Byron Jones broad jump combine record | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Byron Jones broad jump combine record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The best part of Byron's incredible performance is that every NFL team will now be at our Pro-Day on Mar 31st. Regardless of all the film that's out there, what a great opportunity for other Huskies to show off their skills to an audience they might never have a chance to interact with. Plus the football world, and the folks that get paid to talk about it, will get a great chance to see and tour our facilities, interact with our coaches and get an overall better feel for our program. Given our current conference predicament, every little bit helps!

Reaction Score
Not taking anything away from Jones cause he sure is an athlete, but we need talent, not 2 star talent. 2011 5-7, 2012 5-7, 2013 3-9, 2014 2-10. Two star players produces these types of records just saying, but anyway good for you Byron.

A perfect spot for the "Not sure if serious" meme . . .

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The best part of Byron's incredible performance is that every NFL team will now be at our Pro-Day on Mar 31st. Regardless of all the film that's out there, what a great opportunity for other Huskies to show off their skills to an audience they might never have a chance to interact with. Plus the football world, and the folks that get paid to talk about it, will get a great chance to see and tour our facilities, interact with our coaches and get an overall better feel for our program. Given our current conference predicament, every little bit helps!

Good point about paying it forward. His performance at the combine will allow current UConn players to be seen by NFL scouts and personnel men.

Hopefully Diaco takes advantage of this teaching moment for the current team. Take care of yourself and you provide opportunities for others. Part of the trust/teamwork/comraderie thingamajingy.

Reaction Score
Looks like Byron is making a segment of the CBS Evening News called a leap of faith

Reaction Score
Maybe not on BY, but I've seen comments on various other social media or news sites from so-called UConn fans and Pasqualoni apologists bashing this recruiting class when Diaco has only been here a year and this is his first full recruiting class. I've read absurd comments from fans that would have you believe they fired Bear Bryant for Diaco. Be it the Courant comment section or Facebook fan pages, it's out there.

I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this.

Reaction Score
Not taking anything away from Jones cause he sure is an athlete, but we need talent, not 2 star talent. 2011 5-7, 2012 5-7, 2013 3-9, 2014 2-10. Two star players produces these types of records just saying, but anyway good for you Byron.
What uconn needs is MORE athletes of the ilk of Byron Jones, regardless of stars or offers.

Reaction Score
Nobody has ever said that. Literally nobody.

Come on, Jimmy. The guy whose post elicited all the responses that you think are "ruining the board" has been consistent in his stance that stars are the only thing that matters. It was a d!ckish post that deserved the responses it got.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Byron Jones, future Oakland Raiders 1st round draft pick!
Al Davis died a few years ago. But good try. If you have followed the Raiders since McKenzie has taken over, they aren't H/W/S kind of draft mind set they were under Davis. And yes I am a Raider fan.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this.

You've never read commentary from anywhere other than the Boneyard. Go ahead and tell me I'm making it up again, I'll drop it for you. My whole point is that stars don't matter, or is that way over your head for some reason.

image.jpg
image.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So did this end up really being a world record?

How the hell did a college football cornerback get a world record in this and not some Olympian who trains for the event (or similar event as I'm not even sure if this if part of track and field).

Reaction Score
Commenters on Courant articles make this place look like a MENSA convention...painful to read and best avoided.

True, I know. I wasn't going to screenshot it, but apparently the idea that anyone would badmouth this coach, program, or the athletes that come here and borderline defend Pasqualoni is somehow unfathomable to some people for whatever the reason.

Reaction Score
So did this end up really being a world record?

How the hell did a college football cornerback get a world record in this and not some Olympian who trains for the event (or similar event as I'm not even sure if this if part of track and field).

The standing broad jump hasn't been an Olympic event for nearly a century.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True, I know. I wasn't going to screenshot it, but apparently the idea that anyone would badmouth this coach, program, or the athletes that come here and borderline defend Pasqualoni is somehow unfathomable to some people for whatever the reason.

I wouldn't call that a defense of P. It was just especially savage towards Diaco.

Reaction Score
You've never read commentary from anywhere other than the Boneyard. Go ahead and tell me I'm making it up again, I'll drop it for you. My whole point is that stars don't matter, or is that way over your head for some reason.

View attachment 8581 View attachment 8582

I've seen much dumber stuff posted here. But I still didn't see anyone state that we need a top 25 recruiting class to compete.

And we've gone over the recruiting stuff as nauseum. Frankly there are too many people who get their sensitivities hurt when discussing the reality. WingU has a solid thread about that. Go there and discuss it like an adult if you wish. This should be about Byron.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The standing broad jump hasn't been an Olympic event for nearly a century.

So basically the only people that do it are the guys at the combine? Still pretty unbelievable that our guy has the record.

Reaction Score
I've seen much dumber stuff posted here. But I still didn't see anyone state that we need a top 25 recruiting class to compete.

And we've gone over the recruiting stuff as nauseum. Frankly there are too many people who get their sensitivities hurt when discussing the reality. WingU has a solid thread about that. Go there and discuss it like an adult if you wish. This should be about Byron.

The closest I've seen is UConnFamily posting that we will not consistently beat teams made up of mostly 3, 4 and 5 star athletes with a team made up mostly of 2 star guys, which conveniently ignores that

1) We have done so in the past, under a prior regime,
2) Our opponents in-conference will not be "made up" of 4 and 5 star players.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The closest I've seen is UConnFamily posting that we will not consistently beat teams made up of mostly 3, 4 and 5 star athletes with a team made up mostly of 2 star guys, which conveniently ignores that

And that other teams do so on a consistent basis.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If someone posted that playing the Daily Numbers is a bad investment, we'd get a post everytime someone saw a ticket cashed at a gas station as if it was argued nobody ever wins.

I largely agree with you about offers as a better measurement of talent level... but I think when you say stuff like the Daily Numbers you're downplaying what went on here in the past. I think 2* recruits are much more like micro/nano cap stocks. If you're an excellent at evaluation and projection you can make a killing and out perform your peers. It's what Edsall did here. It's what Rich Rod did at West Virginia... it's how teams like TCU and Boise State got great. It's MUCH MUCH harder to do...but if you're in the AAC and if you're recruiting territory includes upstate New York, Mass, and New Hampshire... you better be able to do it.

Reaction Score

Then that's just a case of sarcasm being lost on you with the Top 25 remark. Never did I claim that as a quote or an exact reference; nor was that ever solely the point. If you're over the topic of recruiting rankings that's one thing, and understandable. But to flat out shoot down my entire point altogether is incredibly flippant and holier than thou. My original point was that this is yet another (small) example as to why recruiting rankings, while having their place to some capacity, sure as h*ll isn't the gospel when it comes to projecting a players potential for success on any level. Instead, it's now strung out into a 5+ post debate because you wanted to poke holes and fact check a one line statement down to the letter. If you have a certain segment of the fan base stating that this class isn't D1 caliber, or complaining about recruiting rankings, or insinuating that the Pasqualoni regime was any better overall compared to Diaco's one year as a rookie head coach, then that's clearly a reflection of their expectation that Chris Clark and Snoop Dogg's son were well on their way to UConn until that d^mn Diaco showed up and f••ked it all up -- hence the Top 25 remark. Apart from any of that, I really don't understand what makes you think I'm just here to pi•ss on Byron's parade or moment. Quite the opposite, but take it how you want to.

...That is all.

Reaction Score

OK, I'll grant you that one. It was a dumb post by UConnFamily.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Offers actually are a textbook evaluation of talent by professionals. Do you think the NFL draft isn't an evaluation of talent either? They don't have statisical significance except for the obvious correlation in the regression. Bonus statistic that correlates perfectly: 31-49. I hope that your constant arguments against logic and evidence are satisfying whatever emotional need you have for your version of reality to be correct. So desperate to sell your version that you have to pathetically share your academic credentials to attempt to give your argument credibility. You can continue to recite your mantra until the end of time, but anyone who is willing to accept how the sport functions understands that at an aggregate level offers matter.

The only thing I would argue a little differently is that the 31-49 has a lot more to do with the star rating/effectiveness of the QB position than it does across the board. Recruiting could remain the same with a legit 4* QB and that record is a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom