Can UConn win its next 16 games? | The Boneyard

Can UConn win its next 16 games?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I doubt it. If Morgan came back maybe. But too many land mines in the first part of the year. I forget who we play but Stanford, Baylor, SC, ND and Maryland?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt it. If Morgan came back maybe. But too many land mines in the first part of the year. I forget who we play but Stanford, Baylor, SC, ND and Maryland?
I googled the schedule but couldn't find it.

When I read your list of games, I muttered "Stanford" like Seinfeld muttering Newman.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's extremely unlikely. Next year's nonconference schedule is ridiculous. Among the opponents: current AP #2 Notre Dame, #3 South Carolina, #4 Baylor, #5 Maryland, #7 Texas, #9 Ohio State, #17 Florida State, and #20 DePaul. (Eric, I don't think Stanford's back on the schedule just yet, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

The schedule and dates haven't been set yet, but here's an old Jim Fuller blog post discussing some of the opponents. The Notre Dame and South Carolina renewals have been accomplished since he posted this:

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn/Baylor set to renew series

My early read on next season is that the chase for the national championship will probably be as wide open as it's been in a long, long time. I'm hopeful that Geno can turn UConn into a team that will be among the group of teams in the championship picture come March. But even if he ends up doing that, I don't think it will happen without the team enduring some serious growing pains first, which means I don't expect them to emerge from that nonconference gauntlet unscathed.

Reaction Score
Someone early on posted a list of the top teams this year, including their key returning players and key losses. Can we revive that one? Is it proper time now to talk about next year?

Off the top of my head, the question for UConn is whether we go to the Sweet Sixteen, or the Elite Eight. Going to the Final Four strikes me as a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they can win their next 16 games to break their own record, but I have a feeling that they'll make it back to the Final Four without Morgan Tuck! I think Morgan will announce in the next several days that she's leaving for the WNBA!
I'm disappointed but I think it's the right move for Morgan.

Reaction Score
That's bad for basketball! Haven't you been paying attention!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know if they can win their next 16 games to break their own record, but I have a feeling that they'll make it back to the Final Four without Morgan Tuck! I think Morgan will announce in the next several days that she's leaving for the WNBA!
She did, this morning.

Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's extremely unlikely. Next year's nonconference schedule is ridiculous. Among the opponents: current AP #2 Notre Dame, #3 South Carolina, #4 Baylor, #5 Maryland, #7 Texas, #9 Ohio State, #17 Florida State, and #20 DePaul. (Eric, I don't think Stanford's back on the schedule just yet, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

The schedule and dates haven't been set yet, but here's an old Jim Fuller blog post discussing some of the opponents. The Notre Dame and South Carolina renewals have been accomplished since he posted this:

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn/Baylor set to renew series

My early read on next season is that the chase for the national championship will probably be as wide open as it's been in a long, long time. I'm hopeful that Geno can turn UConn into a team that will be among the group of teams in the championship picture come March. But even if he ends up doing that, I don't think it will happen without the team enduring some serious growing pains first, which means I don't expect them to emerge from that nonconference gauntlet unscathed.

I believe there are 16 conference games next year, versus 18 this year. And with Courtney Williams leaving, Connecticut is likely to go 16-0 again in the league.

So does Connecticut win its rematch with Notre Dame next year? I say no. That's a loss. They have everyone coming back, plus to amazing freshmen, plus an even more experienced starting five.

Does Connecticut win against South Carolina? Not sure. A'ja Wilson will be there, though the guards are mostly gone. A loss?

LSU, Nebraska, Kansas State, and Chattanooga should all be wins.

DePaul? Not sure.

Maryland? That should be a loss.

Ohio State? Even with their perennially poor showing against Connecticut, they are going to be absolutely loaded. I think UConn goes in as an underdog in that one.

Florida State minus Bulgak? Might work.

But I'm guessing that during the regular season (no deep analysis, mind you) that Connecticut loses four of five games next year. Still should compute to a 24-5 record. But we can't expect miracles. Right?

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
That would take it to 91 in a row breaking their own 90 game streak.
There's always a possibility that UCONN can break the record, so instead of a flat out 'NO', which would be my response to going undefeated, .... Maybe.

Whoever we believe the top 3 teams are, that have the greatest chance of beating us, we need to play them in the first 5 games. The season is just starting so everyone is still trying to jell, so take them now. If they win, so what, we thought it would be one or all of them anyway to defeat us. Now the circus is over but if we win, three down. Games 6 thru 11 should be the 3 teams we believe we have the greatest chances of beating. It's time to start working on the areas exposed in the first five games we lucky survived. We will have all the confidence in the world at this time because we took down the big 3. Since South Carolina will probably be scheduled near the end of the season, whoever is left gets place in slots 12 thru 16 and beyond. That's my plan of attack.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone early on posted a list of the top teams this year, including their key returning players and key losses. Can we revive that one? Is it proper time now to talk about next year?

Off the top of my head, the question for UConn is whether we go to the Sweet Sixteen, or the Elite Eight. Going to the Final Four strikes me as a bridge too far.

They got 30+ games over 5 months and the best coach in the game to prepare for March. Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, and, Williams is a talent group of players and with contributions from Chong, Butler, and Dangerfield it is completely plausible for them to make the Final Four. It may depend on match up in the Regional Final whether they get there or not but I don't think making the Final Four is completely out of the question.

Reaction Score
Will be tough without senior leadership. Could see the first conference loss and back to back losses for the first time since 1992(?).

Reaction Score
Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, and, Williams is a talent group of players and with contributions from Chong, Butler, and Dangerfield
Kyla, Kyla, Kyla. Very high motor, coached by her mom with great fundamentals; knows what to expect.

Reaction Score
You mean even Kim got up enough courage to play us next year?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
As long as we don't turn into cannibals like on the Volnation board attacking and mauling each other and the team and coaching staff after ever loss ( I do anticipate there to be a few, 5 maybe more) I will be happy. Hoping to get at least to the Elite 8. What does Baylor's OOC look like and Marylands next year? Anyone know?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kyla, Kyla, Kyla. Very high motor, coached by her mom with great fundamentals; knows what to expect.
Courtney Ekmark also had a father who was a coach and was very solid fundamentally. Unfortunately, injuries slowed her down her 1st year, but this year she was injury free.

As guards go, I certainly would expect Crystal to pass her on the depth chart from day 1, but if Molly passes her as well, it will be unfortunate for Courtney. She has a lot of work to do this summer.

My point was that I certainly hope Kyla is a big surprise, but I would not be surprised to see her contributions be similar to Courtney's this past season...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Will be tough without senior leadership. Could see the first conference loss and back to back losses for the first time since 1992(?).
Who exactly do you think they are going to lose to in conference?

And no way on the back to back losses. Unless they play Baylor, ND and SC in a row, I don't see it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You know the old saying - never say never. But being realistic, UCONN comes back to the pack next year.

We still have some questions as to next year and it is impossible to replace the 3 Amigos. But I do not doubt that we will be very competitive in every game. Geno and company will have their work cut out for them but this is UCONN.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern right now would be rebounding. We are not big so how are we going to rebound against South Carolina, Texas, Baylor? ND isn't that big but they have a proven post and some good shooter plus what they are adding next year. Maryland has very good team and good recruiting class coming in. Geno has his work cut for him, I believe and will be rooting as hard as ever for out girls. He will earn his pay check next year. Should be a lot of fun.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Now that baseball season is here, I find it impossible to prognosticate about players I have not yet seen or a schedule not yet published.

For those of you with more prescience than me, especially the skeptics, I offer one admonition:

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

I'll pick up this narrative in about 190 days.:)

Reaction Score

If she turns out to be a major contributor to a team that goes to the Elite Eight or beyond, she would qualify as perhaps the biggest sleeper recruit of all time. I mean, really?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I doubt they will win that many more as the beginning of the season always has some of the tougher non conference opponents. But it doesn't bother me. They're going to lose sometime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom