CA. High school blowout 161-2 | The Boneyard

CA. High school blowout 161-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Famously [well...maybe a little]...Lisa Leslie once scored about 106 points in a high school game....in the first half!
The opposing coach was sufficiently annoyed that he led the team from the court at halftime to the bus and they went home.

BTW: when the 1996 USA Olympic team practiced at UHart just before playing the UConn team leading up to those Olympics
[Rebecca on the USA team] a coach introduced each player to the assembled [including me] and she mentioned Lisa's
"accomplishment" to the crowd. And she did so in an approving way. I forget her name....she was coach at Purdue at some point
and occasionally did some TV analysis....it wasn't Peck...I just can't recall her name.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
According to ESPN, the coach was suspended... for 2 games... According to the losing coach, the winning coach used a full court press for the entire first half to lead 104-1. "I didn't play any starters in the second half." If he had to do it over again, he said he would play his reserves after the first quarter, or "I wouldn't play the game at all."

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
According to ESPN, the coach was suspended... for 2 games... According to the losing coach, the winning coach used a full court press for the entire first half to lead 104-1. "I didn't play any starters in the second half." If he had to do it over again, he said he would play his reserves after the first quarter, or "I wouldn't play the game at all."

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I just want to point out that, if indeed the subs played the entire second half and they didn't press in the second half (unknown) they still outscored the opponent by over 50 - 1.

His comment "or I wouldn't play the game at all" is probably a good choice. 2 points in a game?????? And, obviously, on foul shots (1 point each half).

That said, the idiot is the organization that set up this matchup.

Reaction Score
I don't think the coach should be fired for this game. The bad media press is enough heat for him. I just know that I could not press an entire half when I am up 30 points.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Back in the seventies, when Girl's high school sports were just getting started, there were many lop-sided scores. But, I remember that softball instituted the "slaughter" rule, something along the lines of a ten run lead, and the game was called. They currently have a similar rule in Little League.

If the two teams are in the same league, then they should play. However, a slaughter rule would be appropriate here, to avoid embarrassment, as well as putting a coach in a difficult situation. When I coached youth soccer, and was involved in an obvious mismatch, I just told my players to play keep away with the ball. It was good practice for them, and served to keep the score down.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference instituted a mercy rule in football, which has come to known as the Cochran Rule after coach Jack Cochran, after his teams would routinely run up scores like 77-0 or 81-10. I think the rule capped winning margins at 50. His teams loved him; the other schools, not so much.

Reaction Score
The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference instituted a mercy rule in football, which has come to known as the Cochran Rule after coach Jack Cochran, after his teams would routinely run up scores like 77-0 or 81-10. I think the rule capped winning margins at 50. His teams loved him; the other schools, not so much.
Cochran also had a habit of having his starters in the game, late in the second half, with those leads. That's why the rule was passed. BTW, one coach pulled his starters early and still won by more than 50, but the opposing coach asked the CIAC not to suspend him.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
As a referee I've seen many lopsided games and will say this..... Some schools should just drop sports especially new charter schools. They do not have the students to field decent teams. Nobody can guard, dribble or shoot. It's just plain sad.

If you have a team that is not very good, you work something out with the opposing coach before the game starts.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As a referee I've seen many lopsided games and will say this..... Some schools should just drop sports especially new charter schools. They do not have the students to field decent teams. Nobody can guard, dribble or shoot. It's just plain sad.

If you have a team that is not very good, you work something out with the opposing coach before the game starts.

Really? How does that work? Interesting. But bad team or not , if it's true this guy wouldn't play his bench after building such a gigantic lead what would you "work out" with a person like that. I say fire them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

His schools loved him so much he kept getting relieved of his duties.

Weird stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cochran also had a habit of having his starters in the game, late in the second half, with those leads. That's why the rule was passed. BTW, one coach pulled his starters early and still won by more than 50, but the opposing coach asked the CIAC not to suspend him.

He also had this weird habit of being chased out of town.

Reaction Score
And the players he recruited (to high school!) suddenly moved in with relatives in the town he was coaching in...

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Really? How does that work? Interesting. But bad team or not , if it's true this guy wouldn't play his bench after building such a gigantic lead what would you "work out" with a person like that. I say fire them.

They could have agreed not to press at all in the game. It's been agreed to many times. This may not necessarily prevent a blow out but it's something. The problem here, as stated before, his bench players were better than the entire other team. (57 -1 second half)

Sheldon(Big Bang Theory) vs Lebron James is not a game. The coach of the losing team should have forfeited. He knew his team was no match and agreed to the game. Don't make the game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Was the game a league game where the mTch up couldn't be avoided? Is the score indicative of how both of those programs perform from year to year? That's not to say keeping a press on after a certain point is okay, just wondered if the 2 point school is competitive against some teams or never.

The big flaw in the Cochran rule is that the game isn't stopped when another score by the leading team would cause a violation of the rule. Even if they don't throw the ball, if the losing team can't tackle a runner, is he supposed to just fall down? If so, it isn't football anymore, it's just run out the clock. Of course basketball plAyed with a shot clock also means the leading team in a rout can't help but maybe increase the lead unless they just hold the ball and don't shoot. Also no longer basketball. Obviously, out of conference obvious mismatches are a problem if the outcome is preordained, but every upper echelon team schedules at least. a few "cupcakes" every year and it isn't against the rules.

Reaction Score
Violations of the Cochran rule are subject to review by the state, and suspensions can be overturned if the coach was making a good faith effort to keep down the score. At least twice a suspension has been overturned in recent years. But it never would have been overturned for the type of deliberate running up of the score that Cochran practiced. He was a highly unethical person and coach.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Violations of the Cochran rule are subject to review by the state, and suspensions can be overturned if the coach was making a good faith effort to keep down the score. At least twice a suspension has been overturned in recent years. But it never would have been overturned for the type of deliberate running up of the score that Cochran practiced. He was a highly unethical person and coach.

The problem with the Cochran rule is that it looks at score, not conduct, and it's up to a committee to decide if the conduct is acceptable. The coach is in never never land. The choice is to intentionally let the other team score so that your team can still play offense without running the risk that intentions may be misread. Otherwise, unless they limit offense to running dive plays up the middle as a show of good sportsmanship even even if the other team couldn't tackle a mannequin, there are still questions of intent. Any semblance of a real offense leaves the coach open to question even if they never put the ball in the air once they are approaching Cochran territory. What they need is a mercy rule that says once the lead is 55 points or more at the end of the third period, the game is over. No judgement, nothing. Score could be 80-0 at that point and no questions asked. The likelihood of a team scoring way over 55 in three quarters is very small. Once they get into the 4th quarter, any score that puts the score over the 55 point separation ends the game. No inquiry, just end the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom