C. Vivian Stringer | The Boneyard

C. Vivian Stringer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Rutgers is apparently going to offer her a new contract. I have watched her for the past 15 years and seen her recruit good players who no longer develop into top college players. In Saturday's game the Rutgers players seemed to be defeated even before the game started. The way in which they carried themselves and their lack of energy and enthusiasm were a far cry from the Rutgers teams that consistently challenged Uconn. And Coach Stringer mostly sat on the bench and appeared to do little coaching. Well she did some coaching - Rutgers began to press Uconn with two minutes left in the game and behind by 40 points. It really does appear that the women's game has passed by Coach Stringer. I can't come up with a good reason for Rutgers to renew her contract. The Big 10 is not a strong women's basketball conference. But next year coaches like Kim Barnes Arrico are going to make mincemeat of the Scarlet Knights.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think this is a little unfair to her. I would probably have agreed with you last year, but the team this years seems to have some real offensive rhythm and surprisingly be slightly deficient defensively. As i was watching the game, i started thinking what a strange team it was - they don't shoot threes and they don't have a strong post player - and yet they have the best offensive team they have had in years.
As for yesterday's game - tough for a team to be missing its start offensive player against Uconn and be competitive. They are not deep and having Cooper out was a huge blow. She is integral to the offensive flow.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Maybe Courtney doesn't want to leave Princeton....

For me, it signals an administration without a lot of courage, vision or backbone. They want to settle. They don't want to spend the time and energy it would take to find a replacement and deal with the repercussions of removing C Viv. It's hard... we've seen that the seasons after a "legend" has been removed are not always pleasant.

Also, folks within RU can speak more to this, but it feels like there was a mini-golden age of RU athletics (Talking football, mens/women's ball) and that has passed - financially and politically. Thoughts?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

For me, it signals an administration without a lot of courage, vision or backbone. They want to settle. They don't want to spend the time and energy it would take to find a replacement and deal with the repercussions of removing C Viv. It's hard... we've seen that the seasons after a "legend" has been removed are not always pleasant.

Also, folks within RU can speak more to this, but it feels like there was a mini-golden age of RU athletics (Talking football, mens/women's ball) and that has passed - financially and politically. Thoughts?

Courtney was apparently ready to leave Princeton for USC (a reported finalist with Cooper-Dyke) but maybe she isn't interested in Rutgers.

Hermann has had a rough beginning as Rutgers' AD so perhaps that is playing in to this decision, i.e., settle, avoid unpleasantness.

Wholly unimpressive effort from Rutgers on Saturday.

Reaction Score

RU has been either cheap or fiscally responsible, depending on one's view on the subject, when it comes to paying their athletic department salaries since Bob Mulcahy was fired. When Schiano left they promoted his assistant. He hasn't been wildly successful. They are trying to upgrade that program now with the hiring of Ralph Fridgen as OC. Mens BB has been a problem for quite awhile. WBB was successful under both Grentz and Stringer - some years more than others. I think with the move to the B1G more money will be available for athletics and, if the AD makes good hiring decisions, the teams should improve.

As for CVS herself, I will be happy if they give her a new contract. The team this year is better than what you saw on Sunday. Copper, our leading scorer was injured and did not play. This caused Scaife to have to try to do too much and allowed the UConn D to focus on her. Our starting post player is going through a slump over the last few games and that didn't help either.

The OP is correct that we are not on UConn's level and we used to be competitive with them. Well, Villanova and BC used to be able to compete with you too. I don't put all the blame for this on Stringer. This season no one is competitive with UConn. While all teams should strive to be on their level, it isn't going to happen if the majority of top recruits choose to go to UConn. We were competitive with Louisville this season and I believe we will be at or near the top of the B1G next season. None of our players are graduating and we are bringing in a 3 point shooter. The contract renewal should also help recruiting as now the recruits and their families will know they will get to play for CVS if they choose RU and CVS is a good recruiter.

As for not developing players - the starting guards on the East WNBA Allstar team were both from RU. The only two really good post players we have ever had under CVS both went on to play in the WNBA. If you feel that they are from her glory days, rather than recent years, I would argue that the recruiting class of 2008 really set us back rather than moving us forward. Of those 5 players, only Sykes played in the WNBA and 2 of the 5 transferred to other programs - so they either they weren't developed by their new coaches or weren't good enough to begin with. The current group of players really seem to like each other and play well together.

By the time Stringer's new contract is up and she retires, we may be able to lure Geno to NJ with our B1G conference money and we won't have to settle for Ms Banghart. We have already had 2 Hall of Fame Coaches running the program, why not 3?

Reaction Score
I don't think all the good players go to UConn. Some do, but what is missing at RU is that CVS seems to be punishing her players for any mistakes. Geno encourages getting past mistakes with trust. Ok you missed, but now make it. Of course he doesn't tolerate playing mistakes too well, but that's what practice is for. Do it right in practice and then do it right in the game.
I think the RU fans have seen this too. Ignoring the bad mouth of UConn fans, read the other posts and you start to see a pattern about what they've been saying. IMO CVS has created an environment that must move to a place without her going forward.

Reaction Score
I think this is a little unfair to her. I would probably have agreed with you last year, but the team this years seems to have some real offensive rhythm and surprisingly be slightly deficient defensively. As i was watching the game, i started thinking what a strange team it was - they don't shoot threes and they don't have a strong post player - and yet they have the best offensive team they have had in years.
As for yesterday's game - tough for a team to be missing its start offensive player against Uconn and be competitive. They are not deep and having Cooper out was a huge blow. She is integral to the offensive flow.
not deep, and so very young.

Reaction Score
Courtney was apparently ready to leave Princeton for USC (a reported finalist with Cooper-Dyke) but maybe she isn't interested in Rutgers.

Hermann has had a rough beginning as Rutgers' AD so perhaps that is playing in to this decision, i.e., settle, avoid unpleasantness.

Wholly unimpressive effort from Rutgers on Saturday.
I agree with that UConnCat(about JH) and UcMiami about the OP being a little unfair even though I didnt see the game but from those that did. I had hoped for a more competitive game but since RU is so young and lacks depth these things happen. CVS is puzzling to me yet mother's and grandmothers who played for her from ODU or Cheney St?, Ia, and now RU swear by her and send her their children to get the same experience they had! Until this year I thought she was through but think watching this yrs team she's earned an extention for a last run at the elusive NC. UConn can make anyone look bad on given nights. Many here are too young to realize RU was an eastern power before anyone knew UConn had a WBB team right from the beginning(before Geno) and even last years 16 win season was unacceptable for CVS or us fans. Big dance or nothing. I'll give her 2 more yrs before I pass final judgement.

Reaction Score
not deep, and so very young.
Copper not Cooper...RU has a very bright future with this young team.
RU has been either cheap or fiscally responsible, depending on one's view on the subject, when it comes to paying their athletic department salaries since Bob Mulcahy was fired. When Schiano left they promoted his assistant. He hasn't been wildly successful. They are trying to upgrade that program now with the hiring of Ralph Fridgen as OC. Mens BB has been a problem for quite awhile. WBB was successful under both Grentz and Stringer - some years more than others. I think with the move to the B1G more money will be available for athletics and, if the AD makes good hiring decisions, the teams should improve.

As for CVS herself, I will be happy if they give her a new contract. The team this year is better than what you saw on Sunday. Copper, our leading scorer was injured and did not play. This caused Scaife to have to try to do too much and allowed the UConn D to focus on her. Our starting post player is going through a slump over the last few games and that didn't help either.

The OP is correct that we are not on UConn's level and we used to be competitive with them. Well, Villanova and BC used to be able to compete with you too. I don't put all the blame for this on Stringer. This season no one is competitive with UConn. While all teams should strive to be on their level, it isn't going to happen if the majority of top recruits choose to go to UConn. We were competitive with Louisville this season and I believe we will be at or near the top of the B1G next season. None of our players are graduating and we are bringing in a 3 point shooter. The contract renewal should also help recruiting as now the recruits and their families will know they will get to play for CVS if they choose RU and CVS is a good recruiter.

As for not developing players - the starting guards on the East WNBA Allstar team were both from RU. The only two really good post players we have ever had under CVS both went on to play in the WNBA. If you feel that they are from her glory days, rather than recent years, I would argue that the recruiting class of 2008 really set us back rather than moving us forward. Of those 5 players, only Sykes played in the WNBA and 2 of the 5 transferred to other programs - so they either they weren't developed by their new coaches or weren't good enough to begin with. The current group of players really seem to like each other and play well together.

By the time Stringer's new contract is up and she retires, we may be able to lure Geno to NJ with our B1G conference money and we won't have to settle for Ms Banghart. We have already had 2 Hall of Fame Coaches running the program, why not 3?

Very well stated Scarlett. I couldn't find the right words! Outside of maybe Staley(I omit Geno) CVS is about as good as it gets even though until this yr I thought maybe the game had passed her by. I agree that 1"08" class and EP deserting us set us back 3 yrs.

Reaction Score
So Rutgers is apparently going to offer her a new contract. I have watched her for the past 15 years and seen her recruit good players who no longer develop into top college players. In Saturday's game the Rutgers players seemed to be defeated even before the game started. The way in which they carried themselves and their lack of energy and enthusiasm were a far cry from the Rutgers teams that consistently challenged Uconn. And Coach Stringer mostly sat on the bench and appeared to do little coaching. Well she did some coaching - Rutgers began to press Uconn with two minutes left in the game and behind by 40 points. It really does appear that the women's game has passed by Coach Stringer. I can't come up with a good reason for Rutgers to renew her contract. The Big 10 is not a strong women's basketball conference. But next year coaches like Kim Barnes Arrico are going to make mincemeat of the Scarlet Knights.

Have you watched the progress of Scaife and Copper? Scaife will be rookie of the year, along with being on the all AAC team . And Copper will also be on the all AAC team. Or are we to conclude that they joined Rutgers as such talented players that it really didn't matter who was coaching them? If that's the case, then I guess the same could be said about, say, Jefferson and Stewart.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
What people don't realize, or if they do realize it....then they overlook it is the fact that if we didn't have CVS. We wouldn't be getting the players that we are....they wouldn't even have us on their lists.

Our players love CVS, they look at her as a second mother, they have always said how motherly and caring she is off the basketball floor. There was a story that was ran last year about how coach Stringer promised Erica Wheeler's mother when she was recruiting Erica that she would leave RU with a degree. Last summer Erica's mother passed away, and Erica leaned heavily on CVS and she graduated just like was promised.

So it's not all about wins or losses, it's not all about basketball. Coach Stringer does a lot more for these young women's lives then coach them on the basketball court. So I want CVS to stay at RU, and I want her there until she's decides to retire.

Also Rutgers & CVS are in the final stages of a renewal per CVS.

Also, I'm so excited that we're going to the B1G next season...so so so excited. Expect this team to challenge for the B1G title next year.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't think all the good players go to UConn. Some do, but what is missing at RU is that CVS seems to be punishing her players for any mistakes. Geno encourages getting past mistakes with trust. Ok you missed, but now make it. Of course he doesn't tolerate playing mistakes too well, but that's what practice is for. Do it right in practice and then do it right in the game.
I think the RU fans have seen this too. Ignoring the bad mouth of UConn fans, read the other posts and you start to see a pattern about what they've been saying. IMO CVS has created an environment that must move to a place without her going forward.

I think you'll see with any coach, including Geno, that they have shorter leashes for some players over others. There are also certain mistakes that irk coaches more than others. A lack of effort will get you pulled by almost any good coach.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just got on the board tonight and want to agree with the above posts by my fellow RU fans.

While I fear that Vivian may never win that elusive championship, I fully expect Rutgers to be competitive in the B1G next year (I don't expect they are going to win it). I also think next year there should be a Sweet 16 expectation at the least.

Reaction Score
I think we should stop administrating Rutgers- they have done well and will do well in the B10. RU reminds me a lot like Storrs- the players come because of the tradition (Vivian- and the respect parents and hs coaches have for her) and not the location of the life down at the bottom of the hill (even though many of us found it- or made the best of it). Vivian might have the same thought as Geno- In 5-years I would like to turn this over to a younger person, but first let us get through this phase (transition to/ joining the B10).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom