Can UConn win its next 16 games? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can UConn win its next 16 games?

Reaction Score
I really think with Nurse, KLS, Collier, Gabby, Butler, Saniya, Ekmark, Crystal Dangerfield, Irwin, Bent, plus the best coaching staff in Division I WCBB, that we will be better prepared than most teams on our schedule!
It may take a month or so but UCONN's tough as hell defense will carry us until the offense rounds into shape.
I have faith that Saniya, Butler, & Ekmark will realize that so much depends on them that in the off season, they will re-invent themselves to what their records show they once were and can be again!

Come February, & March we will be a tough out in the tournaments!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Sports Illustrated which I received today agrees. They have UCONN in that top 5 [number 3 actualy] for next year behind ND and Baylor.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm afraid an old adage will raise up its ugly head next year: "you really don't miss something (someone) until they're gone". :oops:

We got a preview of what next year's team may look like every time Geno cleared the bench in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand having this discussion, especially since it is a long time until the next season, but breaking the current streak or not I think is at this point irrelevant. It is already established how great a dynasty UCONN is, how wonderful all the players and coaches are, to a degree of whether we add a few more games to the streak will have little historical significance since we would be breaking UCONN's mark not some other team. And UCONN will continue to have the top three longest streaks in women's college basketball probably in perpetuity, just as no one will ever win 4 championships in a row and no other program will ever get to 11 total. UCONN is already so great that a bit more will not add to its luster. To paraphrase Stewie, " we accomplished what we set out to do." Having said all that, I will still root mightily for them to win everything in the future.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some stats:
1. 20.1 points, 10.4 rebounds, 162 assists, 44 blocks, 46 steals in 52 minutes per game (Team scoring 74.8 ppg, rebounding 42.0)
2. 24.7 points, 9.1 rebounds, 187 assists, 41 blocks, 60 steals in 56 minutes per game (Team scoring 75.5 ppg, rebounding 39.3)
2. 17.8 points, 8.6 rebounds, 116 assists, 53 blocks, 88 steals in 41 minutes per game (Team scoring 88.1 ppg, rebounding 40.7)

Those stats are #1 Ann Strother and Barb Turner's freshman stats, #2 Ann and Barb's sophomore stats, #3 Lou and Napheesa's Freshman stats

Ann was USA Today player of the year as a senior and Barb was on their first team so not far off the ratings of Lou and Napheesa. Ann started and Barb was primarily coming off the bench though she had 8 starts as a freshman. By sophomore year the were both starters. And in 2004 we as fans were mourning the graduation of DT and Maria, but pretty excited about what Ann and Barb would do as juniors as well as the rest of the two/three time championship winning roster, and the arrival of very highly rated scoring machine Charde Houston and very fast PG Ketia Swanier, Heart of a Husky Mel Thomas, and Juco transfer Rashidat Sadiq. The team was only replacing two starters, one iconic and one a very smart if athletically challenged guard.
And the team would have been working on a sixth NC in a row if not for those injuries in 2001, as it was we owned the NC trophy with 4 in 5 years.

If any of this sounds familiar ....
Just please let us not put too many expectations on a young team next year. Ann and Barb were great players and each won two NCs at Uconn, but they are tainted in many peoples memory because of the mountains they didn't climb, instead of the glorious ones they did. They brought to Uconn as much team glory as Maya, and Stef, and Bria, Sue, and Swin, and Asjha, more than Shea, and Sveta, and Renee, and Rebecca, and Jen, and Kara. Without them we have a two way debate between Stewart and Moore.

Lou and Napheesa and Gabby and Kia and all the rest of the returning team are great, and Dangerfield, Bent, and Irwin are exciting additions to the family. Next year is going to be wonderful, but it is a daunting task ahead of them all, and we in our homes who are not called upon to shed a drop of sweat should not add the burden of unreal expectations to our enjoyment of really remarkable players.

Reaction Score
Defense is due for a measurable drop-off without Stewart and Jefferson, perhaps the two best defenders in the country.
You're right on here Sluconn. IMO, 75% of UConn's defense was Stewart playing goalie. Jefferson was great on the perimeter but the rest gave up way too much penetration into the paint where Stewart cleaned out a lot. There will have to be a lot of sub rotation on the interior because there will be a lot of fouling without Tuck's great positioning and communication. Hopefully they'll improve throughout the season with experience and be ready by March.

Reaction Score
I believe there are 16 conference games next year, versus 18 this year. And with Courtney Williams leaving, Connecticut is likely to go 16-0 again in the league.

So does Connecticut win its rematch with Notre Dame next year? I say no. That's a loss. They have everyone coming back, plus to amazing freshmen, plus an even more experienced starting five.

Does Connecticut win against South Carolina? Not sure. A'ja Wilson will be there, though the guards are mostly gone. A loss?

LSU, Nebraska, Kansas State, and Chattanooga should all be wins.

DePaul? Not sure.

Maryland? That should be a loss.

Ohio State? Even with their perennially poor showing against Connecticut, they are going to be absolutely loaded. I think UConn goes in as an underdog in that one.

Florida State minus Bulgak? Might work.

But I'm guessing that during the regular season (no deep analysis, mind you) that Connecticut loses four of five games next year. Still should compute to a 24-5 record. But we can't expect miracles. Right?

Notre Dame does not have everyone coming back. Madison Cable, Michaela Mabrey aand Hannah Huffman graduate. For USF it's Courtney Williams, Alisia Jenkins and Sherry Stringfield. Baylor loses Nya Johnson.

Reaction Score
As noted above some of UCONN's biggest competition are losing key cogs to their program just as UCONN is losing our Big 3+1!
I think whomever settles their graduation loses and gets their chemistry right faster will have the most success.
But I'm betting on our coaching staff to get the experienced members of the team to jell with the new blood to outwork everyone else as they've done in the past to give UCONN the best chances to win!
I posted earlier about the baseball expression, "you'll usually play up to the stats on the back of your baseball card!" And I fully expect all our girls to play up to the stats they've established previously!
See my earlier post #49 above.

Reaction Score
If expectations can't be lowered for next year they never will be.
Hey - we're not "settlers." High expectations produce high achievement. Ditto reduced expectations. I say, "Go for it!"

Butler gets with the program and becomes a serious D1 5 player, Gabby continues her stellar learning curve, Kia grows up MORE and takes it to a whole new level from playing for the Canadian Olympic team, the 2 super sophs KLS and Collier become All Americans, and Dangerfield shows she really is dangerous! All but the 3 incoming frosh have already tasted it - you think THEY are gonna settle? NC is the ONLY destination

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
you think THEY are gonna settle? NC is the ONLY destination

I think talk of a national title for next year's team is way too much, and I bet even Geno would scoff at the notion. Not that that isn't the GOAL for every season, but expectation? Rather they be allowed to play with limited expectations and just develop. After all, basically the same team in '17 plus the freshmen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno would indeed scoff at the notion of a NC caliber team, at least as of now. We'll see what he says in October. From comments the returning players have made, they are conceding nothing.

I agree that the OOC schedule is loaded, but I think only a couple of road games are problematic. Yes, winning the next 16 looks very tough. But suppose for a minute that we do. How discouraging would that be to the other teams? :D:D

Reaction Score
Geno would indeed scoff at the notion of a NC caliber team, at least as of now. We'll see what he says in October. From comments the returning players have made, they are conceding nothing.

I agree that the OOC schedule is loaded, but I think only a couple of road games are problematic. Yes, winning the next 16 looks very tough. But suppose for a minute that we do. How discouraging would that be to the other teams? :D:D

Hey Milford - I heard what you just said and I get where you are coming from. Geno would absolutely scoff at the notion that the team was a NC caliber in October. He would never, ever say it because the team would not be where Geno knows they have to be--It's only October-- Remember! Most reasonable people recognize that the OOC is loaded! Geno did not have those 5 cell phones for nothing. The first call was from Baylor and then the other top 15 schools in the nation, (who just recruited 97 of the top 100 players), starting calling to schedule or to remind Geno that they were looking forward to UConn's game. They all had a sheet eating grin!
Anyway, I see 3 to 4 close losses. I see top 8-10 in the polls. I see an elite 8 in the NCAA. However, as you say, "suppose for a minute that UConn keeps winning early. That would be downright cruel and very discouraging if UConn actually did that. Miracles do happen.
When UConn is in the elite 8 then the gloves come off. As all the nervous nellies before the final 4 games said repeatedly---- Anything can happen! I agree. This year 3 new teams broke through in their own unique way. AT a minimum, I see UConn just like those 3 other final 4 teams. There is a chance and anything can happen. House money at that point.
Sounds reasonable to me, but what do I know!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn will not be nearly as dominant as they were this year. Next year will be a rebuilding one. That is the perception around the country. Some believe that's why Kim Mulkey (Baylor) waited until next season to put UConn on their schedule. She wanted no part of what UConn was handing out this year.

In all fairness, she wanted no part of any other top 10 team, other than Texas.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Notre Dame does not have everyone coming back. Madison Cable, Michaela Mabrey aand Hannah Huffman graduate. For USF it's Courtney Williams, Alisia Jenkins and Sherry Stringfield. Baylor loses Nya Johnson.

Notre Dame loses a couple of key players, but they have some super talent coming in that will more than offset what they lose.

I believe that Niya Johnson proved to be a liability against most of the better teams due to her unwillingness to shoot the ball. I think Jones will move over to the point and with Wallace, Chou and Prince on the wings and Davis and probably Brown playing the 4 and 5 spots Baylor will be a better offensive team. Wallace, Chou and Prince are all good shooters and Wallace is a very good passer. I am hoping to see the same out of Chou, and hopefully Landrum. Baylor also has Alexandria Gulley, who Kim was very high on before she was injured in HS. What little I saw of her last season gave me hope that when healthy she will be a valuable contributor at the PG position.

Baylor should go deep 9 - 10 with Jones, Wallace, Chou, Prince, Cohen, Davis, Brown, Mompremier, Cox and Cave.. If Cohen can come back ready to knock down the 15 footer she will add a lot of value next season as she is very athletic at 6-2 and is a good defender and rebounder. It may be hard for Gulley or Landrum to get much time at PG with Jones running the show but hopefully they get enough playing time to be ready for the season after.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hey Milford - I heard what you just said and I get where you are coming from. Geno would absolutely scoff at the notion that the team was a NC caliber in October. He would never, ever say it because the team would not be where Geno knows they have to be--It's only October-- Remember! Most reasonable people recognize that the OOC is loaded! Geno did not have those 5 cell phones for nothing. The first call was from Baylor and then the other top 15 schools in the nation, (who just recruited 97 of the top 100 players), starting calling to schedule or to remind Geno that they were looking forward to UConn's game. They all had a sheet eating grin!
Anyway, I see 3 to 4 close losses. I see top 8-10 in the polls. I see an elite 8 in the NCAA. However, as you say, "suppose for a minute that UConn keeps winning early. That would be downright cruel and very discouraging if UConn actually did that. Miracles do happen.
When UConn is in the elite 8 then the gloves come off. As all the nervous nellies before the final 4 games said repeatedly---- Anything can happen! I agree. This year 3 new teams broke through in their own unique way. AT a minimum, I see UConn just like those 3 other final 4 teams. There is a chance and anything can happen. House money at that point.
Sounds reasonable to me, but what do I know!

PhillyCoach - Allow me to chime in here..........

1. The returning players conceding nothing next season makes me a bit more optimistic heading into next season. I like that kind of posture and grit, and I expected as much.

2. No team ever goes into a season trying to go "undefeated". They vow to play every game as hard as they can, leave everything out on the floor, and win as many games as they can, one game at a time.

3. As we all know, all good things must come to an end, it always does. I do however expect UConn to remain a defensive nightmare for most teams. I expect one or two players to really step up and assert themselves next season. Said players should emerge by the Christmas break.

4. With the departure of the three amigos, instead of UConn winning its games by a margin of 30-50 points, their MOV will be reduced to 8-18 points. I expect that margin to increase as the season goes on, especially once conference play begins. By the way, USF loss their two best players (Williams & Jenkins) to graduation also.

5. UConn will be challenged by the top 10 teams on their non-conference schedule. THAT'S when we'll find out how this team stands up to top tier competition. I think the huskies will be better than most people think. Their defense will remain stellar, and I don't look for their per game scoring average to decrease by more than 14 points a game.

6. Most of UConn's shots were taken by the BIG 3. Other players will now assume that roll. Kia, Lou, Napheesa and Gabby will all get more shots per game than ever before. UConn will not be the big bad wolf it has been the last four years, but I think they will be better than a lot of people are projecting them to be.

7. Your loss projection for the year is reasonable, as is you round projection in the NCAA tournament. UConn will be playing with house money in the tournament because no one will be picking them to win anything. But as you say anything can happen. Remember, there's always a dark horse that emerges in the tournament. You never know who its going to be until they go to the whip.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Notre Dame loses a couple of key players, but they have some super talent coming in that will more than offset what they lose.

I believe that Niya Johnson proved to be a liability against most of the better teams due to her unwillingness to shoot the ball. I think Jones will move over to the point and with Wallace, Chou and Prince on the wings and Davis and probably Brown playing the 4 and 5 spots Baylor will be a better offensive team. Wallace, Chou and Prince are all good shooters and Wallace is a very good passer. I am hoping to see the same out of Chou, and hopefully Landrum. Baylor also has Alexandria Gulley, who Kim was very high on before she was injured in HS. What little I saw of her last season gave me hope that when healthy she will be a valuable contributor at the PG position.

Baylor should go deep 9 - 10 with Jones, Wallace, Chou, Prince, Cohen, Davis, Brown, Mompremier, Cox and Cave.. If Cohen can come back ready to knock down the 15 footer she will add a lot of value next season as she is very athletic at 6-2 and is a good defender and rebounder. It may be hard for Gulley or Landrum to get much time at PG with Jones running the show but hopefully they get enough playing time to be ready for the season after.

I fully expect Baylor to be a top 3-5 team next season.

T

TroyHouse66

RSVikes...
<<...I'm betting on our coaching staff to get the experienced members of the team to jell with the new blood to outwork everyone else as they've done in the past....>>
We can't deny many of the last few teams explicitly stating they came to UConn to win NCs.
This, however, slightly overshadows that ALL of Geno's recruits have expressed coming to Storrs to grow into the BEST basketball players that they could be. (... and along the way.. evolve into the best individuals they can)
They ALL come knowing the drill...
"We like your skills as players. You all come with talents & credentials. If you devote yourselves, we believe, together, we can achieve your ultimate goal. You are promised no guarantee of playing time. You are assured of enough time and sweat in practice to establish your role in the Team-scheme. You have no lock on any particular position... The Team will need you (and use your newly developed skills) to play where (and when) you'll be most successful for the Team."

Every year brings a different squad... a different mix.
Does 2016-2017 promise anything? It only promises a schedule... It offers one game at a time for an entire season. The only assurance we have, (based on experience), is that the March team will be better honed than the First Night game.

In Geno we trust. In CD we trust. In devotion we trust.
In Team we believe.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Dont forget that Tuck was in some sense the QB of the defense, constantly vocal.

That's true. One thing we must remember about the UConn women's program. Its a steady progression. I vividly remember Bria Hartley pulling Mo aside and mentoring her about something during a game.
When Bria left, she passed the baton to Mo. Batons (rolls) get passed down from player to player. Tuck probably mentored someone to take over her QB duties. if not, someone will pick it up and run with it. If they need a little help at first, the coaches will help them. Someone will assume Tuck's "team leader" roll. Remember, "Big Momma Stef" had it before her.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't think we can win the next 16 to break the 90 game win streak.....There will be losses.......We don't have the depth of talent and everybody is going to be hunting the Huskies. UConn will get everyone's 'A' game every night out.

But in the end , by March , the Huskies will be a force.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-11_14-1-35.png
    upload_2016-4-11_14-1-35.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 355

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's extremely unlikely. Next year's nonconference schedule is ridiculous. Among the opponents: current AP #2 Notre Dame, #3 South Carolina, #4 Baylor, #5 Maryland, #7 Texas, #9 Ohio State, #17 Florida State, and #20 DePaul.

My early read on next season is that the chase for the national championship will probably be as wide open as it's been in a long, long time. I'm hopeful that Geno can turn UConn into a team that will be among the group of teams in the championship picture come March. But even if he ends up doing that, I don't think it will happen without the team enduring some serious growing pains first, which means I don't expect them to emerge from that nonconference gauntlet unscathed.

I've rarely been so thrilled to be proven wrong. :) Constantly amazed by this team and coaching staff. Congratulations to all of them on #91…and counting! :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Very impressive Milford. Sue said today(don't tell anyone else) that they just might run the table if they get by South Carolina.
I don't want to mess with the mojo, because we have South Carolina and up to 3 good teams in March/April, including Baylor, Maryland, and Notre Dame, but I'm thinking that Lou and Pheesa may not lose. Geno has already said they won't lose next season or the one after that. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom