Byron Jones making a good impression | The Boneyard

Byron Jones making a good impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“We drafted a football player who we really think plays the right way and has a chance to develop a couple different spots for us,” coach Jason Garrett said.

CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler agreed, saying the Cowboys’ “aced” their first-round selection by taking Jones.

“The elation in the Cowboys’ war room once the [Baltimore] Ravens didn’t take Jones at 26 says it all,” Brugler said. “His tape is terrific. He matches up with anyone. He’s not flawless, needs work on some technique issues and to better utilize his long arms, but he was a great value pick at No. 27.

“The ‘workout warrior’ label is fair, as long as it’s accompanied by ‘a player who impresses on tape as well
.’”

Cowboys’ top pick Jones appears destined to work out, Dallas Star Telegram

Reaction Score
“We drafted a football player who we really think plays the right way and has a chance to develop a couple different spots for us,” coach Jason Garrett said.

CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler agreed, saying the Cowboys’ “aced” their first-round selection by taking Jones.

“The elation in the Cowboys’ war room once the [Baltimore] Ravens didn’t take Jones at 26 says it all,” Brugler said. “His tape is terrific. He matches up with anyone. He’s not flawless, needs work on some technique issues and to better utilize his long arms, but he was a great value pick at No. 27.

“The ‘workout warrior’ label is fair, as long as it’s accompanied by ‘a player who impresses on tape as well
.’”

Cowboys’ top pick Jones appears destined to work out, Dallas Star Telegram

Go figure, New Britain CT High School/UCONN kid is the #1 draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys! With all of the football talent in Texas high schools and Colleges, Byron Jones is #1. How freaking cool is that! Conrats Byron you did the state of CT proud.

As a Giant fan it's hard for me to say this but I will be rooting for you!

Reaction Score
Had a chuckle when I read this...

>>Byron Jones fits Garrett’s “right kind of a guy” mantra better than anyone. During his introductory news conference, Jones even took a line out of Garrett’s playbook, saying he approaches life just to “win every day.” Jones initially heard the phrase from his first college coach, Randy Edsall, and will surely hear it more often playing for Garrett.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Go figure, New Britain CT High School/UCONN kid is the #1 draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys! With all of the football talent in Texas high schools and Colleges, Byron Jones is #1. How freaking cool is that! Conrats Byron you did the state of CT proud.

As a Giant fan it's hard for me to say this but I will be rooting for you!

He didn't go to New Britain. He went to St. Paul.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Had a chuckle when I read this...

>>Byron Jones fits Garrett’s “right kind of a guy” mantra better than anyone. During his introductory news conference, Jones even took a line out of Garrett’s playbook, saying he approaches life just to “win every day.” Jones initially heard the phrase from his first college coach, Randy Edsall, and will surely hear it more often playing for Garrett.<<
It's a good thing for the Cowboys that the first round pick is an RKG. Their two highest free agent pickups and their #2 may not fall into that category.

Reaction Score
Dallas Cowboy.com Scouts Eye:

>>I continue to be impressed with what I have seen from Byron Jones lining up on that left side. What I have noticed about Jones is that in college there were snaps where he struggled to play in balance and that affected his play. Despite playing on a soft field the majority of the weekend, he has done a nice job of playing on his feet. It was interesting to hear him say that he needs to continue to work on his positioning in routes. That is an area that is vital to cornerback play in regard to denying the ball and closing down those windows the quarterbacks have to throw to. My early thought is that Byron Jones gets it and the fact that he is ultra-competitive only adds to his value.<<

MJD.

Reaction Score
Carr Open To Mentoring “Sponge” First-Round CB Byron Jones

>>IRVING, Texas – Asked during the rookie minicamp which Cowboys veteran he’s looking forward to learning from, first-round cornerback Byron Jones answered Brandon Carr because of Carr’s press coverage skills and similar body type.

Indeed, in the short time since Jones became a Cowboy, Carr says the rookie has been a “sponge” soaking up as much information as possible.<<

Reaction Score
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...bs-the-wow-factor-and-tony-romo-at-otas.html/

>>What was impressive? Byron Jones’ talent just jumps out at you. His athleticism, his burst, his fluidity. That doesn’t translate into being a shutdown corner Week 1, but there’s a few guys like DeMarcus Ware, you looked at him and said, “Wow.” I hate to make the leap he’s DeMarcus Ware, but you look at Jones and he looks like a corner, he’s physical he’s got the length he’s got the tools going against bigger receivers. He’s played safety and he’s been in a situation where he’s had to hit people.<<

Reaction Score
Witten Against Jones Takes Top Spot In Broaddus’ 12 Thoughts From OTAs

>>1). I admire the fight that Byron Jones has in the way that he plays. To the rookie’s credit, he didn’t back down from the challenge of having to cover one of the all-time great tight ends in NFL history on Wednesday. Jason Witten might not be able to get up the field like he did six or seven years ago, but he is still a handful and Jones learned this the hard way. What was impressive about Jones is how physical he was at the line with Witten -- which is the only chance he had. Jones did the right thing by attacking him. As a defender you cannot allow Witten to get up the field because he is going to lean on you to buy separation, which has always been an effective trait in his game. Once Witten gets that space, he is not going to allow you to recover to get back into position. Jones showed nice strength to be able to hold onto Witten, which could have drawn a flag or two -- and from the looks of things that could have been the case. But it was a promising sign that Jones didn’t shy away from the opportunity.<<

Reaction Score
>>The defensive coaches continue to roll Byron Jones between corner and safety. Corey White was the backup on Tuesday at safety while Jones played corner. On Wednesday, those roles were switched. Jones was in the back half while White was on the outside. I was asked by a fan on Twitter if I thought that if White played well enough at safety, would that allow Jones to stay at corner. If it is about playing your four or five guys and Jones is one of those guys, I have no problems pairing him with Barry Church and not looking back if it gets him on the field.<<

Reaction Score
Camp v liseout comment by Bryan Broaddy s today:
"..Byron Jones continues to practice like he has been in this league for five years. Not only does he have physical talent, but mental talent as well. In the red zone, he made a veteran play on a ball by jamming Terrence Williams on the line, realizing Williams was going nowhere and then adjusting his coverage by dropping back and making Brandon Weeden have to throw the ball over the top of him to Cole Beasley. Weeden was unable to get it there and the pass fell incomplete. Just a really nice heads up play by Jones..."

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

"I counted three different defensive spots that Byron Jones played against the Vikings. He was a cornerback, a safety and a nickel linebacker. Even with the loss of Orlando Scandrick, I see no reason why we won't continue to see him get this type of work. But my gut feeling is that he will most likely end up as a safety."

-After the Cowboy's preseason home opener Saturday night vs the Vikings

Reaction Score
IMG_20150831_215828.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members