the team undefeated at this point in the season. Too many variables and unknowns then. All of us were being optimistic as well as realistic in our observations.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pardon the smug smile on my face but here's an article from April 2016 with the headline "UConn Women's Basketball Dynasty is Over"

One of the Most Dominant Runs in Sports History Is Almost Over
Muffet thought there would be at least a hiatus, but the Core Four have been clutch, like the Yankees' group. With Azura, Batouly, Megan, et al. coming in, I am reminded of Yogi's statement that "It ain't over 'til it's over." The future looks good for another 3-5 years, at least.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know when I've ever seen someone be so totally wrong.
I actually disagree - I think it was a pretty solid review/preview and the only thing he was really off base about was Geno retiring. He underestimated perhaps the drive of Gabby, Lou, and Napheesa, but its not as if most others didn't as well, including their coach. And while we are still all high from 91, an NC is not a given with a match up against any one of the ranked teams we have beaten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
IMHO many of us posters came up with a loss of two-- not so much from saying we have less talent and depth--but observing 6-8 teams loaded with talented returning starters (more than UConn), gaining elite transfers who were becoming eligible, and recruiting 24 out of the top 25 players in the country (we got CD, the super 8 teams got many of the rest.)
Simply put, IMO, we over estimated the productivity and effectiveness of these 8 loaded teams. Those elite 8 teams did not come through and UConn as a team over compensated to our surprise--even Geno was surprised.
This just solidifies Geno's bottom line----the 5 top AA recruits playing for a certain school will not beat the BEST TEAM.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I doubt it. If Morgan came back maybe. But too many land mines in the first part of the year. I forget who we play but Stanford, Baylor, SC, ND and Maryland?
Well I was flat out wrong. The team put the finishing touch on surpassing the previous record, held by several former UCONN classes. This streak has extended over 3 seasons but we wouldn't be talking about it if not for the tremendous play of the current team, in a year that many thought would be a "rebuilding" year, and a "season to finally get UCONN"... So incredibly impressed!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well I was flat out wrong. The team put the finishing touch on surpassing the previous record, held by several former UCONN classes. This streak has extended over 3 seasons but we wouldn't be talking about it if not for the tremendous play of the current team, in a year that many thought would be a "rebuilding" year, and a "season to finally get UCONN"... So incredibly impressed!!

The likelihood of what this team has accomplished to this point, was just not fathomable for any of us back in June. PhillyCoach nailed it saying:
"many of us posters came up with a loss of two-- not so much from saying we have less talent and depth--but observing 6-8 teams loaded with talented returning starters (more than UConn), gaining elite transfers who were becoming eligible, and recruiting 24 out of the top 25 players in the country (we got CD, the super 8 teams got many of the rest.) Simply put, IMO, we over estimated the productivity and effectiveness of these 8 loaded teams. Those elite 8 teams did not come through and UConn as a team over compensated to our surprise".

We over estimated the competition (and their anticipated success), and under estimated our girls. The odds of them going 16-0 to begin the season, was just not reasonable to a rationally thinking and informed fan. The odds were just too great to fathom and run like this. Surely one or two of the Goliaths on the OOC schedule would prevail. They had the size, experience and depth to overcome any resistance UConn could mount. After all, UConn lost its 3 best players. If you remember last year, we would get glimpses of next year's team when Geno would clear the bench in garbage time, and usually it didn't look promising. So, based on that (the eye test), what were we to think? The core of their team now is unproven. Several posters said that THIS YEAR, Geno would have to do some of his finest coaching, they were right, and he has.

Remember the old Nike commercial in the 90's with Michael Jordan and Spike Lee?...."It's gotta be the shoes"!! Thinking along those lines: It's gotta be the system, because the players keep coming and going through that revolving door. I'd really like to see them run the table right on through to next season.
Just think of what the critics/naysayers would say if THAT happened. You think one or two of them would say how bad for WCBB a 5th consecutive national championship for UConn is. How "unfair" to the rest of WCBB it is.

To me, it would just drive home the fact that Geno has figured it out, and the other coaches have not. Let's hope the "haters" have reason to express those thoughts and opinions after the season. For now, it's on to Tulsa, go Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was scrolling through in the hope that I had replied in this post. Unfortunately I didn't reply to this post but I did to others that were along the same lines. I know that I didn't automatically predict an unbeaten season but was stunned by the talk of a number of losses this year. I thought that most every team in the country was going to lose some talented players to graduation though obviously our three losses were big, big ones. I seem to remember that a loss or two was "possible" but wasn't necessarily something that would happen and in retrospect, I'm pretty happy with my mindset from then. We do have Geno and Chris and had some talented kids with one year's experience behind them though I felt that Napheesa underachieved last year. KLS had started off slowly and was surprisingly not shooting well in the early part of last year but then turned a corner and was playing at a high level by the end of the year and improving appreciably on the defensive end. Gabby was showing some skills and confidence though her shooting was still needing work. Kia's steady leadership and good defense were givens and I thought Butler could be a big factor. Anyway, we are playing some wonderful ball and the team has gelled wonderfully though we could use a bit more depth and a key injury could be really bad news.

Reaction Score
Hey - we're not "settlers." High expectations produce high achievement. Ditto reduced expectations. I say, "Go for it!"

Butler gets with the program and becomes a serious D1 5 player, Gabby continues her stellar learning curve, Kia grows up MORE and takes it to a whole new level from playing for the Canadian Olympic team, the 2 super sophs KLS and Collier become All Americans, and Dangerfield shows she really is dangerous! All but the 3 incoming frosh have already tasted it - you think THEY are gonna settle? NC is the ONLY destination
Oh ye of little faith....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Just think of what the critics/naysayers would say if THAT happened. You think one or two of them would say how bad for WCBB a 5th consecutive national championship for UConn is. How "unfair" to the rest of WCBB it is.
Yes, I think if UConn wins it this year the resentment index will go through the stratosphere. Not merely because of the five in a row, but because that will be followed with not one but two impactful transfer bigs, coupled with the number one recruit coming out of HS. With any kind of chemistry at all, next year UConn will be monstrous, and will probably be the following year as well.

It's a PR nightmare! :eek: :confused: :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, I think if UConn wins it this year the resentment index will go through the stratosphere. Not merely because of the five in a row, but because that will be followed with not one but two impactful transfer bigs, coupled with the number one recruit coming out of HS. With any kind of chemistry at all, next year UConn will be monstrous, and will probably be the following year as well.

It's a PR nightmare! :eek: :confused: :D

I have had these thoughts flit across my screen more than once. Then I think: If we lost 1, 2, 3 games would it matter in public perceptions? UConn is UConn and its fans are its fans. Tenn just got 4 AA recruits. Go win with them or shut up! Same for the rest of them. I plan on reveling in every win, no matter how long the streak (and irrespective of the streak).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom