Can Foley reverse the damage done? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can Foley reverse the damage done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can he do it in 2 weeks? Seems to be a huge ask.

How many practices are ther allowed? Is film time limited? What can the oline do on their own time?

Reaction Score
Traditionally, the best college football teams have a handful of key plays that they keep running until the other team proves they can stop them. In my opinion, the offensive line schemes/responsibilities will be simplified and the results will be better. The only question is how much better?

Well, it's more than just the best college football teams. Any football team that is successful from might mites to the NFL, has a handful of plays, and usually just one formation, that is their go to play for when it's time to move the ball, and pressure is on.

The questions really, is how much you want to build from there. Our problem in the past 2 seasons, is that we don't have a reliable Go To play.

I expect that to change this week.

Reaction Score
If Foley gets these guys clicking even a little bit, I think he has done a magnificent job. It would surely help to have Friend back, though. Hemingway isn't gainign 30 pounds by Columbus Day

Reaction Score
Id like see to some basic push from the line. Assignment blocking with physicality will be evident. I don't expect miracles, just modest improvement which will over the season.

Reaction Score
Get the sleds back out. Start pushing forward. Once we've got that down we can worry about formations. Of course I'm simplifying but you get my drift. Then we work on Carl's B&B plays.

Reaction Score
He's already trying though (from today's practice)...

foley - o=line.jpg

...and if they don't communicate better - I'm quite sure he will communicate it in language they WILL understand.

Reaction Score
The problem with the line isn't just the schemes. It is partly a personnel issue that needs to be addressed over a fairly long time. there isn't much depth there and the depth that is there like Hemmingway (6-5, 273) and Samra (6-2 285) are kind of small for their positions. Gifford is bigger but hasn't shown much in his appearances. The tight ends are on the smallish side too. So whether they are even capable of the kind of power blocking we had in the past is an open issue. You also have to wonder if Friend's injury will continue to linger and I question if Bennett has recovered from his multiple surgeries completely. A guy like Hemmingway can get bigger and stronger in the off season but he isn't getting there by next Saturday.Samra probably isn't going to be 6-5 by USF. Friend may or may not be healthy again. Add that it is pretty near impossible to change the schemes too much at this point. And those are the problems Foley faces.

Reaction Score
These guys are so psyched to have the real O-line coach back, I'll bet our ground game this week is 120-150 yards. When was the last time we did that since GDL took over the O-Line?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The problem with the line isn't just the schemes. It is partly a personnel issue that needs to be addressed over a fairly long time. there isn't much depth there and the depth that is there like Hemmingway (6-5, 273) and Samra (6-2 285) are kind of small for their positions. Gifford is bigger but hasn't shown much in his appearances. The tight ends are on the smallish side too. So whether they are even capable of the kind of power blocking we had in the past is an open issue. You also have to wonder if Friend's injury will continue to linger and I question if Bennett has recovered from his multiple surgeries completely. A guy like Hemmingway can get bigger and stronger in the off season but he isn't getting there by next Saturday.Samra probably isn't going to be 6-5 by USF. Friend may or may not be healthy again. Add that it is pretty near impossible to change the schemes too much at this point. And those are the problems Foley faces.

One thing that I am very curious about is how the former leadership viewed strength and conditioning. About five years ago there was a write up about our S&C coach winning some national award. All of our linemen (offensive and defensive) steadily added quality size during the RE years but for some reason players like Hemingway, Nwokeji, Adeyemi and even Gifford (who was ~ 290 when he got here) haven't added a whole lot of weight over the course of a couple of years. Did P & GDL de-emphasize this?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unless you know what play is called, what adjustments are made, and what blocking schemes are called ... It is very difficult to judge the o-line ... Even if you know what to look for.

Yes and no. Offensive line is very much a results oriented position. Was a hole opened? is the QB's jersey dirty? How many yards did the back gain before getting touched? Over the past year+, the line couldn't generate a push and couldn't open holes. Fine. No problem. Tweak something. It seemed that the former regime would either 1) yell louder, 2) blame talent.

If someone asks you a question in Italian, and you respond in English, they aren't going to understand you, no matter the volume of your voice. You have to figure out a way to communicate the answer or ignore them and move on. One answers the person's question, the other is what the former O-line coach seemed to do.

From all accounts, UConn has relieved itself of the first excuse (the kids don't understand). Let's see if the talent was really as lacking as they thought.

Reaction Score
The strength and conditioning issue is an interesting one. Might contribute to our 2nd half collapses, too. I think part of it is that zone blocking teams tend to have somewhat lighter lines than power blocking teams. Cincy's oline last year had some smaller guys but not 275 small. More like 290-300.
that's one example.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The strength and conditioning issue is an interesting one. Might contribute to our 2nd half collapses, too. I think part of it is that zone blocking teams tend to have somewhat lighter lines than power blocking teams. Cincy's oline last year had some smaller guys but not 275 small. More like 290-300.
that's one example.

I felt last years' line was undersized, deliberately so. This year weights are up to past numbers for upperclassmen. You can't expect freshmen linemen to put on that much weight and muscle so soon.

I know UCONN has a top S&C staff, curious if they were following P's gameplan or if the weight room/nutrition intensity wasn't up to snuff.

Bottom line is we are stuck with whatever physical attributes for the season. Best to focus on how they use them. We don't need to recreate the Donald Brown era, 120-140 yds a game on the ground with a more responsible passing game will do wonders in the win column.

Reaction Score
It somehow feels like a new season, doesn't it? What a nice shot in the arm...
It is opennimg day again.
Plus we have something new to talk about at the tailgate, the "old" conversation was getting"tired".

Reaction Score
Unless you know what play is called, what adjustments are made, and what blocking schemes are called ... It is very difficult to judge the o-line ... Even if you know what to look for.
If you watch the play a few times, you can usually figure it out, most of it anyway.
Talent you can see, adjustments not unless you know what didn't work before.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. Offensive line is very much a results oriented position. Was a hole opened? is the QB's jersey dirty? How many yards did the back gain before getting touched? Over the past year+, the line couldn't generate a push and couldn't open holes. Fine. No problem. Tweak something. It seemed that the former regime would either 1) yell louder, 2) blame talent.

If someone asks you a question in Italian, and you respond in English, they aren't going to understand you, no matter the volume of your voice. You have to figure out a way to communicate the answer or ignore them and move on. One answers the person's question, the other is what the former O-line coach seemed to do.

From all accounts, UConn has relieved itself of the first excuse (the kids don't understand). Let's see if the talent was really as lacking as they thought.

There are many ways that plays can result badly. The QB may get sacked ... but did the QB make the proper adjustment? Call the right protection scheme?

At the end of the Michigan game on the 3rd and 17 Chandler gets sacked. Did you notice that Michigan rushes only 3, but 4 guys on the left side of the O-line block 2 and leave Hemingway 1 on 1 with Frank Clark. Was that a blown read?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are many ways that plays can result badly. The QB may get sacked ... but did the QB make the proper adjustment? Call the right protection scheme?

At the end of the Michigan game on the 3rd and 17 Chandler gets sacked. Did you notice that Michigan rushes only 3, but 4 guys on the left side of the O-line block 2 and leave Hemingway 1 on 1 with Frank Clark. Was that a blown read?

I'd love to give Whitmer the benefit of the doubt as to who is the best QB on the team, but far too often, he gets sacked or turns the ball over in crucial situations (i.e. 3rd and short, long drive, inside the red zone, 2 minute drill). Given enough time (i.e. over 4 seconds), I don't see breakdowns as a referendum on the offensive line. This much I agree with you. However when adjustments on the field are not timely made and the entire stadium (generally) knows what play is about to be run, I put that on coaching. Far too often the previous regime would throw it right back on the players. Many believe that the talent is there and that Coach Foley is a better teacher/communicator/relater to the players. I'm hopeful that is the case and we will see one week from Saturday.

Related: in a perfect world, I'd also love to go to Cochran and save Boyle's 5th year. Alas, UConn Football does not exist in such a world.

Reaction Score
I'd love to give Whitmer the benefit of the doubt as to who is the best QB on the team, but far too often, he gets sacked or turns the ball over in crucial situations (i.e. 3rd and short, long drive, inside the red zone, 2 minute drill). Given enough time (i.e. over 4 seconds), I don't see breakdowns as a referendum on the offensive line. This much I agree with you. However when adjustments on the field are not timely made and the entire stadium (generally) knows what play is about to be run, I put that on coaching. Far too often the previous regime would throw it right back on the players. Many believe that the talent is there and that Coach Foley is a better teacher/communicator/relater to the players. I'm hopeful that is the case and we will see one week from Saturday.

Related: in a perfect world, I'd also love to go to Cochran and save Boyle's 5th year. Alas, UConn Football does not exist in such a world.

I agree with you on saving Boyle's redshirt ... but wouldn't it be great to see the team rally around Boyle and play with synergy?!?! I call it the Frank Reich syndrome. The Bills always seemed to play better and rally behind Reich whenever he had to play for an injured Jim Kelly. The Carolina Panthers learned about that the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom