BYU's "national presence"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
hartford-mormon-temple.jpg

Not a bad looking building, imo.

I can see this one from my house in Reno, NV. Nevada to the Big 12? We bring the Mormon community too!!!
Reno%20Temple%20From%20Below_D8B2784-L.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been up there in the northern reaches of Maine, where USGS survey maps that otherwise would be named based on local towns just have a grid number. They must be counting Mormon trees.

I think two,three families get you to 5% up there.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I don't know about the numbers for Mormons falling off, but they have been building a Temple in Farmington for the last year or so. This is a big deal since there are less than 100 Temples in the U.S.

Hartford Connecticut Temple

It is a major structure and changing the look of Farmington if you drive route 4. There must be a demand in the area.

This is another reason for the Big 12 to take us and BYU. We will have an instant fan base here.
From what I have read it is one of if not the biggest temples on the east coast. Its massive

Reaction Score
hartford-mormon-temple.jpg

Not a bad looking building, imo.
Yes, nice looking building.....but it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the conservative, New England style 1 floor shops and restaurants on Rte 4. I'm really surprised Farmington approved this. The pic doesn't tell the whole story. It is HUGE.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a total monstrosity that is completely out of scale with it's surroundings. I'm sure locals are going to love being stopped in traffic to let the parking lot empty. For no additional tax dollars.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think two,three families get you to 5% up there.
Well there are a couple of paper mills up there (most of the roads belong to the paper companies) so if 1 or 2 workers are LDS then there you go.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's a total monstrosity that is completely out of scale with it's surroundings. I'm sure locals are going to love being stopped in traffic to let the parking lot empty. For no additional tax dollars.
The temples are never full of enough people to impact traffic regardless of their size. They are considered sacred buildings and only certain Mormons are allowed in. We have a massive one in my neighborhood (see above) and I've never noticed any traffic impact (or more than a few cars in the lot) in my 11 years here.

Reaction Score
I don't think BYU is a lock as much as media claims them to be.

If they jump up to the big12, I believe BYU will have trouble recruiting high caliber non-Mormon talent. Will a non Mormon top star recruit want to go to BYU? With the whole LDS religion being 100% part of the campus life, it's honor code and weak 3.5% beer? Plus, BYU is not really a party school with it being tougher to drink, do drugs, get laid etc. As much as athletes want to win in sports, I know 17-18 old kids want to do those things.

BYU does get world wide top athletes that are LDS, however, other schools will benefit from the big12 bump in terms of recruiting, while BYU will still have 85% or so of just Mormon athletes.
(Not necessarily big12 talent)

Being in the big12, it adds an increased level of talent available to them compared to MWC. I just think some high talented athletes may choose to go elsewhere.

Plus big12 presidents have to deal with BYU's sexual assault and known rape culture with its honor code violations and reprucussions of its homophobic and LGBT views on campus.

With Baylor and its sexual assault issues, do you guys think UConn is in better standing with big12 presidents with Connecticut's affirmative consent law that just passed? (The so called "yes means yes" bill?)

Senate Passes 'Yes Means Yes' Bill Targeting Sexual Assault

Reaction Score
I don't think BYU is a lock as much as media claims them to be.

If they jump up to the big12, I believe BYU will have trouble recruiting high caliber non-Mormon talent. Will a non Mormon top star recruit want to go to BYU? With the whole LDS religion being 100% part of the campus life, it's honor code and weak 3.5% beer? Plus, BYU is not really a party school with it being tougher to drink, do drugs, get laid etc. As much as athletes want to win in sports, I know 17-18 old kids want to do those things.

BYU does get world wide top athletes that are LDS, however, other schools will benefit from the big12 bump in terms of recruiting, while BYU will still have 85% or so of just Mormon athletes.
(Not necessarily big12 talent)

Being in the big12, it adds an increased level of talent available to them compared to MWC. I just think some high talented athletes may choose to go elsewhere.

Plus big12 presidents have to deal with BYU's sexual assault and known rape culture with its honor code violations and reprucussions of its homophobic and LGBT views on campus.

With Baylor and its sexual assault issues, do you guys think UConn is in better standing with big12 presidents with Connecticut's affirmative consent law that just passed? (The so called "yes means yes" bill?)

Senate Passes 'Yes Means Yes' Bill Targeting Sexual Assault

If you think about it logically, all of this makes sense. But nothing so far that has come out seems logical in the slightest.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Matt: please I beg of you switch back that avatar. For the love of God.

McLovin..........NICE!!!!

I cannot get that outta my head each time you post

image.jpeg image.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't argue with that.

If nothing else, they can sit with Baylor at the conference picnic.

Except that a huge number of the people in Big 12 country share religious beliefs with the people at Baylor. That makes Baylor a much closer fit culturally than BYU. In my (limited) experience, evangelical Christians are some of the people who are most uneasy with LDS.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This could just be another kid with a fake ID or it could be McLovin, the 25 yr old Hawaiian organ donor.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

I'm not sure why this has to veer off in a debunking of their beliefs, but the mere mention of a religion tends to bring that out in people.

My only point is that attributing any national following to the BYU athletic department is extremely generous.

Isn't BYU the Mormon Notre Dame? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger