Calhoun transfer from Duke | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Calhoun transfer from Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Exactly. That is why the smilie.
I miss a LOT of stuff. Br'er Bear! Does anyone know just what happened at the practice?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Obviously, someone knows, but it hasn't been made public (yet).

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
timing makes me assume she's headed to UConn....right after Edwards leaves and coincidentally there is a scholie....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The UConn staff gets reports on available players. I have to believe they know that Calhoun is a low-percentage shooter who really likes to shoot. It's not a good match

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
timing makes me assume she's headed to UConn....right after Edwards leaves and coincidentally there is a scholie....
There are only 10 scholarship players on the roster so Geno had schollies available even before Sadie left. Even if Briana and Tierney were given schollies, I honestly don't know if that's the case, he'd still have 3 available. So, no, the availability of scholarships wasn't a factor.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
There are only 10 scholarship players on the roster so Geno had schollies available even before Sadie left. Even if Briana and Tierney were given schollies, I honestly don't know if that's the case, he'd still have 3 available. So, no, the availability of scholarships wasn't a factor.

There you go again Nan, trying to fool us with the truth. And again the truth just gets in the way of what we want to believe.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The UConn staff gets reports on available players. I have to believe they know that Calhoun is a low-percentage shooter who really likes to shoot. It's not a good match
Hard to know what a player on one team will do in a different system with different teammates. Or on the same team with different teammates (see Sims with/with out Griner at Baylor.) She is a freshman on a team with little in the way of guards.

So Flynn mentions practice videos, then Calhoun incident - what videos? Anyone know?

As for Uconn - practices are a bear, but it seems when not on the court there is a pretty relaxed and fun environment around the team. Time for work/time for play and the line is clearly demarcated. I think the associate/assistant coaches and Geno himself do a really good job of providing a support structure as well with the whole Auriemma clan as back-up. Don't remember any issues with any of the transfers related to coaching - they all seemed to respect the process and left for personal reasons.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Flynn is a puke . The trouble with everyone being a reporter in the twitter etc era is that innuendo and slander by innuendo is so easy with no journalistic standards. So Mike, put up or shut up. Ranks right there with CViv's what Geno said "no human being should say to another human being." What did he say Viv; of course she was not in a position to hear what was said and RU AD later apologized. I would not give his rumor mongering any heed.

Reaction Score
could she be eligible mid-semester next year ?
If she finds a Juco, couldn't she play right away? If so, she could transfer up after May, and sit out only part of the season when she transfers.

Any and all transfer rules, questions, and answers can be found here:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2013.pdf

Basically, if Ms Calhoun transfers to another D1 school, she will have to spend an academic year(two semesters or three quarters at the school to which she transfers.

Reaction Score
Flynn is a puke . The trouble with everyone being a reporter in the twitter etc era is that innuendo and slander by innuendo is so easy with no journalistic standards. So Mike, put up or shut up. Ranks right there with CViv's what Geno said "no human being should say to another human being." What did he say Viv; of course she was not in a position to hear what was said and RU AD later apologized. I would not give his rumor mongering any heed.

Coach Stringer gets mentioned in a thread about a Duke transfer. Is Mr. Flynn still a puke if his tweets pan out? All indications suggest that he has tremendous knowledge and insights regarding the women's game, is well respected and does not have a reputation for posting comments that he cannot back up.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Coach Stringer gets mentioned in a thread about a Duke transfer. Is Mr. Flynn still a puke if his tweets pan out? All indications suggest that he has tremendous knowledge and insights regarding the women's game, is well respected and does not have a reputation for posting comments that he cannot back up.

If you don't see the parallel, I can't clear up your confusion. Yeah, he's still a puke, because if he has information he should put it out there or shut up. It's sort of like Pat S saying "Geno knows what he did." Less objectionable illustration? He throws out a hint for others to dig it out and make something of it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He can go off a little especially with players he has been involved with using a 'bully pulpit' kind of approach when he may only have the players perspective. Not saying he is wrong, and I do think with the NCAA stacked against the players it is not a bad thing to have a player advocate, but I do take some of his stuff with a grain of salt.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

He was making a reply. I don't think characterizing this as rumor mongering is fair. His followers wouldn't even see that tweet unless they went to his page specifically.

This is not him being a reporter. This is us being nosy and trying to draw conclusions from a couple words taken out of context from a larger conversation. Which I don't have a problem with, but to go to name-calling over a tweet that wasn't written for the general public doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Orangutan: "a tweet that wasn't written for the general public doesn't make sense to me." Don't get this. You stick it on the internet and better know you might as well have taken an ad in the NYT. Look, I'm not making war with Flynn and was a tad harsh, just that it is unfair all around to act like you have the scoop and then just drop a suggestive hint. Duke and its players who left have pretty much stayed tight lipped and I would expect nothing different in this case. Maybe Flynn was just trying to give his player some cover, but who saw her needing it?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orangutan: "a tweet that wasn't written for the general public doesn't make sense to me." Don't get this. You stick it on the internet and better know you might as well have taken an ad in the NYT. Look, I'm not making war with Flynn and was a tad harsh, just that it is unfair all around to act like you have the scoop and then just drop a suggestive hint. Duke and its players who left have pretty much stayed tight lipped and I would expect nothing different in this case. Maybe Flynn was just trying to give his player some cover, but who saw her needing it?

I agree with the bolded part. I just think there is a difference between saying something in reply and tweeting something to all your followers, even though both are public. To me, it's akin to overhearing a reporter talk in a bar as opposed to reading what he writes in a newspaper. The ethics of social media for media members is murky, though. I certainly don't claim to be an authority.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think "no one" is an exaggeration. I'm sure there are players who enjoy Geno's practices (Morgan Tuck and Kelly Faris come to mind as two likely possibilities), just as there are recruits who enjoy Marine basic training and law students who enjoy the first year at Harvard Law School. Many people enjoy Outward Bound experiences.

If you can feel yourself developing capabilities that you barely knew you had, and the results are apparent in games, you will have a sense of enjoyment to go along with the exhaustion.

It is the players who thought that they could coast along on their physical talent that have a rude awakening. Another group that may have difficulty are players who are discovering for the first time that there are other players on their team who are better than they are at what they thought they were good at. Saniya may belong to the latter category.

Off the top of my head:
Steph D., because she enjoys pretty much everything, including falling off risers in front of the national media.

Doty, because she was glad to be back.

Kelly Faris, because she's so intense naturally that a Geno practice is a walk in the park.
I think that is just serrendipity. Two unrelated events.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There are now tweets saying Sierra is trying not to have to sit out a year. Don't know what's going on or her reasons for this position if acurate Also a Tweet saying it was a safety issue that led to Sierra leaving Duke

Like most accusations, we'll probably never find out the real reasons.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There are now tweets saying Sierra is trying not to have to sit out a year. Don't know what's going on or her reasons for this position if acurate

Not possible. But then again, with the NCAA you never know!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not possible. But then again, with the NCAA you never know!
There is certainly a procedure to petition the NCAA and I think if it were something exception like a 'safety' issue and if Duke fully supported it, then she might have a chance of playing next fall.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are now tweets saying Sierra is trying not to have to sit out a year. Don't know what's going on or her reasons for this position if acurate Also a Tweet saying it was a safety issue that led to Sierra leaving Duke

Like most accusations, we'll probably never find out the real reasons.
As Tony has mentioned, and several of us are aware of, there is a rather "interesting" situation going on there at this time and IF it goes public, it will because Sierra's family wants that. AND if that happens, you bet we will know the whole story!

Reaction Score
Not possible.

Not true. I can think of at least 2 cases where players were allowed to transfer and not sit out a year.
(1) Penn St FB players after the Sandusky stuff became public.
(2) Baylor MCBB players after their coach helped cover up the circumstances behind one player's murder.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not true. I can think of at least 2 cases where players were allowed to transfer and not sit out a year.
(1) Penn St FB players after the Sandusky stuff became public.
(2) Baylor MCBB players after their coach helped cover up the circumstances behind one player's murder.

Those are correct. But we don't know what caused Sierra to leave Duke and transfer. There would have to be severe extenuating circumstances for the NCAA to rule in her favor. But as I said originally, with the NCAA you never know. And that was not said "tongue and cheek" either.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yes. Extremely rare, but possible. Extreme circumstances of one sort or another have to be present. That is what makes the whole thing so interesting. Omar Calhoun Sr. is no chump. He has been around sports for a while and knows a lot about how things work. He has also seen the video of the incident that started the whole thing and, if the rumor is true, it was he and his wife who insisted that Sierra leave Duke as a result of what they saw on that video. Now, given all this, if he, or Sierra at his instigation, is asking for instant elgibility, what conclusion would S. Holmes come to about all this? Any guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom