C Ikechukwu Obiagu (UConn Offer) | The Boneyard

C Ikechukwu Obiagu (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

His current "Crystal Ball" is 100% KU but they aren't listed above, which means it's likely anyone's game.

Looks to be a straight up shot-blocker right in the classic UConn-big mold. Also he plays on the Nike circuit, which seems to be a factor of more importance lately.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He plays on a nike circuit? Well he's basically ours then. But can he blocks shots?

Reaction Score
He is blocking shots of players 6" shorter.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
A center whose primary skill is shot-blocking? We don't like them around these parts...needs to be a rebounder instead. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How is that not a selling point for UConn? Regardless of NBA performance, UConn still turned him into the #2 overall pick.
Yeah, and as much as people don't want to believe it, AB is listed in the 40s in DX 2016 mock. that could easily turn into early 30s late first round depending on his season. thats a 3 star unknown that was able to make a name for himself.

Reaction Score
If I were recruiting him I would remind him we got Thabeet picked in the top 5. I'm kidding of course, but in my bizarro world that should be a selling point for Connecticut.

So your bizarro world includes the UConn staff mentioning Hasheem Thabeet (and Brimah, presumably) when recruiting a high school shot blocker? They probably mentioned those guys in the first conversation they ever had with the kid.

This kind of explains your Boatright hot take in the other thread, actually.

Reaction Score
I guess that means my bizarro world is in line with the sales pitch of the coaching staff. Good to know.

Only brought it up because I have some concern other programs are trying to push the 'Thabeet was a bust' angle. And turn that into some kind of negative against us.

Reaction Score
Well for starters Ollie had nothing to do with it.
I like what you are saying and agree to some level, but as a member of the Connecticut Basketball Family and the hand-picked successor to JC I think our entire history is relevant. It's relevant when KO sells 4 championships and I suspect recruits will think it's relevant.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Welp, thanks for joining the party, but I wasn't talking about Ollie. Just talking about UConn, hence, me asking how that isn't a selling point for UConn.
But how can he sell something he wasn't a part of? If it works great, but I don't see how that makes sense.

Reaction Score
Only brought it up because I have some concern other programs are trying to push the 'Thabeet was a bust' angle. And turn that into some kind of negative against us.

On the flip side, one could argue that Thabeet was never good enough to play in the NBA, yet we got him a big guaranteed contract and set him up for life. What other school could have done that?

Reaction Score
On the flip side, one could argue that Thabeet was never good enough to play in the NBA, yet we got him a big guaranteed contract and set him up for life. What other school could have done that?

Isn't that the only side? UConn turned Thabeet into the second overall pick in the draft. The fact that he flamed out when he got there isn't an indictment of UConn. Jim Calhoun made Hilton Armstrong a lottery pick. What happened after that was up to him.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry fellas, this is exactly the point i was trying to make. Apparently, I'm not doing a good job.

Reaction Score
Isn't that the only side? UConn turned Thabeet into the second overall pick in the draft. The fact that he flamed out when he got there isn't an indictment of UConn. Jim Calhoun made Hilton Armstrong a lottery pick. What happened after that was up to him.
I'm sorry fellas, this is exactly the point i was trying to make. Apparently, I'm not doing a good job.

Yes, it sounds like everyone is on the same page here. I don't think any opposing coach could use the failures of our NBA draft picks as a negative.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
According to Ozzie were pushing for him very hard. He's probably 10-15 months from making a decision though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom