Camp Preview Series by John Silver SNY | The Boneyard

Camp Preview Series by John Silver SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Silver drives me crazy with the typos and grammatical errors... I like his coverage but it seems like every article I read has mistakes... You write for a living, do it right.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Wow, this is awful. So an inch and one pound separate big from small?

"Shirreffs, 6-1, 216-pounds, is a big quarterback who can run."
"Anderson...is another running style quarterback, though on the small side at 6-foot, 215-pounds."

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/camp-preview-quarterbacks-2/
Good catch. Puts into question the validity of the article. Point of reference, both Hudl and Rivals list Anderson at 6'2", and even Silver himself reported on SNYUCONN in March that he was 6'2" and 230 lbs. So, size should not matter (hehe) as far as the QB competition is concerned. What matters is who can get the job done best.

Reaction Score
Silver drives me crazy with the typos and grammatical errors... I like his coverage but it seems like every article I read has mistakes... You write for a living, do it right.
Or as John would put it. You right for a living. Do it write.

Reaction Score
I noticed Silver didn't mention Rutherford in the O-Line preview. I would think he is in consideration for one of the Guard spots, no?

Reaction Score
I noticed Silver didn't mention Rutherford in the O-Line preview. I would think he is in consideration for one of the Guard spots, no?

He must have read your post.
"Editors note: Added Trey Rutherford to guard contention. Oversight on my part. He has a real chance to start and with Tommy Hopkins a major piece into the future."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I had not noticed his typos/errors until I read this thead....then I read the offensive line article and saw two...

"The loss of Crozier is a big blow to the line right out of the game."
"The Huskies will remains with Tyler Samra at one guard slot and Tommy Hopkins..."

And there are others. Pretty surprising how sloppy he is. I like his content...but he needs to clean up his grammar and typos.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Now I am reading the linebacker article...

"Vann is one of the more productive layers in the American"
"...and anyone of the incoming tight ends could be move if need be. "

Yikes....he really is pretty bad.

On a side note...after reading about the cornerbacks....

"Corner is where last year’s Jones’ injury will help out. Jhavon Williams and Jamar Summers will be thetop two corners while Javon Hadley and John Green are both early candidates for the backup corners and nickel slots. "

I think we need to come up with a name for them....the Flyin' J's (Jhavon, Jamar, Javon, John)

Reaction Score
Blue you can add player omissions to the list of mistakes.

Reaction Score
Silver is by far and away the best beat reporter. I can't kill him over blog posts he probably makes $25 on.
I don't disagree with you. At the end of the day it's really not a big deal, just a bit of a nuisance. With that said, I'll take his coverage with errors over most of the other clowns' content every day of the week.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Silver is by far and away the best beat reporter. I can't kill him over blog posts he probably makes $25 on.

I agree that he is good...I wouldn't say far and away the best..but he is good. At least as far as his content.

But seriously...he writes for a living..I don't...and I see many errors in his work. This isn't a hobby for him, it's his career. It feels like one read through before he hits submit would catch these mistakes. Its not like he wrote a 5000 word article. It's like 4 paragraphs. I would think if you are a writer you would have a little more pride in your craft...even if you are being paid $25. By the way, the sure fire way to continue to get paid $25 for an article is to act like you are only getting paid $25 for an article.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that he is good...I wouldn't say far and away the best..but he is good. At least as far as his content.

But seriously...he writes for a living..I don't...and I see many errors in his work. This isn't a hobby for him, it's his career. It feels like one read through before he hits submit would catch these mistakes. Its not like he wrote a 5000 word article. It's like 4 paragraphs. I would think if you are a writer you would have a little more pride in your craft...even if you are being paid $25. By the way, the sure fire way to continue to get paid $25 for an article is to act like you are only getting paid $25 for an article.

I think you'd need to be on his end of the equation to truly understand what he's up against.

I'm sure he'd love to write perfect copy. I'm sure he'd love that SNY actually have an editor between him and being published.

There is almost no coverage of this program at this point. We get this blog for free and he provides pretty solid insight.

But it's the Boneyard so the thread is about spelling mistakes and not talking about the team. Shocker.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think you'd need to be on his end of the equation to truly understand what he's up against.

I'm sure he'd love to write perfect copy. I'm sure he'd love that SNY actually have an editor between him and being published.

There is almost no coverage of this program at this point. We get this blog for free and he provides pretty solid insight.

But it's the Boneyard so the thread is about spelling mistakes and not talking about the team. Shocker.

I knew that was coming....lol. I guess I thought we could do both....

Hey....I like Silver and think he does a good job...I am just surprised he doesn't put more effort into proofing his copy.

By the way...he doesn't blog out of the goodness of his heart. He makes a living (I know it isn't lucrative) as a writer and the blog is part of his brand.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I knew that was coming....lol. I guess I thought we could do both....

Hey....I like Silver and think he does a good job...I am just surprised he doesn't put more effort into proofing his copy.

By the way...he doesn't blog out of the goodness of his heart. He makes a living (I know it isn't lucrative) as a writer and the blog is part of his brand.

I think that is what you are missing. Yes you see the writing. You don't see what 'writers' need to do to keep a small time newspaper running because they have eliminated all the employees who let writers focus on writing.

It's a handful of people getting paid peanuts keeping newspapers alive.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Put it this way - I would much rather Silver Narfle the Garthok (Gnarfle the Garthok? See what I mean?) every once in a while, over seeing a typo in the media guide from UConn, for example. That's totally fair game to roast, as it's a months-long/many eyes production. Silver's is a blog, so some corners can be cut, IMHO.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think that is what you are missing. Yes you see the writing. You don't see what 'writers' need to do to keep a small time newspaper running because they have eliminated all the employees who let writers focus on writing.

Its a silly topic...and I really don't think this is a big deal...but I have to make one more comment...

The bottom line is that you think Silver should be let off the hook for posting blog articles with multiple typos and grammatical errors because his industry is poorly financed and poorly resourced. I think that a writer should find 5 minutes after he writes a post to try and catch easily catchable errors. We both agree he delivers good content.

I still read and enjoy his work...i was just making an observation.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

Its a silly topic...and I really don't think this is a big deal...but I have to make one more comment...

The bottom line is that you think Silver should be let off the hook for posting blog articles with multiple typos and grammatical errors because his industry is poorly financed and poorly resourced. I think that a writer should find 5 minutes after he writes a post to try and catch easily catchable errors. We both agree he delivers good content.

I still read and enjoy his work...i was just making an observation.

Reaction Score
@cttxus said it best when he mentioned that it puts the validity of the authors work into question. I could give no less than two shyts about his typos but when a pound and an inch in height is the differentiation between big and small, then there is an issue. Because Silver doesn't know the difference between "anyone" and "any one" is not a concern of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom